Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nurge posted:

No you're right, but the point was that since virus in latin is an uncountable noun, you can't pluralize it in latin. So you use english pluralization rules. Even if it wasn't though virii is wrong. -us becomes -i. So it'd just be viri.

No one loving cares dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Burt Sexual posted:

No one loving cares dude

I do!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Viropodes

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Virieuaxes

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Los Viros.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a murder of virus

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

why is the lab-made conspiracy popping up again all of a sudden? is there any new info at all to even drive that or are people just working themselves up again

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PIZZA.BAT posted:

why is the lab-made conspiracy popping up again all of a sudden? is there any new info at all to even drive that or are people just working themselves up again

a sitting US senator is now saying that’s the case, which gives it some legitimacy.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

PIZZA.BAT posted:

There is a fake chinese screenshot of a former Wuhan lab employee(?) accused the head of the lab. You only see it circulated in wechat groups.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Fly Molo posted:

a murder of virus

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Fly Molo posted:

a sitting US senator is now saying that’s the case, which gives it some legitimacy.

Lol this gives it literally zero legitimacy. We have senators that talk about "the deep state" and promote Russian conspiracy theories so just because a senator says something doesn't give it any more legitimacy than whatever nonsense boomers are peddling on Facebook. Which coincidentally is probably where the Senator got the idea from.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Charliegrs posted:

Lol this gives it literally zero legitimacy. We have senators that talk about "the deep state" and promote Russian conspiracy theories so just because a senator says something doesn't give it any more legitimacy than whatever nonsense boomers are peddling on Facebook. Which coincidentally is probably where the Senator got the idea from.

That's exactly what one of the virus designers would say.

Get him!!!

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Starting to feel a bit better about my chances with Corona.

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1229516440308502528

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can someone just casually fly out of China and into the US? All they get is a temperature check?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Can someone just casually fly out of China and into the US? All they get is a temperature check?

P much.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Klyith posted:

Where did Wuhan Bio Research Lab get it in that case? A unknown novel virus of a class that does not normally does not infect people, from bats by way of pangolins, what do you imagine they were doing with it? Preparing for the day the pangolin menace might rise up against being used for TCM?

(If the answer is "the bio lab made it!" put on a dunce cap because we don't know what makes viruses able to jump the species line and infect us. If we did we'd have much better ideas about how to stop them.)

don't ask me im just an idiot on the internet

Day Man posted:

Labs like that do research to try to understand what makes viruses jump the species gap and to understand what makes them more and less infectious. Some of that work involves modifying them and seeing what that does to the virulence in various animal models. It seems plausible to me that this sort of research was being done and it accidentally got released.

I've seen debates in the research community over the ethics of this sort of research, and the general conclusion seems to be that it is necessary for us to learn about these things. Biosafety labs are not immune to operator error and/or poor lab practices, however.

It is also completely believable that this thing is natural and made the jump on its own. Without any evidence to support the lab claim, I would default to the "nature is loving us up" position.

Edit: here is the article I was remembering about the ethics of this sort of research: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/12/19/571744856/nih-lifts-ban-on-research-that-could-make-deadly-viruses-stronger

what this smarter guy said, basically. I'm not trying to push a conspiracy theory, I think the virus PROBABLY came about the normal way. I'm just not quite prepared to eliminate the possibility that it's manmade, and the main lab of its type being in Wuhan is definitely a coincidence if nothing else

Luckyellow posted:

Starting to feel a bit better about my chances with Corona.

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1229516440308502528

gonna post this in the boomer thread, they'll love it

in fact, who wants to take one for the team, fly to Wuhan, eat/gently caress some pangolin, and then introduce the ultimate boomer killer so that we young people can take back our country

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is it pangolin or pangolins?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
But doctor, I am pangolini !

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is it pangolin or pangolins?

depends on whether you are eating it or loving it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

No; people that have had confirmed travel through China in the last ~month, especially known pandemic centers like Wuhan, have been subjected to 14-day isolation, or quarantine if they get symptoms. Many (possibly all? idk) US-based airlines have simply canceled all flights to/from China; for instance Delta has canceled all flights to China through April. Maybe there are still flights through some remote parts of the country but for the most part you're not traveling between the US and China without getting transferred to some air force base, and those flights have been deliberate evacuations

The issue is that the policies aren't keeping up with current events. Other parts of Asia where spot infections have been occurring are still sending US-bound flights, and those passengers aren't being subjected to isolation because none of those other countries have a Wuhan-level huge outbreak yet. For instance that infected person that was in Honolulu recently was from Japan. But if we wait for an outbreak to occur for a virus that has an incubation time of a week or more then we won't be able to effectively prevent it from coming here

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 18, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Play posted:

don't ask me im just an idiot on the internet

in fact, who wants to take one for the team, fly to Wuhan, eat/gently caress some pangolin, and then introduce the ultimate boomer killer so that we young people can take back our country

If you are under 40, your chance of dying is 1 in 500. Thats not take one for the team, thats the Millennials Conquistadors bringing angel of death to the Boomer continent.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Pangolin, as a group, are called a Pangaloon.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
A murder of pangolins.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Diamond princess is officially a country on the Johns Hopkins map

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charliegrs posted:

absolutely, but to low-information people who haven't been following the recent insanity (read: most of the US & most of the globe) that gives it the appearance of legitimacy, which is just as good. joe fuckhead who doesn't usually read the news won't realize it's bullshit, he'll say "holy gently caress a US senator confirmed it! those bastards are comin' right for us!" and away we go.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Shaocaholica posted:

Well, that and the covid19.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

bones 4 beginners posted:

A murder of pangolins.

A plague of pangolins.

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

:stonk:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
In my travels they stamp your passport once every three times. I should check my Japan trip. It was years ago though

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

No cases in Strongest Korea! Juche keeps the pangolins away!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Hungry posted:

No cases in Strongest Korea! Juche keeps the pangolins away!

Their reporting on this is actually better than most other media outlets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI_MG3ZnDak

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Is... is that more than the rest of the world apart from China combined? :stonklol:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
We are about to learn a WHOLE LOT about the life cycle of this virus.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Murderion posted:

Is... is that more than the rest of the world apart from China combined? :stonklol:

There is a reason food poisoning outbreaks are so common on cruise ships. They are floating disease incubators.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

There Bias Two posted:

There is a reason food poisoning outbreaks are so common on cruise ships. They are floating disease incubators.

I got into an argument with a cruise ship shill at one point before the outbreak on there started. I TOLD him that the crew were going to spread it to everyone and anyone the crew didn't give it to would get it from the systems that all the passengers share in common. They were very offended that I would suggest that the ship was not sanitary.

I grew up on a port. I know how ship crews operate.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

There Bias Two posted:

I’ve been on prob 10 cruises w mrs sexual and kids on a few. No food poisoning no noro. I did get food poisoning at a Microsoft conference in Vegas tho

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Burt Sexual posted:

I’ve been on prob 10 cruises w mrs sexual and kids on a few. No food poisoning no noro. I did get food poisoning at a Microsoft conference in Vegas tho

This bug is a particularly sneaky bastard. You folks have a nice trip, just be careful.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gearhead posted:

This bug is a particularly sneaky bastard. You folks have a nice trip, just be careful.

Yeah concern level raised, but I think I’ll be fine. If not, y’all lose a bad mod. Works out

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah concern level raised, but I think I’ll be fine. If not, y’all lose a bad mod. Works out

Don't die, Sex Mod, you're the best :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Gearhead posted:

did you file a ticket about said ms bug?