Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm sorry that you have advanced sickness of the organs but the wheel weaves as it wills and all that. the 10 seconds i spend to fix that could be spent doing other things, like writing fancy letters. do you see how complex this is? i have to dab at the ink and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Just finished AMoL. The three Sanderson books were really good in my opinion, much better than books 10 and 11. Felt like a similar pace to the early books. My only general complaint is that a lot of Perrin's development should have been spaced out a lot more, maybe introduced a bit earlier. All of his will I/won't I stuff with the wolf dream lasted way too long. The Last Battle was really good for the most part, but I felt like Jordan's epilogue cut the story short way sooner than it needed to.

Like I get that he wanted to have the final word, but the way it just stops makes me think that Jordan couldn't see past his own impending doom. I would have appreciated a few more chapters fleshing out what happens after the battle.

I'll definitely re-read the books at some point, they were generally good. I think 10-11 could easily have been one book, stripping out a lot of Elayne's stuff.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

bell jar posted:

I'll definitely re-read the books at some point, they were generally good. I think 10-11 could easily have been one book, stripping out a lot of Elayne's stuff.

Why on earth would you strip out the best part of those two books?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

God I forgot how dumb Elaynes plan was at the end of KOD

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yup. On my reread I didnt get the hate for her until I got to that point.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ungratek posted:

God I forgot how dumb Elaynes plan was at the end of KOD

That's the walk into trap knowing one companion is totally bad?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

After one of the targets said into open air GEE IT SURE IS A SHAME THERE ARE ONLY TWO OF US HERE

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

silvergoose posted:

That's the walk into trap knowing one companion is totally bad?

Yes

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

After one of the targets said into open air GEE IT SURE IS A SHAME THERE ARE ONLY TWO OF US HERE

Yes

She also is one of the only people in the world to know there is at least 6 unaccounted for Black Ajah. Never crosses her mind at that moment.

Ungratek fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 29, 2020

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
she is convinced she has plot armour and she is right except the plot armour is other peoples bodies

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And the thing is, one utterly boneheaded decision can be forgivable.

And then she does the exact same thing again

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And the thing is, one utterly boneheaded decision can be forgivable.

And then she does the exact same thing again

Yeah the dungeon scene was absolutely ridiculous.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At least that served the purpose of finally getting through her thick skull that the viewing was not as absolute a proof against genuine danger as she thought.

I do love Birgitte (and later Mat) giving her so much poo poo for that escapade.

(Also: "I'm the queen's midwife, and if I order bed rest for you, you will rest in bed, or I will sick every single one of your servants and soldiers on you!")

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 29, 2020

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
https://twitter.com/WeavesofthWheel/status/1233498295676424194?s=20

a forsaken?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

He looks like an Asmodean

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I am reading the series after only getting through the first four in high school.

I’m currently on CoT and man it’s slow. Are there payoffs or can I just skip to KoD? Currently on a third chapter of Elayne walking to take a bath or something.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
for a first read through? read it all!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I mean, that scene with Perrin, that's on the cover? Owns.

CoT really is the last setup book, in terms of falling dominoes. From KoD and on it's pretty much knocking over pieces all over the place. Kind of savor it before the plunge starts.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Yoked posted:

I am reading the series after only getting through the first four in high school.

I’m currently on CoT and man it’s slow. Are there payoffs or can I just skip to KoD? Currently on a third chapter of Elayne walking to take a bath or something.

I just read through the books for the first time recently (well, audiobooks) and if the chapter you're on has Elayne as the POV, pull that chapter up on the WoT wiki, read the summary, and skip to the next one. I was going absolutely insane

I will probably listen to them properly on re-read now that I'm not itching to find out what happens

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Am I the only one who likes Elayne's PoV chapters from the book 7 to book 11 portion of the series?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The Lord Bude posted:

Am I the only one who likes Elayne's PoV chapters from the book 7 to book 11 portion of the series?

yes

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Lord Bude posted:

No. I do, too. The chapters I don't like are the Faile chapters in the later books.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Torrannor posted:

No. I do, too. The chapters I don't like are the Faile chapters in the later books.

