Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BloodBag posted:

I just rented a 2020 Ford Ecosport 2.0L Titanium 4WD in Salt Lake City, UT so I could drive up into the mountains to go skiing and across the Wasatch range to go snowmobiling.

The whole car feels like a parts bin special, which I guess keeps costs down.
The speed limit in SLC is 70 on most freeways through the city, and probably due to altitude, this car struggled to get up to 70, even though the throttle is mapped to be very jumpy off the line. I'm used to the more linear throttles of a 95 miata or F150 v8.
The extra ride height was useful due being able to go over those big snow chunks that fall off of other cars without hitting something underneath.
Also the rear wiper doesn't go full time when you're reversing and your front wipers are on, the Focus hatch does that and I always found it thoughtful and useful.
I had to tetris one rolling bag and my laptop bag sideways behind the rear seat.
It is a short wheelbase, narrow, and tall, so some roads with close expansion joints would have the car hobby-horsing down the road and it just felt kinda cheap and choppy.

I just want to point out that yours was an excellent review. I especially like the turns of phrase you used, like "hobby-horsing down the road". Very nice. Thank you!

bandman posted:

2019 Dodge Caravan

This van was a hateful piece of poo poo and the only good thing about it was that it could hold my luggage, my gas chromatograph, and a full-size bottle of argon with no problem.
Yup. If you've got big, awkward gear to cart around (ever had to haul a LN2 dewar? they would not have filled it had we been in something without a separate bed such as a van, our F150 with canopy was acceptable) you always get something designed for somebody else. The Dodge Caravan has always stood out for its ability to not-particularly-safely carry large numbers of pressurised gas bottles - I've stacked a dozen SCUBA tanks in the back of one, and in a different one I carried half a dozen little disposables plus a Big Stupid Bottle of SF6 for a 9-hour drive to catch a once-a-week cargo plane. I suppose I could make a list of all the times I'd Wished I'd Had A Truck, to go with my list of times I Didn't Have Enough Truck.

EDIT: a shameful way to start page 4. Here, have a photo reminder of why I cannot really be trusted behind the wheel. This is less "Not Enough Truck" and more "Not Enough Brain".
SD 185 Snowtracks 02 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is the 2.0L NA different for '20 vs '17? Or is the EcoSport substantially heavier / less aerodynamic than a Focus hatch?

My wife's Focus ('17; 2.0L NA) isn't going to set any records, but it's not slow by any means.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Krakkles posted:

Is the 2.0L NA different for '20 vs '17? Or is the EcoSport substantially heavier / less aerodynamic than a Focus hatch?

My wife's Focus ('17; 2.0L NA) isn't going to set any records, but it's not slow by any means.

That was the perplexing part to me as well. I had a 2017 and 2012 focus hatchback with the DPS6 and the only thing I can think of is the 4WD system sapping power, but I can't imagine it was *that* much. 2017 hatch Curb weight: 2,935 to 3,055 lbs
2020 ecosport 3,104 to 3,360 lbs.

I can't see 200-300 lbs being that much for it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the high number is correct for the AWD. more weight, more air resistance, different gearbox (which although better is probably not as efficient as that was one of the big sell points of the DPS6), i believe intelligent 4WD is always distributing power to all four wheels so there are always drivetrain losses, and at altitude in a NA car all add up to it being quite a bit more sluggish

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
Right before christmas our flight got into San Diego super late (2:30 am!) and the rental agent said that due to the holiday rush he didn't have the econobox I'd reserved, so I could choose either a full sized pickup or Camaro for the price I reserved at. Camaro it is! It was going to rain a bunch so the base convertible would have been a waste of time, I got a 2019 SS model. 10 speed auto, 455 hp! It was really civilized when just motoring around, but got loud and fast quick when you stomped on it. My wife's suitcase had to go in the back seat because it wouldn't fit in the trunk opening, and the rear visibility was horrendous but other than that the driving experience was great. Not bad for $30 a day.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Rented a 2019 Nissan Altima SR for a bit while my car was in the shop and they didn't have a loaner available. It was pretty meh honestly. Had leather seats but it was already showing wear after 30k miles. The steering wheel looked and felt like a cheap arcade wheel, there was no feedback and absolutely zero resistance, the difference between it and my E82 is insane. The CVT is meh, it had paddle shifters but what's the point? It just sat at 1200 rpm basically no matter what speed you were cruising at, up to the 70mph or so I normally stick at on the highway during my commute. A lot of the controls are pretty counter intuitive, I'm pretty sure I drove home the first night with my lights off because I couldn't tell if they were on or off, and then the automatic setting would leave the lights on after I turned the car off for some reason. It. had a billion LCDs, cameras and radar poo poo but no autodimming mirrors, which I really missed from my BMW. The tires (didn't catch what brand they were) were absolute garbage in the slushy winter crap we got yesterday around here. The turning radius was surprisingly wide, at least coming from my smaller car. The fake carbon fiber trim and red stitching in the interior seemed really out of place for the completely pedestrian performance.

