Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kubo's really good at character design, but i think making 200 distinct characters who all wear the same black outfit kind of broke him.

Yeah it's commendable that the first 500 or so Bleach characters are distinct and unique but by the end Aizen Face was a meme for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat did I just read

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Bleach or newest Chainsawman?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Don't leave us hanging, where are you?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth TNT posted:

Don't leave us hanging, where are you?

I read the ending. Well, really I read the point where the plot hit a tree and stopped.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I read the ending. Well, really I read the point where the plot hit a tree and stopped.

Well yeah what happened basically was that the ratings were tanking, even more than they already had been, so the Shonen Jump editors went "Yo Kubo you got three chapters to wrap this up."

How do you even begin to wrap that clusterfuck of a plot in a dozen chapters, let alone three?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mikl posted:

Well yeah what happened basically was that the ratings were tanking, even more than they already had been, so the Shonen Jump editors went "Yo Kubo you got three chapters to wrap this up."

How do you even begin to wrap that clusterfuck of a plot in a dozen chapters, let alone three?

While the ratings were on the lower side, BLEACH was still doing well in sales- but it also came out like a year after it ended that Kubo was doing really poorly health-wise. A lot of people suspected that editors just got sick of Kubo dragging his feet with the story, but in hindsight it's much more likely that Kubo was slowly dying from overwork and the editors decided to pull the plug for his own sake, and that's why Kubo rushed the ending.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Julias posted:

While the ratings were on the lower side, BLEACH was still doing well in sales- but it also came out like a year after it ended that Kubo was doing really poorly health-wise. A lot of people suspected that editors just got sick of Kubo dragging his feet with the story, but in hindsight it's much more likely that Kubo was slowly dying from overwork and the editors decided to pull the plug for his own sake, and that's why Kubo rushed the ending.

Y not both?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Julias posted:

I can absolutely believe this. The epilogue reads like ten or so chapters got hacked together into a highlight reel, or a film completed after the lead actor died partway through shooting.

Still nowhere near as bad as what happened to Shokugeki no Souma though. That's still my gold standard for disastrous manga endings.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Did somebody say Food Wars? :v:

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1241032883784962049?s=19

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

god it's gonna be so loving bad

meat chainsaw

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

souma and bleach's endings both felt like the culmination of a bunch of bad decisions over the course of several years, but they were bad in different ways

like souma's more insulting on a character level but bleach hadn't had real characters in years

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
For all my complaining I really enjoyed Bleach. It was a helluva ride. A+ would take the roller coaster again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
God it's gonna be hillarious to see it animated.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

souma and bleach's endings both felt like the culmination of a bunch of bad decisions over the course of several years, but they were bad in different ways

like souma's more insulting on a character level but bleach hadn't had real characters in years

yeah if i had to put it one way it'd be that while bleach just kind of ended on a fart, souma's last leg was just so insulting that it ruined any lingering good will toward the product.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

doomrider7 posted:

Y not both?

Because things that get canceled generally don't end with an immediate announcement of a live-action movie and a smartphone game and all the other Bleach merchandise we've had since now and then

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bleach got so bad that no one particularly questioned the story that it ended prematurely due to cancellation. it ultimately wasn't true, but it seemed perfectly reasonable at the time.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Blockhouse posted:

Because things that get canceled generally don't end with an immediate announcement of a live-action movie and a smartphone game and all the other Bleach merchandise we've had since now and then

Just because it got canned, doesn't mean you can't milk it and as badas it got, it was still a money maker for WSJ.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Can someone sum up souma's ending for me and why it was terrible? It was a series I didn't get too far in because the fanservice with young characters was already kind of a turnoff but then I found out they redeemed an abusive parent in a really poo poo way and just dropped it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

doomrider7 posted:

Just because it got canned, doesn't mean you can't milk it and as badas it got, it was still a money maker for WSJ.

If it was a money maker then it wouldn't have gotten canned. And it was, so it didn't. This isn't rocket science.

"It was bad" has never been a cancellation reason for anything ever as long as it made money, and Bleach was still outselling the vast majority of manga on the market.

Your choices for the reason for the abrupt ending are "it was canned despite literally selling millions a year" or "Kubo got sick and rushed to an ending" Only one of those makes any sense at all.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 21, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I could buy "Both editorial and Kubo got sick of each other and needed to split, with Kubo's literal sickness working as an out, before one or both parties were done in" given Kubo's supposed adversarial relationship with them.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've seen the phrase "food hitler" get thrown around a lot but I never found out exactly what it meant

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

DoubleDonut posted:

I've seen the phrase "food hitler" get thrown around a lot but I never found out exactly what it meant

One of the antagonists was a severely abusive father who lived under the belief that all cuisine should fit exactly to what he thinks it should be. That lower forms of cooking were just that, lower, and should be eliminated, that cultural cooking should only remain if it fit his criteria for good cooking. He genuinely intended to take over the culinary world and wipe out all originality and force all but his chosen disciples to only learn how to use his recipes by rote, attempting to make creativity or going against his recipes illegal.

