Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
the best translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms is Dynasty Warriors 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the best translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms is Dynasty Warriors 4

Close, but 7 is a better telling of the story. :colbert:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It is kind of nuts how accurately that game captures elements of the book

I read Romance of the Three Kingdoms because I got super into Dynasty Warriors and figured it would be fun to read the source material but it would obviously not be like a big dumb video game and then like 50 pages in it has poo poo like "And then Zhao Yun ran into the battlefield on horseback and killed 100 men with a single strike"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It is kind of nuts how accurately that game captures elements of the book

I read Romance of the Three Kingdoms because I got super into Dynasty Warriors and figured it would be fun to read the source material but it would obviously not be like a big dumb video game and then like 50 pages in it has poo poo like "And then Zhao Yun ran into the battlefield on horseback and killed 100 men with a single strike"

Xu Chu is the unsung hero of ro3k for killing so many men and living. I'm halfway through the third volume of the four paperback set of Moss' translation and it's very good but also at a point it's like. Would y'all stop being stupid and accept Cao Cao as the hero of the age.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I recently finished the first volume of Water Margin and I thought it was funny that like a fifth of the book is dedicated to a cucking subplot that turns deadly and then half the guys involved end up being friends anyway at bandit mountain

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

I recently finished the first volume of Water Margin and I thought it was funny that like a fifth of the book is dedicated to a cucking subplot that turns deadly and then half the guys involved end up being friends anyway at bandit mountain

which version?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

GorfZaplen posted:

Until the Day of Judgement my sword shall not see its scabbard; my horse beneath me will be my throne, my feet nowhere but in the stirrups, and my crown will be my helmet. I shall not sleep or rest until I have taken my revenge; the rivers flow with less water than my eyes flow with tears. May the king's soul be resplendent among his glorious peers, and may you comfort yourselves with the knowledge of God's justice, so that your hearts find peace. We are all born for death; we belong to death, and we have given our heads into its keeping.

rad

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

which version?

I read the Sidney Shapiro version titled Outlaws of the Marsh

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

Can anyone recomend good english translations of historical epics. Im looking for the Three Kingdoms, Water Margin or the germanic / norse epics, etc.

No greek or roman stuff please.

Ciaran Carson's translation of The Tain kicks rear end.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Thank you everyone. A lot to check out.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Franchescanado posted:

Do you have a preferred edition/translation of La Vita Nouva?
Can't go wrong with Mark Musa. Also, I do think this is the best rec for something like In The Mood For Love, as it draws great lyric power out of small vignettes in which nothing really happens.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Do you know who is cool

Hieronymous Alloy

Hes a cool guy and everyone say something nice about him because being a mod is thankless and we should occasionally remind our mod that we appreciate him

Ill start.

I appreciate that he always gives me the time of day when I reach out to him even though I demonstrably do not deserve it

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Do you know who is cool

Hieronymous Alloy

Hes a cool guy and everyone say something nice about him because being a mod is thankless and we should occasionally remind our mod that we appreciate him

Ill start.

I appreciate that he always gives me the time of day when I reach out to him even though I demonstrably do not deserve it

Yeah, HA is pretty good like that. (Condolences about the probation he issued, though! :v: ) HA also did a pretty decent Battle Brothers guide, from what I remember.

But anyway, all these posts about Rot3K is making me really tempted to order it, despite the fact that it seems like this year I've rarely had downtime, during which I can read. It's taking an embarrassing amount of time to get through The Song of the Cid, which should've taken like, an evening, maybe two. :shepicide:
I've gotta ask though, how long is it? Since I've still got the Count of Monte Cristo to go through, which will take me about five years at this rate, so I'm not sure if I want to stack too much on top of that, until I've at least made a dent in it!

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Do you know who is cool

Hieronymous Alloy

Ill start.

I like that HA puts up with everyone even though we are frequently restive and rowdy. And he is incredibly patient and dedicated in his role. Salute to you HA :)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I like that he fixed the title of the Pratchett thread, which I don't read but which I have to see whenever I load TBB.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Do you know who is cool

Hieronymous Alloy

Ill start.

hope he sees this bro

e: hieronymous retire and make me mod. or co-mod. lay down your burden. youve fought so hard. its time for rest

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

e: hieronymous retire and make me mod. or co-mod. lay down your burden. youve fought so hard. its time for rest

Chernobyl/Mel 2020

We will make it so you can't get probed for trolling genre threads and also make babyfucker BOTM

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think HA ugh he's a real jerk!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

But then that's not saying much.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a good non-fiction book about the 1910 plan to import hippos to America? Everything I can find seems either fictional or sensationalist.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I realized I had meant to post that in the chat thread but oh well mission accomplished

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Is there a particularly good translation of The Odyssey? On Kindle.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
TBB consensus is Lattimore or Fagles. I like Lattimore.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Based on the cover and subject matter, I was expecting a dumb, Jack Reacher-style action fest, but I'm really digging Don Winslow's Power of the Dog (and I've already picked up the next two books in the series.) Any other recommendations for heavily-researched, straight-from-the-headlines crime novels?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I have 8 audible credits, help me. I like fantasy and hard sci-fi but I read so much of that I'm not sure there's much of note that I haven't already read, so just recommend anything you enjoyed.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Based on the cover and subject matter, I was expecting a dumb, Jack Reacher-style action fest, but I'm really digging Don Winslow's Power of the Dog (and I've already picked up the next two books in the series.) Any other recommendations for heavily-researched, straight-from-the-headlines crime novels?