Overall I'd give it a 3 out 5. It was probably a better car than the Sentra or whatever I would have gotten if enterprise didn't give me an upgrade, and a way better car than the 17 Versa I had as a loaner the last time my car was in the shop, but that's damning it with faint praise as the Versa was objectively the worst car I have ever driven, I'd rather have the J body I drove right after I graduated from high school than one of those pieces of poo poo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i have a new Huyndai Elantra in finest :quebec: spec complete with snow tires. i like :quebec: because it is a very low trim level - cloth seats, no automatic climate control, small wheels, etc but it has a MOTHER FUCKIN HEATED STEERING WHEEL yeea

the car is very decent as an appliance. acceleration is tolerable, it is pretty compliant, the head unit has carplay, the steering is normal EPAS no feedback poo poo but it's not bad just kind of videogamey. i don't think i would get it over another equivalent car (say civic, mazda3, whatever) but it's significantly cheaper as it only costs 21 grand in canada dollars. an equivalent civic is like 25 grand and it has NO MOTHER loving HEATED STEERING WHEEL

i think its like a 4, maybe 4.5/5.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Rented a 2019 Chevy Cruze LT hatchback a couple of weeks back for a work trip. It was quiet, and having remote start was nice for that below -30C week I will give it that, but I found it very lacking in pretty much every other way.

-The engine/trans combination was brain-dead - the transmission (6-speed auto) wanted to be in the highest possible gear all the time, and the engine was very laggy. This meant that the car would take about a three-count between putting your foot down and anything happening, and often when it responded it responded with way more than you wanted.

-The engine was not able to produce enough heat to keep the cabin warm under many circumstances. At highway speed, it was fine, but just puttering around in traffic, the air from the vents would start to blow cold after a minute or two. Even the coolant temperature gauge (which is just a glorified idiot light these days, I am well aware) would dip down to as low as a quarter of the way up, whereas the engine would stay pretty constant at halfway between hot and cold in highway driving. Again, it might be because it was in the -30s that week, but still, for all of its failings in cold weather, my E46 puts out a prodigious amount of heat into the cabin even in the coldest of weather.

-Also in terms of cabin comfort, I think I would have been warmer if I just imagined heat on my rear end and back rather than turn the heated seats on.

-The infotainment system took nearly 10 minutes to index the contents of my iPod every time it paired up, and it wouldn't do anything other than play the current track until it was finished.

-Visibility out of the car was very poor; granted I am used to a car that's nearly 20 years old and don't have a ton of experience with modern tiny glasshouses, but this was bad even in comparison to a lot of those. There were a lot of blindspots, and shoulder checking was only so effective. Also, the seating position relative to the rest of the car made it feel very large, with the front wheels and front corners seeming very far away and difficult to judge.

-The rear cargo area floor is very high and very small; for the size of the car, it's really quite disappointing.

-The fuel economy I returned was laughably bad; 10.8L/100 km over nearly 450 km, out of a 1.4-litre turbo engine in a (relatively) small car. Granted the cold didn't help at all, but my BMW, which is larger, with a bigger engine and the disadvantage of being twenty years behind the Cruze, would get better in those conditions. Also, the car only has a 40-ish litre fuel tank.

Having driven a number of this car's competitors in the last year helping my mother shop for a replacement for her Civic, the Cruze falls short of its competition in just about every metric. Not that any of its competitors do everything well - they all seem to emphasise one thing over others - but the Cruze just doesn't do anything well at all.

Overall, I would give it a 3 out of 10.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I had a Hyundai Tuscon through Avis recently. I only paid for the most basic rental, so I guess I got upgraded somewhat. The driving experience was entirely uninspiring, which is about standard for compact crossovers.

