Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHICH CHAMP LOSES NEXT?
This poll is closed.
Jericho 41 41.41%
Rose 4 4.04%
Omega and Page 54 54.55%
Total: 99 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Cavauro posted:

losing a match is doing a job. the poison comes from freaking out about jobbing. or it comes outta my little rear end

cav you might wanna see a physician about that bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mox should win and then in his anger Jeff Cobb should squeeze Hager's head until the racism comes out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

projecthalaxy posted:

Mox should win and then in his anger Jeff Cobb should squeeze Hager's head until the racism comes out.

I mean, if you want the racism to come out you probably just need to give him a microphone or let him on Twitter.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I live in constant disappointment that it's not Street Fighter T-Hawk.

gently caress that guy :colbert:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I went to Hager's twitter and it appears he has a sexy wife and enjoys his life (rhyme not intentional).

There may be a seedy underbelly of racist replies to things that aren't on his feed though

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I do not like The Librarian gimmick, but gently caress if they don't get good t-shirts

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1230236155100192773

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I can't imagine having a strong opinion on the Librarians when they've been so firmly slotted as bottom-of-the-roster fodder. They're perfect in that role.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

The Librarians are good now that they’re not a focal point of AEWs social like they were during the summer before Dynamite.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Benne posted:

I can't imagine having a strong opinion on the Librarians when they've been so firmly slotted as bottom-of-the-roster fodder. They're perfect in that role.

aew needs big time jobbers and between the librarians and qt marshall theyve got a good beginning set. just dont let peter avalon have too many extended speaking segments and im cool. only so much local town cheap heat i can take.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

The Librarians are good now that they’re not a focal point of AEWs social like they were during the summer before Dynamite.

a lot of people had to finish up indie commitments so I'm glad people like Hikaru Shida are full-time now

also please let Strong Hearts get a pin in the gauntlet, they're really loving good and don't deserve to eat losses so often

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's a battle royale, not a gauntlet match

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Cobb winning is dumb unless he's under contract or has a verbal agreement. I love watching him wreck fools, but he doesn't need the win, and Moxley needs momentum so that win or lose at Revolution, he's in good shape

If you need beefmen to be victorious, AJPW and BJW are right there

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rarity posted:

It's a battle royale, not a gauntlet match

they also clarified that both members of a team have to be eliminated so thank god for that

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rooting for the Lucha Bros or PNP but it'll probably be the Bucks of Youth

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IcePhoenix posted:

they also clarified that both members of a team have to be eliminated so thank god for that

I mean, why would you do it the other way? That would be weird and stupid if you just made someone leave the ring because their teammate was eliminated.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
“The face is winning matches against the heel’s henchmen right before they face off at a PPV” is pretty basic storytelling. “The heel henchman loses but does a ton of damage along the way” works perfectly fine for the story. Doing this twice in a single night might be slightly odd I guess? But I really do not think so.

Also: Cody/Wardlow opens the show because cage, Mox/Cobb closes the show because main event. The opening segment has consistently been a big deal on Dynamite.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Rooting for the Lucha Bros or PNP but it'll probably be the Bucks of Youth

Lucha Bros aren't in it because they have a title match tonight.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

Also: Cody/Wardlow opens the show because cage, Mox/Cobb closes the show because main event. The opening segment has consistently been a big deal on Dynamite.

I would guess the show starts with all the teams in the ring for the BR, Mox is hour 1 main, cage is.hour 2 main.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Peter Avalon is a great worker and a great chicken poo poo heel. Leva is atrocious

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
Christ, I forgot about the Lucha Bros match. This episode has a completely ridiculous card.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, why would you do it the other way? That would be weird and stupid if you just made someone leave the ring because their teammate was eliminated.

Usually that's how it works when they do these, but the only company I've seen do them is 80's WWE

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

“The face is winning matches against the heel’s henchmen right before they face off at a PPV” is pretty basic storytelling. “The heel henchman loses but does a ton of damage along the way” works perfectly fine for the story. Doing this twice in a single night might be slightly odd I guess? But I really do not think so.

