Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Flair is above average in the WWE environment. I'd like to see her spend a tour or two in Japan or the indies OUTSIDE of the WWE bubble, like her father actually did to become a GOAT instead of just being handed everything. She doesn't have hardly any natural charisma and like 3/4ths of her gimmick is "I'm wrestling royalty" and has no personality outside of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Ric Flair would have also been a generic lump of clay if he was solely trained by the performance center

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
She was someone who could do athletically impressive things that helped to cover up the weaknesses that being 100% trained in the WWE system gives you. What's happened recently is that for whatever reason (injuries, fatigue from the schedule possibly) she doesn't have that same athleticism that she once did and because of that all of those problems are exposed to the world; especially since she tries to do all of the same stuff.

The best wrestlers aren't the ones that are the most athletically gifted; they are the ones that know what they can't do and learn to work around those limitations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

IceAgeComing posted:

The best wrestlers aren't the ones that are the most athletically gifted; they are the ones that know what they can't do and learn to work around those limitations.

Post-neck surgery Steve Austin making just throwing punches, kicks and then a Stunner at the end into incredibly entertaining matches is a pretty good example of this.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Post-neck surgery Steve Austin making just throwing punches, kicks and then a Stunner at the end into incredibly entertaining matches is a pretty good example of this.

That match Austin had with Dude Love is a masterpiece of minimalism. It’s interesting how the top guys of their day all seem to be known for minimalism, Okada, Austin, Cena.

You see a guy like HHH fill his matches on top with everything under the wrestling sun and not meeting that level an Austin match would. To me that’s what Reigns has, and Bryan too in his WWE style.

That’s why I wish they’d let the two top guys of Smackdown have a feud, that’s a Mania main event to me.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm baffled by the people that think she's a once in a lifetime breakout star. While I don't find her matches all that interesting I will admit she is a capable wrestler, but she lacks anything that could possibly make her a star outside of wrestling. Especially considering she's the daughter of one of the most popular wrestler of all time, but has no of the qualities that made her father a star.

JT Smiley fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 8, 2020

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

There's so much hyperbole about Charlotte in both directions I think it affects some fans in being able to make an honest assessment of her.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Charlotte is 2005 USC

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hunnert car pileup posted:

Charlotte is 2005 USC

and WWE ain't got a Vince Young

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

JT Smiley posted:

I'm baffled by the people that think she's a once in a lifetime breakout star. While I don't find her matches all that interesting I will admit she is a capable wrestler, but she lacks anything that could possibly make her a star outside of wrestling. Especially considering she's the daughter of one of the most popular wrestler of all time, but has no of the qualities that made her father a star.
She's definitely good, but as much as it pains me to admit it, Tessa Blanchard is a whole lot better. Which really says nothing because she'd just wrestle exactly like Flair if she got signed by the WWE.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

And they've got Kairi Sane and her role is "Asuka's little sidekick"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Neodoomium posted:

And they've got Kairi Sane and her role is "Asuka's little sidekick"
She was one of those "How could WWE possibly ruin this person" and well, they ended up ruining her. Nakamura was one of the most charismatic wrestlers in the world. Won the Royal Rumble, had a whelming feud with AJ Styles, and is just a guy on the roster now.

There's a lot of parallel between WWE now and the WCW exodus where people were leaving the company because they never got the chance. Jericho, Eddie, and Benoit jumped about the right time where they were just another guy to eventually become big names in WWE, now WWE is where people are trying to escape from to make a legacy.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It's a testament to her skill that she took the role and has made it incredibly charming and entertaining. It's still a gross misuse of her talent.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Eat My Fuc posted:

That match Austin had with Dude Love is a masterpiece of minimalism. It’s interesting how the top guys of their day all seem to be known for minimalism, Okada, Austin, Cena.

You see a guy like HHH fill his matches on top with everything under the wrestling sun and not meeting that level an Austin match would. To me that’s what Reigns has, and Bryan too in his WWE style.

That’s why I wish they’d let the two top guys of Smackdown have a feud, that’s a Mania main event to me.

I am not sure I'd describe Okada, a man whose matches seem to go on for 25 minutes at least, as being known for minimalism.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are all NJPW matches best of three? The Omega vs Okada (not sure if it was '17 or '18) that I saw was best two of three and went for like 45 minutes. Best 2 of 3 taking 25 minutes doesn't seem that long.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are all NJPW matches best of three? The Omega vs Okada (not sure if it was '17 or '18) that I saw was best two of three and went for like 45 minutes. Best 2 of 3 taking 25 minutes doesn't seem that long.

That match was 2/3 (also had a no time limit stip as well) because of the story being told by the series of matches. All of the matches previous were one fall matches.

1st match (Tokyo Dome show 2017): 47 minutes won by Okada
2nd match (Dominion 2017): 60 minute time limit draw
3rd match (2017 G1 Climax tournament match [30 minute time limit]) 25 minute match won by Omega
so the 4th match was a 2/3 falls match with no time limit.

