Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I figured this would be a good reason to quit smoking, so I got a vape and have been blowing clouds of blackberry jam for the last couple of days.

Scorched my lungs with the temp too high last night and was short of breath for a little while.

Lesson: introduce a variable that will result in false positives of roni-symptoms. That way you can just lie to yourself and think everything will be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MarcusSA posted:

Also if you don’t think the UK is gonna be worse just lol

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1239237647031242752?s=21

Just a reminder Italy started 11 days ago.
That's a 7% death rate across the board

I imagine it's higher than the average in other countries because of the average age being higher but also because of the healthcare situation

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

monkeytennis posted:

Whitty and that Patrick guy seem pretty switched on to me. What they are saying sounds like it make sense.

What will happen if everyone stays home? Will the virus just die out and be gone when everyone comes outside in a couple of weeks? Or is it a case of ‘when not if’ in terms of whether most of us will end up catching or not?

Love him or hate him I’d rather have BoJo saying “yes this will kill people” than that fat orange turd the US have tweeting out bullshit and lies like “someone else did it, I don’t know anything about it”.

the government following a plan devised by well respected scientific advisors, that's what you want isn't it?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FlamingLiberal posted:

I imagine it's higher than the average in other countries because of the average age being higher but also because of the healthcare situation

The whole not testing thing so no idea what the actual numbers here thing is what throws me off. NYC's first case (that we know of) was March 1st. Right now statewide it's in the 700 range with 2 deaths in 15 days, which is nowhere near italy numbers

e: 729/3 deaths currently

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Nurge posted:

It won't, and also it's pretty loving hypocritical of people to scream death to boomers in this thread and then get huffy when I say I don't give a gently caress whether I get it or not.

didn't you scream that mods should suck on a shotgun and kill themselves? lol shut up

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

stinch posted:

the government following a plan devised by well respected scientific advisors, that's what you want isn't it?

Erm, yes?

schmug
May 20, 2007

Alien Sex Manual posted:

I’m so worried about my friend who went to Costa Rica even though I begged her not to. Also my parents but that’s more due to their boomer pigheadedness.

My mom and aunt are leaving for Cozumel on Wednesday from Northeast Ohio...if flights don't get canceled that is. They are both close to 70 and haven't even considered not going. Best part is they've gone every loving year for like the last 10 years so it's not like they would be missing out on a once in a lifetime thing or some poo poo.

loving boomers.

fake edit: might actually be their last life tho :haw:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
viruses are basically just an extension of the weather

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Quebec ordering all bars closed, same for buffets, cinemas. Restaurants are ordered to operate at 50% capacity and maintain 1 metre distance between clients.
Doesn't make sense to me, restos should be closed just the same, really.

Canadians abroad are strongly advised to return to Canada. Shutting down airports more and more likely.

1500+ doctors in Quebec might be taken out of service as they are 70 years old or older.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
Anyone else getting the sense that we're watching natural selection happen in real-time?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

schmuckfeatures posted:

THIS JUST IN

the government just banned farts.

stop farting immediately and/or hold it on or face the consequences

staying stoned since last thursday has definitely helped with stress levels.

edit; lol quoted wrong guy :350:

flubber nuts fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 15, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

The whole not testing thing so no idea what the actual numbers here thing is what throws me off. NYC's first case (that we know of) was March 1st. Right now statewide it's in the 700 range with 2 deaths in 15 days, which is nowhere near italy numbers

e: 729/3 deaths currently
Most of the deaths recently reported in Italy are in the region where most of the cases came from, and the hospitals don't have enough capacity to treat all of the cases. So people are just dying. It was also mentioned that the spread was way worse since people were not avoiding contact at all in that area and by the time the government implemented measures a lot of people would have been infected already.

PseudoThief
May 12, 2007
If I don't see it it's not illegal!
Is there a goon team for Folding@home yet?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/markwby/status/1238867143363567616

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Anyone else getting the sense that we're watching natural selection happen in real-time?
Yes, MRAs and white supremacists are insanely jerking off to this concept. They believe the weak will all die, they'll rule the world, and there will be a lot fewer jobs that will go to men, so women will be forced to stay at home to be sex slaves and raise kids.

Probably not a great side to be on.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 15, 2020

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

i hitchhiked from omaha to denver and flew through seattle with a 9 hour layover to get back to alaska, smoking weed with everyone i met along the way. now that i've made it home, i've stocked up and avoided leaving the house. but it's a squat house and my fellow squatters keep going out to party and do crimes. there's a big pile of cheap tp, i think they must've stripped every public restroom in town and in lieu of hand sanitizer we've got ~16 gallons of camp stove fuel (denatured alcohol). some of them wear gas masks when they go out, but take them off to blaze with the crew when they get back. we have 2 oxygen concentrators, but only one bottle and it fills super slow. they're kinda hard to find! i ordered a bunch of guaifenesin because i heard the killer symptom was lungs filling up/not being able to breathe, so maybe that will be useful. already got plenty of alka-seltzer, ibuprofen, and dxm. on the plus side we've got terabytes of media for entertainment and a long-running weed grow that puts out around 4lbs/6weeks as long as the lights stay on. my van has solar but it's really only enough for lights/fridge/laptop and the batteries are getting kinda old. there's plenty of food to last until the salmon runs, i'm not worried about that

please rate my preps a la the hit nat-geo program 'doomsday preppers'

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm fast finding out that in the event of a national emergency in Canada, my loved ones will be more likely to behave like extra children who need to be coddled and protected than any type of adult I could rely on. So that's fun.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

millenials: the outbreak monkey for boomers

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

where da tweet

removed because you cant give this actual good advice away??

