Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m planning on getting a computer just for editing photos. I wanna setup an area away from my main computer dedicated just for it so I don’t get distracted with all the games loaded on my PC and so the hard drive is just for photos. I was looking a iMacs because of the big 5K displays but there’s so many options and I feel like a lot of them would be over kill for just PS/Capture One. I also know Apple tends to overprice as all hell for what you’re getting. Are iMacs good for photo editing and if so what kind of model should I be looking at or are there cheaper options that work just as good if not better?

Any reason a second hard drive you duel boot into wouldn't also fulfil your needs? To play games you'd have to shut down and boot into the other HDD, id think that be just as much effort as changing seats would be and substantially cheaper?

I have this exact setup for programming for similar reasons (but also because windows sucks for that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Any reason a second hard drive you duel boot into wouldn't also fulfil your needs? To play games you'd have to shut down and boot into the other HDD, id think that be just as much effort as changing seats would be and substantially cheaper?

I have this exact setup for programming for similar reasons (but also because windows sucks for that).

One is to avoid distraction which is really just a me issue, not something tangible. The other is where my computer is right now is not where I store my photo gear currently and I want to get a printer down the line and even the smallest printer there is no room for where I have my gaming rig. I was attempting to make, I guess, a photography space so when I’m working on photography there’s nothing else around to get in way or pop-up as a distraction. I find for myself when I have somewhere setup for a certain task it helps me concentrate on doing that task without getting sidetracked suddenly on some random thing that pops into my head. Again that’s just me so maybe this is just a dumb tangent :ohdear:

nop
Mar 31, 2010
Here's a setup that will run circles around the iMac.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nJMYRk

Not 100% if that case has enough clearance for the cooler, or if that's the best monitor, but it's a start. Probably overkill for what you need.

There are options from system builders as well https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Winter-Special-II
Prebuilt PCs aren't as trash as they once were.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is Affinity Photo generally the best alternative to Lightroom? I played around with it and like it well enough, and I'm tired of Lightroom eating my catalogues every time.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm not sure you'll get people to agree on "the best". RAW processing software is very much personal preference. Capture One is probably the next big player but it's interface is nothing like LR and it's rather expensive.

Lightroom, Capture One, Affinity Photo, Dark Table, Rawtherapee, Silkypix, Lightzone, ON1 Photo RAW, Skylum Luminar, Canon digital photo professional, Capture NX-D, Exposure X5, DxO PhotoLab, Corel Aftershot Pro, ...

Pick your poison. If you like the results it gives is the real test.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

ijyt posted:

Is Affinity Photo generally the best alternative to Lightroom? I played around with it and like it well enough, and I'm tired of Lightroom eating my catalogues every time.

For me, Affinity Photo is more Photoshop than Lightroom. I use C1 for developing and Affinity for drawing mustaches on people.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Capture one is the lightroom replacement, affinity photo is poor man's photoshop.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

nop posted:

Here's a setup that will run circles around the iMac.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nJMYRk

Not 100% if that case has enough clearance for the cooler, or if that's the best monitor, but it's a start. Probably overkill for what you need.

There are options from system builders as well https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Winter-Special-II
Prebuilt PCs aren't as trash as they once were.

Thank you, this helps a lot to know what to look for

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm not sure you'll get people to agree on "the best". RAW processing software is very much personal preference. Capture One is probably the next big player but it's interface is nothing like LR and it's rather expensive.

Lightroom, Capture One, Affinity Photo, Dark Table, Rawtherapee, Silkypix, Lightzone, ON1 Photo RAW, Skylum Luminar, Canon digital photo professional, Capture NX-D, Exposure X5, DxO PhotoLab, Corel Aftershot Pro, ...

Perhaps a while ago, now C1 has a window setup that is essentially Lightroom to a T.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

ijyt posted:

Pablo Bluth posted:

If you have a Fuji/Sony, you can get a discounted (~$130) license for Capture One. Even the regular license is not expensive (assuming you have already spent >$1k on camera gear), but I admit it's not cheap either.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Capture One always gets a mention, and I'd like to know what about it is so much better than any of the other not-LightRoom products out there. C 1 is MUCH more expensive than those other options, even with the manufacturer-discount license.

I've been using ACDSee Photo Studio for a couple of years and I'm happy with it. I think it cost me $60? maybe $70? and I can't think of anything I wish it could do. I've never tried to colour-calibrate my monitor, and I can count the times I've put more than 30 minutes into editing an individual photo on one hand. My workflow (such as it is) is centered around getting as many photos up to "acceptable for my Flickr" in the time it takes for me to get bored and distracted from editing photos. Obviously, if your workflow is very different from my own quantity > quality then maybe ACDSee isn't for you. Or maybe it is - the slightly-more-expensive version will do layers in the Edit module.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

Capture One always gets a mention, and I'd like to know what about it is so much better than any of the other not-LightRoom products out there. C 1 is MUCH more expensive than those other options, even with the manufacturer-discount license.

