Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

DC Murderverse posted:

I spent a bunch of time reading about Phillip K. Dick short stories last night and while some of them are cool and good and should be adapted into good movies, i didn't know about some of the weirder/darker poo poo in there. Like he was so angered by the Roe v Wade decision that he wrote a short story about an America where abortions can be done until the legally determined point that someone has a soul, which is 12 years old, which sounds like the plot of a fake Modest Proposal satire about abortion written by a nut job, except its real.

Late in his life he began exhibiting schizophrenic thinking, and became convinced he was some sort of prophet, messiah, and/or one of the early Christian disciples. Was this before or during that period? It began in 1974.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ogmius815 posted:

Some Nazis lack maturity though. One thing that’s scary about a totalitarian dystopia is that you don’t have to be a monster for the system to get you to do the evil things it wants you to do. “Not every Nazi was depicted as an actual psychopath” is thus a pretty weak criticism.

All of this reeks of the awful “histrionic leftist” school of film criticism. The complaint seems to be that the film criticizes Nazis in a way the critic feels was too liberal. Yawn.

Yeah. The Nazis sent kids to die in battle wearing cardboard uniforms and they even hanged his mother but they aren’t being criticised in exactly the right way. I don’t know how one can watch that film and feel that it isn’t critical of Nazism.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lord Krangdar posted:

Late in his life he began exhibiting schizophrenic thinking, and became convinced he was some sort of prophet, messiah, and/or one of the early Christian disciples. Was this before or during that period? It began in 1974.

this was after that, yeah. Although honestly the misogyny in that story kinda laid bare that Dick definitely had some anger towards women, even in his earlier stuff. Apparently Ursula LeGuin called him out on it, and the well-rounded (by his standards, anyways) female character in his final novel is probably due in large part to her criticism.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/IllyBocean/status/1230347721292173312

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

"pussy haters more likely to die on the Earth than live on it"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm Tomb of the Kings.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is the sun a ghost?

This question is going to haunt me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ogmius815 posted:

Some Nazis lack maturity though. One thing that’s scary about a totalitarian dystopia is that you don’t have to be a monster for the system to get you to do the evil things it wants you to do. “Not every Nazi was depicted as an actual psychopath” is thus a pretty weak criticism.

All of this reeks of the awful “histrionic leftist” school of film criticism. The complaint seems to be that the film criticizes Nazis in a way the critic feels was too liberal. Yawn.

It's amazing how this post shows a basic inability to read one of the simplest, plain-language points SMG has ever made, and in the same breath proclaims his analysis is the problem. He's not the one making a leap from "maturity is not the problem" to "therefore, psychopathy must be."

The actual issue, and the reason liberal criticism of nazis is completely inadequate, it that fascism is neither arrested development, nor mental illness; it's a value system, one that is morally reprehensible but provides internally consistent reasons for its adherents to act the way they do.

Failing to understand this is exactly what gets you self-defeating bullshit like "basket of deplorables" and other expressions of technocratic disbelief that anyone could be stupid enough to think that nazism "works."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ruddiger posted:

Is the sun a ghost?

This question is going to haunt me.

The soul is a parasite in every cell, ruddiger.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it's also pretty offensive to mentally ill and developmentally disabled people, both of whom are overwhelmingly more likely to be victims of violence rather than perpetrators

it's true that nazis are generally insecure and self-destructive, but it's intellectually irresponsible to blame this on some vague essentialism -- on some personal defect of the soul, that came from nowhere and that only other people are susceptible to -- instead of asking "what is creating so many insecure, angry people? why is fascism thriving, why is it so good at recruiting them, when the best it can offer them is the chance to go out in a suicidal blaze of glory? why aren't there competitive alternatives that offer solidarity and hope for the future instead?"

but liberalism can't answer that question, because any honest response would identify liberalism as part of the problem.

if you spend decades teaching people not to think about ideology, assuring everyone that true believers are always irrational and dangerous, and suppressing any ideology that says "hey, maybe the problem is our goals and process, not just lack of expertise", then you really shouldn't be surprised when people turn to a completely irrational ideology in frustration.

it's hideous, but fascism at least acknowledges that their suffering is not inevitable, which is an incredibly low bar and in no way justifies it -- but it's still a standard liberalism can't meet.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 20, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

DC Murderverse posted:

I spent a bunch of time reading about Phillip K. Dick short stories last night and while some of them are cool and good and should be adapted into good movies, i didn't know about some of the weirder/darker poo poo in there. Like he was so angered by the Roe v Wade decision that he wrote a short story about an America where abortions can be done until the legally determined point that someone has a soul, which is 12 years old, which sounds like the plot of a fake Modest Proposal satire about abortion written by a nut job, except its real.

also a story where the big Twilight Zone twist at the end is that a lady probably hosed a duck

Having read a bunch of that era's sci-fi short stories and authors I think Phillip K. Dick is pretty unremarkable among his peers. I think the reason he's so well known and regarded is because of the film adaptations.

