Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bananaquiter posted:

Not to be all conspiracy theory, but are there many other viruses out there that mostly ignore children?

According to my research there are plenty.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Miri_(episode)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Owned_a_City
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_(TV_series)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Between_(TV_series)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tribe_(1999_TV_series)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Colonel Cancer posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/emanuelmaiberg/status/1235198625883598848

"Oh no! I spilled the only dose of the coronavirus vaccine on my penis! Whatever will we do now?!"

my guess is this is the sort of thing that's made not due to demand but because of the free advertising it generates, as demonstrated above

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Non-profit organization that's going through financial struggles right now. Definitely not.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Colonel Cancer posted:

"Oh no! I spilled the only dose of the coronavirus vaccine on my penis! Whatever will we do now?!"

That looks boring from the screen grab. I thought it was going to be some dude dressed in a colorful bug-like costume chasing after a woman shouting, "Ha ha ha! I'm going to get you!" like a cartoon character and then she succumbs to the virus (and ecstasy).

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Picnic Princess posted:

Non-profit organization that's going through financial struggles right now. Definitely not.
So if you needed to make rent you'd be spending your "quarantine" driving uber or something. :thunk:
Good luck!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Xaintrailles posted:

So if you needed to make rent you'd be spending your "quarantine" driving uber or something. :thunk:
Good luck!

My husband makes enough to support us through it thank gently caress, and his work is fine and secure.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

just notify your neighbors that you are contagious and the only way to protect their kids from your virus is for them to deliver 3 meals per day and pay your rent so you can stay indoors

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

poverty goat posted:

just notify your neighbors that you are contagious and the only way to protect their kids from your virus is for them to deliver 3 meals per day and pay your rent so you can stay indoors

How is no one pulling this scam?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

That Works posted:

Hi, I said "nope".

I'm an infectious disease microbiologist, run a research lab and have been working in the field for about 20 years at this point.

There's no evidence whatsoever that this is a weaponised or altered / engineered virus. You're a loonie and engaging in idiotic fear mongering when we need actual facts, or at least good jokes. Go gently caress off to infowars or something.

Who's forcing you to say this? If you're in danger, please flip the light switch in your office on and off three times and a crack team of goons will rappel in to save you ASAP.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Its the origin story of how Sars crossed with Aids.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Pounded in the lungs by my own virus.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Xaintrailles posted:

Good luck!

I bet uber drivers start wearing full hazmat suits.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Shaocaholica posted:

I bet uber drivers start wearing full hazmat suits.

Uber White.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Corona Cruise 2:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1235334277946056706?s=20

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Cursed ships. Who's going to want to book a cruise on a cursed ship.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

Shaocaholica posted:

Cursed ships. Who's going to want to book a cruise on a cursed ship.

Maybe Millenials who can't die from the wu-flu? They could do a Princess Cruise once and then kill themselves Titanic style as they realize that the world holds nothing for them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I lay claim to Burt's mod status!

naem
May 29, 2011

what is that sci-fi weapon??

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

naem posted:

Microwave gun

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Burt don't go :ohdear:

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

naem posted:

Might be spraying Virkon or some other disinfectant.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

No he must go. We need to know. You can't stop the signal.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Latest cruising update:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1235384266122379265?s=20

*The ship has 2500 passengers

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

Old are stubborn, that's what gets them on the end.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Maybe Millenials who can't die from the wu-flu?

With what money/vacation time?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

Lacrosse posted:

I mean the cruise lines could pay them to fake travel and just pose on ships, luring rich forum mods to come join the 'fun'.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lacrosse posted:

Boomer grandparents.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

So has anyone figured out definitively what temps the virus dies at? Rather than trying to decon a bunch of paperwork that has been handled by dozens and dozens of employees with lysol or some poo poo, I'm thinking that putting bulk paperwork in a fancy easy bake oven or towel warmer to kill the bug it so my employees don't have to wear gloves while doing basic data entry. Does freezing work?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

I mean the cruise lines could pay them to fake travel and just pose on ships, luring rich forum mods to come join the 'fun'.

(kill it with) Fyre Festival.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

how many people normally die on cruises? jw. i feel like it's more than 0

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

If it cuts into revenues from already existing products there will 100% be resistance to it though. Just look at medical marijuana.

