Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Birds are like religion: they teach you to gently caress secretly and in absolute silence so you don't get screamed at on a Sunday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
My budgies ask questions if I make a sound that wakes them up complete with upward inflection. "Bweep?? Boop?"

I feel proud when they put themselves to bed but usually Pesto and I both have to work to get Mayo in the cage if she's feeling mutinous.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I spent five minutes trying to film Serra doing her dive today.

She kept running over to the edge, looking at me, then running back like a little kid at a diving board.

I think she is camera shy.

:derptiel:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Husband tried white noise today- I could hear them screaming before the elevator doors opened. :smith: How long can conure puberty last? At four I thought he'd already gone through it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

subpar anachronism posted:

Husband tried white noise today- I could hear them screaming before the elevator doors opened. :smith: How long can conure puberty last? At four I thought he'd already gone through it.

Have you done TV or radio? Serra is quietly watching hockey while I lay down with an IVIG migraine in my room.

Edit : The announcers cheered and I heard her quietly go, “Whew!”

insertdumbnamehere
Jan 1, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Have you done TV or radio? Serra is quietly watching hockey while I lay down with an IVIG migraine in my room.

Edit : The announcers cheered and I heard her quietly go, “Whew!”

You should do some experiments to find out if she has a favorite team.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

insertdumbnamehere posted:

You should do some experiments to find out if she has a favorite team.

I’d like to think she is a Predators fan, but she sure gives The Capitals a good staring.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Disney movies and Bob Ross are excellent soothers for my boys.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

subpar anachronism posted:

Does Mochi have a smaller mobile cage with which he can hang out with and watch your husband while he sleeps? Ama likes to stand guard while I nap but I BETTER NOT try to nap without him I tell you what

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

RoboRodent posted:

Disney movies and Bob Ross are excellent soothers for my boys.

I do Bob Ross and Mr Rogers

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Does Mochi have a smaller mobile cage with which he can hang out with and watch your husband while he sleeps? Ama likes to stand guard while I nap but I BETTER NOT try to nap without him I tell you what

I've been sick for a few weeks (flu turned into pneumonia etc fun fun) and I've pretty much much lived in bed cos no energy and exhaustion. My poor babies have been so good here...my husband has been working from home so he can help me and keep an eye on them while out. We got the ok from the vet that since I finished the antibiotics, they can be around me... they both end up flying into our bedroom and sitting on my bed and watching me. He finally got tired of having to worry about the cats and got the travel cages for them with food and water and we shut them in the room with me, with the cages open for them to go in and out of.

So the last few days, Trevor and Cricket and I have been living in the bedroom, with Cricket and Trevie acting as nurses making sure I eat lol..."Did you eat???" "It's yummy, eat dinner!" while having the time of their lives watching Disney Plus while I am half asleep, and being very quiet and lovey to me. Cricket even tried to bring me a cracker and feed me lol It's actually very sweet....I am not really sleeping, just kind of zoning mostly...and I can feel them preening my hair and telling me "Sweet Birdie Dreams" while kissing the top of my head.

I love my birds so much...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
This morning, Serra tried to flap over to my bed and must have miscalculated badly. She is also missing all the flight feathers on one wing.

She basically did a flappy plummet and bounced off an empty file folder next to a shelf.

She is a dignified creature.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

This morning, Serra tried to flap over to my bed and must have miscalculated badly. She is also missing all the flight feathers on one wing.

She basically did a flappy plummet and bounced off an empty file folder next to a shelf.

She is a dignified creature.

awww bless her little spudly heart.... such a sweet girl

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

We can give this a try, thanks.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Today, at closing:

:bird: "C'mere!"
:downs: "What's up, bud?"
:bird: "...RAWR"
:downs: "...alright, then."
:bird: "Buh bye!"

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My mom and her wife have a friend who has a grey, maybe fifteen or twenty years old. My mother is uncomfortable with birds and gives him a wide berth, but my stepmom loves him. He's a chatty boy who likes cake and making explosion noises.

I learned tonight that apparently he laid an egg recently. I howled.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

My mom and her wife have a friend who has a grey, maybe fifteen or twenty years old. My mother is uncomfortable with birds and gives him a wide berth, but my stepmom loves him. He's a chatty boy who likes cake and making explosion noises.

I learned tonight that apparently he laid an egg recently. I howled.

This is every cockatiel I've ever encountered, ever. :derptiel:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Suntan Boy posted:

Today, at closing:

:bird: "C'mere!"
:downs: "What's up, bud?"
:bird: "...RAWR"
:downs: "...alright, then."
:bird: "Buh bye!"

:kimchi:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Mayo started regurgitating seeds for the first time (that I've seen, anyway) just... to no one in particular. She was making happy sounds and bobbing until a few seeds were in her mouth and then she'd just sort of flick them wherever. She seemed pleased with herself. It's funny watching her learn how to do bird things but it also seems pretty wasteful... At least feed them to Pesto (who will then feed them back to Mayo).

