Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Youth Decay posted:

This fine example of woodworking came from a real estate ad. I hope it goes with the house.

Bbbbbuuutt That pallet held 2000 pounds worth of cement bags!! My kid is only 65 pounds!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

packetmantis posted:

Theoretically I knew they must have to do this but I never thought about how, thanks!
I guess the roof must have been too high for one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOX-qIAjmsw

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

I wonder if it was meant to be a bed and that's what caused the beam on the end there to split like it has.

I'm pretty sure that's two 2x4s together, not a split beam, but it's hard to tell.

Slugworth posted:

Sometimes, when you're very lucky, you get to haul all the shingles up the ladder on your shoulder while trying not to fall to your death.

I did this when roofing my workshop, a 1-story building with a fairly shallow roof pitch. Even with only moving half a bundle at a time, it's not much fun, but it's better than schlepping 4'x8'x.75" plywood sheets up that way. Don't let 'em slip, or they'll fall between you and the ladder and good loving luck making a safe landing after that.

(I did not move my plywood that way because I could tell it would be problematic, but there was a brief period where I was contemplating it)

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Youth Decay posted:

This fine example of woodworking came from a real estate ad. I hope it goes with the house.

obligatory

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

wesleywillis posted:

Bbbbbuuutt That pallet held 2000 pounds worth of cement bags!! My kid is only 65 pounds!!

My father-in-law and I built a bunk bed for my kid out of tamarack bullnose decking. Tamarack is absurdly strong and heavy. He designed it like he was framing a commercial building so the 2x6's were tripled for the supporting members on the corners. We glue laminated them with slots for the side members that supports the decking that the mattress sits upon. It can be easily disassembled into components for transport as I used heavy carriage bolts to lock everything in place. If I wanted to, I suppose I could put in cable and turnbuckles to really stiffen it but it's already too stiff to cause racking.

It's so strong that it would easily handle a dynamic load in the 20,000 lb range. It is not secured in any way to the wall. It's so heavy that I can climb up and try to tip it over with my 240lb weight and it doesn't even make a squeak sound. It's a wonderful thing.

It is also ugly as sin. Goddamn though, it is tough. Ugly, but indestructible.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Post pics of the indestructible bed.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I've yet to meet a bed I couldn't destroy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Modus Pwnens posted:

Welcome to the Something Awful comedy forums, Mister President.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Post pics of the indestructible bed.

Nthed. Dahir inshaat is somewhere salivating at the thought of an indestructible bed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

value-brand cereal posted:

Nthed. Dahir inshaat is somewhere salivating at the thought of an indestructible bed.

that disaster bed video but when the earthquake hits it turns into killdozer

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Modus Pwnens posted:

I take it the incontinence treatments aren’t going well?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I can't put my finger on it but a lot of these things are making my brain bothered

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/48334789_zpid

I guess a lot of it is me thinking about these knives

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

moist turtleneck posted:

I can't put my finger on it but a lot of these things are making my brain bothered

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/48334789_zpid

I guess a lot of it is me thinking about these knives

how else are you going to plan your kingdom's next military campaign? on a whiteboard?????

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm the screened, sliding window that can only be opened with a ladder from inside.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm the another goddamn ugly stove with no fan over it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I’m the breadbox with dried weeds in it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Took me a minute to figure out what was going on here

I've seen people add screened porches to RVs but this seems like a step beyond that

also there's a fridge across from the toilet in the added laundry room-pantry-bathroom so that's convenient

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I sort of like the mythology that RV's are actually just the mobile/larva form of houses. They use their mobile phase to find a site and the become immobile and grow into a home. My friend lives in a house like that. Wasn't an RV but a mobile home that someone put on the site, then added another to make it a double wide, then added a few more rooms over the years to the point that you wouldn't really know unless you looked at it top down on google earth.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
A mobile cave that never went anywhere. Fascinating.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

I sort of like the mythology that RV's are actually just the mobile/larva form of houses. They use their mobile phase to find a site and the become immobile and grow into a home. My friend lives in a house like that. Wasn't an RV but a mobile home that someone put on the site, then added another to make it a double wide, then added a few more rooms over the years to the point that you wouldn't really know unless you looked at it top down on google earth.

I've unironically always wanted to build something like a Command & Conquer Mobile Construction Vehicle, where it's a truck that origamis into a building, with the truck engine powering a small generator and also a crane. Bonus points if the conversion is reversible.

It would revolutionize everything.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is this just a bunch of mobile homes and barns that have been pushed together with holes cut out of their walls?

That's some delicious jank.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

peanut posted:

It's OK, it looks like an electric stove, so you aren't actually going to be using it for anything.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is this just a bunch of mobile homes and barns that have been pushed together with holes cut out of their walls?

Looks to be just one big RV, a barn and a carport stuck together.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Plastik posted:

I've unironically always wanted to build something like a Command & Conquer Mobile Construction Vehicle, where it's a truck that origamis into a building, with the truck engine powering a small generator and also a crane. Bonus points if the conversion is reversible.

It would revolutionize everything.

https://topgear.fandom.com/wiki/Richard%27s_Homemade_Motorhome

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

Took me a minute to figure out what was going on here

I've seen people add screened porches to RVs but this seems like a step beyond that

also there's a fridge across from the toilet in the added laundry room-pantry-bathroom so that's convenient

Is this one of those "No taxes because it has axles" thing taken to the next level?

