Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Much like TLJ, if you ignore the story, the visuals are very pretty - I wonder how the score-only viewing would feel once you finished it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

mastershakeman posted:

its still probably the high point, i dont know what the gently caress else was

Learning that Palpatine hosed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vinylshadow posted:

Much like TLJ, if you ignore the story, the visuals are very pretty - I wonder how the score-only viewing would feel once you finished it

You'd end up more disappointed in the score than you were before.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Taear posted:

Lor San Tekka
Fun fact: the Complete Visual Dictionary to The Force Awakens says "known to few, Lor San Tekka is a title bestowed by the mystics of the Ah'braami, signifying Tale Lacking Destination"

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Vinylshadow posted:

I don't know that I'd call either of these shots especially pretty, but Kylo's flaming sword is one of the better ST designs.

Has anyone talked about what a weird went-no-where choice it was to turn Anakin's lightsaber into Excalibur yet

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Uatu The Lurker posted:

I don't know that I'd call either of these shots especially pretty, but Kylo's flaming sword is one of the better ST designs.

Has anyone talked about what a weird went-no-where choice it was to turn Anakin's lightsaber into Excalibur yet

I like the contrast between the reds, blues, and greys

No idea why the Skywalker Saber is so special, especially since Anakin's lost so many he's taken to carrying around multiples with him wherever he went, so I'm sure if you walked up to a merchant and asked to see their weapon selection, they'd have a few dozen sabers in stock

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Uatu The Lurker posted:

We talked about it a ton thousands of posts ago. We mostly agreed it's part of the cargo cult method these movies were made with where they used important things from the originals without understanding anything about how context is what made those things important, not the other way around. One can see the exact same thing in Abrams Star Trek movies, where he inserts objects, names, and events from classic Trek in completely non-sensical ways.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Force Awakens is a continuation of the parts of Star Wars that are understood by those who see films only as commodities and brands. Its sequels are constrained to remain within the limits circumscribed by their vision.

Even this isn't sufficient to explain what made The Rise of Skywalker so lousy, however.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Uatu The Lurker posted:

poo poo, Zack Snyder should have done the Sequel Trilogy. Motherfucker loves Exaclibur.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I think a big part of what hosed up The Rise of Skywalker is the negative reaction to TLJ. While there was talk of it being the opinion of a minority and the work of Russian bots, it's clear that they felt the negativity was real and they needed to fix things.

Of course by trying to "fix" things, they made people who loved TLJ mad and people who hated it still thought tRoS was shithouse anyway.

If you try to please everyone, you please nobody. This is what happens when cowards start making decisions.

And the entire ST has a sheen of fear over it. All that marketing for Force Awakens that was "look, practical aliens! Practical sets! We're shooting on physical film!" reeked of fear and trying to tell everyone they weren't the prequels. Spend all that time telling people what the movies aren't and they spent no time saying what they are, apart from broad strokes memberberries.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

garycoleisgod posted:

And the entire ST has a sheen of fear over it. All that marketing for Force Awakens that was "look, practical aliens! Practical sets! We're shooting on physical film!" reeked of fear and trying to tell everyone they weren't the prequels. Spend all that time telling people what the movies aren't and they spent no time saying what they are, apart from broad strokes memberberries.

Well, once a movie is something, that means it's no longer capable of being everything, which reduces the size of the audience.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I hope the protagonist in the sequel sequel trilogy has a Buster Lightsaber

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It's not just Rise that was hacked up by Disney executive committee, all the new films have been.

The blame on Abrams (or whoever) is misplaced

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

How did I just notice that noted car guy george lucas named a planet camino

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ultimately it's Disney's fault, but I do think Abrams is the right kind of filmmaker for the mess they wanted to make. I try to stay away from psychoanalyzing artists, and in particular, I don't want to jump on the bandwagon of making too much out of his "mystery box" speech. But gently caress it.

Abrams seems to labor under that old maxim that all storytelling is just lying. He seems to think that the audience is paying to have their emotions manipulated while the movie is running, and everything is in service to that. So while it's impressive to master the techniques of storytelling, why bother, when you can just have someone run onto the screen yelling about something, and accomplish the same thing?

I will say that on its own terms, TROS is a masterful conclusion to the long running film series that began with The Star Wars Holiday Special and hasn't received an installment since Masters of the Universe.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

How did I just notice that noted car guy george lucas named a planet camino

I had that exact same realization over the weekend.

