Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

Jesus christ, this is official art and yet it's genuinely worse than a lot of terrible fan art I've seen in my life.

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1222748290510282752

Sometimes I have a hard time reconciling poo poo like this and also realizing that the dragon ball franchise made over 1.18 billion USD in 2019 alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That can't be Trunks on the cover? looks nothing like him

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
:wrong: Super Saiyan God is supposed to slim you down, not bulk you up

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

I admit I love the absolute hell out of evil bastard Frieza.

Also if you ever need a visual indication of how popular Super/Dragonball as a whole is...

https://twitter.com/michsuzu/status/1222828482931019777?s=20

Poor Yokai Watch.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

Jesus christ, this is official art and yet it's genuinely worse than a lot of terrible fan art I've seen in my life.

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1222748290510282752

who's the guy on the right?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
SSG Trunks apparently, given what others in the thread have said.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

he looks almost nothing like him imo

is this part of dragonball heroes or something?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
loving Ben 10 was more popular in Japan than Dragon Ball for a significant period of time?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

loving Ben 10 was more popular in Japan than Dragon Ball for a significant period of time?

Dragon Ball more or less didn’t exist for about a decade

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Half of Dracula posted:

:wrong: Super Saiyan God is supposed to slim you down, not bulk you up

:wrong: This is probably the Legendary Super Saiyan Rage God form.

ImpAtom posted:

I admit I love the absolute hell out of evil bastard Frieza.

Also if you ever need a visual indication of how popular Super/Dragonball as a whole is...

https://twitter.com/michsuzu/status/1222828482931019777?s=20
DB has survived pretty long then. How the hell is Gundam still so big? I thought Mecha anime/mange were pretty dead at the moment.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They keep making new Gundams and some are very popular I would assume.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

They also have several spin offs like Build Fighters running alongside the main Gundam anime

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I haven't been interested in a gundam since G gundam. What is it about gundam that keeps it alive? Did they hit on a bland but consistent formula that just works?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I haven't been interested in a gundam since G gundam. What is it about gundam that keeps it alive? Did they hit on a bland but consistent formula that just works?

Build Fighters (a charming sports action-comedy that did an incredible job of marketing Gunpla model kits) brought in a whole new crop of fans, and the Universal Century nostalgia-fest Gundam Unicorn and the interestingly weird and dark Gundam Thunderbolt and Iron-Blooded Orphans locked them in, keeping numbers steady even if they didn't spike. Basically, the franchise knows how to regularly reinvent itself in appealing ways and keep an eye out for new talent, even if this results in the odd misfire like Gundam AGE.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Freakazoid_ posted:

Most of the Gundam series focus on war, how most of the time both sides in a war have good and decent people fighting for their country and it is the governments that are hosed up, they examine why would you willingly go into battle...

Hell, following the first Gundam series you go into Zets Gundam and it is almost a complete reversal of the original, showing the previously "good" federation opressing the colonies after the end of the last war and the protagnosists of the newer series could almost be considered terrorists.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Freakazoid_ posted:

Model kits

People may not like watching giant robot anime, but they loving love building robots

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Burkion posted:

Model kits

People may not like watching giant robot anime, but they loving love building buying model kits of robots that sit unbuilt in their tiny living rooms for years

ftfy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I feel so called out right now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darth Walrus posted:

Build Fighters (a charming sports action-comedy that did an incredible job of marketing Gunpla model kits) brought in a whole new crop of fans, and the Universal Century nostalgia-fest Gundam Unicorn and the interestingly weird and dark Gundam Thunderbolt and Iron-Blooded Orphans locked them in, keeping numbers steady even if they didn't spike. Basically, the franchise knows how to regularly reinvent itself in appealing ways and keep an eye out for new talent, even if this results in the odd misfire like Gundam AGE.

Yeah, I got the impression Gundam's reached that point where almost like Batman they're comfortable making a series with almost any tone from a light-hearted blatant toy commercial to a brutal exploration of the horrors of war, while keeping the same uniting style and branding, so there's something for everyone.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Justin_Brett posted:

And it was Ben 10 Omniverse, no less. A series that didn't get good until they basically put it on 5 a.m. to help lower their taxes by making it an intentional business loss, a decision that someone made them make that series good.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
So this just happened. I mean it was obvious that if they did Buu it'd be in shorts because there's nothing there

https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/1223495626228404225

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

SirKibbles posted:

So this just happened. I mean it was obvious that if they did Buu it'd be in shorts because there's nothing there

https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/1223495626228404225

:rip:

But for real, TFS ending DBZA has kind of been a given for a while now yeah? The real punch in the gut, for me at least, is that besides Hellsing Abridged (I think that's also done?) the rest of their content is so forgettable it hurts.

