Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just ask those same people how many times they've watched the entirety of The Office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
When I explain to someone why I want to own blu rays, the first thing I usually say is that I enjoy rewatching my favorite movies on a yearly basis. Once they understand that they kinda get why I'd want to have those movies around without having to depend on a streaming service. But yea for most people movies are the plot, and once they've seen the plot that's it, there's no reason to ever go back to it again.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I'm a movie rewatcher at heart, but these days I don't really have the time to both rewatch all my old favorites and enjoy new movies. But still I'll buy interesting blu rays more as a collector who just loves the fact that Tammy & the T-Rex got an unedited gore cut in 4K. I mean I also buy records more for the novelty of owning them than actually listening to them, even if they're albums I'm into (or just think are funny).

I recently rewatched Cabin Boy on blu ray, and I was surprised to find that it didn't hold up despite the fact that in the intervening years I discovered Get a Life and loved it. It's basically Get a Life: The Movie but I just could not get into it. That movie has some serious pacing issues and like 90% of the jokes don't land. Maybe it was just me and my mood at the time, I dunno.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Cabin Boy is flawless. :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

Cabin Boy is flawless. :colbert:

:emptyquote:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For me it's more about mood than the amount of free time I have. Sometimes I really want to engage with something completely fresh and new, but just as many times I'll get home from work and feel more like sliding into a comfortable old favorite.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Then maybe it was just my mood :shrug:

I was delighted by Russ Tamblyn as Chockie, made all the better by having seen Twin Peaks. And I never knew until recently that Ricki Lake was the figurehead. Like, that's dedication to have stunt casting like that for what amounts to a throwaway gag.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

For me it's more about mood than the amount of free time I have. Sometimes I really want to engage with something completely fresh and new, but just as many times I'll get home from work and feel more like sliding into a comfortable old favorite.
Same.
It's even worse with kids.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

:same:

I also have a roommate to factor into the mix, so my time to watch "my movies" gets relegated to weekend mornings/afternoons or the occasional evening when she's not around. It's not that I can't watch movies when she's around, it's just trickier since I know she's not going to be interested in watching 2001 or Critters 2.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I currently live with some rather noisy roomies that make watching anything slow paced or atmospheric a complete nightmare.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

But then how will he make half a dozen Avatar sequels that nobody wants?

Mos people think it's a minor Carpenter but I like it a lot because it's super wacky and really fun. I also found it to be a better Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie than the actual Hitckhiker's Guide movie.

edit: I also just remembered that it's very similar in premise to Alien and I wonder if Dan O'Bannon purposely used Dark Star as the skeleton of Alien.

Makes me wonder what Carpenter Alien movie would be like.... :wiggle:

Iron Crowned posted:

As a side note, does anyone else here ever encounter people who seem shocked that you'd watch a movie more than once?

Whenever we have guests at the apartment and they go down the hallway towards the master bedroom and on the corner before the door there's a shelf full of like 500 UHD/Blu-Rays/DVD's/VHS... its all mine and they ask if i really need all that.

yes i do you schmuck, how dare you :colbert:

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

I also have a roommate to factor into the mix, so my time to watch "my movies" gets relegated to weekend mornings/afternoons or the occasional evening when she's not around. It's not that I can't watch movies when she's around, it's just trickier since I know she's not going to be interested in watching 2001 or Critters 2.
my partner and none of our roommates enjoy my particular kind of movies. they're all firmly in the "easy to watch" (romance, bad comedies and holiday) films. so me putting on Stalker or Blue Velvet on in the living room will probably never happen. thankfully the OLED is in the bedroom so all my movie watching gets done there, usually with noise cancelling headphones on while my partner sleeps because she gets nightmares.

the big baby.

dont tell her i said that.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm blessed in that I have a group of friends who as a yearly tradition crowd into a single room and watch Freaked. That's going down tomorrow and I'm super excited.

Gonna have to bring along a copy of Cabin Boy, too.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

dorium posted:

uh-h... Prince of Darkness?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ringu0 posted:

uh-h... Prince of Darkness?

yeaaaaaaaa i suppose

but with an alien and not the devil.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

dorium posted:

If only he had ever made a movie about a small crew of professionals stuck in a confined space with a dangerous extraterrestrial creature

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

I'm blessed in that I have a group of friends who as a yearly tradition crowd into a single room and watch Freaked. That's going down tomorrow and I'm super excited.