The exceptions of course being his loyal disciples whom he was willing to include their recipes and cultural dishes in his big books of legal recipes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And he's only the beginning of the end for Food Wars

His whole arc is dumb but the next one is really quite awful.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And he's only the beginning of the end for Food Wars

His whole arc is dumb but the next one is really quite awful.

And the worst part is there was a moment where it looked like the series was going to go in a crazy new direction where the characters would travel the world defeating evil chefs with their cooking skills.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It should've just went full crazy and become a true Yakitake Japan successor.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Shokugeki lost me with the evil clown that cooked via high-speed juggling.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

For all my complaining I really enjoyed Bleach. It was a helluva ride. A+ would take the roller coaster again.
Ok so to go back, did you laugh at: Bones are cookies, brain in a jar, "this sword is SO SHARP its defective", Kenpachi just exploding or the awesome sniper character turning into a loving bird that is then battled by a cyborg lieutenant with a hole in his chest?

And I assume everyone laughs at the dude ripping off his own ears or whatever like that bit in the bad DBZ movie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Food Hitler wasn't the peak of the series or anything but it honestly didn't bother me that much. To use a phrase I've said before, the point where SnS jumps the shark directly into its own rear end in a top hat is the next arc where they just drop literally any remaining pretense of having this be about semi-plausible cooking and have the villains do poo poo like this:

Ibblebibble posted:

Shokugeki lost me with the evil clown that cooked via high-speed juggling.

and the guy who uses a chainsaw to tenderize meat or whatever. I thought it was stupid and funny at the time but it legitimately kind of pisses me off in retrospect.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arist posted:

Food Hitler wasn't the peak of the series or anything but it honestly didn't bother me that much. To use a phrase I've said before, the point where SnS jumps the shark directly into its own rear end in a top hat is the next arc where they just drop literally any remaining pretense of having this be about semi-plausible cooking and have the villains do poo poo like this:

and the guy who uses a chainsaw to tenderize meat or whatever. I thought it was stupid and funny at the time but it legitimately kind of pisses me off in retrospect.

She was a Nazi dominatrix with a chainsaw that had spices in the teeth that tenderized the meat

Somehow

Souma's final arc was wild(ly terrible and a generally considered a bad idea)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the problem with the last arc wasn't the over the top one off antagonists. what really killed it was the central villain and how it treated erina in general

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I read to the end because sometimes you're just so far through a series it seems a waste not to finish it, but yeah Erina turning to her incredibly abusive father and doing the "father...even though you abused the poo poo out of me......thank you for teaching me skills........." thing fuckign sucked.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spiderdrake posted:

Ok so to go back, did you laugh at: Bones are cookies, brain in a jar, "this sword is SO SHARP its defective", Kenpachi just exploding or the awesome sniper character turning into a loving bird that is then battled by a cyborg lieutenant with a hole in his chest?

Yes.

I almost died laughing when Kenpachi chopped up the asteroid. The panel layout made it look like his hair had turned into a giant sword. And when Chad went on to a career as a professional punchingman.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 21, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Yes.

I almost died laughing when Kenpachi chopped up the asteroid. The panel layout made it look like his hair had turned into a giant sword. And when Chad went on to a career as a professional punchingman.

The fight with Gremmy is so fantastically stupid.
"I imaged there's 2 of me, so now my imagination has doubled!"
And the golden idea of Kenpachi cutting space itself.

It's all so ridiculous to wraps back into awesomeness.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth TNT posted:

The fight with Gremmy is so fantastically stupid.
"I imaged there's 2 of me, so now my imagination has doubled!"
And the golden idea of Kenpachi cutting space itself.

It's all so ridiculous to wraps back into awesomeness.

There's good stupid and there's bad stupid.

Bleach was mostly the good kind of stupid.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Gremmy fight is lame because he uses all the more imaginative applications of his absurd power in his like 1 chapter battle against Yachiru, but when Kenpachi shows up it's just all power plays.

They already established he could turn peoples bones into mush, why didn't he just do that?? It solves a lot of problems.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The Gremmy fight is lame because he uses all the more imaginative applications of his absurd power in his like 1 chapter battle against Yachiru, but when Kenpachi shows up it's just all power plays.

They already established he could turn peoples bones into mush, why didn't he just do that?? It solves a lot of problems.

What you say is true, but have you considered SOMEONE CUTS UP A METEOR WITH A GIANT SWORD.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Soma is a great series if you pretend it ends at the school festival with the mapo tofu

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Aizen already established that if you're strong enough you can ignore certain effects. Let's pretend it's that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is aizen the ultimate villain in bleach or does it turn out to be someone else? I stopped reading around where the bald soul society guy got killed. At least I think he did