Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Thank you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I had forgotten how many of the illustrations in Van Gulik's judge Dee novels portray topless or nude young women. Also how many of the plots involve incest or hints thereof.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I suppose illustrations depend on the publisher, but I really only remember only one plot that involved incest, the one set in Canton.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I suppose illustrations depend on the publisher, but I really only remember only one plot that involved incest, the one set in Canton.

The Necklace and the Calebash. Maybe it was just the two, they kind of blend togerher when you read four in a row :shrug:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I've never heard of Judge Dee. So it's classic detective books set in like Ancient China? Yea I like that concept. I'd really like to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
Speaking of detective genre, I went through a phase of reading most all the Raymond Chandler books, and two Dashiell Hammet. Red Harvest was my favorite, the bloodiest goriest book I've ever read.

Right now I'm reading Redwall. It's a series I really liked at 10 years old, the first 'serious' series I ever got in to. I'm impressed with the big vocabulary, it' not dumbed-down or condescending like what I think of as being children's literature.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

excellent bird guy posted:

I've never heard of Judge Dee. So it's classic detective books set in like Ancient China? Yea I like that concept. I'd really like to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
Speaking of detective genre, I went through a phase of reading most all the Raymond Chandler books, and two Dashiell Hammet. Red Harvest was my favorite, the bloodiest goriest book I've ever read.

Right now I'm reading Redwall. It's a series I really liked at 10 years old, the first 'serious' series I ever got in to. I'm impressed with the big vocabulary, it' not dumbed-down or condescending like what I think of as being children's literature.

The Dee books are all very matter-of-fact but that makes them fast reads so if you feel like it give one a go.

I read Red Dawn as a kid and frankly don't remember anything about it apart from one character wearing a scarf? I guess I should re-read it but ars longa vita brevis.

Re: children's books, I just found my mum's copy of Watership Down and realized I've never read it. I guess the title "Ruohometsän kansa" (People/nation of Grass Forest) didn't make it tempting to child me.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 15, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://imgur.com/klywLOr

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Haunted Monastery?

I should really re-read those.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Re: children's books, I just found my mum's copy of Watership Down
:mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

The Haunted Monastery?

I should really re-read those.

Yeah. Apparently I paid all of 50 cents for it at a flea market. Worth it for the cat-with-a-hosed-up-face pic alone.

I don't think I've actually read this one before.

E: the first entry on the "similar pages" list below the Wikipedia article for Watership Down is Adolf Hitler??

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 15, 2020

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

About 2/3 of the way through Scoop. It's right on track to being yet another Waugh book that disappoints the hell out of me, which has been pretty much every work of his I've read that isn't Brideshead. So far it's underwhelming, at times funny, at times reminding you that Waugh thought the Italians were doing fine things in Abyssinia, and a pinch of gas warfare nothing to get your panties in a twist over. But mostly it's underwhelming.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i had that experience when i checked out old british cartoons i used to like as a kid. one of the characters used the word "undulatory" in conversation and it really surprised me, i remember thinking that if you included words like that nowadays parents would complain

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007
I've been doing a chapter by chapter readthrough of these old Vampire: The Masquerade tie-in books, the Masquerade of the Red Death trilogy. I'm still on the first book, but I was wondering if it would be okay to make a thread and post them here too. I'm not familiar with TBB rules on let's read threads.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

How do you feel about this old epistolary comedy article from humor website Something Awful?

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/bargain-book-bin-3/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ugh, just found a reason for ebooks > paper books.

Flipped open my murder mystery and it landed on a giant "PART 2 DEATH OF A [TITLE]" and oh. I know who that is. Damnit.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mumbly posted:

I've been doing a chapter by chapter readthrough of these old Vampire: The Masquerade tie-in books, the Masquerade of the Red Death trilogy. I'm still on the first book, but I was wondering if it would be okay to make a thread and post them here too. I'm not familiar with TBB rules on let's read threads.
The rules: :justpost:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I ordered four more judge Dee novels because I got some money and am dumb.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
some days I wake up in the morning and think about how cool it would be if Paulo Coelho got hit by a car

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

some days I wake up in the morning and think about how cool it would be if Paulo Coelho got hit by a car

I'll probably regret asking, but what's wrong with Paulo Coelho that being hit by a car would fix?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'll probably regret asking, but what's wrong with Paulo Coelho that being hit by a car would fix?

He would die and in such a way to be a profound counter point to his hallmark bullshit

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

his books are jonathan livingston seagull but with more vaguely new age woo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Also the coordinator for our level at the University wants to make it the assigned reading and I flat out told him I refuse to use it for aesthetic reasons and will actively sabotage anyone else trying to teach it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So today I learned two things

1. Johnathan Livingston Seagull was not written in the 1700s

2. It is about an actual Seagull

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

chernobyl kinsman posted:

his books are jonathan livingston seagull but with more vaguely new age woo
Not even that. The Secret as a novel.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How did you manage to think otherwise?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I never really paid any attention to anything but the title and based off the title I assumed it was one of those door stop 18th/19th century gentry novels

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He would die and in such a way to be a profound counter point to his hallmark bullshit

Oh I see.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The only thing of any merit in the Alchemist is that the dude goes on a journey to find a special treasure and in the end the treasure is like an actual treasure with diamonds and poo poo and not self-discovery or the friends he made along the way or whatever bullshit

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Jesus just read it it takes like half an hour and then you will be empowered to achieve your greatest!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The only thing of any merit in the Alchemist is that the dude goes on a journey to find a special treasure and in the end the treasure is like an actual treasure with diamonds and poo poo and not self-discovery or the friends he made along the way or whatever bullshit

the thread is now about Pilgrim's Progress

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The protagonist of Pilgrim's Progress is named Christian and I am not sure I can handle another painfully on-the-nose protagonist name today

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
I read Jonathan Livingston seagull in high school on the recommendation of my friend's dad who was whatever unitarians call their priests

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If you guys ever feel like you don't have what it takes to be successful just remember some rear end in a top hat wrote a book about a smug duck and became famous

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I wonder if we ever find a cure for cancer if future literary scholars will find our fictional characters always tragically dying of cancer as bizarre as the 19th century's obsession with Consumption

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wonder if we ever find a cure for cancer if future literary scholars will find our fictional characters always tragically dying of cancer as bizarre as the 19th century's obsession with Consumption

I don't think most readers consider 19th-century characters' consumption-dying ways bizarre though.

Most people (at least in the west) are old enough to have had relatives whose younger siblings died of it. It's not like they didn't have it in the 1900s.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 17, 2020

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

future literary scholars will be well aware that cancer was deadly in our time, just like I won’t bat an eye at some character dreading diseases we have vaccines for now

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Is mel mudkiper really a teacher in saudi arabia?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

Is mel mudkiper really a teacher in saudi arabia?

No, but I gave up on trying to convince people

Edit: lol I didnt see there was an avatar

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The protagonist of Pilgrim's Progress is named Christian and I am not sure I can handle another painfully on-the-nose protagonist name today

In his other book, the main character is named Mr. Badman.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't think most readers consider 19th-century characters' consumption-dying ways bizarre though.

Most people (at least in the west) are old enough to have had relatives whose younger siblings died of it. It's not like they didn't have it in the 1900s.

Found a boomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No, but I gave up on trying to convince people

Edit: lol I didnt see there was an avatar

weirdly specific av, who did you piss off