Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It turns out that cuts of beef vary from state to state, too. California has this beef cut called a "tri-tip" which is a muscle in the bottom sirloin. It's beloved for slow grilling. I haven't seen it elsewhere in the US; I'm guessing it's just sold as "sirloin" elsewhere.

You can get tri-tip in New England too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

RuanGacho posted:

Honestly Blue apron would be impossible for me if I didn't live on the west coast and had access to asian grocery stores, half my favorites from them over the years wouldn't be possible if things like gochujang and odd cheeses weren't in vogue at supermarkets.

Food is ultimately really regional and it should be, I don't think we can or should try to tech our way around it.
Won't stop people from trying but it's amazing to go watch old cooking shows on like the food twitch channels and see how logistics and technology has a huge impact on cooking.

I think this is because of what I'm hypothesizing, the tech has far wider reach than the logistics can support.

This is true. What brand pepper do you fill the cart with? What size? Etc etc

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

kitten smoothie posted:

But she explicitly said she despises cooking and every service she’s tried, it involves the stove somehow. She wanted something she could microwave. Oh, and it had to be vegetarian.

So anyway if you want to start a business that ships out frozen TV dinners at $12-15 per, I’ve done the market research for you and you’ve got at least one customer.

Freshly does exactly that. my wife tried it since we were fried the first month after babby was born and didn't have energy to cook. It's basically getting a bunch of TV Dinner meals with less sodium and nicer ingredients delivered every week.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

kitten smoothie posted:

An acquaintance of mine recently made an internet post asking for meal kit service recommendations. But she explicitly said she despises cooking and every service she’s tried, it involves the stove somehow. She wanted something she could microwave. Oh, and it had to be vegetarian.

So anyway if you want to start a business that ships out frozen TV dinners at $12-15 per, I’ve done the market research for you and you’ve got at least one customer. If you print this post out it doubles as a coupon good for a few million bucks of seed funding anywhere on Sand Hill Road.

There's a company I really like that sends out delicious microwavable meals at way less than $12/serving with a ton of vegetarian options. It's called Domino's Pizza

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Civilized Fishbot posted:

There's a company I really like that sends out delicious microwavable meals at way less than $12/serving with a ton of vegetarian options. It's called Domino's Pizza

I can get my servings per person down to 1 dollar with costco pizza.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what about people that unironically use chicken nugs or tendies or tots? ( oh god i just remember that techbro vegan "nugs" service)

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

PhazonLink posted:

what about people that unironically use chicken nugs or tendies or tots? ( oh god i just remember that techbro vegan "nugs" service)

One of my flatmates almost exclusively eats chicken nuggets/tenders and potato tots/fries because he can just throw it into the Oven and go back to playing videogames and the thought of how unhealthy that must be terrifies me

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
This thread's icon should probably be changed to the "food" icon because y'all love talk about food in this thread, not to knock on it

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

This is a really great book to help step beyond "following recipes to the letter": https://www.amazon.com/Improvisational-Cook-Sally-Schneider/dp/0062025368

It gives a basic recipe, explains why it works, then gives examples of how you can mess with it or use the same techniques to do something entirely different. Highly recommended.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

This thread's icon should probably be changed to the "food" icon because y'all love talk about food in this thread, not to knock on it

thats all of SA.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Food is good. Software is bad. That is all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It turns out that cuts of beef vary from state to state, too. California has this beef cut called a "tri-tip" which is a muscle in the bottom sirloin. It's beloved for slow grilling. I haven't seen it elsewhere in the US; I'm guessing it's just sold as "sirloin" elsewhere.

Side moving from California to Chicago I've been searching all over for tri tip and I guess this is why I never found it!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Trip tip sounds like some kind of fancy pencil to me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lambert posted:

Tri tip sounds like some kind of fancy pencil to me.

It's that proprietary screwdriver Nintendo uses.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
any competent butcher can give you what you need if you explain where the cut of meat is and what your going to do with it.

Also the FDA and some industry meat/butcher group have their own bible of meat cut names with local/regional names soooo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nowadays most supermarkets buy in pre-cut-up meat, so you're lucky if you have a butcher you can talk to and say "I want NAMP cut 185C" or whatever. (If you have a butcher, I'd recommend printing out this Wikipedia page and bringing it in.)

I'm lucky because I have access to several grocery stores whose butchers actually start from whole carcasses. That's rarer and rarer.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
One Palomino Tri-Tip Wing, please.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Karia posted:

This is a really great book to help step beyond "following recipes to the letter": https://www.amazon.com/Improvisational-Cook-Sally-Schneider/dp/0062025368

It gives a basic recipe, explains why it works, then gives examples of how you can mess with it or use the same techniques to do something entirely different. Highly recommended.

Alton Brown’s “Good Eats” also takes this approach if you’re looking for something to watch instead of read.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Solkanar512 posted:

Alton Brown’s “Good Eats” also takes this approach if you’re looking for something to watch instead of read.

