Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Katamari Democracy posted:

Can I join this group as moral support?

The admin is the one who was calling chinese people that rush limbaugh poo poo earlier, but it's public so you can see it without joining :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The admin is the one who was calling chinese people that rush limbaugh poo poo earlier, but it's public so you can see it without joining :)

Oh then nevermind. Also I bought you platinum. Seen you post and saw you were the only one kinda near me without one. Stay in touch.

E- Wait I did this wrong. I got you a code for one. Let me ask a mod for help to get you plat

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 20, 2020

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Does anyone have a good resource for cool or cute things to draw on face masks like you see sometimes cat faces and whatnot? Supposedly there are some filters in the mail, coming for my weird capybara masks. But I have a box of surgical masks so I was wondering about ideas, other than pemises.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

i just got an email from our energy provider and i think the virus has begun infecting the power lines??? i was under the impression we at least had a week to prepare for digital virus transmission...

tuna is not taking this lightly, and has ordered emergency court with her most trusted royal subjects.

from left to right; oliver, ceo of all supply chains. charles (the shark), duke of snacks. dick the duck, prince of looking cute. Tuna, devestator, life bringer. susan, president of the military. huxtable, water.

I'm actually curious as to what this is going to do for infrastructure in the northeast. Indian Point is due to be decomissioned soon and this is absolutely putting the places that were intended to replace it behind schedule. Some are almost done but not quite there. Will it lead to disruption? Strongly doubt it. Will it be "AHHHHHHHHHHH gently caress" mode at Con Ed and NYPA for a while? I wouldn't be shocked.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Katamari Democracy posted:

Oh then nevermind. Also I bought you platinum. Seen you post and saw you were the only one kinda near me without one. Stay in touch.

E- Wait I did this wrong. I got you a code for one. Let me ask a mod for help to get you plat

Gosh, thank you. You absolutely don't have to do that. But yeah. I know there's a few of us over this ways and :love: you stay in touch, too. poo poo's gonna get bad here soon. We just topped 13k cases in the US.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Gosh, thank you. You absolutely don't have to do that. But yeah. I know there's a few of us over this ways and :love: you stay in touch, too. poo poo's gonna get bad here soon. We just topped 13k cases in the US.

Its sad but I am living the goon life so I am good with social distancing. Plus I game and college so being at home with some good tunes with those is heaven for me.

I'll get you the plat asap.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It could very much be something else completely, but it really feels like this thing is super contagious and tons of people get it, but most don't even realize it.

This is definitely happening to some extant, but we don't really know how much. We can hope that it's a lot, and thus that the death rates will be a lot lower than feared.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Got my house guests to the airport, I'm going to self quarantine for 2 weeks and... continue not having a job.

My housemate just dropped that he's thinking about going home since he doesn't have a confirmed job any more. Originally I figured I could probably survive for about 6 months on savings and the amount of random food in my pantry/deep freezer but if I need to double my rent I'm probably fuucked before work starts up again. gently caress gently caress fuuuck!

On the plus side this could be an amazing poverty summer. Fishing, hiking, biking and camping are all pretty much free and can be done alone. Cool.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm actually curious as to what this is going to do for infrastructure in the northeast. Indian Point is due to be decomissioned soon and this is absolutely putting the places that were intended to replace it behind schedule. Some are almost done but not quite there. Will it lead to disruption? Strongly doubt it. Will it be "AHHHHHHHHHHH gently caress" mode at Con Ed and NYPA for a while? I wouldn't be shocked.

Industrial load will probably drop significantly. All the manufacturing of non essential products might slow down, looking at the list of what was stopped in PA. The loss of industrial load should be greater than the increase in residential load by a margin. Large commercial load may drop as well. The US also maintains a spinning reserve, and while not ideal, could utilize some of that. There are also areas that have older plants in non spinning reserve that they can fire up as well.

Anything nuclear that was going to be phased out is unlikely to be extended if it requires an outage to refuel. If it is a reactor that can fuel at power, then it is easier to keep online. Most reactors require outages that require numerous travelers. There is a whole cottage industry based around power plant outages. So, if this lasts 12 months then there could be problems with losing that capacity.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
There has to be a rent freeze soon or a third of the country goes homeless

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Professorjuggalo posted:

i think there is a eviction/foreclosure freeze in the bill they are passing according to twitter, but i have looked much into it

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

DuckConference posted:

This is definitely happening to some extant, but we don't really know how much. We can hope that it's a lot, and thus that the death rates will be a lot lower than feared.

Yes. On one hand I'm still worried for my father who's very weak right now and already had a pneumonia 2 months ago, but it also comforts me that the lock down and the "flattening the curve" strategy is a good approach as this really has the potential to infect more than half of the population in a matter of weeks if left unchecked and this can be really bad for hospitals.

So nothing really new but also it's nice that authorities seemed to have made informed choices here.

