Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

Getting close to putting down tile for this bathroom. Anyone have recommendations on tile underlay? It's just plywood at the moment, and I know I can just do mortar, but I'm seeing all this Schluter leveling plastic that looks pretty good

Yes, Ditra is awesome. It's expensive, but it works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Motronic posted:

Yes, Ditra is awesome. It's expensive, but it works really well.

Ditra sucks because they make you use unmodified mortars, although now that they are getting into the mortar game they might be walking that back.

If your plywood is properly put down, you can use Custom Redgard, which is pretty much painting a latex sheet over the whole floor. You'll need to do something other than just redgard for the shower though. You can stay with Custom for that too if you want, they have pre-fab shower pans that are pretty much styrefoam, or you can use sand and cement to create a mud bed, but that's not the easiest thing to do.

Then just use thinset/medium bed mortar (depending on your tile size) over top of that.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 3, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

Ditra sucks because they make you use unmodified mortars

Over concrete. You use regular thinset over ply/OSB.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Motronic posted:

Over concrete. You use regular thinset over ply/OSB.

Still needs unmodified between the waffle and the tile though.
That, on top of the added cost and added labor, means unless it's specifically called out in the spec we're going to go a different route.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

Still needs unmodified between the waffle and the tile though.
That, on top of the added cost and added labor, means unless it's specifically called out in the spec we're going to go a different route.

Do it how you like, but there's a reason for it, and the added labor is unfortunately a thing that is required to get something that effectively decouples tile. If it's not your house and you're trying to win bids I understand why you would do it a different way.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Hmmm, well at this point I'm just trying to find my best cost/effort point. Haven't really layed down a tile floor in ages. Bathrooms 8*8 ish which sucks for the ditra dimensions I can buy.

Not totally sure what to go with, just want to do the job properly and not leave too much room to create problems for myself with leveling

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

Hmmm, well at this point I'm just trying to find my best cost/effort point. Haven't really layed down a tile floor in ages. Bathrooms 8*8 ish which sucks for the ditra dimensions I can buy.

Not totally sure what to go with, just want to do the job properly and not leave too much room to create problems for myself with leveling

You can do the job properly without Ditra and if your floor is stable you shouldn't really have any near term problems with tile/grout cracking. Ditra is essentially extra protection/lifespan. If it doesn't work out for you/too much effort there's nothing wrong with choosing a different but accepted way/set of products.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Awesome. Any reason to gently caress around with the self levelling underlay? I imagine whatever I go with I'll want some sort of waterproofing (liquid redguard?)

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 3, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

w00tmonger posted:

Awesome. Any reason to gently caress around with the self levelling underlay? I imagine whatever I go with I'll want some sort of waterproofing (liquid redguard?)
Only if you need it. And yes unless you’re slab on grade you’re going to want to waterproof at least the shower. If you are slab on grade I’d still end up waterproofing the shower.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 3, 2020

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

AFewBricksShy posted:

Only if you need it. And yes unless you’re slab on grade you’re going to want to waterproof at least the shower. If you are slab on grade I’d still end up waterproofing the shower.

Shower is waterproofed as gently caress (kerdiboard). It looks like I'm going to do backerboard for the floor (then paint on a waterproofing?) then the tile

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Waterproofing bathrooms and also the mud room are required by code here.

Our previous neighbor had mold damage in his house because he previous owners had done the bathroom renovation themselves and not to code with the waterproof layers. They ended up having to pay for the repair and re-doing of the bathroom by a professional. Still that kinda thing doesn't happen often here, sellers usually get away with doing stuff like that.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Waterproofing bathrooms and also the mud room are required by code here.

Our previous neighbor had mold damage in his house because he previous owners had done the bathroom renovation themselves and not to code with the waterproof layers. They ended up having to pay for the repair and re-doing of the bathroom by a professional. Still that kinda thing doesn't happen often here, sellers usually get away with doing stuff like that.