Although yeah I'm not really on board with that particular conspiracy theory. I am 100% sure that they would find a way to ratfuck the public at large if they had a miraculous cure for cancer though :shrug:

No one cares about the revenues of their old products when their new products generate more profit. For instance makers of CRT televisions embraced LCD screens because they knew customers wanted them and they'd be able to make more profit off of those products anyway, so it was win-win; it didn't matter that the CRT lines were losing revenue to the LCD lines. A company holding the patent to a universal cancer cure would become insane-rich overnight, they wouldn't even have time to lament the loss of chemo revenue because they'd be too busy swimming in a giant money vault of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck

They would absolutely ratfuck the general public if any of them had a cancer cure, but they'd do that by patenting the cure and then charging an exorbitant amount for it.

Pharmaceutical companies are opposed to medical marijuana legislation at the state level because they're effectively barred from entering that game. No one wants to lose out on all of the huge contracts (and not to mention grant opportunities) that are available from the federal government, so to these companies medical marijuana only poses a form of competition rather than an opportunity. These companies would be jumping all over marijuana and THC in general if it was profitable to do so

Bananaquiter posted:

Not to be all conspiracy theory, but are there many other viruses out there that mostly ignore children?

The SARS and MERS coronaviruses had similar characteristics.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Meanwhile in the Seattle area King County is purchasing a seedy hotel in a nearby suburb to use as a quarantine facility and said suburb is pretty pissed. The subtext worth noting is Kirkland, where the nursing home outbreak is centered, is a wealthy mostly white suburb while Kent is not and has a large immigrant population.

Seattle Times posted:

Joined by city council members and the police chief, Kent Mayor Dana Ralph protested a King County plan to buy a motel along a key downtown corridor to be used as an emergency public-health quarantine facility for coronavirus patients, contending city officials weren’t informed or consulted about the decision that could put their community at risk.

“We are very concerned about the public health and safety implications this has for our community,” Ralph said Wednesday. “They are replicating and bringing a situation similar in scale to the Life Care Center of Kirkland and dropping it off in Kent.”

In her statements, which referred to the long-term care facility in Kirkland that has been tied to most coronavirus deaths in Washington, Ralph said an unidentified third party informed Kent officials Monday evening about the county’s intention to purchase the 85-room EconoLodge on Central Avenue North, which recently was listed for sale for $4.2 million.

City officials, in turn, called King County Executive Dow Constantine on Tuesday, who confirmed the county was closing a deal on the motel, she said.

When Kent officials asked why the county didn’t consult with the city about the decision, Constantine responded, “I forgot,” according to Ralph’s office. Ralph and other officials said the county appeared to intentionally choose a site in an area that is more diverse and not as affluent as the Eastside or Seattle.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 5, 2020

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

poverty goat posted:

The CIA released a less dangerous version of the virus in north America before the holidays to inoculate us against the weaponized virus they dropped into China, North Korea and Iran

I wish!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Kerosene19 posted:

So has anyone figured out definitively what temps the virus dies at? Rather than trying to decon a bunch of paperwork that has been handled by dozens and dozens of employees with lysol or some poo poo, I'm thinking that putting bulk paperwork in a fancy easy bake oven or towel warmer to kill the bug it so my employees don't have to wear gloves while doing basic data entry. Does freezing work?

i bet you could use sous vide temp and time tables

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is three olives on one of these cruises?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Bullfrog posted:

how many people normally die on cruises? jw. i feel like it's more than 0

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a5166598-1036-444d-b64c-2498462dc0d9

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Fabulousity posted:

Meanwhile in the Seattle area King County is purchasing a seedy hotel in a nearby suburb to use as a quarantine facility and said suburb is pretty pissed. The subtext worth noting is Kirkland, where the nursing home outbreak is centered, is a wealthy mostly white suburb while Kent is not and has a large immigrant population.

White Center is in a similar position and are similarly pissed about it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zero One posted:

Latest cruising update:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1235384266122379265?s=20

*The ship has 2500 passengers

2500 passengers.... and another ~1100 crew... 3600 souls aboard

Current ETA is 2pm Thursday, probably going to anchor ~2 miles off of SFO, will not dock

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1235398017106223106

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This is probably the death of the cruise line industry. They’ve been plagued with norovirus and other viral diarrhea outbreaks for years and now this. While yeah, this virus is spreading everywhere and cruise ships aren’t special, it’s a PR bloodbath. They are gigantic floating Petrie dishes of death now.