Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the only of the four classical novels i’ve read was dream of the red chamber, which i really liked until someone on this website called it “the first harem anime”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Relatedly, I'm seeing in another thread mel talking about Three Kingdoms' best translation being a video game

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
cannot confirm i’m a nobunaga’s ambition man myself

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As I recall he said Vargas Llosa became a right wing ideologue because he was mad about not winning enough awards.

Vargas Llosa also lost what was supposed to be a slam-dunk presidential bid

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

But he did give Garcia Marquez a black eye, so he’s not all bad

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Bilirubin posted:

Relatedly, I'm seeing in another thread mel talking about Three Kingdoms' best translation being a video game

That sounds like a pretty room temperature take. The novel absolutely sprawls across four volumes, and the highly acclaimed two-part film adaptation covers like one third of one of those volumes. A video game may be the only other form of media that can adequately adapt the scope of Three Kingdoms.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
it was also a joke

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Charles Portis died. Read his books

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Officer Sandvich posted:

Norwood is a very funny book. Can be read in an afternoon or so.

:rip:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
true grit rules

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mel Mudkiper posted:

it was also a joke

K I'm having some problems sussing sincerity on the internet

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

ok on topic: I know nothing about Chinese lit. Hit me with a novel recommendation please and thank you

Dictionary of the maqiao is pretty cool. Get a collection of tang dynasty poems. Cathay

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

it was also a joke

It's funny because it's true.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the book of stonehouse poems some hippie left at my house is p. good

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Thanks!

Yes.

I mean I know nothing so sky's the limit (don't make me a nazi)

soul mountain is supposed to be good.

classics: book of songs, also called classic of poetry and book of odes - 詩經 (Shījīng) in chinese - is the oldest collection of chinese poetry. tu fu/du fu (depending on romanisation) is also good. I can't give any good english translation recs for these though

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Officer Sandvich posted:

:rip:

I got Masters of Atlantis recently, so I know what I'm reading next.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I'm reading a biography of Mary Wollstonecraft and thus far she has spirited away her sister, minus sister's baby, to live with her and her special friend Fanny Blood (real name) in what she hopes will be a feminist utopia. It ends very very badly and hwer sister hates her for the rest of life. Wild poo poo. I have not read any of the preceding 69 posts

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

don't look at me I quit the forums until chernobyl kept harassing me to come back (that's right I am throwing you under the bus fucker)

I've come to learn that all internet communication is useless for discussing anything of value because it is a superficial medium that is overwhelmingly toxic to one's sense of empathy. I made the mistake of trying to be sincere with people and to learn and grow by talking to people online but its a fool errand so now I just dunk on people I disagree with and make bad jokes. No one speaks to you online, they speak to the image of you that they have constructed and its alienating to try to find authenticity in that kind of discourse.

we got david poster wallace over here with the new sincerity

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A human heart posted:

Lmfao ok this one was good

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

A human heart posted:

Lmao

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

J_RBG posted:

I'm reading a biography of Mary Wollstonecraft and thus far she has spirited away her sister, minus sister's baby, to live with her and her special friend Fanny Blood (real name) in what she hopes will be a feminist utopia. It ends very very badly and hwer sister hates her for the rest of life. Wild poo poo. I have not read any of the preceding 69 posts

Ok but did it work an was it good or bad?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Bilirubin posted:

ok on topic: I know nothing about Chinese lit. Hit me with a novel recommendation please and thank you

For modern stuff Mo Yan and Can Xue are both cool. I'd like recs in that nature if anyone has.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I never thought there would be a book too weird for me but I could not get through Frontier

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A human heart posted:

Wow walked into that one

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

WatermelonGun posted:

true grit rules

That’s the only one of his I’ve ever read and I loved it. I’ve had Gringos on my to-read list for the better part of a decade, guess I should finally pull the trigger

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Bilirubin: If you're going to try the four classics, I'd start with Monkey/Journey to the West or Dream of the Red Chamber over Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Also, Jin Ping Mei. For modern writing, Lu Xun's stories; Jin Yong's Legends of the Condor Heroes is being translated, and it's a fun read, though the translation is poor; also an excellent Taiwanese novel The Man With The Compound Eyes by Wu Ming-yi (but not The Stolen Bicycle, that sucked).

