Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hadlock posted:

Things are gonna be especially grim for service industry

Someone pointed out today that people who mostly get paid in tips, don't report them, which is typically awesome because then you don't pay taxes on then

Down side is that your income isn't counted, so unemployment is gonna pay gently caress-all because to the feds, it looks like you made $400/mo for the last two years, you can expect a $200/mo unemployment check from that

Good luck paying even half your rent, let alone black market prices for toilet paper or food

Going to the store to buy ammo tomorrow

And that's assuming you even live in a state with relatively humane unemployment laws. And with so many people being unemployed all at once, unemployment application and processing will crawl to a halt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

just lmfao if you haven't transitioned from service industry to raiding by now

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

owlhawk911 posted:

just lmfao if you haven't transitioned from service industry to raiding by now

we need a App that locate the nearby cache of food, by geolocating all these photos people post

we just need to think a cool app name,... Raidin ?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Maraudr

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Nice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy balls the stock market is turbo hosed

And these pictures of people jammed together in airports this weekend

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

pnumoman posted:

Back of the house and delivery drivers should be okay so long as your shop has some sort of takeout/delivery option. Front of the house is straight hosed.

Good luck

We don’t have delivery set up, we’re looking at getting that going right loving quick so we can continue to exist. If all goes well, sometime next week, it’ll be me and my music that customers wouldn’t like and my robot captor telling me what tacos to make. No servers, probably me running the dish pit as well as doing all the cooking, but boss lady says she’s already got it set up so I make gnarly extra money over my hourly like usual. It doesn’t sound bad.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
Yup, i've lost so much money on the stock market :)

and that train aint stopping either

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Husband is at home for his internet job and will be for at least the rest of the week and I'm always at home with our toddler, so it's not a huge disruption for us. We live near many walking trails and I usually take the boy out for a walk once a day. I'm going to avoid the playground since schools are shut here, but it's safe to still go on walks, right? As long as we stay away from others.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zzulu posted:

Yup, i've lost so much money on the stock market :)

and that train aint stopping either

:getin:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JeremyKlemin/status/1239218272521859073/

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Looking forward to the new meme reality being millennials swapping bread recipes

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In France we get called irresponsible idiots by our gvt because people still take a walk in the park when it's nice outside, but also there's 0 control at the borders :confused:

At the same time every other country makes sure they don't let people who've been through france unchecked.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I'm going to avoid the playground since schools are shut here, but it's safe to still go on walks, right? As long as we stay away from others.

Yes, going outside is fine. If you’re in large crowds, it’s not, but if you’re taking your kids out for a walk, it’s fine.

With all my free time at home, I’ll still be going out and running as I rarely run into other people when I do.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

In France we get called irresponsible idiots by our gvt because people still take a walk in the park when it's nice outside, but also there's 0 control at the borders :confused:

At the same time every other country makes sure they don't let people who've been through france unchecked.

Yeah, I think any European country that wants to come out of lockdown needs to seriously consider what to do about borders. Especially if you have a neighboring country that is still in lockdown, people from there will immediately cross the border to come party in your newly opened nightlife.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Closing border doesn't do jack poo poo when the infection is in the country, at that point self isolation is the solution. I understand turning away tourist though, don't need people from other country stressing the local system for nothing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?fbclid=IwAR3ZhGcHl8dirmu47wusbdgeJJqGYlvyyxtNp6TaWDmFX_cUtdelsSUVGxk

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Bleusilences posted:

Closing border doesn't do jack poo poo when the infection is in the country, at that point self isolation is the solution. I understand turning away tourist though, don't need people from other country stressing the local system for nothing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?fbclid=IwAR3ZhGcHl8dirmu47wusbdgeJJqGYlvyyxtNp6TaWDmFX_cUtdelsSUVGxk

I'm talking about after that. If in 2-3 months from now a country in Europe is finally reset to 0 but its neighbors are not, reopening bars and restaurants will have infected idiots from neighboring lockdowned countries poring over the borders to come celebrate that the lockdown is over. Unless some form of border control is implemented.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

Things are gonna be especially grim for service industry

Someone pointed out today that people who mostly get paid in tips, don't report them, which is typically awesome because then you don't pay taxes on then

Down side is that your income isn't counted, so unemployment is gonna pay gently caress-all because to the feds, it looks like you made $400/mo for the last two years, you can expect a $200/mo unemployment check from that

Good luck paying even half your rent, let alone black market prices for toilet paper or food

Going to the store to buy ammo tomorrow

it should be declared that eviction/foreclosure is illegal during the crisis

schmug
May 20, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgylp3Td1Bw

:suspense:

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Griefor posted:

I'm talking about after that. If in 2-3 months from now a country in Europe is finally reset to 0 but its neighbors are not, reopening bars and restaurants will have infected idiots from neighboring lockdowned countries poring over the borders to come celebrate that the lockdown is over. Unless some form of border control is implemented.

To be honest I don't see the situation ending until they found and distribute a vaccine.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Just got a message to say my Doctor's Practice has closed for now. All appointments cancelled or turned into phone consultations. I'm in the UK and this is the first sign of things not being normal.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1239388318011441154

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

In Pittsburgh. Taking public transport for the last time today for 2-3 weeks or until my boss tells me to come back to work. The trolley is practically empty. I want to say goodbye to my favorite lunch joint but will probably not be so reckless.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Sneak Lemming posted:

Just got a message to say my Doctor's Practice has closed for now. All appointments cancelled or turned into phone consultations. I'm in the UK and this is the first sign of things not being normal.

is it though?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Goddamn, someone in a Facebook thread busted out "Well I think the toilet paper shortage is a fake shortage cooked up by the manufacturers, every time I've been to the supermarket the shoppers have been calm and sensible."
Yeah the tens of thousands of supermarkets across the globe and their hundreds of thousands of employees all agreed to go along with the conspiracy, as did the thousands of actors they employed to act out the "buying frenzies" in the hundreds and hundreds of videos that got posted online. Goddamn.