James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia (which is also the first book in the "L.A. Quartet" as well as being based on a real case).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

I have 8 audible credits, help me. I like fantasy and hard sci-fi but I read so much of that I'm not sure there's much of note that I haven't already read, so just recommend anything you enjoyed.

Off the top of my head:

The Orphan master’s Son
Dear American Airlines
Out of the Wreckage: A New Politics for an Age of Crisis

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
A Canticle for Leibowitz and Ken Liu's A Paper Menagerie and Other Stories would be my immediate recommendations. I also just finished and really enjoyed Ted Chiang's Stories of Your Life and Others and plan to read more of his short story collections when I get the chance.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Selachian posted:

James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia (which is also the first book in the "L.A. Quartet" as well as being based on a real case).

It’s good, but also almost completely fictional. Aside from a few very basic facts about the crime itself, everything else is fiction.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Lester Shy posted:

Dude, James Ellroy's Underworld USA Trilogy, starting with American Tabloid feels like the inspiration for Power of the Dog. Multiple protagonists globe trotting and moving in and out of each other's lives and committing brutal acts of violence. Decades-spanning "behind the headlines" story of JFK, J. Edgar Hoover, the Bay of Pigs, the Chicago Outfit, etc.

Seriously, this book rules.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I just finished The Light Brigade (Kameron Hurley), A Memory Called Empire (Arkady Martine), and A Little Hatred (Joe Abercrombie).

I love sci-fi and fantasy, and I'm on a kick of gritty stuff. Please suggest me something. . . some popular things I've already read are the Three body series, MBotF, Black Company, Perdido Street Station, and most of Joe Abercrombie's other stuff.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 27, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Baru Cormorant is gritty in a more subdued way, and very beautiful. And gay.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

That would have definitely been a good suggestion, but I've already read it :(

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Looking to get back into reading fiction after falling off it for a few years. I've been in a bit of a bad way lately, so I'm looking for things that are on the funny, cheerful, or uplifting side. Not necessarily cloyingly so, but things that I will smile while reading, because I do appreciate a dark work but I've been reading a bit too much nonfiction about how awful everything is for everyone lately in the interest of staying informed and politically aware, and it's been affecting my day to day mood.

Like any classic goon I like scifi/fantasy, but other stuff (definitely including non-genre fiction) is cool too. Bonus points for LGBTQ+ characters who aren't the focus of tragedy.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Leonard and Hungry Paul by Rónán Hession

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Lex Neville posted:

Leonard and Hungry Paul by Rónán Hession
I checked this out and it looks really lovely, I'm a total sucker for small scale stories about just being kind and appreciating things. :unsmith: Gonna start it soon.

I guess I should mention that I like Agatha Christie-style fair play murder mysteries for their fun puzzle box-like qualities, although they don't really tend to be too uplifting, on account of being about murder. Funny, maybe.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Looking to get back into reading fiction after falling off it for a few years. I've been in a bit of a bad way lately, so I'm looking for things that are on the funny, cheerful, or uplifting side. Not necessarily cloyingly so, but things that I will smile while reading, because I do appreciate a dark work but I've been reading a bit too much nonfiction about how awful everything is for everyone lately in the interest of staying informed and politically aware, and it's been affecting my day to day mood.

Like any classic goon I like scifi/fantasy, but other stuff (definitely including non-genre fiction) is cool too. Bonus points for LGBTQ+ characters who aren't the focus of tragedy.
Have you read Bridge of Birds? Most uplifting fantasy there is.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ubiquitus posted:

I just finished The Light Brigade (Kameron Hurley), A Memory Called Empire (Arkady Martine), and A Little Hatred (Joe Abercrombie).

I love sci-fi and fantasy, and I'm on a kick of gritty stuff. Please suggest me something. . . some popular things I've already read are the Three body series, MBotF, Black Company, Perdido Street Station, and most of Joe Abercrombie's other stuff.

How was the Abercrombie?

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

anilEhilated posted:

Have you read Bridge of Birds? Most uplifting fantasy there is.

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Everyone's gonna tell you Bridge of Birds.

Past that, All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome.

None of those have LGBTQ characters though so I'll think a bit more.