I just hope other countries open their eyes to all these signs and data and act accordingly.

This could be a great revealing crisis regarding how organized and united populations are.

Be safe fellow goons and be responsible and think about the big picture. It sucks tremendously for a lot of people and for the economy but there's light at the end of the tunnel. It is absolutely not a time to be selfish and cynical because your actions will have consequences on your immediate environment.

Take care

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ISIS released a travel restriction. Jihadists are advised not to go to work during the pandemic. https://nypost.com/2020/03/15/isis-tells-its-terrorists-not-to-travel-to-europe-for-jihad-because-coronavirus/

lol that ISIS cares more about it's people than a lot of employers.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Professorjuggalo posted:

My modest proposal: if you are living (right now on March 19th) in a house, apartment, or condo that is not owned by anyone living in-unit, the people living in-unit own it now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mnoba posted:

i think there is a eviction/foreclosure freeze in the bill they are passing according to twitter, but i have looked much into it

That's for FHA loans and the like only, so basically, most renters are still hosed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mnoba posted:

There is not anything even related to that in the ball.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
ahh well that sucks

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Chomp8645 posted:

My modest proposal: if you are living (right now on March 19th) in a house, apartment, or condo that is not owned by anyone living in-unit, the people living in-unit own it now.

Seconded

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

QuarkJets posted:

You're misunderstanding the messaging; normal untrained people shouldn't use masks because they don't know how to use the masks effectively, rendering them basically useless. The number of people wearing a mask on their chin or reaching up under their mask to scratch their nose is high because it takes a level of effort and training that they have not received. It's not dangerous to tell those people to stop bothering and save masks for the professionals with greater need and actual ppe training, nor is it inconsistent (your original, erroneous complaint)

If you want to prevent infecting others just wearing a simple surgical mask will have some effect and is what should be encouraged for the wider population, not n95 masks

What if I have respirator/ (dust mask certs lol) and radworker training, I guess I could, I'd have to shave, which no one is mentioning, yeah not touching your face is super hard.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Anygoon want to setup a Covid Support Discord thingamajig? Might be helpful for anxious/isolated folks to talk/chat.

I've only used it once forever ago so I'm probably not the one to do it.

naem
May 29, 2011

pahuyuth posted:

Anygoon want to setup a Covid Support Discord thingamajig? Might be helpful for anxious/isolated folks to talk/chat.

that’s pretty much why this thread is

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

pahuyuth posted:

What about finally having a chat thread in GBS? Just whatever the hell chat

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hellworld chat

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

pahuyuth posted:

I'd be up for it and would appreciate it. Getting a little worried here in SLC

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

This isn't new news but super weird that all these athletes and coaches who have tested positive have literally zero symptoms or issues but were able to be tested!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

LA has reportedly locked down

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tim Whatley posted:

This isn't new news but super weird that all these athletes and coaches who have tested positive have literally zero symptoms or issues but were able to be tested!

People like that travel a lot more than most people, so it does make a little sense.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

pahuyuth posted:

I'm down for CovidChat

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

LA has reportedly locked down

its a shelter-in-place order similar to sf (except its being called "safer at home") and it goes into effect at midnight tonight. grocery shopping, healthcare, and outdoor activities are still ok

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

naem posted:

that’s pretty much why this thread is

I get that but i think some folks might be a bit more anxious and could benefit from some more personal interaction especially with people in their area.

The person that bought plat for another GA goon gave me the idea. Users without platinum might benefit the most. I've talked to a couple folks over PM. Anyway just an idea.

Also I think Burt mentioned discussions about a subforum. Any movement on that?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

pahuyuth posted:

Also I think Burt mentioned discussions about a subforum. Any movement on that?

It quickly turned into a "No" from QCS. Mainly because the thread here in GBS speaks the same language as posters in GBS. Posting in other forums might be frowned upon and if you do not know the funny jokes or what is allowed then lurk more.

Many subforums talk about this virus in different ways from sports to games and to other things. I think the mods decided to let it be what it is right now.

Read more here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917310

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

They’re getting tested by private labs who like money. Quest Diagnostics is not doing this poo poo for free.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

https://ktla.com/news/coronavirus/l-a-mayor-garcetti-expected-to-update-public-health-orders-in-response-to-covid-19/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I said come in! posted:

Once the numbers do start to drop, it is still extremely important that people self isolate until a vaccine is readily available. If we relax on this then the virus will come back even harder than before. People need to understand that we are looking at 18 months of self isolation, or until a vaccine is ready. We are at risk of up to 90 million people dying before this is over if we do not do this.

Probably not going to do it though. Turning off the economy for 2 years is incomprehensible.