But yeah, normally New Japan matches are single fall matches.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Most NJPW matches are gimmickless. The two out of three falls was a special stipulation as the culmination of Okada and Omega's rivalry.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, wasn't sure if that was just a Japan thing to do 2 of 3, I know very little about wrestling in other countries because before people were going crazy for the first couple episodes of Dynamite all of my experience with wrestling was Smackdown in '03.

Which is also why I'm not super excited for the Iron Man match I'm a couple weeks, the only one I've ever seen dragged on way too long.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, wasn't sure if that was just a Japan thing to do 2 of 3, I know very little about wrestling in other countries because before people were going crazy for the first couple episodes of Dynamite all of my experience with wrestling was Smackdown in '03.

Which is also why I'm not super excited for the Iron Man match I'm a couple weeks, the only one I've ever seen dragged on way too long.

2/3 falls is a lucha thing woo! god dammit

Since Okada has more lucha libre background than Omega, he arrogantly assumed he'd have a huge advantage in such a match, and accepted the stip really happily.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Iron Man matches go for as long as they're set for, so the match will be 30 minutes (give or take) no matter what. PAC and Omega are two dudes who can easily make 30 minutes entertaining and some matches on Dynamite have already approached that length. I'm betting on a no-fall draw into sudden death, but it probably won't go much longer than 30 minutes.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Since Okada has more lucha libre background than Omega, he arrogantly assumed he'd have a huge advantage in such a match, and accepted the stip really happily.

Even though Kenny won arguably Okada was smarter with the stipulation, getting that roll up fall really threw off Omega's game until he rallied back.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

I am not sure I'd describe Okada, a man whose matches seem to go on for 25 minutes at least, as being known for minimalism.

I think we're talking about moveset here. And Okada's moveset is actually pretty basic, it's just that his execution of said moveset it utter perfection.

jesus WEP posted:

The wonderful thing about that match is that Okada won the first fall, so the actual reason for his eventual downfall was his own arrogance making him accept too many stipulations.

E:

Eat My Fuc posted:

Even though Kenny won arguably Okada was smarter with the stipulation, getting that roll up fall really threw off Omega's game until he rallied back.

As mentioned, if they didn't have that stipulation then Okada would have just straight-up won.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cerebral Bore posted:

I think we're talking about moveset here. And Okada's moveset is actually pretty basic, it's just that his execution of said moveset it utter perfection.

Yeah, Okada's moveset is pretty simple. I mean, two of his biggest moves are a dropkick and a clothesline.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If he had accepted either one of the 2/3 falls or no time limit he would have won. But he accepted both, Kenny trained like a machine to outlast him, and did in fact outlast him

gently caress that feud was so good

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I think it was unfair how the Okada/ Jericho match was judged, the story of that match ending on the roll up that beat Omega was awesome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Okada crawling towards Omega but running out of time to cover him in their 60 minute draw was absolutely loving incredible. Especially since if I remember right, Omega FINALLY hit Okada with the One Winged Angel during that match but he was too close to the ropes (or fell out to the floor?) and Omega wasn't able to take advantage.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jesus WEP posted:

If he had accepted either one of the 2/3 falls or no time limit he would have won. But he accepted both, Kenny trained like a machine to outlast him, and did in fact outlast him

gently caress that feud was so good

The entire run up to the match was great cause you'd see so much of Kenny on BTE working his rear end off to train while Okada just kept tweeting pics of him fishing and it was so clear that the hubris was about to be his downfall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

The entire run up to the match was great cause you'd see so much of Kenny on BTE working his rear end off to train while Okada just kept tweeting pics of him fishing and it was so clear that the hubris was about to be his downfall.

Something else to consider.... Kenny went to a superhuman effort and beyond the realms of all human potential to just barely defeat an Okada.... who hadn't taken the match as seriously as he should have :stare:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Well yeah, Kenny performed a super human task, but he was trying to fight god.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Meanwhile Taichi took Okada over 30 minutes without even trying, all bow down to the Holy Emperor :worship:

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Can we post XFL opinions here? "Real football has helmet to helmet hits not like that soft NFL poo poo!!"

https://twitter.com/Nolevell2020/status/1226224573215055872?s=19

https://twitter.com/Nolevell2020/status/1226240550287872001?s=19

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don't understand American football but does this rule not basically just mean "play as sloppily and clumsily as you like" because that's what that looked like

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don't understand American football but does this rule not basically just mean "play as sloppily and clumsily as you like" because that's what that looked like

It means smack your helmet as hard as you can into the other guys helmet. Concussions for everyone.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Pinche Rudo posted:

Can we post XFL opinions here? "Real football has helmet to helmet hits not like that soft NFL poo poo!!"

God, you can see the point where his skull stops moving and his brain does not.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

It means smack your helmet as hard as you can into the other guys helmet. Concussions for everyone.

Spinal injuries also

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well uh that's absolutely helmet to helmet and targeting.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pinche Rudo posted:

I refuse to believe this isn't a bot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Mediocre/bad talent, a desire to impress so you can go sign a million dollar deal and stop working for minimum wage, and loose officiating is gonna result in some really bad injuries.

I imagine it will also beat the poo poo out of the already shallow talent pool and make XFL games real bad(er) a month or so in.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Yet they can't handle a black player kneeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wait, has the XFL started already?