So uhh, what story ends in duck loving, because that's not included in the collection I have.

Tiger posted:

AI-generated conspiracy theory: (spoiler'd for large)

Tag yourself, I'm "Mister Rogers' Neighbourhood is haunted"

I'm Don't believe Donald Trump's dog.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SimonCat posted:

What would you call it?

Parody? In recent years it has become clear that a defining quality of satire is that sufficiently dumb people will mistake it for the real thing. That seems highly unlikely for your clip.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nuclear bomb tests killed 1000 million is probably true

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I watched The Lighthouse last night. What a weird fuckin' movie. I'm not sure if I liked it or not, but I was locked in from start to finish. One of my friends said to keep an eye out for Greek myth imagery, but the only thing I picked up on was the ending when Robert Pattinson was having his bowels eaten by seagulls. I guess Pattison is Prometheus?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

teagone posted:

I watched The Lighthouse last night. What a weird fuckin' movie. I'm not sure if I liked it or not, but I was locked in from start to finish. One of my friends said to keep an eye out for Greek myth imagery, but the only thing I picked up on was the ending when Robert Pattinson was having his bowels eaten by seagulls. I guess Pattison is Prometheus?

Yeah, right up to that moment I got way stronger Rime of the Ancient Mariner vibes off of it than anything associated with Greek myth. Great movie, tho.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

I loving loved the Lighthouse. Easily one of my top movies of 2019. I really wish I had seen it again while it was in theaters. That horn is just so oppressive.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 20, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I don't know if I'll watch it again. Pattinson and Dafoe were great, but the whole time I was watching I just felt uncomfortable. It was fun to experience, but I don't wanna do it again lol. It's similar to how I feel about Uncut Gems. It'll have to be a good long while—like, maybe decades—before I ever decide to do a rewatch of either film.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

I don't know if I'll watch it again. Pattinson and Dafoe were great, but the whole time I was watching I just felt uncomfortable. It was fun to experience, but I don't wanna do it again lol. It's similar to how I feel about Uncut Gems. It'll have to be a good long while—like, maybe decades—before I ever decide to do a rewatch of either film.

Watching it a 2nd time really reveals the humor of the whole thing. I found knowing the inevitability of the story really lets you soak in the performances and also the comedic timing throughout. And the dialogue was clearer on the second viewing, for me.

We're for-sure getting stage adaptations of The Lighthouse, right? Seems perfect for the stage.

We still don't have a Jojo Rabbit thread? This discussion is good, but at this point it needs it's own thread.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Having read a bunch of that era's sci-fi short stories and authors I think Phillip K. Dick is pretty unremarkable among his peers. I think the reason he's so well known and regarded is because of the film adaptations.

I just started reading Dick a couple weeks ago and yeah, I'm for sure underwhelmed. But I think the reason that he's been adapted a lot is because he often has cool ideas, though he doesn't really execute them in a remarkable way.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We now have a Jojo Rabbit thread. Please play nice in your discussions and disagreements.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Esther's review is great and reminds me of my distaste for Django Unchained's depiction of the Klan.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Esther's review is great and reminds me of my distaste for Django Unchained's depiction of the Klan.

I like the review, but I have a gripe with this

quote:

Let’s talk about Elsa, played by Thomasin Mackenzie. She’s a Jewish girl being hidden by Rosie (Scarlett Johannsson), the mother of Jojo (Roman Griffin Davis). The film introduces her as a horror movie monster. She skulks in the shadows, just out of sight. Her fingers slowly curl around a doorframe, like a ghost in a Guillermo del Toro movie. Jojo is terrified of her right away. Is this because the film is from his perspective, and Nazi brainwashing has conditioned him to see Jews as hideous monsters? If so, this might be an interesting choice. I don’t think this is a fair reading of the scene, however.

Because that's the only way I read the scene. Jojo's our narrative perspective, the movie is introduced by showing only his view, because his Adolph is physically apart of the world. So yes, I think it is a fair reading to say that Elsa's introduction as a horror movie monster, and I did think it was an interesting choice.

I'm not disparaging Esther, but I feel like she's intentionally misreading that scene because she really hates the movie.

edit: Gonna x-post this in the thread to get the ball rolling.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

pospysyl posted:

Kanopy is a streaming service for public libraries. If your local library is a member, you can create an account using your library card number and stream a certain amount of movies per month for free. It's got a really great catalog, especially if you're into documentaries and foreign films, but some of the apps are buggy.

