Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

weirdly specific av, who did you piss off

I called out a bunch of faux progressive types for casual racism towards people from KSA and it got turned into people unironically believing I am on the payroll of the Saudi Prince

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So today I learned two things

1. Johnathan Livingston Seagull was not written in the 1700s

2. It is about an actual Seagull

My father owns a book that is a contemporary philosophical refutation of JLS, and it is about pelicans

I don't remember the title and cannot in good faith recommend you seek it out, but I wanted to infect you with the knowledge that it exists

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I called out a bunch of faux progressive types for casual racism towards people from KSA and it got turned into people unironically believing I am on the payroll of the Saudi Prince
lmao

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The local pub has been closed for a whole and only just now did I notice the next one has a shelf with a sign "take! no cost!" So I guess I'm reading all the Bourne books now.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm pissed, my Kindle just asked if I wanted to turn on word learning mode for kids because I clicked on the word "nacreous"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TheAardvark posted:

I'm pissed, my Kindle just asked if I wanted to turn on word learning mode for kids because I clicked on the word "nacreous"

Thanks you just reminded me of the lyrics of To Anacreon in Heaven.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

TheAardvark posted:

so you said yes right

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

so you said yes right

I am curious what % of people at large could define that word on sight. This is apparently the only book on my Kindle that has the word in it and I have some esoteric and old poo poo downloaded.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
If you know what nacre is, not the most common word but hardly esoteric, you should be able to figure out "nacreous".

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Is nacre the more common word outside the states or something? I've never heard it used IRL in my entire life, it's literally always called mother-of-pearl. A word I've never heard outside of a biology textbook in high school, converted to an adjective with an odd pronunciation. I'm going to die on this hill.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If you know what nacre is, not the most common word but hardly esoteric, you should be able to figure out "nacreous".

Look at this scrub who doesn’t remember one of like five adjectives in Slaughterhouse Five 20+ years after high school.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

"nacreous" is uncommon but not unheard of but I think I've only seen "nacre" once in my life and I don't even remember what book it's in.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Something to do with nudity I reckon

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I read a couple of Robert Aickman stories in a semi-delirious insomniac state and I think it might be the preferable way to read him

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
capitalism stands between me and mr aickman

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

France Gets Its Weinstein Moment

NYT misspells Epstein once again

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

hallelujah posted:

capitalism stands between me and mr aickman

cold hand in mine is on libgen

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I read a couple of Robert Aickman stories in a semi-delirious insomniac state and I think it might be the preferable way to read him

which ones did you read and did you like them

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I've been going through Dark Entries

I read The School Friend while under the pre-mentioned delirious state and that is a story very much meant to be read in a state of altered awarness

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've been going through Dark Entries

I read The School Friend while under the pre-mentioned delirious state and that is a story very much meant to be read in a state of altered awarness

but did u like it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I started reading reading my sister's old copy of Michel Stroganoff and I remember Verne being a much better writer. Could be the translation. Could be I'm not seven anymore.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was my favorite book when I checked out the Anthony Bonner translation as a kid. I tried to revisit it a couple of years later with another library branch's copy of the public-domain version by Some Victorian rear end in a top hat and barely made it past the first page before returning it. No idea if it's the same way in Finnish, but his English translations are worlds apart.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was my favorite book when I checked out the Anthony Bonner translation as a kid. I tried to revisit it a couple of years later with another library branch's copy of the public-domain version by Some Victorian rear end in a top hat and barely made it past the first page before returning it. No idea if it's the same way in Finnish, but his English translations are worlds apart.

I've progressed a bit and I don't think a good translation could help with an extremely jarring penchant for stating the painfully obvious and then re-stating it like three times :( But either he was better in some books or the decades have gilded my memories.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

but did u like it

Straight up don't know yet. I think I do, but I need more time to digest his storytelling style because it is definitely fascinating

Like, I my feelings on his stories so far remind me of an old joke about Swedes.

"In Sweden, everything is fine, everything is good. And then one day Uncle Sven runs naked and screaming into the woods after drunkenly setting his house on fire. But then next week he reappears and everything is fine, everything is good."

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 21, 2020

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I just had to uninstall the latest Stalker total conversion because it was consuming my life/harming my sanity. I’d love some recommendations for books about either Ukrainian myth/folklore or post-soviet Ukrainian cultural identity.

Voices from Chernobyl is already on my list, not that that’s either of those, but I figure it’d come up anyway.

