Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mozi posted:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1230993803307253762?s=20

Wuhan woman with no symptoms infects five relatives with coronavirus: study

and it can be spread via aerosol instead of just large droplets

so just think back to all of the airport screening measures over the past month - they are absolutely 100% guaranteed to have missed a significant number of infected, transmitting people

one of the doctors in their 30s who died in China had mild symptoms before his lungs became inflamed suddenly; two days later he died despite all medical intervention. an unusual but still disturbing case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4HW33SgZlM

This is what the numbers from Wuhan are already demonstrating.

If you go critical with this you have a 50% chance of dying.

But the chances of going critical for anyone under the age of 40 is very low (0.4%).

69+ it's 8-16%.

This thing targets old people.

That report from the lancet states the mean age of people who were in critical condition was 59.7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
this is going to be/already is much worse than sars, right?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If SARS had infected this many people there would be lots more dead

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the fact that it didn't was because it was better/earlier contained, or because it wasn't as easily transferable?

MightySwine
Nov 19, 2013

Rinkles posted:

the fact that it didn't was because it was better/earlier contained, or because it wasn't as easily transferable?

The R0 for current virus is somewhere around 2.6. 2003 SARS was 2.9, however dropped to 0.4 after measures were taken.

So I guess it was just better contained and never reached critical mass.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

frankly, a disease that spreads silently among the young and then brutally owns boomers is actually a perfect natural solution to a very real problem in our society that we wouldn't otherwise ever have the stomach to address so decisively. if half the boomers are dead in two years we'll have fully automated gay space communism in a decade. bring it on i say.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

poverty goat posted:

frankly, a disease that spreads silently among the young and then brutally owns boomers is actually a perfect natural solution to a very real problem in our society that we wouldn't otherwise ever have the stomach to address so decisively. if half the boomers are dead in two years we'll have fully automated gay space communism in a decade. bring it on i say.

The spiteful fucks will have pushed the nuclear button before it ever got to that point.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Banana Canada posted:

Username-post incongruity.

I know I started taking antidepressants and now I want to live and others to live, too

---

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/21/new-coronavirus-cases-in-iran-italy-fuel-concerns-disease-cannot-be-contained.html

"New coronavirus cases in Iran, Italy fuel concerns the disease cannot be contained" yeah I'm pretty sure the bat's out of the bag.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

riseofmydick posted:

This is what the numbers from Wuhan are already demonstrating.

If you go critical with this you have a 50% chance of dying.

But the chances of going critical for anyone under the age of 40 is very low (0.4%).

69+ it's 8-16%.

This thing targets old people.

That report from the lancet states the mean age of people who were in critical condition was 59.7.

i know, that's why i said he was an exceptional case

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This poo poo sucks. What can you even do? The government is not shutting down or quarantining anything, so we have to go to work and go on about our lives. The people identified with this have probably already spread it and it remains latent for like, 14 days? So that means there are already more people that have it here in the US than are identified. What can even be done? I'm going to go stock up on some stuff today, food and stuff like that. I live in the middle of nowhere so I'm happy about that but still. I have to go back to work on Monday and who knows who has come into contact with this stuff.

What can even be done? Take immune system boosting stuff? Shitloads of vitamin C? Stay healthy in general? Pray? gently caress.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Switchback posted:

Hey pal, drop on by to BFC and we can help you get a handle on your finances.

$1500 shouldn’t be an insane amount of money for an adult to have.

Lol and this is why America is gonna be so hosed!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Dr. I watch videos by is sounding very concerned this morning. His colleagues in Iran say the strain there really likes hearts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If this is for things called "savings accounts" rather than all savings across portfolio than 55% of Americans are getting bad advice

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Barudak posted:

If this is for things called "savings accounts" rather than all savings across portfolio than 55% of Americans are getting bad advice

Fifty-seven percent of Americans don’t have enough cash to cover a $500 unexpected expense, according to a new survey from Bankrate

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Gearhead posted:

Dr. I watch videos by is sounding very concerned this morning. His colleagues in Iran say the strain there really likes hearts.

Shoot, it just missed Valentine's Day by like a week!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

frogge posted:

Shoot, it just missed Valentine's Day by like a week!

'Viral Mycarditis' and 'sudden, rapid deterioration' is a thing I really, really don't want to hear in the same sentence.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Barudak posted:

If you're an American who's able to pull together an emergency fund in the first place, then it should probably be in an FDIC-insured high yield savings account.

Unless you're so rich that your response to a 2008-style market crash would just be "oh dear, my 'emergency fund' went from 500 years of lavish expenses to 250".

