Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gently caress you and gently caress your piece of poo poo racist jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

aphid_licker posted:

If influenza is a flu logically corona should be a ron

I've been seeing "Rona" around, which I thought was pretty good.
https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/fjmzqx/not_the_hero_we_deserve_but_the_one_we_need/

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Yes, a joke where you combine the word "flu" with the words "kung fu", which has absolutely nothing to do with China, is less racist than calling it "the Chinese flu"

Sure
It's definitely racist, but the people I've seen using it aren't alt-right people who are trying to be racist, they're just people who are insensitive about that kind of thing. It was originally intended as, and has generally been used as, a joke, not in order to promote racism or xenophobia. It was an insensitive joke to begin with and I think continuing to make that joke at this stage is distinctly unhelpful, but that was the original intent. On the other hand, the people who are insistent on referring to it as "Chinese Flu" or any other similar term are doing so in order to intentionally maintain that association. People were generally referring to it as coronavirus almost exclusively when talking about it in a serious context, but as it spread outside of China you started to see certain people begin to refer to it exclusively by terms containing the word China, or Chinese. The people who are genuinely racist are very insistent on using terms that continue to associate it to China, regardless of whether the context is serious or not.

So, yes, while both are racist, I absolutely would say that someone deliberately trying to maintain the association of the virus with Chinese people in serious contexts is much more likely to be racially motivated than someone who makes a somewhat racist pun about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

I've seen Roni, which would be racist against Italians and San Franciscans.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Meanwhile I've felt old since I was in my late teens

I vividly remember being nostalgic for kindergarten in second grade

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1239936925403885573

In the grand scheme of bad, it's middlin', but 'kung flu' still not a good look.

Boomer flu or boomer remover is pretty good. Or just Corona. Because not everything in the world needs a cutesy nickname.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
poo poo. I just realized something.

In kindergarten and first grade you get to pick and choose what you want to do, there's breaks, and the people in charge are nice and caring.

Once in second grade you have to sit in neat rows, shut up and listen to the person in the front of the room, no matter what comes out of their mouth, work all day long, and any time you walked out, you had to line up neatly with everyone else and wait for the command to move.

I hated it more than anything else I'd ever been through in my life.

And now I realize that I missed the most important thing second grade had to teach me.

But, no, I'm dumber than a seven year old, so I joined the military.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ceiling fan posted:

poo poo. I just realized something.

In kindergarten and first grade you get to pick and choose what you want to do, there's breaks, and the people in charge are nice and caring.

Once in second grade you have to sit in neat rows, shut up and listen to the person in the front of the room, no matter what comes out of their mouth, work all day long, and any time you walked out, you had to line up neatly with everyone else and wait for the command to move.

I hated it more than anything else I'd ever been through in my life.

And now I realize that I missed the most important thing second grade had to teach me.

But, no, I'm dumber than a seven year old, so I joined the military.

lol first grade was like that in my school

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Stop defending your garbage racist joke you absolute idiot

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

shovelbum posted:

lol first grade was like that in my school

Same

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Stop defending your garbage racist joke you absolute idiot

It's not mine, I've never made it and am not advocating its usage. I'm saying that it's not the method that is being used to promote the spike in anti-asian racism that we are currently seeing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I guess it's time for the reminder that the Idiots Thread is for posting ABOUT idiots.

As far as the term "kung flu" goes, President Trump just defended his use of the term so I think we can very clearly and definitively categorize it under "racist; do no use"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

cock hero flux posted:

It's not mine, I've never made it and am not advocating its usage. I'm saying that it's not the method that is being used to promote the spike in anti-asian racism that we are currently seeing.

It's still racist and your defending it for being less racist. People are racist along many different vectors and scales.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Love to see that dril tweet happen

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

aphid_licker posted:

It's gonna be a fight to have isolation measures persist into the summer. Everyone's gonna have grown bored with it and want to hang out in the sun and have barbecues etc. Even having heard of gramps dying sans ventilator in the hallway of / tent outside a hospital in April / May probably won't prevent that.

It’s a fight to have isolation measures now. I know way too many idiots in emergency services that think there’s no epidemic. I mean, way too many is like 4, but any is way too many.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I think it's ok to be a little racist. I mean just make sure you're not being too racist, but just a little bit is probably ok. It's important to know where to draw the line, but I think it's somewhere between not being racist and being very racist.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I think it's ok to be a little racist. I mean just make sure you're not being too racist, but just a little bit is probably ok. It's important to know where to draw the line, but I think it's somewhere between not being racist and being very racist.

This, but unironically so I can still talk about "karens" and "kill whitey". Also my completely self-aware racist belief that all Kiwis are racist.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

aphid_licker posted:

If influenza is a flu logically corona should be a ron

Ron Swansong

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

joat mon posted:

I've seen Roni, which would be racist against Italians and San Franciscans.

Bags of rice sitting lonesome on the shelf

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Milo and POTUS posted:

Bags of rice sitting lonesome on the shelf

Rice-alone-i

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

A poster can be a little racist. As a treat.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
What the gently caress is going on in this thread?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Booger Presley posted:

What the gently caress is going on in this thread?

Everybody was named flu fighting

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

canyoneer posted:

:perfect:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

canyoneer posted:

:golfclap:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

canyoneer posted:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Those sixers were fast as lightning

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Also, excellent post/av combo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

This is a very good joke.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Brady Sluder?

Isn't he the starting pitcher from Fighting Baseball?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
As an asiatic person I find kung flu hilarious but because now Nazis are having fun using it, it should be verboten, so shut up shim

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Alternatively: keep the quip, liquidate the nazis.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Guest2553 posted:

Alternatively: keep the quip, liquidate the nazis.

Give the Hindus and Buddhists the swastika back too

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

canyoneer posted:

:hai:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

McNally posted:

As far as the term "kung flu" goes, President Trump just defended his use of the term so I think we can very clearly and definitively categorize it under "racist; do no use"

Hey, I know when to admit I’m wrong, and being on the same side as Trump on something potentially racial is horrible. I hadn’t seen it used anywhere else, as I live in a media bubble, and I stand completely corrected.

My bad, folks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Hey, I know when to admit I’m wrong, and being on the same side as Trump on something potentially racial is horrible. I hadn’t seen it used anywhere else, as I live in a media bubble, and I stand completely corrected.

My bad, folks.

Too late. You must be immolated. Sorry bro.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Quote!=Edit

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

canyoneer posted:

Give the Hindus and Buddhists the swastika back too

And our Army reserve units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Winnie The Flu however is an expression of solidarity with the opressed Chinese people