Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Boys book in Brothers Karamazov is very great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

EmmyOk posted:

The Boys book in Brothers Karamazov is very great

Read Demons too.

Demons is sneaky his second best

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
where is the thread for the Traitor Son Cycle

or are there not enough people that care about man vs wild

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

quit going out in public and read some long-assed books for the next 14 days

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

ulvir posted:

quit going out in public and read some long-assed books for the next 14 days

Regret to inform you that this is now you:

https://twitter.com/matthaig1/status/1237784031087022080
https://twitter.com/matthaig1/status/1237783686810140672

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

not sure who that guy is but going around buying books right now sounds extremely fail

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Quit Being a loving Disease Vector and Stay Inside Reading Some Real Literature

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

New Twilight Zone where you self-quarantine with all your books but you catch it and die anyways.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Guy A. Person posted:

Quit Being a loving Disease Vector and Stay Inside Reading Some Real Literature

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Thinking about doing The Plague by Camus as a fun little seasonal read.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Thinking about doing The Plague by Camus as a fun little seasonal read.

I'd be in for that

BotM next month @HeironymousAlloy?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

I'd be in for that

I'd read along as well.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
It was botm already!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808962

it's one of my favorites, though

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CoolHandMat posted:

where is the thread for the Traitor Son Cycle

or are there not enough people that care about man vs wild

there are already plenty of threads in this forum for bad fantasy novels

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bilirubin posted:

I'd be in for that

We did The Plague n 2017 so my current plan is the Decameron.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

its too long and doesnt have good worldbuilding, goons wont read it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Oh, everyone likes putting the devil in hell

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

there's also the lesser-known and more aggressively communist plague book i burn paris by bruno jasienski

that's a good read

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
journal of the plague year is short and public domain and i read it for work somewhat recently so that's an option to

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I started The Plague a few days ago. My first Camus and I'm liking it. Once I'm finished with that, I'll be reading Cancer Ward to add to the illness-as-metaphor pile.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

chernobyl kinsman posted:

I think you mean not long enough.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
gimme that dodecameron

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lol

ok what the hell, should probably finish it sometime why not now

add to the poll the Hot Zone too I guess

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

If you wanna do French plague novels again some time, Giono's The Horseman on the Roof is very good and probably the second best romance featuring cholera in modern literature

animaldog
Oct 18, 2013
Any recommendations for books with extremely short stories/chapters like exercises In Style or Invisible Cities? I enjoyed being able to read those during brief breaks at work.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

animaldog posted:

Any recommendations for books with extremely short stories/chapters like exercises In Style or Invisible Cities? I enjoyed being able to read those during brief breaks at work.
Yasunari Kawabata's Palm-of-the-Hand Stories.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Karenina posted:

there's also the lesser-known and more aggressively communist plague book i burn paris by bruno jasienski

that's a good read

Y'all are selling this hard but I kinda want to watch The Little Hours again

I guess if I'm still alive in a few weeks I'll put up a poll

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
I’ve just realised I’ve read no African novels aside from Chinua Achebe. Would love some suggestions of where to start.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Idaholy Roller posted:

I’ve just realised I’ve read no African novels aside from Chinua Achebe. Would love some suggestions of where to start.

Amos Tutuola gets rec'd a fair bit. Palm Wine Drinkard is a good read there.

To add, I enjoyed Silence of the Spirits by Wilfried N'Sonde. If you want African born colonizers, you've got JM Coetzee, Mia Couto (Confessions of the Lioness), and Jose Eduardo Agualusas (General Theory of Oblivion is aces).

Ben Nevis fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 12, 2020

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Idaholy Roller posted:

petals of blood is my poo poo

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Idaholy Roller posted:

harvest of thorns by shimmer chinodya
a grain of wheat by ngugi wa thiong'o

both of these are pretty great refutations of a lot of achebe's ideas in for eg things fall apart

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

animaldog posted:

Einsteins Dreams

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

animaldog posted:

the book of disquiet

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Tree Goat posted:

the book of disquiet

this, it's so good, and you can pick it up and put it down whenever

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ben Nevis posted:

Amos Tutuola gets rec'd a fair bit. Palm Wine Drinkard is a good read there.

To add, I enjoyed Silence of the Spirits by Wilfried N'Sonde. If you want African born colonizers, you've got JM Coetzee, Mia Couto (Confessions of the Lioness), and Jose Eduardo Agualusas (General Theory of Oblivion is aces).

Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton. Technically a colonizer, but his anti-apartheid struggle cred was impeccable.

Country of my Skull is also good semi-fiction. It's pretty heavy though.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

animaldog posted:

I'm reading an NYRB classics book called Novels in Three Lines, which is newspaper headlines from France in 1906.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Some good French-speaking African authors are Ahmadou Kourouma (Allah Is Not Obliged), Fiston Mwanza Mujila (Tram 83), Alain Mabanckou (African Psycho).

There's a lot of great North African authors too, like Naguib Mahfouz, Tahar ben Jelloun and Assia Djebar. They're all very different, so it really depends what exactly are you looking for.

As for flash fiction, I've enjoyed both Lydia Davies' and Richard Brautigan's stuff.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Idaholy Roller posted:

Kojo Laing, Amos Tutuola, Ayi Kwei Armah, Wole Soyinka, Dambudzo Marechera, Yambo Ouologuem, Kofi Awoonor and Bessie Head have all written good novels and most of them are distinctive and unusual stylists as well. I can elaborate on any of these if they sound interesting.

animaldog posted:

Juan Goytisolo's Landscapes After the Battle is all short chapters like this and it's excellent.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I’ve finally taken up Elaine Pagel’s Gnostic Gospels. Liking it so far. After I’ve finished it, what books will benefit from my newfound knowledge of the demiurge and his pals (or whatever the hell gnosticism is about)? Blood Meridian is already lined up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

I’ve finally taken up Elaine Pagel’s Gnostic Gospels. Liking it so far. After I’ve finished it, what books will benefit from my newfound knowledge of the demiurge and his pals (or whatever the hell gnosticism is about)? Blood Meridian is already lined up.

Blood Meridian is about Gnosticism? I want to know more.