Kanopy is how I was able to watch City on Fire and the absolutely wonderful Hana-Bi, it’s got some heaters.

fenix down posted:

I was just thinking - isn't Hoopla the library one? Turns out they are both based on your library card, but slightly different selection. So I searched for Hard to Be a God on justwatch.com and it's on both. Wonder if there is a quality difference? :confused:

I used Hoopla to watch Messiah of Evil and Phenomena, and I can’t remember which but one of them ended with a Windows Movie Maker “thanks for watching!” title card in lieu of credits. Hoopla’s definitely more jank than Kanopy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hoopla is like a mix between Amazon Prime's current catalog and Netflix Streaming's catalog circa 2009. Kanopy is like a mix between current Hulu and Hulu when it had the Criterion Collection.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Tiger posted:

AI-generated conspiracy theory: (spoiler'd for large)

Tag yourself, I'm "Mister Rogers' Neighbourhood is haunted"

Hi, I’m Bitch made babies.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The only one I read was “There are only two kinds of food and you’ll never find the third” and how could that be topped really.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CPL593H posted:

So uhh, what story ends in duck loving, because that's not included in the collection I have.

That would be "Out in the Garden", helpfully summarized here by Wikipedia:

quote:

The story is about a wife who spends most of her time in the garden with her duck, reading and meditating, while the duck is chasing spiders to eat. Her husband is inside the house all the time. One day, the woman gives birth to their son, and the man, tired of the duck, kills it. A few years later, the man is uncertain whether he is the father of the son, since the boy seems to be in the garden all the time. The boy asks his father if he wants to play with him in the garden, and the father agrees, only to find the boy is eating spiders.

and when I thought "boy that's weird" I went to a site that has reviews of all of his short stories to see if it's really that implicative and found this

quote:

Dick is openly influenced by the Greek mythology of bestiality. The Greeks were fascinated by the potential of human-animal couples, human-god couplings, and grotesque creatures taking on the attributes of different animals. For them, the line between human and animal was blurred. Interspecies relationships is also a common theme in much science-fiction writing. In “Out in the Garden” this motif is used largely to interrogate the tensions in the middle class family.

so yeah, that lady deffo hosed a duck

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SpookyWerewolf/status/1230526917465530368?s=20

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Watch The Deer Hunter first because if you don't it will bore you to tears after Ravenous.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Watch The Deer Hunter first because if you don't it will bore you to tears after Ravenous.

Good idea! Uncle Boogeyman made the same suggestion.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I found The Deer Hunter terminally boring, so I’d recommend watching it first so you can use Ravenous as a great palate cleanser.

I got tickets to see The Lodge tonight, no clue what the hell it is/what it’s about other than it’s supposed to be the next big arty horror movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Deer Hunter is an excellent movie though, don't get me wrong. It's getting a UHD release in a few months and I'm definitely interested in that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I found The Deer Hunter terminally boring, so I’d recommend watching it first so you can use Ravenous as a great palate cleanser.

I got tickets to see The Lodge tonight, no clue what the hell it is/what it’s about other than it’s supposed to be the next big arty horror movie.

I too found The Dear Hunter just kind of dull.

Also l quite liked The Lodge. It has a great sense of overwhelming dread and overall it's a wonderfully mean and bleak film.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Also seeing this over the weekend. Going in completely blind.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Instead of the Deer Hunter you can watch John Woo's Bullet in the Head, which is the exact same movie, but much better cause it has Tony Leung and Simon Yam playing Rambo. You can also watch A Better Tomorrow 3 by Tsui Hark, it's also the same movie as The Deer Hunter, but much better cause it has Chow Yun Fat, the other Tony Leung, and Anita Mui playing Rambo.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I hadn't even heard of The Lodge, but it's from the director of Goodnight Mommy which I loved. I might go this weekend as well!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I've still never seen the Deer Hunter.

A while back my friend asked if I wanted to go see Deerhunter - I thought he was talking about the movie, but he took me to see the band. I'm happy with that outcome.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Deer Hunter definitely should be seen at least once by any film lover because it's such an iconic example of 70's New Hollywood and there's only so many of those. It's like seeing footage of a dinosaur.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I haven't seen The Deer Hunter either, but I will tell you to watch Ravenous twice.

The second time you can really feel the hands of Fox loving with the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Deer Hunter definitely should be seen at least once by any film lover because it's such an iconic example of 70's New Hollywood and there's only so many of those. It's like seeing footage of a dinosaur.
Hey now, western PA is still like that!