I've been using ACDSee Photo Studio for a couple of years and I'm happy with it. I think it cost me $60? maybe $70? and I can't think of anything I wish it could do. I've never tried to colour-calibrate my monitor, and I can count the times I've put more than 30 minutes into editing an individual photo on one hand. My workflow (such as it is) is centered around getting as many photos up to "acceptable for my Flickr" in the time it takes for me to get bored and distracted from editing photos. Obviously, if your workflow is very different from my own quantity > quality then maybe ACDSee isn't for you. Or maybe it is - the slightly-more-expensive version will do layers in the Edit module.

I spent an afternoon researching options, tried the free trial of "Capture One 11 for Sony" for a few days, didn't see anything missing, bought it for <$70, and over a year later, I still have not found anything it lacks. The only thing that I find confusing is the catalog function, but I've just decided to not use it, so it's not an issue. I'm sure someone who cares can figure it out. I've never used any other editor, so I can't compare.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
I bought a Sigma 17-50 2.8 off eBay as my first fast zoom lens and I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with what I'm getting. Could be me being a scrub (highly likely). Here's some pics I took (ignore the content, these are throwaways):

Those two are wide open at 50mm (lol I just realized the 2nd is at 1/25th. the lens has IS so I'll leave it in here), and here's one at 17mm/5.6

All were shot in RAW, ISO 100, and mildly edited in Camera Raw. Body's an 80D. Do these images look appropriate for the lens? Something about them is kind of bugging me, like it's missing that punch of sharpness. Is my distance from subject or low lighting conditions affecting the quality? I know it's wide open, but I guess I'm expecting a little more sharpness. I keep going back and forth about whether they look right.

AF fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 24, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Shutter speed might be too low even for a wide fast lens in low light.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ExecuDork posted:

I think the initial success was based on being the default software for Phase One gear and offering good tethering functionality. If you ever watch behind-the-scenes videos from professional studio shoots, it's bound to be C1 they are using. The rest is people liking the qualify of the output.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

Shutter speed might be too low even for a wide fast lens in low light.

yep. and for that level of low light, you'll want to drop ISO to 400 or 800, so you can get either more sharpness by stopping down to f/4 or so, or from faster shutter speed.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I haven't used it in a couple months (and I think apple hosed it up for a while) but the tethering function in C1 is insanely user friendly and easy to use, and the editing tools can do basically everything I was using lightroom for. Also, luma masks are loving super useful.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

harperdc posted:

yep. and for that level of low light, you'll want to drop ISO to 400 or 800, so you can get either more sharpness by stopping down to f/4 or so, or from faster shutter speed.

Great, thank you two for the feedback. I was under the impression that as long as I kept it above 1/60th with a normal focal length, sharpness shouldn't suffer. I'll be more careful with that in low light.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You definitely can get usable images at 1/60, but if you're trying to evaluate a new lens you're going to want to eliminate variables and handheld shake is an important one.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

xzzy posted:

You definitely can get usable images at 1/60, but if you're trying to evaluate a new lens you're going to want to eliminate variables and handheld shake is an important one.

IBIS/OIS has spoiled me a lot when it comes to shutter speeds. When I started using my X-T30 I was annoyed with all the blurry snaps I was getting, after growing complacent with slow shutter speeds on the stabilised X-H1. I soon remembered the old 1/<focal length> 'rule' for minimum shutter speeds when shooting handheld.

So for a 17-50mm lens on a crop sensor body, that'll be 1/25th at the wide end to 1/80th at full zoom.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I haven't used it in a couple months (and I think apple hosed it up for a while) but the tethering function in C1 is insanely user friendly and easy to use, and the editing tools can do basically everything I was using lightroom for. Also, luma masks are loving super useful.

One other thing about tethering: I found C1 to be faster to show images compared to Lightroom with my X-T2.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you want to check how sharp a lens is do as many of the following things as you can - mount on a tripod, use a countdown timer or remote, use the lcd screen to focus at 100%, light your subject well, use base iso, use an aperture a stop or two above wide open at least but not fully stopped down.

If it doesn’t pass your test after that, something is up.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

the tethering function in C1 is insanely user friendly and easy to use
Aha! That's gotta be a big part of it, thanks. I've never even contemplated shooting tethered so I haven't looked into what I would need (hardware & software) to do it. Professionals in studios putting a premium on easy tethering makes sense.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Aha! That's gotta be a big part of it, thanks. I've never even contemplated shooting tethered so I haven't looked into what I would need (hardware & software) to do it. Professionals in studios putting a premium on easy tethering makes sense.

OMG, when I adopted tethering for our studio work it made our lives so much easier. I can get opinions from other people on the team with regards to posing, lighting, etc. Leads to a lower rate of unusable shots and less time in editing in my experience.