Edit: shitfire, I thought this was the recommendations thread. Feel free to chime in though, all.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 21, 2020

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Oksana Zabuzhko's Fieldwork in Ukrainian Sex is really good. The Museum of Abandoned Secrets looks even better, but I haven't read it yet.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Oksana Zabuzhko's Fieldwork in Ukrainian Sex is really good. The Museum of Abandoned Secrets looks even better, but I haven't read it yet.

Hell yeah. Into it. Her non-fiction looks good too, but appears to be mostly untranslated so far.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Sham bam bamina! posted:

seconding this.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got a pile of Amazon gift cards from work/christmas and they finally added up to a new Kindle Oasis.

Sent the thing back already. Whoever decided to have a slippery metal back on a kindle is ... dumb. My paperwhite has this nice velvety rubber backing and feels so nice. There is also this weird hump thing that annoyed my fingers, and it also has page turn buttons which also annoy my fingers.

The big screen was nice, but not that much larger.

I guess if they can basically make the paperwhite with a bigger screen I might try again, but that Oasis was just weird for something you'll be holding in your hands for hours and hours.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Philthy posted:

Got a pile of Amazon gift cards from work/christmas and they finally added up to a new Kindle Oasis.

Sent the thing back already. Whoever decided to have a slippery metal back on a kindle is ... dumb. My paperwhite has this nice velvety rubber backing and feels so nice. There is also this weird hump thing that annoyed my fingers, and it also has page turn buttons which also annoy my fingers.

The big screen was nice, but not that much larger.

I guess if they can basically make the paperwhite with a bigger screen I might try again, but that Oasis was just weird for something you'll be holding in your hands for hours and hours.

I'm not a huge fan of the form factor either after having mine for a month or two. I think it's just the lack of balance for me, I read 400+ books on my Voyage and my hands find it very comfortable. I may get used to the Oasis, but I honestly wish they'd just keep putting out Voyages as "premium" paperwhites.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wonder if we ever find a cure for cancer if future literary scholars will find our fictional characters always tragically dying of cancer as bizarre as the 19th century's obsession with Consumption

Tuberculosis still kills over a million people a year my dude.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Catfishenfuego posted:

Tuberculosis still kills over a million people a year my dude.

this is one of those moments where I wonder if I should bother to clarify or just continue to get quoted by people who missed the point

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's a stupid point, like all those listicles about how cell phones "ruin" movies from the 20th century.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 26, 2020

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
idk who needs to hear this, but i'm doing a livewatch of ralph bakshi's wizards (1977) in byob

yes it's a movie, but it's a weird movie so it kind of counts as literature. maybe enough people in here are interested in either fantasy or european history to come share the love

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's a stupid point, like all those listicles about how cell phones "ruin" movies from the 20th century.

What the gently caress are you even talking about

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

hallelujah posted:

idk who needs to hear this, but i'm doing a livewatch of ralph bakshi's wizards (1977) in byob

yes it's a movie, but it's a weird movie so it kind of counts as literature. maybe enough people in here are interested in either fantasy or european history to come share the love

It's very weird you would post this in TBB and not, like, one of half a dozen appropriate CineD threads. We have a casual GenChat and animation threads, you know.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about
Something actually less dumb than I remembered, since they're at least hypothetical. Not even this bullshit actually conflates the past and the present like your post presumes everyone does.

Nobody is bewildered by tuberculosis or whooping cough or every mother dying in childbirth any more than by people riding in carriages or wearing corsets or fighting in the Napoleonic Wars. What kind of moron could find it "bizarre" that a book set in the past involves different things happening from the present?

Franchescanado posted:

It's very weird you would post this in TBB and not, like, one of half a dozen appropriate CineD threads. We have a casual GenChat and animation threads, you know.
Very, very weird for someone to invite the people in a forum they post in instead of the people in a forum they never post in.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 26, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm reading Brighton Rock after finishing Our Man in Havana and why does the prose in this one kind of suck? The story is good though, so far.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Very, very weird for someone to invite the people in a forum they post in instad of the people in a forum they never post in.

Fair enough! But they posted about Bakshi in the CineD animation thread literally the day before they invited the book forum to watch a movie with them, and did not post it in the animation thread. People like watch-alongs in CineD.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It feels good to be wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Something actually less dumb than I remembered, since they're at least hypothetical. Not even this bullshit actually conflates the past and the present like your post presumes everyone does.

Nobody is bewildered by tuberculosis or whooping cough or every mother dying in childbirth any more than by people riding in carriages or wearing corsets or fighting in the Napoleonic Wars. What kind of moron could find it "bizarre" that a book set in the past involves different things happening from the present?

That is a very angry post about a point I wasnt making and maybe you should calm down