Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
it’s not a tom clancy novel either. if only there was some way to figure out what’s inside a book hmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

ulvir posted:

the twist that the muslim brotherhood gains political power in france

Houellebecq's exploration of that fantasy isn't unreflexive or unironic but it's either naive or uninformed to see it as an incidental element in a country obsessed with the idea that its significant Muslim population is a devious fifth column plotting to destroy its way of life

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

lost in postation posted:

Houellebecq's exploration of that fantasy isn't unreflexive or unironic but it's either naive or uninformed to see it as an incidental element in a country obsessed with the idea that its significant Muslim population is a devious fifth column plotting to destroy its way of life

This is pretty much what I'm getting at. I'm sure it's a very well written book but no thanks, I get enough exposure to that sort of stuff outside of literature. Houellebecq's attitude towards Muslim isn't even remotely unique here.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

No regrets

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is a level of decadence to this entire thing that is just insane. Like this quote from a separate article really sums it up

Honestly this quote applies to my island of nonces just as much, if not more so

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

reading love in the time of cholera and i like it a lot better than 100 years of solitude so far so i apologise for the time i said i was glad gabriel garcia marquez was dead

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I got a copy of the Dictionary of the Khazars at a used book store on Saturday. I only just noticed it is the first Latin script edition, published after six Cyrillic editions. It’s a really nice edition, hardcover and fake leather bound.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

reading love in the time of cholera and i like it a lot better than 100 years of solitude so far so i apologise for the time i said i was glad gabriel garcia marquez was dead

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

But Marquez was white and a straight cis male???

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So is that supposed to be the "better" book? What was the assigned book then? This tweet lacks critical information.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
What was the book

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"American Dirt" by Jeanine Cummins

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
One Hundred Years of Solitude was the assigned book.

The racism is because he apparently reserves this treatment for her, the only non-white member of the department. Seems like a real dipshit.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 16, 2020

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I was totally that dude but my taste was better

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I got a copy of the Dictionary of the Khazars at a used book store on Saturday. I only just noticed it is the first Latin script edition, published after six Cyrillic editions. It’s a really nice edition, hardcover and fake leather bound.

Male or female?

Picked up the Maudes’ translation of Anna k today also Dracula a Seamus Heaney and I spent so much I got a free book called tangerine

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i can easily believe you were also insufferable at uni but i doubt your taste was better

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Male or female?

Male

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Found a really nice copy of The Foundation Pit at Half Price, will probably buy for a friend.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Male or female?

Picked up the Maudes’ translation of Anna k today also Dracula a Seamus Heaney and I spent so much I got a free book called tangerine

not the magazine?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

i can easily believe you were also insufferable at uni but i doubt your taste was better

Fair

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lex Neville posted:

not the magazine?

No, I haven’t even looked at it yet so I couldn’t tell you what it’s about. The other options were a Caitlin Jenner biography, that Trump Fire and Fury book, a Sci-Fi book called the boy and the bridge I think, one I can’t recall and Tangerine. Still a free book so can’t complain if it sucks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished salman rushdie's Quichotte the other day

i thought Two Years... was basically a stuffier take on a fantasy novel and i ran like hell from The Golden House because the summary would have filled every square on an "neoliberal intelligentsia" bingo card, but this one was decent, if bogged down by rushdie's now-familiar writing conceits and privileged status within the society he's trying to interrogate. he's basically trying to create magical-realist pastiches of american culture in the way he previously did for england and india, and maybe it's just that my proximity to the subject material makes it less compelling, but he's still examining subjects like the opioid crisis and social media saturation exclusively from the perspectives of characters who are either in the upper crust of society or could be in the upper crust but are too bashful to admit it, which makes most of his ruminations too shallow to be really impactful. there's a whole commentary on the impending dissolution of polite society that runs throughout the entire novel that was more succinctly and memorably summed up in that one paragraph from The Ground Beneath Her Feet ("We dined at nine! We dined at eight! You were on time! No, you were late!") and for someone who's spent a career preoccupied with the concept of divided national identities, he touches on the subject of american racism so vaguely and fleetingly that it's like he's embarrassed to be associated with it

the prose is still snappy, especially the passages written from the perspective of one character who emerged ex nihilo from another character's imagination (like Jodha from The Enchantress of Florence - again, he's repeating old concepts pretty much verbatim) and has to struggle with basic vocabulary as he describes his own existential crisis, but the metafiction here is so heavy-handed that it gets close to parody. the novel is a dual narrative where the characters of one half are literally being written in a novel by a character in the other half, and the former's struggles and conflicts are imperfect mirrors of the latter's, and it all gets about as tedious as you'd expect

overall it was a good page-turner but mostly came off as someone trying to recapture past glories. maybe it's just that i'm still teed off that he keeps showing up at Ozyfest

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 17, 2020

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

CestMoi posted:

Stupid and incorrect opinion

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
hi thread, I read Pete Dexter's The Paperboy today and it is loving good

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Obviously the student is a jerk but how is his reaction sexist or racist?