I'd really like to try it in outdoor settings but need a bit more gear to help support that. Namely a case where I can block the sun from hitting the screen, along with extra power for the laptop itself.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
So I reviewed my photos with that Sigma again on an iMac with a 27" Retina display and I am really satsified with the sharpness...is my monitor messing with me? I have a 1080p 27" at home. I also feel like I was vastly more satisfied reviewing photos from my Rebel T3 than my 80D on my own monitor. (I feel like all the clues are right in front me and this is a MP/resolution issue)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A retina display will have significantly higher PPI than your 1080p screen, so yes, it will look sharper on the imac at the same viewing size.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

AF posted:

So I reviewed my photos with that Sigma again on an iMac with a 27" Retina display and I am really satsified with the sharpness...is my monitor messing with me? I have a 1080p 27" at home. I also feel like I was vastly more satisfied reviewing photos from my Rebel T3 than my 80D on my own monitor. (I feel like all the clues are right in front me and this is a MP/resolution issue)

Is there a chance that the full resolution files weren't loading when you were seeing issues? Depending which computer I'm using Lightroom CC on, sometimes it'll take forever for things to load correctly and images can look soft and have tons of banding.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Could be...I have a slightly older rig. Well, guess I should look into upgrading my computer and monitor sometime. I'm relieved to know my lens is actually performing well.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You could do some screenshots to see if there is something goofy in the rendering between the machines. And double check it is applying the same defaults.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Sometimes I have to force the picture to load in at full quality by zooming in all the way and then zooming out.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Lightroom has an option where it wont show full quality even in develop mode unless you disable it, things can look very different, Check your "develop" settings under the performance tab in preferences.

You can also set 1:1 previews for the library mode.

Basically there's all sorts of things going on under the hood to improve performance by sacrificing IQ in previews and other places apart from final output. If you have a moderately powerful computer and are not messing with thousands and thousand of RAWs you can usually turn them off if you like seeing full quality all the time.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ReverendHammer posted:

I'd really like to try it in outdoor settings but need a bit more gear to help support that. Namely a case where I can block the sun from hitting the screen, along with extra power for the laptop itself.

I don't know what their current generation stuff is like, but if they've kept to their fundamentals the Panasonic Toughbook line of rugged laptops are made for being used in full sun, far from a recharge. They're expensive - about twice the cost of a similarly-equipped, non-rugged laptop - but you can see the screen pretty much always and they're legitimately very tough and fully waterproofed (as long as none of the ports are open, such as a USB port. but those are small). Their advertising often features things like a vehicle driving over a (closed) laptop. Doing Arctic fieldwork for my PhD, we used one to run our scientific instruments and we could just wipe the snow and mud off the screen and keep going. Touchscreens get weird under a layer of that kind of slop.

Also, for using a normal laptop outdoors on a sunny day, I never really settled the debate I had a few years ago about whether it's better to sit facing the sun, so the screen is in its own shadow, or sit facing directly away from the sun, so your body casts a shadow on the screen. Even a tarp set up to shade a computer makes a big difference to viewability.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Also, for using a normal laptop outdoors on a sunny day, I never really settled the debate I had a few years ago about whether it's better to sit facing the sun, so the screen is in its own shadow, or sit facing directly away from the sun, so your body casts a shadow on the screen. Even a tarp set up to shade a computer makes a big difference to viewability.

TetherBlock makes a laptop case for the purpose of shooting outdoors. Rather pricey but maybe easier than trying to DIY something and hoping it survives longs enough: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1354181-REG/tetherblock_tb_dac_v2_portable_daylight_laptop_workstation.html/overview

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ReverendHammer posted:

TetherBlock makes a laptop case for the purpose of shooting outdoors. Rather pricey but maybe easier than trying to DIY something and hoping it survives longs enough: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1354181-REG/tetherblock_tb_dac_v2_portable_daylight_laptop_workstation.html/overview

On the one hand, that is pretty pricey for what amounts to a modified Pelican case. On the other hand, it's less expensive than the price difference on a properly rugged laptop and it's designed for the use we're talking about here.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

It's also cheaper than replacing a MBP.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've not been out shooting for a while, and I'm heading out of town for the weekend and want to bring my camera, I only want to bring 2 lenses with me, thinking a 50 and either a 24-70 or a 70-300, any thoughts on the two lenses you wouldn't leave home without?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

ijyt posted:

I've not been out shooting for a while, and I'm heading out of town for the weekend and want to bring my camera, I only want to bring 2 lenses with me, thinking a 50 and either a 24-70 or a 70-300, any thoughts on the two lenses you wouldn't leave home without?

100mm macro and 18-135mm

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

ijyt posted:

16 f1.4 and 56 f1.2 because those are my only two lenses I own besides the kit one that came with my x-t3. :v:

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

ijyt posted:

24-70 and 70-300 give you the widest spectrum of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
23mm f2 and 35mm f2, unless I'm shooting an event, in which case I switch out the 35mm f2 with the 18-55mm Fuji kit lens