What was surprising to me was the equipment levels. It had an automatic (I'm not in the US), AWD, heated and ventilated electrically adjustable seats on both sides, leather interior, heated steering wheel, navigation, carplay/android auto, power tailgate, wireless phone charging, 360 degree reversing camera and probably more. About the only thing missing was a panoramic roof.

I talked to a friend that works for one of the major rental companies, and he said it is the financing company that are responsible for reselling the car that pick the equipment level. The time they hold on to the cars is decreasing as to retain more residual value. That might not be the case in the US though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i have a new Huyndai Elantra in finest :quebec: spec complete with snow tires. i like :quebec: because it is a very low trim level - cloth seats, no automatic climate control, small wheels, etc but it has a MOTHER FUCKIN HEATED STEERING WHEEL yeea

the car is very decent as an appliance. acceleration is tolerable, it is pretty compliant, the head unit has carplay, the steering is normal EPAS no feedback poo poo but it's not bad just kind of videogamey. i don't think i would get it over another equivalent car (say civic, mazda3, whatever) but it's significantly cheaper as it only costs 21 grand in canada dollars. an equivalent civic is like 25 grand and it has NO MOTHER loving HEATED STEERING WHEEL

i think its like a 4, maybe 4.5/5.

I covet a heated steering wheel and shift knob (does anyone do that? it'd be a nice touch) and also cooled seats for summer. That -30 stretch we just got through sucked a massive amount of rear end.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Humbug posted:

I talked to a friend that works for one of the major rental companies, and he said it is the financing company that are responsible for reselling the car that pick the equipment level. The time they hold on to the cars is decreasing as to retain more residual value. That might not be the case in the US though.
Interesting. This jives with something a friend told me, about 20 years ago. During university - a degree in forestry, for him - he worked for a series of small forestry-services companies in his co-op terms. All of them were basically the same - drive all drat day all over Alberta in the company truck, going to blocks of trees and measuring things like the age and size of the trees. At one of them, the boss always bought the highest-option-version of every work truck. Kitted out with all, absolutely all, of the available options. So, my friend got to spend 4 months basically living in a luxury, $80K version of a vehicle that sells for about $35K in the base trim (which is what he'd been expecting). Apparently, the boss of this company had two reasons for his spend-it-all policy: a) the boss gets to drive a nice truck and b) the top-option vehicles hold their resale value much better than lower trims. After 2 years and probably much more than 100K km he could sell his $80K truck for half of what he'd paid, but a $40K truck would sell for less than a quarter. I don't know exactly how the math worked out - these are half-remembered memories of conversations from decades ago - but the basic logic seemed OK. There were probably warranty and road-side service considerations that turn a "gently caress no we don't go there" for a base model into a "right away sir, our service driver will contact you shortly" for a vehicle that's going to go down "roads" that I'm sure have been pictured in this thread already.

I mean, if you buy a white pickup in Alberta with a scrubbed-out small-company name on it and clear evidence of many, many kilometres per year, always on poo poo roads, you're buying a worn-out heap that's almost certainly close to failure of multiple critical systems, but at least you'll get a nice stereo (that is also about to fail)?

PT6A posted:

I covet a heated steering wheel and shift knob (does anyone do that? it'd be a nice touch) and also cooled seats for summer. That -30 stretch we just got through sucked a massive amount of rear end.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32946642637.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

had a Q50 3.0t today and all i can say is :rip: nissan u lovely japanese chrysler

upsides: the VQ/VR family of V6s is still really good

downsides: literally everything else about the car sucks

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

had a Q50 3.0t today and all i can say is :rip: nissan u lovely japanese chrysler

upsides: the VQ/VR family of V6s is still really good

downsides: literally everything else about the car sucks

Isn’t it crazy? I had a 2019 maxima in New Orleans and was dreaming of the Chrysler 200 it was so hateful. gently caress Nissan. Even the (R35, never driven an OG) GTR is just a boring way to get arrested. Come to think of it, with how easily the maxima cruises at <redacted> that’s the maxima too.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Also, pro-loving-tip for you frequent travelers: carry a tire pressure gauge so you don’t have to roll around at 42psi.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Also, pro-loving-tip for you frequent travelers: carry a tire pressure gauge so you don’t have to roll around at 42psi.