Every English teacher ever faces a similar reaction every god drat day

hobbez fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 18, 2020

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I often think id enjoy teaching, but then I think 'god, I wouldn't want to teach [insert number] year olds.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hobbez posted:

Obviously the student is a jerk but how is his reaction sexist or racist?

Every English teacher ever faces a similar reaction every god drat day

The later message explains she’s the only English teacher he’s like this with and the only black female

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
She's, uh, Indian.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the idea that she's the only one he says "i dont like the book" to is a throwaway line in one tweet; the main focus of the thread is that she's upset that he doesn't like the book and if you dont like the books she assigns then you shouldnt be in the class. like she stormed out of class and considered resigning because he called marquez bad

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Is that like the literary version of flipping the table on your Magic: The Gathering game?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that thread is incredible in a different way than i think she intended.

if this is how she reacts to uppity uni students then maybe she should do less teaching for everyone’s sake

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I would be weirded out by a college professor making a twitter thread about me not liking a book on the syllabus. The kid sounds like a jerk, but just fail his lovely papers?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the idea that she's the only one he says "i dont like the book" to is a throwaway line in one tweet;

Well and even then it's not clear whether this student is in those other classes, just that her white male colleagues don't get that level of "performativity" from any of their students

She is probably right that this punk probably is comfortable stepping to her because she is a non-white woman and also that it's super dumb to spend your (parents') money on a lit class when you think you already know better lit.

But yeah just tell the little turd to gently caress off or grade whatever paper he turns in after not reading the book accordingly, the resignation letter threat is a little excessive

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I'm starting to realize that twitter is full of garbage idiots. i left reddit 7 or 8 years ago. stopped looking at facebook for anything but messenger last year. i only use instagram to e-stalk certain celebrities. where do i go from here? is the answer 'nowhere'? am I finally free?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

derp posted:

I often think id enjoy teaching, but then I think 'god, I wouldn't want to teach [insert number] year olds.

it loving owns tho

I have more issues with other professors recommending bad books than students not liking my books tho

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Facebook and Instagram are actually the best social medias, you just have to dig around to find the people & groups that post nothing but pictures and descriptions of Estonian hornworts

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

derp posted:

I'm starting to realize that twitter is full of garbage idiots. i left reddit 7 or 8 years ago. stopped looking at facebook for anything but messenger last year. i only use instagram to e-stalk certain celebrities. where do i go from here? is the answer 'nowhere'? am I finally free?

Welcome home

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Guy A. Person posted:

Well and even then it's not clear whether this student is in those other classes, just that her white male colleagues don't get that level of "performativity" from any of their students

She is probably right that this punk probably is comfortable stepping to her because she is a non-white woman and also that it's super dumb to spend your (parents') money on a lit class when you think you already know better lit.

But yeah just tell the little turd to gently caress off or grade whatever paper he turns in after not reading the book accordingly, the resignation letter threat is a little excessive

yeah i dont doubt that the kid is a prick but storming out of your own class (!) and resigning (!!) because someone said he wasn't "feeling it" is comical

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

derp posted:

don't look at me I quit the forums until chernobyl kept harassing me to come back (that's right I am throwing you under the bus fucker)

I've come to learn that all internet communication is useless for discussing anything of value because it is a superficial medium that is overwhelmingly toxic to one's sense of empathy. I made the mistake of trying to be sincere with people and to learn and grow by talking to people online but its a fool errand so now I just dunk on people I disagree with and make bad jokes. No one speaks to you online, they speak to the image of you that they have constructed and its alienating to try to find authenticity in that kind of discourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mel Mudkiper posted:

don't look at me I quit the forums until chernobyl kept harassing me to come back (that's right I am throwing you under the bus fucker)

I've come to learn that all internet communication is useless for discussing anything of value because it is a superficial medium that is overwhelmingly toxic to one's sense of empathy. I made the mistake of trying to be sincere with people and to learn and grow by talking to people online but its a fool errand so now I just dunk on people I disagree with and make bad jokes. No one speaks to you online, they speak to the image of you that they have constructed and its alienating to try to find authenticity in that kind of discourse.

:goonsay: