Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Verin's chat with Egwene in I think Towers of Midnight will probably always be my favorite moment in the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

ReWinter posted:

Verin's chat with Egwene in I think Towers of Midnight will probably always be my favorite moment in the whole series.

It really owns, just an incredible moment. She's one of my favourite characters.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

"Because each time we live, we get to love again."

The Last Battle, won. Everything going forward is just taking care of details.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ReWinter posted:

Probably, yeah.

I still really like the Aiel meeting in Shadow Rising. Where Rand is all like: "Your ancestors were pacifists." And Couladin is all triumphant, Rand obviously has just thrown away all chances of being declared Car'a'carn, while the clan chiefs unhappily realize who's the fake.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 10, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've been thinking about Mesaana. Egwene et al trying to figure out how she beat the Oath Rod, but it seems easy to me. No Forsaken would ever consider themselves a Darkfriend, or Black Ajah, so she could probably quite truly say so. A neat little bit of Aes Sedai twisting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm still working my way through The Great Hunt, and I'm realizing this is a bad thread for me to be in until I'm done with the series! Whoops!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

COOL CORN posted:

I'm still working my way through The Great Hunt, and I'm realizing this is a bad thread for me to be in until I'm done with the series! Whoops!

Yeah uh probably. At least the journey is worth it even if some things get spoiled! Source: I've read the series uh too many times to be sure of the count.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ve spoiled myself on a couple things. It’s not that big of a deal, least it can entice me to get to the good parts while I’m wallowing in the dreck. I’m also not the beholden to spoilers either so YMMV.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Invalid Validation posted:

I’ve spoiled myself on a couple things. It’s not that big of a deal, least it can entice me to get to the good parts while I’m wallowing in the dreck. I’m also not the beholden to spoilers either so YMMV.

Yeah that's kinda how I'm approaching it too. I don't care that much about spoilers, it's the journey that's fun :unsmith:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

COOL CORN posted:

Please post your thoughts here as you read, while not looking at any of our posts.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Vavrek posted:

Please post your thoughts here as you read, while not looking at any of our posts.

definitely post thoughts if you're a first timer!!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I've been thinking about Mesaana. Egwene et al trying to figure out how she beat the Oath Rod, but it seems easy to me. No Forsaken would ever consider themselves a Darkfriend, or Black Ajah, so she could probably quite truly say so. A neat little bit of Aes Sedai twisting.

Semirhage is one of the all-time greats here because she showed up in loving Seanchan territory where they enslave channellers strong enough to cut even her off.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 10, 2020

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Semirhage is one of the all-time greats here because she showed up in loving Seanchan territory where they enslave channellers strong enough to cut even her off.

Probably not all that crazy, really, when you can just totally mask the ability of any other channeler to sense your talent/weaves/active channeling. Having a completely isolated empire to work with and manipulate free of any other form of interference was definitely worth the small risk.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I loved the thing with the foxes and snakes, because they second they went through the first redstone doorway I immediately understood what was happening and where they had gone.

Elaida's Continuous Mistake was also intensely enjoyable.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

The Rhuidean sequence with Rand was some solid "oh. Oh. Oh. Oh" writing

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Was anyone else here surprised to find out that Min's abilities are not related to the Aelfinn's? The way Jordan wrote it seemed like we were to make that connection, and I came to the same conclusions as this person, basically that they saw the same things, just that they were fluent in reading the symbols. But RJ shut the whole idea down.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

ChickenWing posted:

The Rhuidean sequence with Rand was some solid "oh. Oh. Oh. Oh" writing

I kinda regret reading Shadow Rising in middle school because I think I was too young and stupid to really appreciate the significance of that section. It didn't help that my mom (who was also reading the series at the time but was a book or two ahead of me) had complained to me about that part, saying it was a bunch of confusing flashbacks from random unknown characters, so that tainted my opinion of it ahead of time. :smith:

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I've been reading the series for the first time after having most of it spoiled for me by overzealous friends and I have to admit having just finished Fires of Heaven that drat I liked every bit of Asmodean. His musings and his reactions to Rand's insanity was just such a fun run, I looked forward to him in every Rand chapter and I miss the bastard already.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ve said it before but I’d have liked to se Asmodean be best buds with Rand. He could be redeemed. As chosen go he wasn’t that bad.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TGG posted:

I've been reading the series for the first time after having most of it spoiled for me by overzealous friends and I have to admit having just finished Fires of Heaven that drat I liked every bit of Asmodean. His musings and his reactions to Rand's insanity was just such a fun run, I looked forward to him in every Rand chapter and I miss the bastard already.