counterpoint: theyre paying for the tires, im paying for the fuel and i never expect a good ride or traction from a rental car anyway. air em up to sidewall rating

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

NumbersMatching320 posted:

counterpoint: theyre paying for the tires, im paying for the fuel and i never expect a good ride or traction from a rental car anyway. air em up to sidewall rating

I don’t pay for anything and like a good ride, YMMV

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
2020 Nissan Altima

Pros:
-Decent power
-CVT is miles better than they used to be
-Infotainment system is nice and works well, easy to pair my phone
-Decent mileage (30ish mixed city/highway)

Cons:
-most horrifically uncomfortable seat ever
-chime for door open won’t shut up even when the car is off, what the gently caress
-feels like I’m sitting on the goddamn ground, even compared to a Camry or something.

4/10 would not rent again based solely on the drivers seat with the impossibly short and tapered bottom cushion. It is just geometrically incompatible with my rear end for whatever reason.

Edit: also, the flat-bottom steering wheel is stupid and I hate it.

bandman fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 6, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I don't know how they do it, but I get nearly 40mpg with every Altima I rent. They're fairly slow but the high end ones have some pretty good tech in them. They're nearly self-driving on the highway.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
2019 Dodge Charger GT, national exec aisle, Dulles

The fuckers at Dodge put a GT badge on a V6. It’s fine. I didn’t hate the automatic and it sounded interestingly different from the V6 Mustang I’m used to.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

2019 Dodge Charger GT, national exec aisle, Dulles

The fuckers at Dodge put a GT badge on a V6. It’s fine. I didn’t hate the automatic and it sounded interestingly different from the V6 Mustang I’m used to.

GT is the AWD model. Which can and does come with the V6. I think it's available with the hemi, but what loving rental service is gonna order that.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I think it's available with the hemi, but what loving rental service is gonna order that.

A shocking number of challenger/charger rentals are the hemi. I’ve had one, they’re great.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

GT is the AWD model. Which can and does come with the V6. I think it's available with the hemi, but what loving rental service is gonna order that.

I’ve found Camaros SS in more than one executive aisle, rented one during my Irmacation back in ‘17.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

new silverado 1500

verdict: GM is hosed, it's worse than the RAM by a mile and than the F-150 by a fair bit. classic GM: great powertrain, lovely everything else

bit unsure whether it was the 4.3 v6 or the V8. either way the drivetrain was nice, smooth and responsive. The ride was fine, but not better than the RAM. Visibility was adequate. bench seat was tough to adjust in a way that allowed good reach for steering wheel and pedals. center of bench was clever with storage but not as good as RAM. controls for 4x4 system were easy to reach and well marked. controls for HVAC and touchscreen were difficult to reach (I'm 5'10 so i'm not tiny, but my reach isn't massive) the gauges looked cheap. the shift lever was particularly cheap. the interior looked no better than a last gen tahoe.

honestly do not understand why anyone would buy this truck over a RAM 1500 or a F150 unless they worked for GM

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

new silverado 1500

verdict: GM is hosed, it's worse than the RAM by a mile and than the F-150 by a fair bit. classic GM: great powertrain, lovely everything else

bit unsure whether it was the 4.3 v6 or the V8. either way the drivetrain was nice, smooth and responsive. The ride was fine, but not better than the RAM. Visibility was adequate. bench seat was tough to adjust in a way that allowed good reach for steering wheel and pedals. center of bench was clever with storage but not as good as RAM. controls for 4x4 system were easy to reach and well marked. controls for HVAC and touchscreen were difficult to reach (I'm 5'10 so i'm not tiny, but my reach isn't massive) the gauges looked cheap. the shift lever was particularly cheap. the interior looked no better than a last gen tahoe.

honestly do not understand why anyone would buy this truck over a RAM 1500 or a F150 unless they worked for GM
My wingspan is a bit over 72" and I had trouble with this as well.

It's always a little disconcerting to me when I notice this in vehicles, because, like, how do normal people EVER use these?

There was a sedan that had this problem as well - I think some flavor of GM, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dude, i am so glad to hear that. i was like what the gently caress why do i have to lean forward way out of my seat to adjust the temp? am i actually a midget?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I had a Nissan Frontier while my M3 was getting its rear bumper replaced. I did not care for it. Was it a 2005 or a 2020? Who the gently caress knows! It had 6000 miles. The passenger door made a horrible noise when opened or closed. I'm sure it's fine for the bargain basement truck it's supposed to be, but imagine my shock when I look it up and the thing starts at over $27k! I was expecting like $20k with the quality of it.