She also purposely knocks over her food dish at least once a day and it's like... why do you hate food?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There was an article posted in here a while ago that posited that birds are wasteful eaters to reseed their environment when they are in the wild.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tsaedje posted:

There was an article posted in here a while ago that posited that birds are wasteful eaters to reseed their environment when they are in the wild.

I think it's more likely that it's because they don't have cheeks, and it hasn't been necessary for them to evolve molars and cheeks since they can typically just fly somewhere else

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Birds have their teeth in their stomach, so who cares about molars?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I think I doubt that birds know that seeds = a plant. Seems like creating an abundant amount of seeds targeted towards a messy eater (more resources spent on creating seed, even though the bulk of them will never germinate) is more evolution on the plant's part.

But you just never know with birds. You can't know with birds.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Birds aren't real

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

-_-;

I know that much, geez

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Disco Salmon posted:

I've been sick for a few weeks (flu turned into pneumonia etc fun fun) and I've pretty much much lived in bed cos no energy and exhaustion. My poor babies have been so good here...my husband has been working from home so he can help me and keep an eye on them while out. We got the ok from the vet that since I finished the antibiotics, they can be around me... they both end up flying into our bedroom and sitting on my bed and watching me. He finally got tired of having to worry about the cats and got the travel cages for them with food and water and we shut them in the room with me, with the cages open for them to go in and out of.

So the last few days, Trevor and Cricket and I have been living in the bedroom, with Cricket and Trevie acting as nurses making sure I eat lol..."Did you eat???" "It's yummy, eat dinner!" while having the time of their lives watching Disney Plus while I am half asleep, and being very quiet and lovey to me. Cricket even tried to bring me a cracker and feed me lol It's actually very sweet....I am not really sleeping, just kind of zoning mostly...and I can feel them preening my hair and telling me "Sweet Birdie Dreams" while kissing the top of my head.

I love my birds so much...

im dead :kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Are birds psychic?

Today, Serra started flock calling to my father like he had just got home. I poked my head out the door and didn’t see our car.

Sixty seconds later, my Dad pulls up.

This isn’t the first time that’s happened. Do parrots have sonic hearing?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Log posted:

Are birds psychic?

Today, Serra started flock calling to my father like he had just got home. I poked my head out the door and didn’t see our car.

They definitely have better hearing than us. Nowhere near as good as dogs and no idea what the range is but they can definitely hear cars and footsteps long before any humans can.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

They definitely have better hearing than us. Nowhere near as good as dogs and no idea what the range is but they can definitely hear cars and footsteps long before any humans can.

Yeah, they always know before we turn on our street that one or the other of us is coming home and the flock calls change as well. If it's me, my husband says they start hollering "Baby! Baby Birrrrd!!" until I come into the house. For him, they start yelling "DADDY HOOOOOOOOOOME!!! as loud as they can till they hear the garage door, then they tone it down and start flying/bumblebeeing to the other room to wait for him to come in and get his Cricket kisses and his Trevor "Hey Mr Bird"'s lol Eventually I get a greeting too but, yeat I know how it goes... birds first, then cats, then me lol

I think they know by the car engine, but also cos they know who is and isn't there at the time too. So if I am home, and my husband is in my car running errands, they will "Daddy Hooome" and not "Baby Bird" If we are both gone, we hear the Cheep Cheep/Daddy Home/BabyBird chorus when we walk in the door :)

The whole Mr. Bird thing is Trev's new favorite phrase...I have a habit of calling the cats Mr. Cat or Miss Kitty, and the birds Lady Bird and Mr. Bird. He has incorporated Mr. Bird into his regular chat during the day, and now he likes to say it to my husband when he comes home.... my husband refers to him as Mr. Bird/Birdie or Master Trev Esq,

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Captain Log posted:

Are birds psychic?

Most things with hearing have sonic hearing.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Toes: sandy, but protected

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mayo's face :lmao:

This face too. He is one hundred percent calculating his next move.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

:imunfunny:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Blue and Yellow News -

This is an odd behavior I've witnessed a few times. Blue is the male and Yellow is the female. They act just like you'd expect - Blue always showboating and trying to be Mr. Super Bird while regurgitating and strutting. Yellow always sitting there like a fat angry little ball of feathers, normally taking a few select moments to shove Blue off a perch.

Yesterday, I witnessed something I've seen a few times before. Blue was sitting all puffed up and calm while Yellow was strutting around acting like a male. She was mimicking his calls exactly, preening Blue, and even regurgitating for him. It was like they somehow flipped personalities for about an hour.

Have any of you seen your birds suddenly decide to do a role or gender reversal?

Also, I caught Blue and Yellow having a stare off with each other. They were both about a millimeter from each other's beak and just staring. No movement, no noise, no nothing. They stayed that way for five minutes, just staying absolutely still.

They might not interact with me, but I love getting to sit and watch, "Days of Our Budgie Lives" for a hour each day. :derptiel:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera occasionally decides he needs to act like a baby. Does that count?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

Sera occasionally decides he needs to act like a baby. Does that count?

Important Question - Human on Birb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Important Question - Human on Birb?

Baby birb. There is begging. He's never regurgitated for me, but he sure wants me to do it for him.