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

fuckin Joe...

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1239247196022870017

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

PseudoThief posted:

This one has been around several years but good time to revisit:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513956&perpage=40

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
ppl here in NC are finally starting to hide but lmao new york in full party mode and schools open

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

PseudoThief posted:

I am on the Unraid team for Rosetta@home. I'm using 100 percent of my CPU so probably no point in doing Folding. Both good choices. Might put my work machine on Folding.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

PseudoThief posted:

Yes, SAGoons, team number 150

Should be this URL but it seems to be down at the moment: https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/150

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GolfHole posted:

where da tweet

removed because you cant give this actual good advice away??

loving lol

If you click through it you can see it. It’s a good little clip and very applicable to what we are seeing now.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
lol saw the tweet about the Dallas Fort Worth airport yesterday after I got home from there. We didn't go through customs but lmao

Eagerly awaiting my return to work tomorrow. In all seriousness, if I had enough money saved up, I'd prob just drag my current employer and ride it out at home for a few weeks. But I spent 4 years working at a maintenance gig that paid way less so I wasn't able to save much at all

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's a few factors that I can think of that could contribute to the high death rate:

-Italy has a really old population - the median age is like 9 years older than the US, for example - and this virus rips through the geriatrics

-Lots of Italians smoke

-they downsized their healthcare system (ie: hospitals) by like 25% over the last decade

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

There's a few factors that I can think of that could contribute to the high death rate:

-Italy has a really old population - the median age is like 9 years older than the US, for example - and this virus rips through the geriatrics

-Lots of Italians smoke

-they downsized their healthcare system (ie: hospitals) by like 25% over the last decade
I really think the prevalence of smoking in Europe is going to make this way worse over there. For all of our faults here in the US, smoking is almost non-existent just going back to when I was a kid.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Chinese smoke like chimneys and that didn't change anything lmao

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yeah I'm interested to see how the prevalence of smoking came into play there, I imagine it will be a long time before that picture is clear though

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

-Lots of Italians smoke

On your last point while that may be true their Dr to patient ratio is higher than ours as is their bed to patient ratio soooooo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really think the prevalence of smoking in Europe is going to make this way worse over there. For all of our faults here in the US, smoking is almost non-existent just going back to when I was a kid.

You're way fatter though

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Andrast posted:

You're way fatter though

Comorbidity is going to be killer.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Google Butt posted:

Yeah I'm interested to see how the prevalence of smoking came into play there, I imagine it will be a long time before that picture is clear though

Chinese men smoke like chimneys, rates among women are very low. And there is a big difference in the coronavirus mortality rate between men and women there.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

owlhawk911 posted:

i hitchhiked from omaha to denver and flew through seattle with a 9 hour layover to get back to alaska, smoking weed with everyone i met along the way. now that i've made it home, i've stocked up and avoided leaving the house. but it's a squat house and my fellow squatters keep going out to party and do crimes. there's a big pile of cheap tp, i think they must've stripped every public restroom in town and in lieu of hand sanitizer we've got ~16 gallons of camp stove fuel (denatured alcohol). some of them wear gas masks when they go out, but take them off to blaze with the crew when they get back. we have 2 oxygen concentrators, but only one bottle and it fills super slow. they're kinda hard to find! i ordered a bunch of guaifenesin because i heard the killer symptom was lungs filling up/not being able to breathe, so maybe that will be useful. already got plenty of alka-seltzer, ibuprofen, and dxm. on the plus side we've got terabytes of media for entertainment and a long-running weed grow that puts out around 4lbs/6weeks as long as the lights stay on. my van has solar but it's really only enough for lights/fridge/laptop and the batteries are getting kinda old. there's plenty of food to last until the salmon runs, i'm not worried about that

please rate my preps a la the hit nat-geo program 'doomsday preppers'

im getting strong ebola mattress vibes from this. I wonder how long the virus lives on tp? what if the whole supply line is contaminated...

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Italian kissing and hugging culture probably helped spread this thing too?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

One, nothing wrong with me
Two, nothing wrong with me
Three, nothing wrong with me
Cough, nothing wrong with me

One, something's got to give
Two, something's got to give
Three,
Wait did somebody just turn up the heat in this room or is it just me

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think it's the disgusting dietary choices those unsanitary mustachioed freaks made that did this :shrug:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I looked up how many deaths Italy has for flu per year and found this:

“ In January this year, Italy reported that since flu season started in October 2019, over 2 million cases of flu were recorded, resulting in 240 deaths.”

More people than that died TODAY. A good statistic for the usual arseholes to be informed of.

I would love to know why a lot of conservatives seem desperate to say it’s a non issue and the fault of the media. I don’t understand why the correlation is so high. Just had my 60 year old Tory in laws round and they were convinced it was not bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

I looked up how many deaths Italy has for flu per year and found this:

“ In January this year, Italy reported that since flu season started in October 2019, over 2 million cases of flu were recorded, resulting in 240 deaths.”

More people than that died TODAY. A good statistic for the usual arseholes to be informed of.

I would love to know why a lot of conservatives seem desperate to say it’s a non issue and the fault of the media. I don’t understand why the correlation is so high. Just had my 60 year old Tory in laws round and they were convinced it was not bad at all.
It's to the point where I don't even share news like this anymore. I've been the canary. Now it's time for daddy to pick up some Clorox wipes as the rest of the world crumbles.