Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
We got SF to play Starship Troopers with jet packs to entertain JFK, so why not bring those back? I can't wait for the safety briefs and Article 15s for drinking jetpack fuel.

Edit: sniped from midair

Wild T fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

aphid_licker posted:

That reminds me that during the cold war the Bundeswehr mulled the idea of a one-man courier heli that was meant to be attached at I think the company commander level and piloted by conscripts and probably would have killed more Germans than Zhukov :lol:

Or at least since the F-104.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There was a Tom Clancy novel that ended with the Segway Special Forces attacking a liberal terrorist stronghold, seems legit to me

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

aphid_licker posted:

That reminds me that during the cold war the Bundeswehr mulled the idea of a one-man courier heli that was meant to be attached at I think the company commander level and piloted by conscripts and probably would have killed more Germans than Zhukov :lol:

How about a one man unpowered gyro-copter for scouting from a U-Boat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Achgelis_Fa_330

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vengarr posted:

There was a Tom Clancy novel that ended with the Segway Special Forces attacking a liberal terrorist stronghold, seems legit to me

Was that R6, ended with the jungle hideout destroyed after the pandemic plot was foiled?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Midjack posted:

Was that R6, ended with the jungle hideout destroyed after the pandemic plot was foiled?

No, it was literally a bunch of special forces on segways attacking the compound of a liberal politician who was also a terrorist

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Vengarr posted:

No, it was literally a bunch of special forces on segways attacking the compound of a liberal politician who was also a terrorist

I think I remember that. The dude lived in a decommissioned missile silo? I want to say that was a Net Force thing.

Some people smoke crack, I read bad military fiction. I'm not sure who is hurting themselves more.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Midjack posted:

No, that ending had them leave all the rich ecoterrorists naked on the jungle runway after they blew up(?) The facility in Brazil.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bulletsponge13 posted:

No, that ending had them leave all the rich ecoterrorists naked on the jungle runway after they blew up(?) The facility in Brazil.

And the woman was glad to ditch her clothes? God he was a bugeyed weirdo

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

And the woman was glad to ditch her clothes? God he was a bugeyed weirdo

That sounds right.

Clancy is famous for failing English at Loyola. I had three or four teachers who attended, and they all said that it's basically taught in the English department that he is a stain on the institution.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Midjack posted:

Ahh Rainbow Six, the only clancy novel that the good guys unequivocally lost

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

shame on an IGA posted:

You must have read a different Patriot Games than me

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I tried explaining Rainbow 6 to my son, who loves the game, and asked if I had read the book.

He looked at me like I was huffing glue and trying to make a time machine.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bulletsponge13 posted:

That sounds right.

Clancy is famous for failing English at Loyola. I had three or four teachers who attended, and they all said that it's basically taught in the English department that he is a stain on the institution.

Tom Clancy was an rear end in a top hat. I remember when the news was clamoring for 'experts' on 9/11, CNN got him on the phone and all he could do was talk about how similar the attacks were to the attack on the Capitol in Debt of Honor until they could find someone who wouldn't self-promote amidst a national tragedy. Then there was a friend of mine who worked at the MCX in Quantico when he was dropping by for a book signing. He had a rider that demanded he be provided cigarettes from the store's stock free of charge. He treated the staff like poo poo and it took months for them to get the smell entirely out of the carpet.

Also, the last book he wrote - and that's honestly debatable - was The Teeth of the Tiger. All the series and books after that just had his name on them, were ghost-written, or were "with so-and-so." The last one I *tried* to read was The Bear and the Dragon, but could only get ~25% through before donating it to the local library system.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 14, 2020

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

What is this miniature AK?

omg so adorable

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

I tried explaining Rainbow 6 to my son, who loves the game, and asked if I had read the book.

He looked at me like I was huffing glue and trying to make a time machine.

