Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I come bearing two questions:

1) It's been a few days of feeding my sour dough starting I'm affectionately calling "Lost Cause". At this point I'm feeding it 50/50 whole wheat and AP flour. It's seems to have gotten out of it's hooch producing phase but I'm not seeing the bubbling and huge rises over night that the Youtubers all show off. Just give it more time?

2) I accidentally left my oven light on for too long today and it got up to ~100F in there (didn't realize it could got that hot just from the light, the day I left the starter in there with the light on might explain Lost Cause's problems). It was in that temp range for maybe an hour. In the oven was some yogurt&heavy cream that's culturing to become cultured butter. I'm not going to give myself food poisoning by keeping this batch of cream to make into butter tonight, right? I'm normally more of a "just gently caress it, you'll survive" sort of person towards grey zone food safety stuff but between this being butter for a hanging out with a friend and the fact it's a bad idea to be cavalier with one's health right now I'm a little more worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
1) more time, maybe

2) should be fine

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

People make butter in hot-rear end places like India without refrigeration, I wouldn't worry about it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Scientastic posted:

Because the general population of the UK are loving idiots, we are struggling to replenish our bread flour. We have a lot of masa, semolina and cornmeal, any suggestions for bread like things I can make with these?

Hush puppies. Piles of them.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Odd question: does anyone know of any foods that are specific to Madagascar?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

Lemur.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Well, yes, obviously, but what is the authentic way to cook it?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Vanilla beans?
Not specific as in you'd only find them there but probably the thing there're most known for.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I'd suggest you avoid bushmeat, unless you want to become the next person famous for introducing humanity to an exciting new disease.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bushes are vegetable silly

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Bushes are out of season, pr0k's mom shaved.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SubG posted:

Bushes are out of season, pr0k's mom shaved.

Is that who this is?

:nws: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/484823054363394048/689963094109192240/dfac027ca7afb2f72b42473cf704f31b.png :nws:

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Scientastic posted:

"Madagascar is the world's principal supplier of vanilla, cloves, and ylang-ylang."

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://www.lemurconservationnetwork.org/urban-bushmeat-trade/
Although it sounds delectable, I think you should stay away

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is 6 minutes a be-all-end-all time for steaming? Most veggies steam well at 6 minutes, 6 minute steamed eggs have a liquid yolk and set whites.

Does steaming frozen veggies at 6 minutes work as well as steaming fresh veggies for 6 minutes?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've had red beans and rice on my mind for a while but dried red kidney beans are suddenly non-existent. It's just a pot of beans so it probably doesn't really matter, but of my three options- fairly old dried cranberry beans, dry (red) small field peas, or canned Goya red kidney beans-which is my best bet? I've always used dried beans before for red beans and rice-for the canned beans would I just reduce the cooking time?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've got four decent sized carrots and four huge parsnips and I want to make a soup from them. I have turkey stock, milk, a decent selection of spices. I also have a regular blender and an immersion blender. What's the simplest way from here, and anything else I should add or substitute?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've had red beans and rice on my mind for a while but dried red kidney beans are suddenly non-existent. It's just a pot of beans so it probably doesn't really matter, but of my three options- fairly old dried cranberry beans, dry (red) small field peas, or canned Goya red kidney beans-which is my best bet? I've always used dried beans before for red beans and rice-for the canned beans would I just reduce the cooking time?

Brown up your onions spices garlic and other veggies in the fond from some sauteed sausage or other meat. Then add the can mix and let come up to Temp slowly and simmer for about 30 minutes.

That should be pretty good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

imo they wont come out right unless you're cooking the beans from dry

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

That Works posted:

Brown up your onions spices garlic and other veggies in the fond from some sauteed sausage or other meat. Then add the can mix and let come up to Temp slowly and simmer for about 30 minutes.

That should be pretty good.

This is how we make red beand at home and its good as hell tbh. Gimme that canned bean goop

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've got four decent sized carrots and four huge parsnips and I want to make a soup from them. I have turkey stock, milk, a decent selection of spices. I also have a regular blender and an immersion blender. What's the simplest way from here, and anything else I should add or substitute?

Turkey noodle soup.

Sautee/get some color on the diced carrot and parsnip, add the stock, spice to your flavor liking. Serve over noodles cooked separately. (or with mazto balls if you're feeling jew-y)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Costco was out of my normal big package of chicken thighs, so instead I bought 10 pounds of "chicken tenderloins"

What the gently caress is this, how do I cook it?
Looks super lean.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

toplitzin posted:

Turkey noodle soup.