Behold its glory

Check out the high quality foam around the windshield

That looks like it's about to fall off

This speaker grill could be pushed down about 1/4" to sit flush

The door handle was kind of a pain to get to. This also shows the horrid steering wheel that was slick plastic.

The center console armrest was some sort of tacky rubber that felt absolutely horrible the couple of times I touched it. I'm glad it's winter and I was wearing a jacket.

I did not care for it and have no idea why anyone would buy one unless they have massive discounts on them since they're god drat dinosaurs. I wasn't expecting anything luxurious or anything, but this was way worse than my lowest expectations.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

^^ This past summer, I realized I wanted/ needed a midsize truck again. I'd had 3 80's Nissan hardbodies, but had always wanted a Tacoma.

My dad, brother and I would call out whenever we saw one or the other, and in Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island BC, Toyotas outnumbered the Nissans at what felt like 8 to 1.

One of the most apt descriptions of the Nissan Frontier I read was that Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan.

Your review basically just cemented that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the frontier is real cheap, heavily discounted, and pretty tough. if you are going to actually beat on a truck i'd rather beat on it than the ranger

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the frontier is real cheap, heavily discounted, and pretty tough. if you are going to actually beat on a truck i'd rather beat on it than the ranger

I figured there had to be pretty deep discounts on it. There's absolutely no way it's worth that MSRP.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I rented a brand new Hyundai Tucson for a trip from Vegas to Phoenix and back, loading my wife and all of our gear for a medieval event over a weekend. I can report that the car was entirely competent, well designed, and otherwise unremarkable in almost every way. The only thing that impressed me was the amount of standard features such as lane keep assist that it came with.

I don't want a smallish CUV, but if I was in the market for one and didn't car about cars at all, it's probably what I would buy.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

fknlo posted:

I figured there had to be pretty deep discounts on it. There's absolutely no way it's worth that MSRP.

Deffo.

The little things are surprisingly good tow vehicles. Known a few commercial fishermen here in FL that tow smaller boats with them. I used one to tow the tiniest, most overloaded, 12 foot cargo trailer for a week. That one had a Banks tune, 4 inch exhaust, LSD, and a port job though. Super fun without the trailer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Buick Enclave Essence FWD.

Comfortable and quiet on the highway. Returned about 25mpg in mainly highway, but that was loaded up with five adults, ski gear, and in the White Mountains in NH. Fit five adults and ski gear without much issue in the cabin, but one guy in the third row was a little tight. Access to third row was good. Decent acceleration and powertrain. No issues in some minor ice, snow, and mud. Heavy, you can feel the weight especially braking, but actually was fairly predictable in corners (although slow)

No forward collision assistance or active cruise on a $44K soccer mom car seemed like an oversight.

Fundamentally a really competent minivan replacement, but not actually better than say, a Pacifica at anything other than not being FCA product. I don't see why I would buy it over either a minivan for the same use case, or like a Tahoe if I wanted something a little more ambitious with AWD or 4x4. If someone gave me one for free (and I had kids) I'd happily drive it, but I wouldn't roll up to the Buick dealer and plunk down my cash.

Also looks decent from certain angles (front is fairly handsome) but is too big. The shape works OK on something that is Envision-sized, but not this big.

marcopolo
Oct 24, 2010
2017 - Salt Lake City airport - Budget tried to give me a Jeep Wrangler 2-door MUDD KRAWLER EXTREEME edition instead of the economy/compact I'd reserved for my 300+ mile highway journey. Refused it, wouldn't even fit the bags I had with me and the thought of 300 miles in a 2-door jeep on mud tires was terrifying. Waited awhile, getting impatient to be on my way. Desk guy comes up, asks a question I've never been asked prior or since in a rental in the US - "Can you drive stick" - uh sure. Thinking I've pissed of the rental gods more than usual, expecting a stripper Hyundai with manual windows or something. Nope.

Focus ST hatch. Why this was in a Budget lot in SLC I have no idea, but there it was, all black and full of turbo goodness. Immediately rerouted my trip to head through mountains/Yellowstone, easily adding 6 hours to my drive time. Worth it.

