Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

talked about this earlier — The Witcher books are perfect

It even has ASoIaF going on in the background and Geralt hates it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

hobbesmaster posted:

It even has ASoIaF going on in the background and Geralt hates it so much.

Indeed, his least favorite episode is "portals and doublets". Geralt hates that episode.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Book is out.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
was just thinking about how elden ring is also never coming out

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Maybe someone should pitch GRRM a spinoff series, set in Westeros, that just so happens to take place right after ADWD

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe someone should pitch GRRM a spinoff series, set in Westeros, that just so happens to take place right after ADWD

I've seen that spin off. It sucked.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

kalvanoo posted:

is there a good fantasy series that just has good characters and a good story

Chronicles of Amber.

Earthsea.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Cavelcade posted:

A good example of this is FF7 vs FF13.

In 7, you're introduced to ShinRa Corporation, SOLDIER, MAKO, ancients, etc, all within the first hour or so of the game. Do you know what each of those things are in the full contexr of Gaia? Not at all! But ShinRa is just named after its president, SOLDIER are dudes who are good at fighting, MAKO is turned into energy causing the planet to undergo climate changedie, ancients are people from long ago. The audience can infer what the meaning is with various degrees of accuracy from those names - later on we find out the ancients is just what non-nerds call Cetra, a totally normal behaviour.

In 13, you're given a bunch of contextless words that have no meaning attached and explanations are hard to find at the time you hear them - you're left with much more work to do to infer what's meant with no payoff for doing so.

The fact that FF13 needed a whole in game encyclopedia to explain poo poo is one of the reasons I gave up on the game.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

TeaJay posted:

I just can't get into the modern FF games' aesthetics, I can't stand the generic anime look of the characters in 13 or 15. I have a friend who's really into JRPG's and he just says that FF15 is a good game but it's not a really good Final Fantasy game.

It's been getting less and less of a fantasy game and more futuristic scifi since VI. But even the futuristic scifi elements are starting to disappear. I played a bit of XV for the first time a few weeks ago and it just straight up looked like current day rural America as interpreted by Japanese.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

MonsieurChoc posted:

Chronicles of Amber.

Earthsea.

these seem cool thank you

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kalvanoo posted:

ignoring my witcher suggestion???? very rude.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gianthogweed posted:

It's been getting less and less of a fantasy game and more futuristic scifi since VI. But even the futuristic scifi elements are starting to disappear. I played a bit of XV for the first time a few weeks ago and it just straight up looked like current day rural America as interpreted by Japanese.

VIII and XV have a lot in common aesthetically and in their world design. This isn't new for FF.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

kalvanoo posted:

Start with Lord of Light if you like Sam you’ll like Corwin.

Read Earthsea regardless.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gianthogweed posted:

I played a bit of XV for the first time a few weeks ago and it just straight up looked like current day rural America as interpreted by Japanese.
I mean, to be fair that was the best part of the game.

I was generally enjoying things right up until you complete the first real questline and you get a sudden plot bombardment, where they play what amounts to a trailer for the other game that they didn't make because they ran out of money and made this game instead. And then i realized that even at its best FF15 was going to be a profoundly broken experience, and i walked away.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

scary ghost dog posted:

ignoring my witcher suggestion???? very rude.

tv show was not for me

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

kalvanoo posted:

is there a good fantasy series that just has good characters and a good story

NK Jemisin's stuff is by and large pretty great. The Broken Earth trilogy is what she's known for now but I think it's a bit uneven and harder to get into than her Hundred Thousand Kingdoms trilogy, so I'd recommend starting there. 100k has maybe one of the best endings to a series that I've ever read and I hope she revisits it in a short story or something one day.

They both have great world building, pretty solid characters, and interesting takes on fantasy tropes. Also she manages to weave in "diversity" and social justice without it feeling shoehorned or pandering.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

kalvanoo posted:

tv show was not for me

Ok, and?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kalvanoo posted:

tv show was not for me

i probably shouldnt attempt to argue with this logic, in this thread

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn › ASoIaF: recommendations of completed books

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

scary ghost dog posted:

i probably shouldnt attempt to argue with this logic, in this thread

:hmmyes:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Just chiming in to say Malazan is crap. When trying to scratch that fantasy itch I enjoyed Jack Vance's Dying Earth. Getting lured in with quirky short stories worked well for me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mat Cauthon posted:

NK Jemisin's stuff is by and large pretty great. The Broken Earth trilogy is what she's known for now but I think it's a bit uneven and harder to get into than her Hundred Thousand Kingdoms trilogy, so I'd recommend starting there. 100k has maybe one of the best endings to a series that I've ever read and I hope she revisits it in a short story or something one day.