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Wu He's Remains of Life is a cool recent long sentence novel about a massacre of Taiwanese indigenous people during the Japanese colonial period, highly recommended if you want your neurotic modernist style narrators to have more Asian history flavour. Taiwan is an indivisible part of the People's Republic of China btw

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

Wu He's Remains of Life is a cool recent long sentence novel about a massacre of Taiwanese indigenous people during the Japanese colonial period, highly recommended if you want your neurotic modernist style narrators to have more Asian history flavour.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that one, thanks.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Safety Biscuits posted:

Bilirubin: If you're going to try the four classics, I'd start with Monkey/Journey to the West or Dream of the Red Chamber over Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Also, Jin Ping Mei. For modern writing, Lu Xun's stories; Jin Yong's Legends of the Condor Heroes is being translated, and it's a fun read, though the translation is poor; also an excellent Taiwanese novel The Man With The Compound Eyes by Wu Ming-yi (but not The Stolen Bicycle, that sucked).

u know i've still never read jin ping mei

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

That’s the only one of his I’ve ever read and I loved it. I’ve had Gringos on my to-read list for the better part of a decade, guess I should finally pull the trigger

The Dog of the South is my personal favorite.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
n-thing Mo Yan (Garlic Ballads is my favourite of the four of his books I've read so far), Can Xue (only read The Last Lover, but it's crazy good, very, very surreal, but everything somehow makes sense) and Lu Xun for seeing the beginnings of modern Chinese short story.

Ma Jian's Red Dust Road is a really interesting non-fiction account of a guy travelling through China after being fired from the newspaper for publishing a bad photo of an official

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Contemporary Chinese Lit can be interesting because it tends to be "safely subversive" in a way that you dont often see.

It's a very interesting style of social criticism within the confines of not upsetting the social order. Mo Yan is a fascinating example of it because his writing manages to be simultaneously deeply critical towards and yet also obediently loyal to the political status quo.

I think "life and death are wearing me out" is a prime example of this

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Safety Biscuits posted:

Seriouspost: Oxherding Tale by Charles Johnson is really good.

Way late, but thanks for this. Finished today and it is really good.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I keep getting Murakami recommended to me for Japanese authors to check out but I know nothing about him. What's the deal with his stuff and why should I read Mishima instead

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

I keep getting Murakami recommended to me for Japanese authors to check out but I know nothing about him. What's the deal with his stuff and why should I read Mishima instead

There are two Murakamis. This thread loves Murakami but it hates Murakami.

No I won't clarify.

Ryu Murakami is the one the thread likes

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I was referring to Haruki

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Heath posted:

Murakami is the japanese version of a white kid who is obsessed with anime. He is this sort of western culture fetishist and it ends up making him write a lot of the same kind of sad smart man shoegaze a lot of contemporary western lit does. I don't hate him like a lot of other people do but he is certainly the one japanese literary figure most obsessed with being a japanese literary figure

^Haruki^

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Murakami is the japanese version of a white kid who is obsessed with anime. He is this sort of western culture fetishist and it ends up making him write a lot of the same kind of sad smart man shoegaze a lot of contemporary western lit does. I don't hate him like a lot of other people do but he is certainly the one japanese literary figure most obsessed with being a japanese literary figure

^Haruki^

In addition to this, he is often criticized for writing the same novel repeatedly with different titles, with his memoir, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, being an outlier, since it's non-fiction.

Doesn't he also have a weird habit of describing women's bodies through a sexual lens? Like the shapes of their breasts, how wide their hips are, etc?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Doesn't he also have a weird habit of describing women's bodies through a sexual lens? Like the shapes of their breasts, how wide their hips are, etc?

I already said he rips off white male western writers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Haruki’s best book is the one in which he interviews sarin attack survivors, look it up, I can’t remember the name. I still like reading him, although I accept he is bad. If we’re talking about his fiction, I like the attempt to address the Japanese engagement in Manchuria and its relation to modern day Japanese right wing politics in Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, but it kind of falls apart near the end. The rest is just lonely middle aged dudes preparing sordid single person meals, sipping bourbon and listening to jazz. It speaks to me, but it’s far from good writing.

Ryu is really good, though.