I would feel differently if I knew the other stuff they were working on was as high quality as dbza ended up being, but a lot of it swings between mediocre to boring. It especially doesn't make sense considering how consistently good dbza was - you'd think they'd found a winning formula that could pretty easily be applied to their other stuff, but also maybe I don't understand comedic writing.

Am I alone here and just not giving the rest of their content a fair chance or is this actual? I've considered that maybe I only liked dbz abridged because it took me for a ride on that sweet nostalgia train, but I'm leaning towards it being actually Good and Cool.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They have plenty of other good content, they do not have a consistently good parody series like DBZA was. Like sometimes them sitting down to play a tabletop game of some sort can loving kill.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They can end DBZA, I'm fine with that.

But in return, kaiserneko has to poke innagadadavida with a stick until he makes more dub of the north star.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Covok posted:

And it was Ben 10 Omniverse, no less. A series that didn't get good until they basically put it on 5 a.m. to help lower their taxes by making it an intentional business loss, a decision that someone made them make that series good.

The later half of Omniverse goes so hard that they could vault the first two seasons and have an incredible series on their hands.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheHan posted:

The later half of Omniverse goes so hard that they could vault the first two seasons and have an incredible series on their hands.

Wasn't that true of the original Ben 10 show? That second season where the boring squidman was beaten and it was a bunch of monster movie classics as aliens haunting Ben and I think his ghost form broke free and was the main antagonist and...turned himself inside out??? Am I making that up?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wasn't that true of the original Ben 10 show? That second season where the boring squidman was beaten and it was a bunch of monster movie classics as aliens haunting Ben and I think his ghost form broke free and was the main antagonist and...turned himself inside out??? Am I making that up?

Nope! Also there's one form that's basically Ultraman.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
OG Ben 10 didn’t quite stick the landing like Omniverse’s finale does. There are at least 3 different final episodes but one’s another lame Vilgax plot, the other introduces a 3rd, very lame cousin and the then there’s that Race Against Time movie.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nope! Also there's one form that's basically Ultraman.

Yeah that was the movie form right?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah that was the movie form right?

Race Against Time was live action so I don't think so.

Way Big (the Ultraman) came in one of the ending movie/episodes/finales. I can't really recall.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Why isn't THE CHAMP fighting against these space invaders? It would be interesting to see him step up and take on a few.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
But #17 is already there

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

DBZA is right to end. As in, I don't think they need to cover any new ground. Re-doing Saiyan saga and Namek saga stuff to replace dated or tasteless jokes would probably be a good idea so that new viewers aren't turned away by the introduction to their body of work, but doing Buu saga or even more movies seems like something that they would find no joy in, and that lack of enthusiasm would bleed through into the videos themselves.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

McTimmy posted:

Race Against Time was live action so I don't think so.

Way Big (the Ultraman) came in one of the ending movie/episodes/finales. I can't really recall.

it wasn't an ending/finale. It was a mid series TV movie Secret of the Omnitrix

EDIT: Ok, i guess it is actually considered the series finale despite having aired the year before and could have also easily fit before unless I am forgetting some small detail that places it in Bellwood despite the fact they were obviously still on the road in the rust bucket. *Shrug*

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 2, 2020

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Skeleton Mom posted:

DBZA is right to end. As in, I don't think they need to cover any new ground. Re-doing Saiyan saga and Namek saga stuff to replace dated or tasteless jokes would probably be a good idea so that new viewers aren't turned away by the introduction to their body of work, but doing Buu saga or even more movies seems like something that they would find no joy in, and that lack of enthusiasm would bleed through into the videos themselves.

This idea sounds surprisingly good to me. Almost as good as impossible.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

mateo360 posted:

it wasn't an ending/finale. It was a mid series TV movie Secret of the Omnitrix

Which came out in 2007, gods. The series is older than its protagonist.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm very onboard with letting DBZA die rather than them doing more of those chibi shorts

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
DBZA ended on a pretty good note after a lot of work to push through to the end of the Cell Saga. It's impressive that what started as a fun stupid thing some friends put on the internet got as far -- and as good -- as it did.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Galaxy brain idea: start an original animated series inspired by DBZ. Pretty sure if you pitched adult swim "it's like that show your entire target audience is nostalgic for, but with dirty jokes added in" they'd go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fuego Fish posted:

Galaxy brain idea: start an original animated series inspired by DBZ.

Did you mean: every fight shonen that came after DB, including but not limited to big-sellers like One Piece and Naruto?