Hopefully it's not on Zillow, I can't imagine you could call it a dwelling. Maybe in Florida?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Reposted from my 6/5/2015 in this thread: Coraopolis, PA

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

More like Copropolis.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

peanut posted:

The fuckin' lovely landlord special stove. If somebody owns this abortion by choice they must never use it.

~Coxy posted:

It's OK, it looks like an electric stove, so you aren't actually going to be using it for anything.

Not just any electric stove, it's the worst electric stove, frequently forced upon people with little choice in the matter.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Baronjutter posted:

I sort of like the mythology that RV's are actually just the mobile/larva form of houses. They use their mobile phase to find a site and the become immobile and grow into a home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIkNxEKrAaU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

mostlygray posted:

My father-in-law and I built a bunk bed for my kid out of tamarack bullnose decking. Tamarack is absurdly strong and heavy. He designed it like he was framing a commercial building so the 2x6's were tripled for the supporting members on the corners. We glue laminated them with slots for the side members that supports the decking that the mattress sits upon. It can be easily disassembled into components for transport as I used heavy carriage bolts to lock everything in place. If I wanted to, I suppose I could put in cable and turnbuckles to really stiffen it but it's already too stiff to cause racking.

It's so strong that it would easily handle a dynamic load in the 20,000 lb range. It is not secured in any way to the wall. It's so heavy that I can climb up and try to tip it over with my 240lb weight and it doesn't even make a squeak sound. It's a wonderful thing.

It is also ugly as sin. Goddamn though, it is tough. Ugly, but indestructible.

Finally, a bed that is strong enough for OP's mom, with looks to match.

Modus Pwnens posted:

And here she is now!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jerry Cotton posted:

More like Copropolis.
:thurman:

It honestly looks like what my grandparents did with their summer home. For some reason they weren't allowed to build an actual house on the property they got for it, but they were allowed to put a mobile home on the property. So they did that, then they got a permit to build a porch on the front, which they did. Then they got another permit the next year to build a back porch. And then a sun room the next year on a third side, which faced east. Next year, a (very small) branch fell on one side somehow so they got permission to rebuild that side of the place and replaced the last wall.

And then like two or so years later some residential developer came and bought a shitload of land along the lake and had the whole thing rezoned.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Airstream of Theseus

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Not just any electric stove, it's the worst electric stove, frequently forced upon people with little choice in the matter.

drat. The stove fandom have shown up. Quick everyone, post your opinions on favorite stovetop burner placements. I use all of them, but generally the left front burner gets the most use from boiling water for tea.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

PainterofCrap posted:

I think I remember building that in Fallout 4

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

couldcareless posted:

I think I remember building that in Fallout 4

I think I built that building in one of my settlements

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

value-brand cereal posted:

drat. The stove fandom have shown up. Quick everyone, post your opinions on favorite stovetop burner placements. I use all of them, but generally the left front burner gets the most use from boiling water for tea.

I have that stove, it is pretty lovely. Burners run waaay too hot and the oven is terribly insulated. Left front burner for life though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I don't have that particular stove, but I do have a builder grade glass top electric range that's pushing 25 years now. I'd much prefer a nice gas stove, but I hate replacing appliances before they fail and this thing is a tank. I can also cook bomb rear end meals on it, so it's not exactly holding us back.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

House shopping in Yakima with a seller's market with 1-2% vacancy. Found a nice Spanish-style house a flipper bought from a hoarder and then made some choices in.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/12-Chicago-Ave-Yakima,-WA,-98902_rb/23686259_zpid/

Before:

After:

Other side of that arch, where a big shade tree was removed on south side of flat-roofed house. "The Palm Springs of Washington" gets 320 days of sun a year.

This window is behind the microwave. That blue box is in the top cabinet, where the microwave/charcoal vent is plugged in. The photo was taken from the narrow strip between houses. There is an ancient giant REEM vent above it that I assume would work for a stove if that window didn't exist.

Otherwise it's flipper chic, with the money put into luxuries. There were permits and stuff on the counter, but if I wasn't already hesitant about the flat roof, that microwave window scared me off. There were a lot of instances of lack of care in the finishing, paint spatter on the finished basement floor, and you can see in the listing photo that the drawer under the sink is missing a handle, right next to the fancy tub. The beautiful vaulted ceiling with exposed beams and a 180 degree view of the hills also still has it's external vent/birdhouse and I'm not confident he insulated and sealed that roof correctly. There is a new panel full of 15 amp breakers and outlets in the floor, but the wiring isn't updated? I've seen a few houses with knob and tube still, but couldn't verify what was in the walls.

Check out the price history for a tale of hubris and shame.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Is the space just used poorly or are those just terrible pictures? That looks like the smallest 2300 sqft house i've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Partially bad pictures, but it jumped up like 1,000 sq feet from the previous listing in 2018, so :shrug: The downstairs space is definitely not efficient; that front lower wall is where they enclosed the garage decades ago, and the ceiling in the garage/room (which looks wavy) is a giant block of concrete. It's like a gunnery nest.