Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

navyjack posted:

I quit Trailer Trash because it seemed like there was no real story there. Does anything ever really happen other than the “goes back in time and totally have friends and own the people who were mean to me in high school” fantasy?
Not really? Some stuff happened lately that might kick off and lead to actual events, but nothing that would drag you back. Plus it's got a weird overall feel to it that I can't put my finger on. I am still hoping it does develop somewhere to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
RE: Trailer Trash gradually shifts from "time traveler is totally awesome and solves all her problems" to instead being about a time traveler discovering that life is complicated and dealing with an entirely different set of problems from her first life. It's still pretty shamelessly author-insert wish fulfillment, though.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Jade Mage posted:

I'm running out of main reading material and am starting to have to go out into the weeds. I've read most of the big stuff like Wildbows works except Ward past a certain point, TWI, The Daily Grind, HWFWM, Practical Guide, Katalepsis, Worth the Candle, Threadbare (and the rest of that series), To Play With Magic, and no doubt others I'm forgetting off the cuff. Does anyone have any obscure things I can burn through in my desperate desire to have something to do? I recently read Devourer of Worlds which is a weird premise done really well, but I don't wanna have to sift through that website to hope to find something I can read without being invested in the whole 'quest' experience

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 A young genre-savvy DnD Player Character (not a Player, but the Character) gets accidentally summoned into the Potterverse by some very confused Death Eaters and ends up having to hide out in Hogwarts and pretend to be a Wizard despite having no knowledge of the local magic, history, or common sense.

Now You Feel Like Number None (Bleach Arrancar Quest) "You're an old model. Disposable. Try not to get eaten alive." I never made it past the first arc of Bleach and I had to look up pretty much every character in a wiki but this is still one of the best stories I've ever read online. Read the first chapter before passing judgement.

Warhammer Fantasy: Divided Loyalties - an Advisor's Quest An inexperienced young mage is sent to a struggling province to serve as the spymaster for the new lord, following the mysterious (and likely horrible) death of the previous lord.

But Doctor, I Am Pagliacci A sane Joker wakes up in a world without Batman, and sets out to fix that.

False Prophets (BattleTech CYOA) A battletech nerd wakes up a thousand years in the future and uses their encyclopedic knowledge of Battletech to build an army of big stompy robots.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
If you're really desperate, you could try Metaworld Chronicles. It's certainly popular.

I dropped it around...280 or so? Not because of it being problematic, though there's certainly a case for that. I was just really bored. It felt extremely formulaic, I never felt surprised by anything, there didn't really seem to be any real character development, and the protagonist is a ridiculous Mary Sue that everyone is constantly agog at. It's worse for that last bit than even HWFWM or TWI imo, because at least Jason and Erin seem to be have a decent amount of depth to their personalities, ol' whatsherface is basically made up of nothing but being ridiculously good at magic + people staring at her.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I've been enjoying The Last Science (by the same author as Epilogue). It gets off to a pretty slow start, partially because neither of the initial two PoV characters are great (Alden's just sorta dull, and Rachel is a bit offputting). The first interlude arc from Hailey's PoV 10 chapters in was where I started to actually enjoy it.

It's a very character-driven story about the discovery of magic in a quiet Oregon college town and their attempts at figuring out how to establish a society that it fits into. It's distinctly not a happy story where things always (or even eventually) go well for the characters.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

partway through and this is some wild poo poo, thanks!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Avulsion posted:

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 A young genre-savvy DnD Player Character (not a Player, but the Character) gets accidentally summoned into the Potterverse by some very confused Death Eaters and ends up having to hide out in Hogwarts and pretend to be a Wizard despite having no knowledge of the local magic, history, or common sense.

Now You Feel Like Number None (Bleach Arrancar Quest) "You're an old model. Disposable. Try not to get eaten alive." I never made it past the first arc of Bleach and I had to look up pretty much every character in a wiki but this is still one of the best stories I've ever read online. Read the first chapter before passing judgement.

Warhammer Fantasy: Divided Loyalties - an Advisor's Quest An inexperienced young mage is sent to a struggling province to serve as the spymaster for the new lord, following the mysterious (and likely horrible) death of the previous lord.

But Doctor, I Am Pagliacci A sane Joker wakes up in a world without Batman, and sets out to fix that.

False Prophets (BattleTech CYOA) A battletech nerd wakes up a thousand years in the future and uses their encyclopedic knowledge of Battletech to build an army of big stompy robots.

I will second that Now You Feel Like Number None is absolutely amazing. It is every bit as good as any other web novel that I've read and quite a bit better than the vast majority of them. The only web serials I think are better would be Twig and PGtE to a lesser extent.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Reading some comments while re-reading PracGuide reminds me that a large portion of the web serial audience has almost comically bad/cringy taste and I'm thankful that the authors (at least of the ones I like) don't take their opinions into account.

Highlights:
I bet Cat's going to be the GREY KNIGHT!
I bet Cat's third aspect is going to be CHAOS! (this one actually made me laugh out loud, and the comment was completely seriously)

Avulsion posted:

Seconding this - it's actually quite good despite sounding like something I wouldn't even remotely like.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

partway through and this is some wild poo poo, thanks!
"This is too much," she says, out loud, willing her heart rate back under control. "I can't deal with this. I shouldn't have to deal with this. It's my loving first day!"