Sautee/get some color on the diced carrot and parsnip, add the stock, spice to your flavor liking. Serve over noodles cooked separately. (or with mazto balls if you're feeling jew-y)

Would the milk make it creamy, to go with rice maybe, or would the flavors be weird and not creamy enough?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

Costco was out of my normal big package of chicken thighs, so instead I bought 10 pounds of "chicken tenderloins"

Looks super lean.

you're now the king of chicken tendies! enjoy the food of children

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Squashy Nipples posted:

Looks super lean.

That's the part of the breast under the main section close to the bone, tends to come apart separately when you're taking apart a cooked chicken. If it has a big tendon running through the center have fun removing those loving things.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Looks super lean.

Hey, I did that once recently. Kinda sucked. Best prep I did was butterflying the tiny fuckers and then bread and fry them for chicken katsu curry. Getting them super thin probably helps get them cooked through without getting super dry or something. Idk, cover em with curry.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Looks super lean.
It's the strip of meat that lies alongside the breast, following the bone. As you said it's super lean, but you can treat it more or less identically to breast meat. I mean there are a whole shitload of recipes that call specifically for chicken tenders, but apart from the shape the meat's more or less just more expensive breast meat.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Would the milk make it creamy, to go with rice maybe, or would the flavors be weird and not creamy enough?

I'd take the milk and rice and make rice pudding for dessert.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Looks super lean.

I just chopped some up and broiled it for butter chicken.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

toplitzin posted:

I'd take the milk and rice and make rice pudding for dessert.

Fair enough, thanks for the answers. I love rice pudding so that sounds great.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Is an oven-safe metal casserole pan generally stovetop safe? Like if I want to apply some gentle heat from a gas burner to make a pan sauce? It seems to have an enamel exterior.

edit:

Squashy Nipples posted:

Looks super lean.

pound flat, dredge in flour, egg, and Progresso Italian breadcrumbs or panko and grated parmesan and shallow fry

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 20, 2020

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Is an oven-safe metal casserole pan generally stovetop safe? Like if I want to apply some gentle heat from a gas burner to make a pan sauce? It seems to have an enamel exterior.
Mine is, and I think most are. Though I only have a ceran stovetop.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
We put dried chickpeas in the refrigerator to soak on Tuesday and forgot about them until today. Google results are aaking to toss the water , rinse, and see if they pass the smell test. Any conventional wisdom I should know about or if these will kill us or our digestive systems? I think it was supposed to be used for falafel.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

bartlebee posted:

We put dried chickpeas in the refrigerator to soak on Tuesday and forgot about them until today. Google results are aaking to toss the water , rinse, and see if they pass the smell test. Any conventional wisdom I should know about or if these will kill us or our digestive systems? I think it was supposed to be used for falafel.

If they really were in the fridge that whole time you'll be fine. They'll just be really mushy.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Agree. Sniff test and do hummus instead; soak some new ones for falafel!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

soak some new ones for falafel!

Aye, water content of the chickpeas is SUPER important for falafel.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I never knew Id grow up to be the guy lamenting UGH I WISH MY GIRLFRIEND WOULD STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN SHE KEEPS RUINING MY INGREDIENTS but here we are. She thawed some of my chicken stock last month and just left it out all night. A chicken died to provide that stock. 😟

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfzKfD_WuDM

Learned a lot from this.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I made my first batch of sourdough bread from my sourdough starter (currently named Roanoke to represent my expectations of the starter). It turned out decent. An okay crumb though I would love larger air bubbles and the crust wound up super super soft so I am mostly using it for stuff like sandwhiches or beans and toast. What can I do to get sour dough to have larger/looser crumb and a tougher crust? Or is standard yeast more the tool for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

captkirk posted:

I made my first batch of sourdough bread from my sourdough starter (currently named Roanoke to represent my expectations of the starter). It turned out decent. An okay crumb though I would love larger air bubbles and the crust wound up super super soft so I am mostly using it for stuff like sandwhiches or beans and toast. What can I do to get sour dough to have larger/looser crumb and a tougher crust? Or is standard yeast more the tool for that?

Did you have a water pan in the oven? What temperature did you bake at? I think steam in the oven is what helps develop the crust (not a bread expert). How did you do the proofing?