Your first mistake was being on Facebook.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

owlhawk911 posted:

is it though?

It's the first sign in my city that's for sure. We havn't had any panic buying of toilet paper, everywhere is still open, I was on campus and its still full of people, city center is also full of people, same with the cafe I'm in. There is no noticable difference yet

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I'm going back to Reddit where sheeple is used in earnest.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

sheep are cowardly creatures and would definitely be self-isolating instead of buying tp

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

When are the riots and looting? Need some new speakers, I'm tired of waiting!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

Ă°ÂŸÂ‘Â½

Nice

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Fenarisk posted:

When are the riots and looting? Need some new speakers, I'm tired of waiting!

forget about speakers- who has TP in stock?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

poverty goat posted:

sheep are cowardly creatures and would definitely be self-isolating instead of buying tp

i wonder how an ostrich would fare? with his head in the sand perhaps it is protected from infection

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Huh

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

lol Norway with the lowkey burn

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

quote:

A LETTER FROM LUCIEN GREAVES

Dear TST members and supporters,

The COVID-19 pandemic is certain to impact all of us individually as well as necessitating short-term operational adjustments within The Satanic Temple. There is a difference between “Don’t Panic” and “Carry On As Usual,” and unfortunately, for many, that distinction seems to have been unclear to a large number of people in the early days of this outbreak when we could have better mitigated the infection to help reduce the overburden soon to be placed on our hospitals and healthcare services. While it is important to not panic, we must also recognize that this pandemic is real, and we must adjust our behavior accordingly with respect to the health and safety of the world-at-large.

WHAT WE ARE DOING NOW

Effective immediately, there will be no in-person social gatherings of The Satanic Temple, either at our headquarters in Salem, or at our local chapters. We each have a duty to do our best to not be infected and, if infected, a duty to do our best to not infect others. As Satanists striving to do our best to “act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason” none of us, regardless of how young and healthy, can be comforted by COVID-19’s statistical tendency to be a fatality risk “only to the old and immuno-compromised.” Many of us may feel secure in our personal odds, but our own infections, followed by a failure to isolate, pose a fatality risk to others. We must work to practice social distancing now and keep ourselves as healthy as we can for as long as we can while healthcare desperately attempts to keep up.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM TST IN THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE

Soon -- and very soon, I suspect -- the choice to isolate will be made for us. Until there is a vaccine, mandated lockdowns are going to be necessary to manage the infection’s exponential spread. For many of us, this social isolation will not be easy. For that reason, we (The Satanic Temple) have begun working on ideas for keeping our community better networked online for the duration of this pandemic. Ideas are in the nascent phases, but we are considering a central online schedule of open video chats that can include basic topic themes, trivia, emotional support, general chats, and “bar nights” (video chatting with the intention of drinking). The open discussions can be whatever we want them to be, but they should all be respectful and supportive. Let us put politics and outrage aside for the time being and try to relate to one another each as individuals all going through a difficult global crisis. It is our insistence that this ethic prevails in the forthcoming all-members’ TST video chats, but it is our hope that we will carry this ethic into our daily social media usage, even as conspiracy theories, ignorance, and outright malice, propagate at a rate matching the alarming growth of coronavirus infection.

IN CONCLUSION

Please keep updated on our social media and on our website as we begin to cohere our ideas for better online membership video networking. In the meantime, we will be staying in and working on loads of new content for TST TV to keep you informed and entertained as the drudgery of lockdown drags on.

For those upset and saddened at this unexpected turn of events, I promise you, at the end of this there is a massive Satanic celebration to be had, and we will come through this stronger, and more deeply committed, as a community and global Satanic family.

Love,

Lucien Greaves

Don't forget that Satan is always there for you in these dark times of crisis.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sneak Lemming posted:

It's the first sign in my city that's for sure. We havn't had any panic buying of toilet paper, everywhere is still open, I was on campus and its still full of people, city center is also full of people, same with the cafe I'm in. There is no noticable difference yet

I'm noticing a difference now (I'm in Scotland). I needed supplies for my animals yesterday (standard ones, not panicked ones) and walked through a local entertainment complex as a shortcut and still jam packed with kids birthday parties and bowlers. Real weird vibe.

But one local uni has stopped face to face teaching, some stores are shutting down, a local bar lead the charge on shutting for three months (which I think might be excessive and I really worry for the staff, but at least its action) and I've seen a lot of empty shelves.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

precision posted:

And that's assuming you even live in a state with relatively humane unemployment laws. And with so many people being unemployed all at once, unemployment application and processing will crawl to a halt.

Norway, in addition to universal health care and regular unemployment benefits and social aid will do the following in an emergency response to the economic fallout from the COVID-19 panemic:

• Those on temporary leave (not sick pay) get 20 days of full salary from the government.

• Low income get 80% compensated even after this period.

• Apprentices and interns get compensated in full.

• Childcare at home benefits will be expanded (20 days per parent).

• Self employed/small businesses get 80% of their avg. income compensated up to 6G (around 70 000 USD).

• Widespread tax relief for small businesses including a substantial VAT refund. Employer Tax and VAT is postponed.

• Goverment fund of 100 Bn kroner guaranteed loans to businesses who need them based on potential future profitability. More to come specifically tailored for businesses on Thursday.

• More is promised as needed as this unfolds.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

poverty goat posted:

Hail Satan I guess

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

poverty goat posted:

I was about to say ‘is that a fake name’ until I read to the point where the Satanic Temple was mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

poverty goat posted:

The Hail Satan documentary about those guys is well worth a watch