I haven't seen Freaked since the time I watched it on an HBO or Showtime free preview weekend in 1996.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My friends and I are in a horror/cult film club that lets you program a movie for the theater to show after a set number of visits. My buddy chose Freaked and the audience reaction was pretty great.

My movie was Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight. :clint:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't seen Freaked since the time I watched it on an HBO or Showtime free preview weekend in 1996.
It's aged life a fine wine, it's such a perfectly stupid loving movie. Bonus points for being a movie released in 1993 featuring Mr. T as The Bearded Lady and not being a transphobic mess. :hellyeah:

Also: this baby should be hitting my doorstep today:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

UNDERRATED GEM. Billy Zane is just the best in it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

CPL593H posted:

But then how will he make half a dozen Avatar sequels that nobody wants?

Mos people think it's a minor Carpenter but I like it a lot because it's super wacky and really fun. I also found it to be a better Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie than the actual Hitckhiker's Guide movie.

edit: I also just remembered that it's very similar in premise to Alien and I wonder if Dan O'Bannon purposely used Dark Star as the skeleton of Alien.

You’re wondering if the guy who wrote them both realized they were similar?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

It's aged life a fine wine, it's such a perfectly stupid loving movie. Bonus points for being a movie released in 1993 featuring Mr. T as The Bearded Lady and not being a transphobic mess. :hellyeah:

UNDERRATED GEM. Billy Zane is just the best in it.

Yeah, I remember it owning.

It also was weirdly released, like it was hyped up in Fangoria, I remember reading a Jr. Novelization in about 1994, it never released in theaters, and then it got dumped on HBO (or something like that). I think the only home release it got was an OOP DVD.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Apparently the studio switched hands in the middle of filming and the new heads of Fox hated it and buried the film. Anchor Bay put out a 2 disc special edition packed with features (including a full table read of the entire movie) and there was a single barebones Blu-ray release, which is also out of print. Alex Winter said he was working on a deluxe Blu, but with the Disney buy-out that probably isn't happening.

RIP Freaked, you were too beautiful for this world. :smith:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Freaked has picked up a lot of momentum over the last year. I went from not knowing anything to seeing it all over my corner of the internet in a month. I even showed the trailer to a friend the other day, spreading the good word. Hopefully with Bill and Ted 3 coming out this year it can get a re release with a loose tie in. Seems like a perfect Shout release.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

Apparently the studio switched hands in the middle of filming and the new heads of Fox hated it and buried the film. Anchor Bay put out a 2 disc special edition packed with features (including a full table read of the entire movie) and there was a single barebones Blu-ray release, which is also out of print. Alex Winter said he was working on a deluxe Blu, but with the Disney buy-out that probably isn't happening.

RIP Freaked, you were too beautiful for this world. :smith:

That just makes it even sadder, although it's right up just about every boutique label's alley, a VinSyn UHD would be amazing.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Iron Crowned posted:

It really is amazing to me just how "right" 2001 got space, especially when you start looking at the fact that it was made before the moon landing. The killer apes sequence is probably the most dated portion of it but, it was released 6 years before they discovered Lucy, and I think that was the prevailing hypothesis at the time.

Pretty sure we knew evolution was a thing before Lucy, yes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Happy Hippo posted:

Pretty sure we knew evolution was a thing before Lucy, yes.

We knew evolution was a thing, but Lucy wasn't discovered until 1970, and Mitochondrial Eve wasn't a thing until something like 1986.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Freaked is a film I recognize as my “always on HBO in the afternoon when I got home from school.”

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My friends and I are in a horror/cult film club that lets you program a movie for the theater to show after a set number of visits.

This is cool as hell

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My friends and I are in a horror/cult film club that lets you program a movie for the theater to show after a set number of visits. My buddy chose Freaked and the audience reaction was pretty great.

Alamo Drafthouse Houston? My wife was the weirdo that picked The Voices.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvantum posted:

I like The Voices a whole lot

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I still laugh to myself whenever I think of “Super MEGA FREEK LAND!!!”

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kvantum posted:

The Katy one? That theater is loving awesome, that's where I saw Tammy and the T-Rex gore cut.

I miss Alamo Vintage Park, though. :smith: loving Studio Movie Grill.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kvantum posted:

Yup! I wasn’t there for that one, but I dig that movie.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Katy one? That theater is loving awesome, that's where I saw Tammy and the T-Rex gore cut.

I miss Alamo Vintage Park, though. :smith: loving Studio Movie Grill.