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Cicero posted:

If you're really desperate, you could try Metaworld Chronicles. It's certainly popular.

I dropped it around...280 or so? Not because of it being problematic, though there's certainly a case for that. I was just really bored. It felt extremely formulaic, I never felt surprised by anything, there didn't really seem to be any real character development, and the protagonist is a ridiculous Mary Sue that everyone is constantly agog at. It's worse for that last bit than even HWFWM or TWI imo, because at least Jason and Erin seem to be have a decent amount of depth to their personalities, ol' whatsherface is basically made up of nothing but being ridiculously good at magic + people staring at her.
Metaworld's getting worse over time, MC is getting more flanderized day over day.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Holy poo poo, HWFWM spoilers for the chapter that was just publicly released, concerning important revelations about the true nature of a character: Neil is buff.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 13, 2020

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Given that there's like 4 different reading points to HWFWM at any given time, you might want to be more specific there.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
How do you guys find the web serials you read, other than just browsing the popular stuff on Royalroad or Web Fiction Guide (and I guess places like this, I suppose)? I've been having some modest success with my recent attempt at throwing poo poo at the wall and hoping it sticks, but and my retention isn't abysmal, but I have a hard time getting new readers to begin with.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Found Super Minion which is a nice drabble about Prototype-esque minion in a superhero setting escaping and getting a job. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21410/super-minion

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Avulsion posted:

It is downright cruel to recommend a story that stopped getting updates within a few chapters of it going from “good” to “really good”.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

blastron posted:

It is downright cruel to recommend a story that stopped getting updates within a few chapters of it going from “good” to “really good”.

I'm hoping that if it gets enough new readers the author will remember it exists.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009

PoorWeather posted:

How do you guys find the web serials you read

Really just this thread TBH, I didn't even know web serials were a thing until Worm drew me in about a year ago. I've been slowly branching out ever since.
Also I tend to rely on SA to curate entertainment media in general.

I would totally read your stuff, I greatly enjoyed Margret in LP 13th age, but searching ''Poorweather" on royal road turns up nothing?

If you want my 2 cents, I think it was Stephen King that said that when "Author of ___________" starts appearing on the cover of your books, that's when you know you're over the hill as an author. But this is the internet. Seize any advantage you've got. Mention your stuff wherever you've got a presence.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Avulsion posted:

I'm hoping that if it gets enough new readers the author will remember it exists.

It updated twice in 2018 with the author promising a return to regular updates, then... nothing :mad:

Seconding that this is great. It took a silly joke premise and then spun it into a legit story and somehow managed to create a real character arc for the main character. I would like to read more of Fiona or anyone in a similar situation as her.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

jboslund posted:

Really just this thread TBH, I didn't even know web serials were a thing until Worm drew me in about a year ago. I've been slowly branching out ever since.
Also I tend to rely on SA to curate entertainment media in general.

I would totally read your stuff, I greatly enjoyed Margret in LP 13th age, but searching ''Poorweather" on royal road turns up nothing?

If you want my 2 cents, I think it was Stephen King that said that when "Author of ___________" starts appearing on the cover of your books, that's when you know you're over the hill as an author. But this is the internet. Seize any advantage you've got. Mention your stuff wherever you've got a presence.

Oh, I can link it here, if you want. I don't know if you'll like it, though; I tried to make an effort to appeal to some of the bigger web fiction reader communities as well as do my own weird poo poo, and in some ways I feel that the result is a bit peculiar.

Your advice is probably good in theory, but I kinda like to keep my online stuff reasonably separate to save myself from embarrassment. And besides, outside of this forum, I've never done anything remotely prolific anyway.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Some of the ones I’m reading that I haven’t seen mentioned:

“A Journey of Black and Red” - Young woman gets turned into a Vampire in the early 1800s and begins trying to work her way through the Supernatural world.

“Deeper, Darker” - Far-future space opera romp

“Chrysalis” - Isekai/LitRpg. Reborn in the body of an ant. Relentlessly cheerful and optimistic protagonist.

“Delve” - Isekai/LitRpg. Adventures of a support class.

“Heather the Necromancer” - Portal Fantasy/LitRpg.

“Digital Marine” - Far Future LitRpg

“Vainquer the Dragon” - Portal Fantasy/LitRpg

“Beastborn” - Isekai/LitRpg

“Incursions” - Superhero/LitRpg

“Dungeon Crawler Carl” - LitRpg

“Lore Olympus” - Comic. Greek Gods in modern setting.

I make no promises as to quality, but they update often enough that I don’t drop them.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Grognan posted:

Found Super Minion which is a nice drabble about Prototype-esque minion in a superhero setting escaping and getting a job. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21410/super-minion

Yeap, this is good. You get the district impression that there's some serious world building behind the scenes.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This was good, although the ending seems a bit weak.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's kinda neat noticing in retrospect how Bard basically manipulates Lone Swordsman away from changing his mind in this chapter*. He was obviously heading towards some sort of change in direction (though I'm not sure how that would work given the whole "pledged to Contrition" thing), but then she reassures him that what he's doing is actually Cool and Good.