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you don't have an emergency fund you just need enough guns to take supplies from your neighbors who do. This is the American way. Everyone is dying in China because they don't have enough guns to care for themselves.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Think of the firefights in the streets as free entertainment! Place bets!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sacks of dry rice and beans make poor sandbags. Don't waste your time on those.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

remember to take your multivitamin

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

We Are All Gonna Die: everybody loves kung flu fighting

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
In case there are any doctors here, what exactly can I do? I'm recovering right now from a daycare-induced virus that took me out for about a week, and still coughing. What makes you less likely to be sick? I don't drink or smoke. I'm around the age where it starts affecting people. So what? I do cardio? Weights? What do I eat to be as healthy as possible?

edit: it seems regular 40 minutes of cardio a day makes a very big improvement : https://www.acefitness.org/education-and-resources/lifestyle/blog/6649/can-exercise-reduce-your-risk-of-catching-a-cold

redreader fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 22, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Eat more rear end OP.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

redreader posted:

In case there are any doctors here, what exactly can I do? I'm recovering right now from a daycare-induced virus that took me out for about a week, and still coughing. What makes you less likely to be sick? I don't drink or smoke. I'm around the age where it starts affecting people. So what? I do cardio? Weights? What do I eat to be as healthy as possible?

That would be a question for The Goon Doctor. My understanding from reading is that there's no such thing as "strengthening your immune system" and things like Emergen-C are just filling your urine with the excess vitamin C your body doesn't us. Wash your hands, a lot. Don't touch your eyes, your nose, or your mouth unless your hands are clean. (Yes, this is impossible. Sorry.) But the only prevention technique, other than isolation, that actually exists is a vaccine, and there isn't one yet.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
All I do is smoke and I haven't been memorably sick in 15 years so I suggest that. Even then, that last time was in the middle east and I probably caught whatever that was from petting a camel or stray dog.

Pack+ of cigarettes a day since '98, varying amounts of weed since late 2006. My lungs have so much resin in them the virus won't be able to penetrate my protective lung butter.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I'm no doctor but there's several foods that contribute to a healthy immune system. I never get colds thanks to a regular intake of raw garlic and ginger.
Make sure to stock up on listerine and brush your goddamn teeth and it won't be as bad as it sounds.
A daily multivitamin supplement might help too in case you eat crap and/or not enough.

Also eat more rear end but make sure to wash your hands afterwards.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

vandalism posted:

This poo poo sucks. What can you even do? The government is not shutting down or quarantining anything, so we have to go to work and go on about our lives.
People gotta eat. And that's not like, they have to go to jobs to make money to eat. Drastic quarantines mean cuts to production and distribution of food, medical supplies, and other poo poo people need to live. Putting the whole world in quarantine isolation would be stupid.

vandalism posted:

The people identified with this have probably already spread it and it remains latent for like, 14 days? So that means there are already more people that have it here in the US than are identified.
Maybe. Alternately, the cases of 14 day incubation & asymptomatic spreading are not the norm, and the idea that there are already people in the US ready to go off like a bomb is a jump to conclusions.

Note that there have still been less than 100k people infected worldwide. (And if you think "chinese bad data is under-reporting cases by huge amounts" that also means the disease is less deadly.)

vandalism posted:

What can even be done? Take immune system boosting stuff? Shitloads of vitamin C? Stay healthy in general? Pray? gently caress.
Immune boosting 'stuff' is fake.
Vitamin C, and your RDA of other vitamins, is good for you but doesn't really prevent illness.
Staying healthy in general is a great idea for fighting off Covid-19 and every other illness that exists.
God doesn't exist but feel free to pray if it makes you feel better.

My suggestion: unbookmark this thread and stop paying attention to coronavirus news every day if it makes you hysterical. Have 10-14 days of shelf-stable food around (this is a good idea regardless of exciting new diseases, because normal flu can knock you on your rear end for 2 weeks as well). We gonna be alright.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

To clarify: nothing you do except hygiene will prevent the flu. Healthy meals, exercise and so on are generally good for you, and you're as well-equipped to survive as you can be. But most of it is up to luck.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There is nothing you can do, you just play the lotto and win or die. If you worry about it, buy some term life insurance.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

And leave all your money to this thread, so we can throw a rockin wake.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I haven't showered in a week give me the god-damned Corona virus

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

creatine loading to fight the flu.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

numberoneposter posted:

creatine loading to fight the flu.

And pass a drug test.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I think we can all agree, if we survive this poo poo this is basically the end of outsourcing 90% of your key industries across the loving ocean..

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Pfft ya right were gonna have a recession a bunch of overleveraged people are gonna lose their houses and it's gonna be business as usual again in 18 months until climate change slowly destroys our society.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

And pass a drug test.
now is as good a time as ever to start taking anabolic steroids

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Drink hot water and stay out of cold, is good for your health.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Akvavit means "water of life" so drink plenty of that and also chase it with pickled herring because every Scando knows that those fish gotta swim.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

That study says that 91% of Americans could cover an unexpected expense, it's just that answers like "I'd throw it on a credit card for the rewards points and pay it off in full" and "yeah I'd just shift money around in my budget" are interpreted as "I can't afford it"