Except Alton gets entirely too far up his own rear end when it comes to his hatred of "unitaskers" and coming up with increasingly absurd ways to "simplify" recipes that actually winds up tacking on an extra 30 minutes of bullshit to a cooking process.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Good Eats and I learned a lot from it back when I was in college, working in restaurant kitchens at night and learning how to cook (2002 - 2006), but Alton gets bizarrely fixated on certain things. He also has one of the most bizarre scrambled egg recipes I've ever seen.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
has anyone ever asked Brown what else he uses his coffee burr grinder for?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Timby posted:

Except Alton gets entirely too far up his own rear end when it comes to his hatred of "unitaskers" and coming up with increasingly absurd ways to "simplify" recipes that actually winds up tacking on an extra 30 minutes of bullshit to a cooking process.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Good Eats and I learned a lot from it back when I was in college, working in restaurant kitchens at night and learning how to cook (2002 - 2006), but Alton gets bizarrely fixated on certain things. He also has one of the most bizarre scrambled egg recipes I've ever seen.

Alton Brown is to cooking what Neil degrasse Tyson is to science.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I had no idea tri-tip was a regional thing, I see it all the time at winco.

I'm starting to wonder what else we have in the pnw the rest of the nation doesn't have (good teriyaki ofc).

Also don't rag on my boy Alton Brown.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
If you watch his more recent episodes he’s really open about mistakes that he made in the past. I think the fact that he went back and redid a bunch of episodes to fix those issues shows a bit of humility that isn’t common in that area.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Alton Brown isn’t perfect, but by celebrity chef standards he seems all right.

He’s just not Guy Fieri.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Freakazoid_ posted:

:hmmyes:

Good Eats is about the only earnest cooking show I can tolerate, and it's in large part because he's honest and forthright and realistic about poo poo.

Also he goes into Bill Nye-style interludes, and I just can't even imagine hating on that, unless your soul is dead.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Freakazoid_ posted:

I had no idea tri-tip was a regional thing, I see it all the time at winco.

I'm starting to wonder what else we have in the pnw the rest of the nation doesn't have (good teriyaki ofc).

It took me a long time to realize that good teriyaki was a regional thing. How do folks live without a decent teriyaki place in almost every strip mall?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Timby posted:

gently caress Alton Brown you never needed him this is all any of you need: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Food_and_Cooking

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

i am harry posted:

gently caress Alton Brown you never needed him this is all any of you need: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Food_and_Cooking

quote:

It has been described by Alton Brown as "the Rosetta stone of the culinary world"

seems like brown is a fan as well? i don't think there's a monopoly on this. My mother was a home economics teacher and said her kids enjoyed his show and it got them excited for class.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Robot that makes tritip sandwiches gonna net me a few mils on vc

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

seems like brown is a fan as well? i don't think there's a monopoly on this. My mother was a home economics teacher and said her kids enjoyed his show and it got them excited for class.

Of course he is because that book inspired him to do what he does. Check out Heston Blumenthal for a better, British Alton Brown.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6s6daq

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Robot that makes tritip sandwiches gonna net me a few mils on vc

Gonna go hand hang out on Sand Hill Road with my pitch for the Alameda–Weehawken burrito tunnel.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/reckless/status/1233016951003320321

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Take an 8 minute break

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

https://twitter.com/thehawaiiguy/status/1233084659476512768

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Take an 8 minute break

there will be three photos taken every 10 minutes, spaced randomly within that 10 minutes. you can estimate the chances of being away from the computer for a specific photo but cannot schedule around it.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

evilweasel posted:

there will be three photos taken every 10 minutes, spaced randomly within that 10 minutes. you can estimate the chances of being away from the computer for a specific photo but cannot schedule around it.

Exactly.

From the article:

quote:

Rony soon realized that though he was working from home, his old office job had offered more freedom. There, he could step out for lunch or take a break between tasks. With Crossover, even using the bathroom in his own home required speed and strategy: he started watching for the green light of his webcam to blink before dashing down the hall to the bathroom, hoping he could finish in time before WorkSmart snapped another picture.

And that's not even the worst excerpt from that article.

quote:

The worker who used Cogito, for instance, had only a minute to fill out insurance forms between calls and only 30 minutes per month for bathroom breaks and personal time, so she handled call after call from people dealing with terminal illnesses, dying relatives, miscarriages, and other traumatic events, each of which she was supposed to complete in fewer than 12 minutes, for 10 hours a day.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Judges from the around the country reacted by saying "umm, duh."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

If you weren't following it, this was the lawsuit where Prager U was upset their videos weren't on the kid friendly section of YouTube. Not banning and not demonetization, that their videos weren't labeled as kid safe.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

And if you don't know what Prager U is, they're one of the groups that advocated that a bakery should be allowed to discriminate against gay people with the argument that those gay people "can just go somewhere else" in a free market.

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/979402607830732801

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Doggles posted:

And if you don't know what Prager U is, they're one of the groups that advocated that a bakery should be allowed to discriminate against gay people with the argument that those gay people "can just go somewhere else" in a free market.

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/979402607830732801

:ironicat:

"Go to Vimeo."