Cheaper to put all the highest risk people in isolation, and tell everyone else to go back to work and take their chances. It's not just money either: If we keep the schools and universities closed for years that means no new doctors, nurses, technicians, etc., during that time. Having kids running wild in the streets all day probably isn't much safer than having them all in school in the long run. Blue collar jobs in construction and manufacturing can't be done from home, and can't all just be paused for more than a few weeks without exacerbating shortages.

We could permanently shut down things like movie theaters, gamestops, and amusement parks, I suppose. Those workers can all shift into ever expanding amazon warehouses.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Once the numbers do start to drop, it is still extremely important that people self isolate until a vaccine is readily available. If we relax on this then the virus will come back even harder than before. People need to understand that we are looking at 18 months of self isolation, or until a vaccine is ready. We are at risk of up to 90 million people dying before this is over if we do not do this.

The numbers won't necessarily come back stronger than ever depending on when measures are relaxed. If it's at the bottom of a successful suppression curve it likely won't kick back off to the full grade of initial curve right away, and there are different options at that point assuming we have ubiquitious, 100% testing infrastructure set up basically everywhere by that point...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws.

quote:

L.A. County, city officials announce ‘safer at home’ order requiring people to stay home, most businesses to close
Coronavirus

by: Sareen Habeshian
Posted: Mar 19, 2020 / 05:20 PM PDT / Updated: Mar 19, 2020 / 07:19 PM PDT

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and other city and county officials on Thursday announced the “safer at home” public order in response to COVID-19, requiring more than 10 million people to stay at home and most businesses to close.

The order will go into effect in L.A. County — the nation’s most populous county — at midnight. It is tentatively set to last until April 19, according to the city of L.A.’s website.

All businesses that require workers to be present must stop operations by 11:59 p.m. Friday, Garcetti said during a news conference. Businesses that provide “essential services” are exempt.

Minutes after the announcement, Gov. Gavin Newsom instated a similar measure for all of California, saying people should stay at home as much as possible.

Mayor Garcetti said that “today is a day that will be seared into the story and the streets” of the city and will be a “moment when everything changed.”

The only time people should leave their home is for essential activities like getting food or taking care of a loved one, according to the mayor.

“This is not a shelter-in-place. It’s a ‘stay at home’,” Garcetti said.

He emphasized that this is a health emergency and nobody is on lockdown.

Although “safer at home” is a legally enforceable order and violation is a misdemeanor, the mayor said during the news conference that he didn’t expect people would be arrested.

“We know that social distancing does not mean restriction from going outside and does not mean isolation,” Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger said at the announcement.

She said people should refrain from gathering in a closed space with more than 10 people.

We just declared the "Safer at Home" Public Health Order, which emphasizes the importance of social distancing. This doesn’t mean being alone—you are still an important part of your community. #COVID19 pic.twitter.com/EMdKYioQ55
— Supervisor Kathryn Barger (@kathrynbarger) March 20, 2020

The briefing came after Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday that half of Californians could get infected with coronavirus over the next eight weeks. The governor asked Congress for $1 billion to support the state’s medical response against the virus.

A second person died in L.A. County Thursday, and an additional 40 cases were reported, bringing the total to 230 patients.

Throughout the state, there are 1,001, confirmed cases of COVID-19, with 19 deaths.

The latest figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as of noon Thursday show that there are 10,442 diagnosed cases in the U.S., with 150 deaths.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Somewhat tangential, being familiar with some of the more rural areas east of Columbus, I would not be surprised to see people getting lynched and shot in public soon. Especially if an "outsider" shows up in Harris county to buy toilet paper.

This is the county where the Sheriff put up signs boasting about how politically incorrect they are and how many citizens have concealed weapons so dont get out of line because they only have one jail but 360 cemeteries. Enjoy your stay and if you dont like it, leave!

I've lived all over the country and spent the first half of this year in Marion county before moving across the state in August. I swear it was by far the most bumblefuck sketchy patch of sand I've ever experienced. Seemingly everyone carries and the constant explosions coming from Benning did a number on my sense of calm.

The Strangest Finch fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 20, 2020

naem
May 29, 2011

should prob get a gol dang vaccine already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Outrail posted:

Got my house guests to the airport, I'm going to self quarantine for 2 weeks and... continue not having a job.

My housemate just dropped that he's thinking about going home since he doesn't have a confirmed job any more. Originally I figured I could probably survive for about 6 months on savings and the amount of random food in my pantry/deep freezer but if I need to double my rent I'm probably fuucked before work starts up again. gently caress gently caress fuuuck!

On the plus side this could be an amazing poverty summer. Fishing, hiking, biking and camping are all pretty much free and can be done alone. Cool.

Get to walmart before the preppers buy up all the tents!

There's no reason why people would stock up on tents. But today they were nearly out of dishwasher detergent so anything is possible. Dishwasher detergent. The stuff that is only useful in a dish washing machine. You can't wash your hands with it, or sanitize your doorknobs. Why???