Vintage Park was nice, way nicer than the lovely old Mason Park one Graveyard Shift used to meet at. La Centerra is pretty good, the only downside is it’s an hour drive for me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

Bonus points for being a movie released in 1993 featuring Mr. T as The Bearded Lady and not being a transphobic mess.

My favorite anecdote from the audio commentary was where they said that Mr T would only agree to play the Bearded Lady if they took out the part where Skuggs said he'd "be better off without a dick", because it'd imply that he, Mr T, didn't have a dick. So in the flashback they didn't have Randy Quaid read the line, but ADR'd the line in anyways.

Fiddle Faddle?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

My favorite anecdote from the audio commentary was where they said that Mr T would only agree to play the Bearded Lady if they took out the part where Skuggs said he'd "be better off without a dick", because it'd imply that he, Mr T, didn't have a dick. So in the flashback they didn't have Randy Quaid read the line, but ADR'd the line in anyways.

Fiddle Faddle?

That’s such a good line too! Especially with how quick it’s followed by “but you can keep the beard!”

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

VinSyn did manage to license at least one Fox film, Catch My Soul (part of the obscure Metromedia library that also includes the 70s Tales from the Crypt), but that was way before the buyout.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Everyone should be jealous of my Freaked cardboard standee that I’m hoping is still in my parents attic. The other side was the John Candy oft forgotten movie Wagons East.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Iron Crowned posted:

It really is amazing to me just how "right" 2001 got space, especially when you start looking at the fact that it was made before the moon landing. The killer apes sequence is probably the most dated portion of it but, it was released 6 years before they discovered Lucy, and I think that was the prevailing hypothesis at the time.

As a side note, does anyone else here ever encounter people who seem shocked that you'd watch a movie more than once?

I know someone who is the opposite of this. He almost exclusively watches poo poo he's already seen and hasn't set foot in a movie theater in over twenty years. I don't know how anyone can live like that.

Side note, at this point I've seen Tammy and the T-Rex six times.

Basebf555 posted:

When I explain to someone why I want to own blu rays, the first thing I usually say is that I enjoy rewatching my favorite movies on a yearly basis. Once they understand that they kinda get why I'd want to have those movies around without having to depend on a streaming service. But yea for most people movies are the plot, and once they've seen the plot that's it, there's no reason to ever go back to it again.

If you're someone who does like to go back to stuff or just wants to show the movie to other people owning physical copies is the way to go because of the way streaming services keep fracturing or otherwise pulls poo poo. A blu-ray on your shelf can never be revoked.

King Vidiot posted:

I mean I also buy records more for the novelty of owning them than actually listening to them, even if they're albums I'm into (or just think are funny).

BURN THE HERETIC!

DeimosRising posted:

You’re wondering if the guy who wrote them both realized they were similar?

No I'm wondering if he purposely went "He he, I'm making the stupid movie into the scary movie." or if he was hired to make a script for Alien and deliberately recycled Dark Star stuff into it or that was just the direction he had to take. I know a good amount of stuff about the actual production but not how/why the script came to be. If I recall correctly it was supposed to be more of a low grade b-horror until all the Dune people suddenly found themselves unemployed.

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I remember it owning.

It also was weirdly released, like it was hyped up in Fangoria, I remember reading a Jr. Novelization in about 1994, it never released in theaters, and then it got dumped on HBO (or something like that). I think the only home release it got was an OOP DVD.

I have that issue of Fangoria. The film is referred to under it's original title, Hideous Mutant Freekz.

Iron Crowned posted:

That just makes it even sadder, although it's right up just about every boutique label's alley, a VinSyn UHD would be amazing.

Boycott Vinegar syndrome until they release the special edition Freaked blu-ray!

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Lionheart is currently only $10 at Amazon. MVD Rewind usually does a really good job with their releases, especially the Van Damme titles. I'm hoping they put out a special edition of Death Warrant this year, as it's my favorite classic Van Damme film, and the current disc lacks any sort of special features. However, it does feature Van Damme fighting a guy who's completely on fire. 13-year old me endlessly marks out to that scene.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

VinSyn did manage to license at least one Fox film, Catch My Soul (part of the obscure Metromedia library that also includes the 70s Tales from the Crypt), but that was way before the buyout.

I really do hope that Disney doesn't just vault the "oddities" from the Fox library forever. I really wouldn't put it past them to be depraved enough launch a competitor label to the boutiques just for that purpose either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I know I brought it up before and Egbert clarified it, but Disney subsidiaries have listened before mostly through Criterion and Kino, so there’s a chance.