From Catherine's perspective he's basically a total prick from start to end, but Bard's intervention basically stopped him from maturing off of the destructive path he was heading down.

* https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/2016/02/10/heroic-interlude-riposte/

edit: Another thing I've noticed on re-read that I just sort of glazed over the first time was the fact that Lone Swordsman's "training" after his first encounter with Catherine consisted of spending a year in Arcadia fighting the Wild Hunt. Which means nothing to the reader at the time, but obviously context is given to that later.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 14, 2020

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Another thing I've noticed on re-read that I just sort of glazed over the first time was the fact that Lone Swordsman's "training" after his first encounter with Catherine consisted of spending a year in Arcadia fighting the Wild Hunt. Which means nothing to the reader at the time, but obviously context is given to that later.

I'm most of the way through a re read and forgot about that, it's mentioned a few times throughout that the wild hunt is bound to spring/autumn so the courts must have switched not long after this

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
forgive me if this has been posted but https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-law-of-averages.743552/

iskaei? but its an insert person in a super hero setting but it seems coherent

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

tithin posted:

This was good, although the ending seems a bit weak.

The ending is yet to come out.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Grognan posted:

forgive me if this has been posted but https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-law-of-averages.743552/

I've been following it on RR - it's pleasant, but sometimes bland (though it looks like it's moving in a more interesting direction) And the release speed is REALLY slow, which combined with the slow-moving plot causes it to feel glacial.

It'd prolly end up as a more enjoyable read as a whole work instead of a serial honestly.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Grognan posted:

Super minion is good, but be warned the update schedule is extremely slowly. one chapter every month or two.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Katalepsis: Evelyn finally got a hug from Twil, and she wasted the chance by turning her crush into a human cannonball? Revenge truly is never worth it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Argue posted:

The ending is yet to come out.

The most recent chapter, the denouement

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ward seems to be hitting a high point.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Grognan posted:

Space...battles?!?! :dance:

that forum name makes me so happy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other thing clear on re-read of PracGuide is that Malicia was pretty obviously manipulating Black throughout pretty much the entire story, and she even explicitly says at the end of Book 2 that Black's biggest weakness is his attachment to others. That scene is particularly blatant, because right after she says that Black is like "there must be some other reason why Hieress wants Liesse" and Malicia just kinda manipulatively goes "do you trust me?" knowing full-well that he'd strongly oppose what she's doing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Xun posted:

It's a forum that originally started for nerds to argue over whether star wars ships could beat Star trek ships in a fight or whatever, with excessively complicated citation and debate rules. It's grown a lot from that origin but still has quite a lot of the most insufferable kind of nerd imaginable, so be wary.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Obviously a goose beats both.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The Shortest Path posted:

It's a forum that originally started for nerds to argue over whether star wars ships could beat Star trek ships in a fight or whatever, with excessively complicated citation and debate rules. It's grown a lot from that origin but still has quite a lot of the most insufferable kind of nerd imaginable, so be wary.

Case in point: it was the first Internet forum I ever posted on. :madmax:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
There are a handful of offshoots: Sufficient Velocity is the same but a bit "better," got big when SB was having technical problems and also when they kicked a popular, trans mod and tried to pass it off as her happily retiring. Gets accused of being for "SJWs" a lot, but isn't perfect. Questionable Questing is for porn and also has a no politics rule where politics is asking people not to use slurs or be into kids. Recently, there's the Sietch - SB turned out to have a secret private message thread where the "conservative" mods tried to "help" "coach" "problem posters" to "fit in better" and "not get banned" by using cunning phrases like "dindus" not publicly calling for genocide and got outed for it, so they went off and created nazi SB.

SB and SV are the decent ones, mostly. A lot of stories are posted on both.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 17, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Xun posted:

SB has a good name, but their posts, they are so terrible :negative:
There's not a single sizable thread in Creative Writing that doesn't have the mods stepping in to shut down some internet autist being really creepy, or getting really carried away with things, or derailing the thread on some tangentally-related thing for like three pages. There's a few pretty good fanfics there, but most of them are average schlock.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 17, 2020

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Radio Free Kobold posted:

SB has a good name, but their posts, they are so terrible :negative:
There's not a single sizable thread in Creative Writing that doesn't have the mods stepping in to shut down some internet autist being really creepy, or getting really carried away with things, or derailing the thread on some tangentally-related thing for like three pages. There's a few pretty good fanfics there, but most of them are average schlock.

Turn on Reader Mode and never turn it off. You'll only see the posts that the OP has tagged as relevant to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I read The Last Science through Book 2 since it was referenced here recently. It's good, I definitely like it. But the author sure has a knack for making you frustrated. I'm so mad at Beverly after her disastrous breakdown. And Natalie got really bad by the end too. I know everyone seems to believe Rachel is going to become Wizard Hitler, but considering the end of book 2, I'm all for it.