Anyone watching Clone Wars? I've been waiting until it's finished to binge the final season, but I think I might just watch what's available now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone watching Clone Wars? I've been waiting until it's finished to binge the final season, but I think I might just watch what's available now.

Didn't Clone Wars finish like 5 or 6 years ago?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Binging the arcs in their entirety once they're done airing is a good call rather than watching them week-to-week, since they're pretty weak on their own

Seeya in a month for Ahsoka's Walkabout, and another month after that for Siege of Mandalore

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

multijoe posted:

New season on Disney+.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Blood Boils posted:

It's not just Rise that was hacked up by Disney executive committee, all the new films have been.

Honestly, I don't know how making one of these movies isn't the most frustrating loving things in the world.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Ultimately it's Disney's fault, but I do think Abrams is the right kind of filmmaker for the mess they wanted to make. I try to stay away from psychoanalyzing artists, and in particular, I don't want to jump on the bandwagon of making too much out of his "mystery box" speech. But gently caress it.

Abrams seems to labor under that old maxim that all storytelling is just lying. He seems to think that the audience is paying to have their emotions manipulated while the movie is running, and everything is in service to that. So while it's impressive to master the techniques of storytelling, why bother, when you can just have someone run onto the screen yelling about something, and accomplish the same thing?

I will say that on its own terms, TROS is a masterful conclusion to the long running film series that began with The Star Wars Holiday Special and hasn't received an installment since Masters of the Universe.

The ultimate message of Abrams' Star Wars is that you shouldn't feel guilty for having a wealthy and powerful family

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

multijoe posted:

They're doing a final season which is looking to end right where Episode III began. I haven't seen it yet, but based on the trailer, it looks like it'll with (Spoiling the two Clone Wars specific things Rex and his platoon ripping out their Order 66 brain chips, Ahsoka returning in some capacity, and Anakin and Padme hiding their pregnancy.

I do wonder if it'll end with Palpatine getting abducted by Grevious and Dooku. That's how the original 2D Clone Wars cartoon ended.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

garycoleisgod posted:

I think a big part of what hosed up The Rise of Skywalker is the negative reaction to TLJ.

Pretty sure TLJ had the exact same CinemaScore as TFA.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

They're doing a final season which is looking to end right where Episode III began. I haven't seen it yet, but based on the trailer, it looks like it'll with (Spoiling the two Clone Wars specific things Rex and his platoon ripping out their Order 66 brain chips, Ahsoka returning in some capacity, and Anakin and Padme hiding their pregnancy.

I do wonder if it'll end with Palpatine getting abducted by Grevious and Dooku. That's how the original 2D Clone Wars cartoon ended.

First episode of Siege involves Anakin and Obi-Wan deciding whether to help Ahsoka with Maul or save the Chancellor

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Timby posted:

Yeah lmao actual people overwhelmingly like TLJ just fine and the "backlash" against it is literally all maladjusted nerds who ruined their brains with Le Epic Sarcastic Youtube Rants Guy poo poo

In contrast, every not terminally online person I've talked to about TROS has either said it was mediocre or really hated it!!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Timby posted:

Yeah TFA and TLJ both got A, ROS got B+.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

That said I actually do agree that the "poor reception" of TLJ was a major factor in why TROS turned out as awful as it did, but it's apparent that what happened was disney's market research department mistook noisy hypersensitive comments section reactionaries for the general public and lol oopsie woopsie fucky wucky

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
lol that you're still trying to spin that narrative lmao

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tlj is not very good

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1240445516657246208

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

lol that you're still trying to spin that narrative lmao
Sorry your right it was Putins Trolls and/or A.N.T.I.F.A.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Disney producing a bad movie doesn't really require an extensive explanation.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

"The new star wars movies were an exercise in poorly informed cynical pandering and they ended up pandering to unrepresentative internet weirdos specifically" isn't extensive imo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blood Boils posted:

Sure, but if he had actually stuck to any kind of overall plotting for the loving trilogy that wouldn't have been such of a mess. A bunch of poo poo in TFA is just mystery winks to imply storytelling. Why is 3PO's arm red? Who the gently caress are the First Order? Why is Luke in seclusion?

He literally just handed that off without even a halfassed plan so the next guy went "poo poo. Ok lets make some stories" and instead of Luke self-exiling because of fear or shame at letting his students fall, it's "saw a force vision and tried to murk a kid" or "no one gives a poo poo about the rebellion except for the profiteers".