Returned 30+ MPG for the entire trip, even though I was in full-on Hoonigan mode for easily 30% of the miles, treated the accelerator like an on/off pedal.

Shame the entire Focus line is gone now. Now it's Kia Souls everywhere.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

marcopolo posted:

Now it's Kia Souls everywhere.

Speaking of: I have a base Kia Soul as a rental and it's not bad. Not sure why it was on the National Executive aisle but I willingly chose it over an Altima because I was curious.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Wait, are Maximas lovely now? I have vague memories of them being pretty nice, at least 20 years ago.

I have one reserved for a vacation trip. Not for a long haul, just maybe 200 miles driving over 3 days.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

marcopolo posted:

2017 - Salt Lake City airport - Budget tried to give me a Jeep Wrangler 2-door MUDD KRAWLER EXTREEME edition instead of the economy/compact I'd reserved for my 300+ mile highway journey. Refused it, wouldn't even fit the bags I had with me and the thought of 300 miles in a 2-door jeep on mud tires was terrifying. Waited awhile, getting impatient to be on my way. Desk guy comes up, asks a question I've never been asked prior or since in a rental in the US - "Can you drive stick" - uh sure. Thinking I've pissed of the rental gods more than usual, expecting a stripper Hyundai with manual windows or something. Nope.

Focus ST hatch. Why this was in a Budget lot in SLC I have no idea, but there it was, all black and full of turbo goodness. Immediately rerouted my trip to head through mountains/Yellowstone, easily adding 6 hours to my drive time. Worth it.

Returned 30+ MPG for the entire trip, even though I was in full-on Hoonigan mode for easily 30% of the miles, treated the accelerator like an on/off pedal.

Shame the entire Focus line is gone now. Now it's Kia Souls everywhere.

I ended up with a 2018 5.0 mustang with six speed from SLC. Never seen or been offered a stick any place else.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I rent ~30 cars per year for work. I am 6'4", drive a mazda 2, and while I have to rent ICARs for work from enterprise, I rarely get ICARs as I'm on a first name basis with my normal rental location. I've rented 6 cars so far this year. They all kind of blend together.

Cars I hate:
Nissan Sentra
Grand Caravan
Mitsubishi Outlander (Think those are all out of the fleet)
Toyota Corollas are bad for long trips. The footwell is too small.
GM CUVs. Eww. Particularly chevy.

Cars I like getting:
VW Passat. Seriously. A good road trip vehicle. Not sure I've want to own one as LOL VW, but a solid car for long trips. Comfortable, enough power, 600mi per tank.
Ford Fusion. These are actually really decent, particularly in high trim, which Enterprise sometimes has. Both this an the passat have better radar cruise control than others.
Chevy Tahoe. Only for long trips in rural areas. gently caress this car in the city.
Hyundais and Kias ave gotten really nice. They also seem to be leaving the Enterprise fleet in California. Its mostly Nissan, Ford, VW, and Chevy CUVs

I never get fancy cars as this location never has them and the airport locations won't give me them. I guess I've gotten a few infiniti CUVs, meh. I get a pickups sometimes, I'm ford, dodge, then GM. Chevy pickups are pretty grim in rental spec. GM seems to be sucking really bad on everything that isn't a Yukon or a Caddy. Frontier seats don't go far back enough for me, so I dunno.

edit: The ford ecosport is perhaps the dumbest vehicle I've driven. Very nice inside compared to many CUVs, expensive, and possibly the slowest car I've ever driven. Terrible to drive generally.

nm fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 3, 2020

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

marcopolo posted:

I think that might have been a manager car. I know a guy that works rental and he has a company car that is still ostensibly a part of the rental fleet, although not available for normal rental. If there is a situation like yours with overbooking, or a super VIP shows up (the type where they deliver the car to the customer wherever he might be) he has to give up his car. Its weird that it would be manual in the US but it might be at the request of a particular VIP and the manager. Around here, those are almost always Teslas or German saloons.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I had a coworker end up with a stick shift Wrangler a while back. It’s bonkers that it was even in the fleet, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Non US folk, how is a Citroen C4 Picasso for bigger dudes?

I'm a 6'3" & 250lb large guy, and that's what out agent has found for it France trip later this summer.

Will I fit?
Will I be miserable?

Should I ask the agent to find something larger?