They both have great world building, pretty solid characters, and interesting takes on fantasy tropes. Also she manages to weave in "diversity" and social justice without it feeling shoehorned or pandering.

I loved both trilogies immensely.

I also just gobbled down Everfair which is another great bit of speculative fiction by a woman of color.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
GRRM's convention will be canceled and he'll self-isolate in a cabin on that island in New Zealand that exploded.

The book will never come out.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Ague Proof posted:

GRRM's convention will be canceled and he'll self-isolate in a cabin on that island in New Zealand that exploded.

The book will never come out.

The only real question is when won't the book come out, how many times won't the book come out, and when will he finally die so his spirit can be released, and then Sanderson can complete the book.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

The only real question is when won't the book come out, how many times won't the book come out, and when will he finally die so his spirit can be released, and then Sanderson can complete the book.

Sanderson has better things to do than write TV show novelizations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Basileus777 posted:

Sanderson has better things to do than write TV show novelizations.

I'm assuming this means you've never actually tried to read any of his "work". Publishing the exhaustive backstories of RPG video games sans sans mechanics is hardly "better things".

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

pseudanonymous posted:

What is not coming out may never come out.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 9, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

But rises shittier. And saltier.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Lemony.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol it's doubtful there's enough people who want GRRM to finish this series at this point, much less someone else.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Someone give GRRM coronavirus so we can end this charade.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Someone give GRRM coronavirus so we can end this charade.

If only it made one poo poo, and drink, and poo poo the more you drink, and the more one shits the thirstier one becomes.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I genuinely have no idea why anyone would want Sanderson of all people to finish asoiaf.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Ninth Layer posted:

I genuinely have no idea why anyone would want Sanderson of all people to finish asoiaf.

because at this point we just like the abuse

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Too bad the characters aren't the audience.

If the reader's getting lost, it's a moment for the author to stop and consider how well they're actually doing the show part of 'show, don't tell'.

Though to be fair, I never really got lost reading Malazan-books, so the author maybe just really overestimated his audience? Anyway, the first one was kind of mediocre, but I managed to have enough fun reading it I eventually made my way through the entire series twice.

On the other hand, I've read some of Kevin J. Anderson's books and liked them well enough, and people on this forum tend to go into this really off-putting rage whenever that guy comes up, so maybe I just have a weird taste and a really high bullshit-threshold?

Also lately I learned that the Witcher books were written by a Polish author and are far better than the games' stories, so I'll probably get around to them at some point, now that I know that they aren't just video game novels

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

Also lately I learned that the Witcher books were written by a Polish author and are far better than the games' stories, so I'll probably get around to them at some point, now that I know that they aren't just video game novels

I apologize if I offend anyone, as this is just my opinion, but I tried to read the Witcher books and I felt like I was listening to a 13 year old boy narrate himself playing a video game. It was painfully bad, and I couldn’t even finish the first book. It’s maybe one of 3 books in my life that I’ve started reading (out of hundreds) and didn’t finish.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
What were the others?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

I apologize if I offend anyone, as this is just my opinion, but I tried to read the Witcher books and I felt like I was listening to a 13 year old boy narrate himself playing a video game. It was painfully bad, and I couldn’t even finish the first book. It’s maybe one of 3 books in my life that I’ve started reading (out of hundreds) and didn’t finish.

Eh, it could easily be the quality of the translation causing this. I'll try our own translation (German) and see if I like it. If the first book isn't good, welp. You can't like everything. :shrug:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Libluini posted:

Eh, it could easily be the quality of the translation causing this. I'll try our own translation (German) and see if I like it. If the first book isn't good, welp. You can't like everything. :shrug:

I had kind of the opposite reaction. I tried starting in German, but switched to English, because the translation weirded me out. But maybe I'm just no longer familiar with German fantasy books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What were the others?

Origin by Dan Brown, and I can’t remember the third.