Yeah. Mox wins, Cobb gets up and gives him 2-3 Tour of the Islands, Jericho works the ribs at PPV.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Low Desert Punk posted:

Peter Avalon is a great worker and a great chicken poo poo heel. Leva is atrocious

Her character work is absolutely fantastic though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

I agree but that's one of the ways I've seen it done before!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Usually that's how it works when they do these, but the only company I've seen do them is 80's WWE
I think I've only seen them in TNA and I'm 99% sure they treated the wrestlers as individuals until the end of the match when the teammates came back in the ring.

Like the alternative just makes no sense unless you're trying to end the match real quick.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Benne posted:

It's just so dumb to me. And Leva isn't a good wrestler, so that's just annoying on another level. They might get a chuckle out of me here and there but mostly it's, "Ugh, god drat it" when they come out. And I really enjoyed Avalon in the BTE stuff I saw before the Librarian stuff started up.

Maybe it's just leftover annoyance from them being such a big focal point earlier on when everything was starting up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I think I've only seen them in TNA and I'm 99% sure they treated the wrestlers as individuals until the end of the match when the teammates came back in the ring.

Like the alternative just makes no sense unless you're trying to end the match real quick.

I think that was sorta the point. It gets guys on the card without killing their bodies, and it puts over a team in a shallow house show kind if way.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

If you need beefmen to be victorious, AJPW and BJW are right there

Yup. Everyone into BEEF should be getting hyped for the BJW Ikkitousen Strong Climb tournament starting in early March. You got a block with Okabayashi, Quiet Storm, Hino, Ryoto Hama & Hideyoshi Kamiya. A whole lot of big boys running into each other. The other blocks have guys from All Japan, NOAH, BASARA, Zero 1, 2AW & even Stronghearts (T-Hawk) so there is a lot of beef.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dynamite tonight is gonna be an all-time classic. I can feel it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Wardlow chants piped in GOOOOLD BERRRG style through the entire show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Out of curiosity I did a Youtube search for "Tag Team Battle Royal" and checked out a sampling.

WWE 2019: Tag eliminations.
WWE 2018: Tag eliminations.
WWF 1991: Tag eliminations.
WWE 2016: Individual eliminations.
NWA 2019: Individual eliminations.
AWA 1984: Individual eliminations.
WCW 1999: Individual eliminations.
TNA 2007: Individual eliminations... AND entrances.

So it would seem that only WWE is stupid enough to do it the stupid way. Even WCW '99 got it right. And TNA managed to get it right and still do something else weird, because that's the TNA way.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Wardlow chants piped in GOOOOLD BERRRG style through the entire show.

Those were never once piped in much like the Wardlow chants won’t be either. You fool. You bastard.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I kind of want to see how they build the cage.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Catching up with yesterday's Dark and I'm fairly certain QT Marshall is actually the most talented wrestler I've ever seen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never seen QT much before now but I'm kind of reminded of Abyss playing Joseph Park and the idea that its actually really impressive to effectively sell that you don't know how to wrestle while still pulling off moves.

I certainly would never call Abyss one of the most talented wrestlers I've seen, but I think it was a good showcase of how fundamentally sound he was able to shift characters and styles. Its the same kind of appreciation I'm getting for QT. Like he can't ACTUALLY be terrible and just barely pulling off moves every time. Its gotta be an act, and its a good act.

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend
Was anyone else hoping the cage would be more like the old school blue cages?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hunter Leopardson posted:

This is WCW, not WWF.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Hunter Leopardson posted:

no because those sucked

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Better Than You posted:

no because those sucked

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

STAC Goat posted:

I've never seen QT much before now but I'm kind of reminded of Abyss playing Joseph Park and the idea that its actually really impressive to effectively sell that you don't know how to wrestle while still pulling off moves.

I certainly would never call Abyss one of the most talented wrestlers I've seen, but I think it was a good showcase of how fundamentally sound he was able to shift characters and styles. Its the same kind of appreciation I'm getting for QT. Like he can't ACTUALLY be terrible and just barely pulling off moves every time. Its gotta be an act, and its a good act.

I don't know anything about actually doing wrestling, but I feel like doing wrestling moves and then making them look lovely while being safe and in control is wildly difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I don't know anything about actually doing wrestling, but I feel like doing wrestling moves and then making them look lovely while being safe and in control is wildly difficult.

Yeah, that's a more eloquent way to say it.

It takes skill to make something you know how to do look like you don't and still pull it off well.