(No knock against TLJ. I liked that poo poo)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Pretty good posted:

"The new star wars movies were an exercise in poorly informed cynical pandering and they ended up pandering to unrepresentative internet weirdos specifically" isn't extensive imo

They're the opposite of that really. If they actually been pandering to "Star Wars Fans", as in the community of obsessive people who gobble up everything the franchise has put out since the original, It would be a byzantine labyrinth of continuity and characters from books only Star Wars nerds read. Instead they pandering to the imagined "Brain Dead Consumer" that Hollywood demands every film be designed for who half remembers watching the OT once on cable 20 years ago. That's why they consist almost entirely of the parts of Star Wars one could know about through pop-culture osmosis without ever actually having seen the films.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

garycoleisgod posted:

I think a big part of what hosed up The Rise of Skywalker is the negative reaction to TLJ. While there was talk of it being the opinion of a minority and the work of Russian bots, it's clear that they felt the negativity was real and they needed to fix things.

The reason TLJ got a negative reaction is because it was a bad movie. There's no need to make up excuses about loud minority opinions or russian bots, the proof is in the pudding.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
disney, the largest entertainment corporation in the world, spending thousands if not millions of dollars on market and demographic research: hmm, it appears that we should deliberately appeal to the 500 angry alt-right people on twitter as opposed to everyone else who likes our film

like disney is stupid but they're not that stupid

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Horizon Burning posted:

disney, the largest entertainment corporation in the world, spending thousands if not millions of dollars on market and demographic research: hmm, it appears that we should deliberately appeal to the 500 angry alt-right people on twitter as opposed to everyone else who likes our film

like disney is stupid but they're not that stupid

You'd at least hope they'd look at the angry reactions to certain aspects and then not triple down on them

"Give Finn something to do!"
"Alright, he'll yell whoo at explosions and yell for Rey a lot. Also we're adding a female clone of him."

"Give Poe something to do!"
"Alright, he'll argue with Rey and kinda stare into the middle distance a lot."

"Give Rey and Kylo literally anything!"
"They kiss and he dies."

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

McCloud posted:

The reason TLJ got a negative reaction is because it was a bad movie. There's no need to make up excuses about loud minority opinions or russian bots, the proof is in the pudding.

I think TLJ is bad, don't worry about that. Russian bots and minority opinions were the things people said to pretend the negativity didn't exist.

I was just trying to come up with a reason why Disney/Lucasfilm would gently caress up the the next film by trying to fix problems despite saying there weren't any problems with TLJ and the people saying there were didn't exist.

But while I think TLJ is bad, it's better than TFA. Haven't seen tRoS because lol, sometimes you don't need to taste the poo poo to know it's poo poo.

The bad idea was making sequels in the first place. Creatively that is, I'm sure they're fine financially. Especially as the story was "Rebels didn't actually win in the OT. Fights still going!" The PT got a negative reaction, but it didn't undo the OT. Vader still turned face and the empire was defeated...until the ST which did undo the OT because nothing that happened there really matters anymore.

This is what happens when you "and then..." a completed story.

Timby posted:

Well, personally I think TFA was poo poo and TLJ is slightly better, so :shrug:. Also, Cinemascore is next to worthless. Horror movies nearly always get poo poo grades because it doesn't measure how good a film is, but how satisfied the audience is. Horror movies deny this satisfaction so they get hit, blockbusters are "watchable" most of the time, so they get graded higher than they should.

https://www.cinemascore.com/about-us/

quote:

We provide unbiased measurement of audience response that helps gauge movie appeal and success by polling movie audiences on opening night for their reaction to the latest major movie releases.

Opening night movies with a fandom are less likely to talk poo poo about a movie, you know? Opening night Star Wars fans aren't representative of the normal consumer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The idea of the story being completed and therefore it shouldn't have a sequel doesn't sit right with me. It suggests that only stories that are in some way "incomplete" can be followed up on, an invitation to indulge in noncommital foreshadowing for the full duration of the film.

And we're talking about Star Wars of all things, a franchise famous for aesthetics which suggest to the viewer that there are further stories waiting to be discovered in the background of the setting. Basically, I don't think that it is impossible to continue to publish new, good, timely stories that are Based On Characters Created By George Lucas. What may be impossible is for the Walt Disney Corporation to finance them, however.