Invalid Validation posted:

I’ve said it before but I’d have liked to se Asmodean be best buds with Rand. He could be redeemed. As chosen go he wasn’t that bad.

Big same.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It is worth noting he mutilated musicians better than him just because. The man was a petty tyrant.

That being said I did like Isendre being like "all he wants to do is play music and gently caress"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It is worth noting he mutilated musicians better than him just because. The man was a petty tyrant.

That being said I did like Isendre being like "all he wants to do is play music and gently caress"

Make love, you mean...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I must have a different copy of the book

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wait holy poo poo

Asmodean is every idiot IM GONNA BE A SUPERSTAR lovely guitarist mooching off their rich friend ever, and taken to its logical conclusion of being the best by getting rid of his competition, even down to the banging the girl he isn't really interested in but knows he will never do better

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wait holy poo poo

Asmodean is every idiot IM GONNA BE A SUPERSTAR lovely guitarist mooching off their rich friend ever, and taken to its logical conclusion of being the best by getting rid of his competition, even down to the banging the girl he isn't really interested in but knows he will never do better

Asmodean is great.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Was any Darkfriend ever redeemed in the entire series? I seem to recall them all being weirdly committed in a way that struck me as kind of unrealistic.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Vavrek posted:

Asmodean is great.

Yeah after realizing that, I'm sold.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Lets not forget all the innocent people Rand has slaughtered intentionally and unintentionally. Asmodean probably as a smaller body count.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Colonel Cool posted:

Was any Darkfriend ever redeemed in the entire series? I seem to recall them all being weirdly committed in a way that struck me as kind of unrealistic.

There was Ingtar of course. And a couple others. It was gone into a bit more in The World Of, but since the penalty for darkfriend-ism was usually death, and other darkfriends would shank you anyway, once you were in you were in. You might have stumbled across them by accident and it's either join or die, basically.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Colonel Cool posted:

Ingtar and Verin come to mind.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Colonel Cool posted:

At least two.

Verin (who joined for knowledge, but was fully committed) and Ingtar (who joined out of despair). Both defied the Shadow in the end, and scored victories for the Light.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Technically we know of a third: Tomas, Verin's warder

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gnoman posted:

At least two.

Verin (who joined for knowledge, but was fully committed) and Ingtar (who joined out of despair). Both defied the Shadow in the end, and scored victories for the Light.

Verin was looking into the Black Ajah and forced to join them when she was caught doing so, afaik, and she was never fully committed to the cause--though she had to obey the Black Ajah's Three Oaths.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 10, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Verin was looking into the Black Ajah and forced to join them when she was caught doing so, afaik, and she was never fully committed to the cause.

She was quite open about being fully involved in their schemes, committing the same sorts of atrocities, and bound by the same oaths. She was hardly less committed than many others we've heard mention of there's mention of people who swore the oaths as a joke only to find themselves fully sworn to the Shadow.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Verin was looking into the Black Ajah and forced to join them when she was caught doing so, afaik, and she was never fully committed to the cause--though she had to obey the Black Ajah's Three Oaths.

No, definitely not.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Every single character in Randland is a petty tyrant at some point though, so IDK if that's much of an indictment of Asmo. RJ simply didn't believe in humanity being good consistently, because that wouldn't be human. Most characters try hard for whatever vision they have in their head of good and still fail.

Even Sanderson's ending caught on to this - the world without the Dark One is a "win" for the dark.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Um excuse me what kind of tyrant could poor Bela be, exactly?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mad Hamish posted:

Um excuse me what kind of tyrant could poor Bela be, exactly?

Bela was a Darkfriend.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Imagine a hoof stomping on a leaf, forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I'm honestly surprised that there was never some kind of anti-Darkfriend witch-hunt that happened.