Yeah I hated those. When I do a reread I skip all Perrin and Faile content from the kidnapping to the Rescue

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You suck, Perrin owns and him forging alliances and basically starting his own nation to save his wife rules

Honestly I kinda enjoy how Elayne fought so hard to unite Caemlyn and then it didn't even matter, get rekt idiot woman

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You suck, Perrin owns and him forging alliances and basically starting his own nation to save his wife rules

Honestly I kinda enjoy how Elayne fought so hard to unite Caemlyn and then it didn't even matter, get rekt idiot woman

I liked that and hated that she never acknowledged that she caused a lot of unnecessary death and destruction because she "deserved" to be Queen. Support Dyelin's claim and you could probably have avoided it.

I know, I know, prophecied destruction but self reflect you bitch!

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

Torrannor posted:

I really liked the Faile chapters but wasn't on board for most of the Perrin ones during that arc.

Can someone refresh my memory on the two monumental gently caress ups Elayne made that you guys were talking about? I must have blocked them right out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Neal! posted:

I really liked the Faile chapters but wasn't on board for most of the Perrin ones during that arc.

Can someone refresh my memory on the two monumental gently caress ups Elayne made that you guys were talking about? I must have blocked them right out.

First when she goes Black Ajah hunting, knowing that one of the Aes Sedai in her party was black. She gets predictably captured, gets the other non-black Aes Sedai with her killed, and only gets rescued because Birgitte is awesome. And all the while she's free of fear and doubt, because Min's Viewing said her babies would be born healthy. But she's a little sad that about a thousand of her soldiers died to save her!

Next when she goes disguised as a Forsaken to the prison cells of the captured black sisters, and predictably gets herself captured, and several Kin killed. She's only rescued because Mat and Birgitte are awesome. This second gently caress up in particular shows she has learned nothing, and makes her look even worse.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The best part about the second is that she literally does this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UYNEu6v6AE

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cavelcade posted:

I liked that and hated that she never acknowledged that she caused a lot of unnecessary death and destruction because she "deserved" to be Queen. Support Dyelin's claim and you could probably have avoided it.

I know, I know, prophecied destruction but self reflect you bitch!

I mean, not really? The Shadow plot involving Caemlyn was always coming, the deaths she incur have more to do with investigating that and not with her claim to the throne.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

No, the giant civil war that cost a lot of lives.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I mean, not really? The Shadow plot involving Caemlyn was always coming, the deaths she incur have more to do with investigating that and not with her claim to the throne.

There's chaos across Andor because of the ongoing civil war, which I think she could have averted by supporting Dyelin instead of pressing her own claim. I don't think there were any pitched battles (been a while since I've read it) but there was all the other issues with war for common people.

I'll admit my bias that I felt that, of all the characters, Elayne got everything she wanted without having to give anything up. Egwene was captured by the Seanchan, Nynaeve has to give up her self image, the three boys'suffering is painstakingly detailed. She causes all this suffering and pain and in the end...gets everything she wanted and more.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's good to be the King Daughter-heir.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Wouldn’t be a monarchy without destroying a bunch of peasants.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Darlin is the best king in the series anyway

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

silvergoose posted:

Darlin is the best king in the series anyway

Lan.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I forget, is it Darlin or Dobraine that marries not-Moiraine

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Darlin.

I like the Elayne chapters, but there’s no denying that she is incredibly naive. Her plot armor being other people is the perfect way to describe her actions.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Ungratek posted:

Her plot armor being other people

She's a minor ta'veren but the only effects are this and fresh goat's milk being available nearby at all times whether she wants it or not (not)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

He's no king.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ah caroline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I was doing some unpacking from a recent move and I found this in a box:

I wish they had done one for Rand and one for Perrin, but the WoT IP was badly managed for some reason and we never got a lot of merchandise. I'm sure something will come out because of the show (I despise funco pops but I'll probably buy any WoT ones) here's hoping it's something cool.