Good point. If code calls for it, make sure you do it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
$18k for new Pella windows for the entire house. cash+large project discounts so we basically got one window for free there. Install is mid-March, so hopefully there’s some good weather! :homebrew:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

How many windows?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
First floor has a small casement, triple sash, and double sash. Switching the triple sash in the living room to a large center picture window with two casements on the side.

upstairs we’re replacing 5 windows all told, two are double sash. This also includes the large picture window above the door in the entry way. Goodbye original 1996-era windows, you drafty pieces of poo poo!

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
That's one of the projects I have to do on my house someday. Only all my windows are 1978 vintage.

Not looking forward to it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
That seems spendy. I need to replace windows at my new to me 80s house as all of the seals are gone and windows are generally foggy.

They're all casement windows, which I understand aren't cheap. Wondering how terrible it would look of they all got replaced by normal sash windows, has anyone done this and not regretted?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

falz posted:

That seems spendy. I need to replace windows at my new to me 80s house as all of the seals are gone and windows are generally foggy.

They're all casement windows, which I understand aren't cheap. Wondering how terrible it would look of they all got replaced by normal sash windows, has anyone done this and not regretted?

For Pella or Anderson--you're going to pay. Especially, if the quote includes installation through the window manufacturer. You're not going to regret having either brand.

You can easily replace the old casements with single or double hung windows. Personally, I have strong dislike for casement windows. For a while I thought they were going away, then the whole egress thing became a code issue and now there is one in every bedroom. :(

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

falz posted:

If it's really just fogged glass due to blown seals but your frames are good, you could look into having a glass company replace your glass at far lower cost than whole window replacements will run. I had that done - the company custom built and installed sealed double pane units to the exact sizes of the old ones. It's been great and my whole house (eight windows plus an entire glassed-in sunroom) cost about $5K US.

If you are handy and careful about measuring, you can even order and install the units yourself.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
loving LOL, I have 25 windows.

On the first floor.

(Edit: for clarification, this is with regard to how hosed I am if I ever want to replace windows, not some weird number-of-windows arms race. Luckily most of our windows are in good shape.)

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 5, 2020

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I grew up in a house with mostly casement windows and now own a house with double hung sash windows and I much prefer the sash windows. They are not further exposed to the elements while open and if you don’t have an exterior screen fitted, you can pop in those handy $5 screens from Home Depot when the window is open. I also like the fact that you can pull down the top sash and get some good ventilation going, and general ease of use (especially true of the old style counterweighted sashes - enables you to raise a 30lb sash with your pinky finger).

HycoCam posted:

You can easily replace the old casements with single or double hung windows. Personally, I have strong dislike for casement windows. For a while I thought they were going away, then the whole egress thing became a code issue and now there is one in every bedroom. :(

Oh no :(

But double hung windows are easy to escape from... was the problem that they weren’t big enough or too high from the ground? I think my perception is clouded by having enormous double hung windows in the bedrooms (some are almost 6’ tall) that all have super low sills.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

HycoCam posted:

For Pella or Anderson--you're going to pay. Especially, if the quote includes installation through the window manufacturer. You're not going to regret having either brand.

What's a decent price to pay for pella/anderson replacement, figuring on a standard window size?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

TofuDiva posted:

If it's really just fogged glass due to blown seals but your frames are good, you could look into having a glass company replace your glass at far lower cost than whole window replacements will run. I had that done - the company custom built and installed sealed double pane units to the exact sizes of the old ones. It's been great and my whole house (eight windows plus an entire glassed-in sunroom) cost about $5K US.

If you are handy and careful about measuring, you can even order and install the units yourself.

Sweet! Ill search for someone local. My opinion is the wood and everything is fine, maybe just needs to be re-stained in a few spots.

I have a similar number of windows + a few patio doors where the wood is bad, if I could keep this under $10k I'd be thrilled.

Did you work with a local place or are there any national places that do this, like pella etc?

Edit: also I intended to look to see if this is something local Amish dudes can do but I have no idea how to get in touch with a community or whatever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

falz posted:

Edit: also I intended to look to see if this is something local Amish dudes can do but I have no idea how to get in touch with a community or whatever.