It was incomprehensible when I tried to read it as a kid. When I went back as an adult I realized why. The book is garbage.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Look, it's not that difficult. Eco-terrorists hire a former member of the KGB

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Nevermind the plot is awful

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

How did they lose? I can't remember the particulars

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Look, it's not that difficult. Eco-terrorists hire a former member of the KGB

Who then realizes theyre all hosed and immediately rats them out to the antiterror org he had been helping to distract and got the IRA to try and kill. Also i didnt really take it as the main characters lose in rainbow 6. They went into the amazon and merced all the eco terrorists and their super ebola never got deployed

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

Who then realizes theyre all hosed and immediately rats them out to the antiterror org he had been helping to distract and got the IRA to try and kill. Also i didnt really take it as the main characters lose in rainbow 6. They went into the amazon and merced all the eco terrorists and their super ebola never got deployed

Main characters != good guys

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Stravag posted:

the planet's dyin' cloud

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Oh i missed good guys, thought he says main characters my bad

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My favorite part of R6 is where the sniper team deliberately takes a bad shot and gut-shots the child-killing terrorist so he can watch him die in agony

pre-teen and teenaged me thought that was cool. It's very hosed up now.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The denouement of that book was the mil-fic version of “you decry society yet you live in a society! Checkmate libtard”

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

MA-Horus posted:

My favorite part of R6 is where the sniper team deliberately takes a bad shot and gut-shots the child-killing terrorist so he can watch him die in agony

Is that the same book where the ultra cool operator Chavez is super obsessed with his pregnant wife because ~*just Hispanic things*~ Clancy racial tropes?

I read these in middle school and thought they were awesome. I can imagine how badly they've aged

E: hahahahah

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 14, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Isn’t that the one with the awkward HJ?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The plot is straightforward.

An environmentalist billionaire employs the resources of his biotech empire to develop a virus that will kill everyone who isn’t vaccinated, in order to reduce the world’s population and save the planet.

He hires an ex-KGB guy to organize a bunch of terrorists attacks (which back then meant hostage taking), in order to raise awareness of the need for security, so that his buddy can get the contract for security at the 2000 Sydney Olympic.

They’re planning to use the stadium’a HVAC system to distribute the virus at the closing ceremony so that everyone goes home and spreads the virus in their respective country.

At some point in there though a shadowy parajudicial group starts offing freedom fighters.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Isn’t that the one with the awkward HJ?

My favorite weird Clancy sex thing is the cat fishing subplot in Teeth of the Tiger which is just... gross and pointless.

Pedo terrorist cybers with a fat dude y’all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

What is this miniature AK?

omg so adorable

That's a Norinco Type 79 in 7.62mm Tokarev.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Scratch Monkey posted:

The denouement of that book was the mil-fic version of “you decry society yet you live in a society! Checkmate libtard”

Vous déniez la société et pourtant vous vivez dans une société!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

MA-Horus posted:

Didn't the terrorist actually build a rapport with the child, the latter not really fearing death because they had a terminal illness.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FrozenVent posted:

The plot is straightforward.

An environmentalist billionaire employs the resources of his biotech empire to develop a virus that will kill everyone who isn’t vaccinated, in order to reduce the world’s population and save the planet.

He hires an ex-KGB guy to organize a bunch of terrorists attacks (which back then meant hostage taking), in order to raise awareness of the need for security, so that his buddy can get the contract for security at the 2000 Sydney Olympic.

They’re planning to use the stadium’a HVAC system to distribute the virus at the closing ceremony so that everyone goes home and spreads the virus in their respective country.

At some point in there though a shadowy parajudicial group starts offing freedom fighters.

Wait that was supposed to be an evil plan?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

My favorite weird Clancy sex thing is the cat fishing subplot in Teeth of the Tiger which is just... gross and pointless.

Pedo terrorist cybers with a fat dude y’all.

And sadly Clancy isn't all that gross compared to actual gutter tier patriot fiction.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Cyrano4747 posted:

And sadly Clancy isn't all that gross compared to actual gutter tier patriot fiction.

But you repeat yourself

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you think Clancy is bad go read some John Ringo.

He makes Clancy look like the love child of William Shakespeare and Karl Marx.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

go read some John Ringo.

Can you ban an admin for advocating self harm?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's that Brad Thor guy who Fox kept pumping up as the next Salman Rushdie. Y'know despite the fact that Rushdie doesn't write milwank trash, and didn't set out to blatantly badmouth Islam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you think Clancy is bad go read some John Ringo.

He makes Clancy look like the love child of William Shakespeare and Karl Marx.

Woah.

I just made the sign of the cross