Don't know if you're a PA goon, but https://www.lancasterfarming.com/ is where you're going to find the local amish business advertising.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

falz posted:

Sweet! Ill search for someone local. My opinion is the wood and everything is fine, maybe just needs to be re-stained in a few spots.

I have a similar number of windows + a few patio doors where the wood is bad, if I could keep this under $10k I'd be thrilled.

Did you work with a local place or are there any national places that do this, like pella etc?

I worked with one of the larger but local glass shops. The window companies wanted to replace them frame and all, but the glass companies understood what I wanted and worked with me really well.

Good luck! It's worth looking into, for sure.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Motronic posted:

Don't know if you're a PA goon, but https://www.lancasterfarming.com/ is where you're going to find the local amish business advertising.

Nah I should've specified im not there. WI and they're out and about in smaller farms all around. I know of an bakery, maybe they'll know.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

devmd01 posted:

$18k for new Pella windows for the entire house. cash+large project discounts so we basically got one window for free there. Install is mid-March, so hopefully there’s some good weather! :homebrew:

Seems about right. a tiny upcharge for installer doing the work for you, but not bad. The price is there because of casements + lots of special types of windows.

For the other person below -

Here's Anderson for material cost only, MSRP. You'll have to do a separate estimate for labor.

https://imgur.com/a/MBL8NxM

If you are good, you can get a 25% discount off of MSRP.

Note that 100 series are way cheaper and Vinyl Fiberglass, and 400 series are the traditional hella expensive Anderson.

Also standard sliding windows are way cheaper.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

w00tmonger posted:

Getting close to putting down tile for this bathroom. Anyone have recommendations on tile underlay? It's just plywood at the moment, and I know I can just do mortar, but I'm seeing all this Schluter leveling plastic that looks pretty good

I did hardibacker and that was pretty good, schluter is probably a lot easier to work with though.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Queen Victorian posted:

Oh no :(

But double hung windows are easy to escape from... was the problem that they weren’t big enough or too high from the ground? I think my perception is clouded by having enormous double hung windows in the bedrooms (some are almost 6’ tall) that all have super low sills.
Every drat casement leaks at some point in its life time.

As for egress, its been a requirement with new homes for a while in our area (and pretty sure the rest of the USA too). The basic requirement is an unimpeded 5.7 square foot opening is needed for any sleeping area/bedroom. The idea being either you can escape or a firefighter with gear can enter through the window.

Large double hung windows can meet the 5.7 requirement, especially if the sash is off center. But if you don't have huge windows and you want the window to open -- casements do the trick. Heck, they even come with fake sashes to match the other windows now too. Tempered glass not required.

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 6, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tile talk...
So I'm looking at a home it has 9x9 asbestos tile on one room of the basement floor I'd like the room to be usable for the kids. My GF is feeekin out and wants I covered I'm less concerned as the tile is in good shape and not peeling up or cracked etc.

My thoughts
1. Expoxy floor one guy quoted me $6/sq ft due to it being pretty small area. This would still leave a pretty cold floor

2. Product like alure floating vinyl tile.

For option 2 I can't remember if it's I'll advised to put over an underlayment so that the floor has a barrier, as well as maybe not have the floors be a cold concrete/epoxy floor. I think allure with underlayment is probably going to be somewhere around ,$5/sq ft.

Thoughts?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

tater_salad posted:

Tile talk...
So I'm looking at a home it has 9x9 asbestos tile on one room of the basement floor I'd like the room to be usable for the kids. My GF is feeekin out and wants I covered I'm less concerned as the tile is in good shape and not peeling up or cracked etc.

My thoughts
1. Expoxy floor one guy quoted me $6/sq ft due to it being pretty small area. This would still leave a pretty cold floor

2. Product like alure floating vinyl tile.

For option 2 I can't remember if it's I'll advised to put over an underlayment so that the floor has a barrier, as well as maybe not have the floors be a cold concrete/epoxy floor. I think allure with underlayment is probably going to be somewhere around ,$5/sq ft.

Thoughts?

Epoxy is going to thermally insulate, so it won't be as cold as cold concrete. It'll essentially seal that asbestos away for the structural life of the house, as well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gocha..then +1 for epoxy. I wasn't sure if it'd be cold like concrete or not.

Waiting on them to respond on our other inspection items. Back from them. We want the asbestos tape that's on the furnace exhaust removed and a few other spots removed / encapsulated, because plan is to remove the inefficient oil>natural gas furnace replaced before we get in there.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Encapsulation with epoxy is the way to go for the floor.

With the asbestos tape, that should fall under a "small area" rule (less than 3x3x3 feet) so it should be cheaper than needing the whole house sealed off, outdoor shower thing, negative pressure to the entire building etc etc. You still want the room sealed, but it wouldn't need the same amount of gear so it should be cheaper.

Do not let the current owners try to fix it themselves, they for-sure do not have the right gear to remove the tape correctly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah they are small areas that don't require the whole house and all that jazz.

We're asking do it to be properly abated with an actual company or sellers consessions. Quotes are 1500 and 3000 the 3000 company seems like a money grab and wants $500 just to look. The 1500 company said they'd not even try to remove the tape they would just remove the entire section which I'm good with since. A new furnace / ac is happening.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tater_salad posted:

I wasn't sure if it'd be cold like concrete or not.

The tricky thing about our sense of temperature is that we don't actually sense the temperature, we sense a proxy for it, namely the rate at which we lose heat. So you can have a piece of copper and a piece of wood at the same actual temperature, and the copper will feel colder because it wicks away our heat faster. Think about leaving a fabric bath mat on the floor of the bathroom overnight, it's going to reach the same temperature as the tiles, but you're going to prefer standing on the mat rather than the tiles in the morning.

So when you're thinking about what temperature flooring will feel like, the thing to look for is the thermal conductivity ("rate of accepting heat") of the material, with lower being better.

According to this wikipedia table, concrete has a a thermal conductivity of around 1.5, while polymers (which I'm assuming an epoxy/resin floor would be) is like 0.04 to 0.5.

Remember it's kind of a scaling factor, though; a very cold floor will pull away heat faster than a warmer one regardless of its thermal conductivity.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

tater_salad posted:

Quotes are 1500 and 3000 the 3000 company seems like a money grab and wants $500 just to look.

They want $500 to come look at your situation so they know how much it's going to cost, but they already quoted you $3000 for the job? Sounds fishy, if they are going to charge that much just for an evaluation they shouldn't be giving out estimates sight unseen.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Company 2 said judging by pictures it would be $~2800... But won't give a full estimate unless we pay a $500 inspection fee which was included in the 2800 picture only quote.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

SopWATh posted:

Encapsulation with epoxy is the way to go for the floor.

With the asbestos tape, that should fall under a "small area" rule (less than 3x3x3 feet) so it should be cheaper than needing the whole house sealed off, outdoor shower thing, negative pressure to the entire building etc etc. You still want the room sealed, but it wouldn't need the same amount of gear so it should be cheaper.

Do not let the current owners try to fix it themselves, they for-sure do not have the right gear to remove the tape correctly.

If you go with the epoxy, please write a note somewhere near the water heater / furnace / breaker box that says "Asbestos tile sealed under epoxy". God forbid you or someone down the road someday wants to do something like drainage repair and starts jackhammering.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Company 2 said judging by pictures it would be $~2800... But won't give a full estimate unless we pay a $500 inspection fee which was included in the 2800 picture only quote.
gently caress those guys. And not sure about your local area rules/costs, but $3000 seems way high to remove one furnace exhaust wrapped in asbestos tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hubis posted:

If you go with the epoxy, please write a note somewhere near the water heater / furnace / breaker box that says "Asbestos tile sealed under epoxy". God forbid you or someone down the road someday wants to do something like drainage repair and starts jackhammering.

It's in the 'rec room& side of the basement, there are no utilities there. It makes me wonder what happened when someone removed some of the tile for the sump.