Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Really? Does that work on all kinds of n95 just specific ones

In the presser, someone mentioned it will work on some but not others. I'm not sure on the specifics though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

The live covid-19 tracker channel on Youtube just hit 300k in cases reported, of those ~4% dead, ~30% recovered, and the rest are Goku.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Italy's numbers are the scariest thing I've ever read I think

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

From an extremely realistic standpoint, Oktoberfest isn't all that great. Sure it's a spectacle and people would be happily drunk for a few hours, but it's not like you can't drink beer and listen to lovely music at home every day.

counterpoint: getting absolutely shithouse drunk at Oktoberfest in Munich was one of my most favorite days ever.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Andrast posted:

That's like second world war numbers

Plus the current world population is more than 3 times bigger than it was in the 1940s, and 2 - 3% of 7.5 billion is of course a heck of a lot more than from 2.3 billion.

The predicted COVID-19 deaths for Australia are between 50,000 to 150,000, but most likely somewhere around 100,000. That's more than the number of Australian servicemen/women who died in WW1and WW2 combined.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 21, 2020

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Hopper posted:

I think Italy was hit extremely hard due to a lot of old people and massive amounts of chinese tourists that are funded through all the sights at Pisa, Verona, Florence and Venice. Probably had a lot of mild cases already before anyone knew this was coming.

Probably, but if it was Chinese tourists, then cities like paris should be one giant glowing orb of viral infections now (maybe it will in a couple of days, i dunno).
There must be more to it.
The loving ski season in the alps is definitely one of the main reasons it spread from Italy all over Europe.
Most, if not all of the first cases here in Belgium were linked to it.
I was looking at a map of the sars outbreak in 2003, which at the time, nobody cared about in Europe.
At the time, I had never been on an airplane, and I was far from the only one.
Nobody I knew frequently flew or went on holidays and city trips around the world. And if we had, sars would have been as bad back then as it is now.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Really? Does that work on all kinds of n95 or just specific ones

nm I found a NY times article on it https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/health/coronavirus-masks-reuse.html

Masks are going to stop working in 2 ways. Either you wear it so much that it starts falling apart or it gets clogged with sawdust or drywall dust etc. Since these are not being used in a construction capacity the latter isn't really an issue. It's good to clean it every once in a while I'm sure smarter people have figured out what works and what doesn't but I'm pretty sure as long as its clean and not mechanically broken it will still work fine and better than no mask if used correctly.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Shaocaholica posted:

That's actually a thing.

50/50 odds he thinks turning them inside out is acceptable.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shaocaholica posted:

Masks are going to stop working in 2 ways. Either you wear it so much that it starts falling apart or it gets clogged with sawdust or drywall dust etc. Since these are not being used in a construction capacity the latter isn't really an issue. It's good to clean it every once in a while I'm sure smarter people have figured out what works and what doesn't but I'm pretty sure as long as its clean and not mechanically broken it will still work fine and better than no mask if used correctly.

Yeah but what are the odds that everyone will actually clean the properly?

But to be honest I'd be more concerned about people not cleaning their phones regularly, people are going to be constantly taking those out in public and putting them down on tabeletops and desk and then holding them up to their faces without a second thought.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Andrast posted:

That's like second world war numbers

The world population was only like 2.4 billion in 1940.

sweet thursday posted:

An "extremely utilitarian standpoint" is also called moral brain disease

I didn't say it was my viewpoint, but I can understand people being upset that an event that is very cultural that brings in a lot of tourist euros might not happen.

Hopper posted:

From an extremely realistic standpoint, Oktoberfest isn't all that great. Sure it's a spectacle and people would be happily drunk for a few hours, but it's not like you can't drink beer and listen to lovely music at home every day.

And you can dress up like Batman and eat candy at home whenever you want, but if Halloween is cancelled this year, people are going to be very upset.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah but what are the odds that everyone will actually clean the properly?

But to be honest I'd be more concerned about people not cleaning their phones regularly, people are going to be constantly holding those up to their faces without a second thought.

noone uses phones with faces anymore

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hopper posted:

Sure but steinholding contests aren't as fun over skype

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

The world population was only like 2.4 billion in 1940

I meant in the sense that the second world war is estimated to have killed roughly 3% of the world population

It's a lot of people

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

speng31b posted:

Old people do!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

speng31b posted:

People are in such a panic they are calling again.

I've gotten more phone calls this month than all of 2019 that weren't spam. (personal, work calls went down when I still had to worry about that)

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Lombardy focus was not because of Chinese tourists but because of the local Chinese working community that had visited China for the new year. I think, I read that somewhere.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The predicted COVID-19 deaths for Australia are between 50,000 to 150,000, but most likely somewhere around 100,000. That's more than the number of Australian servicemen/women who died in WW1and WW2 combined.

For reference, the 1918 flu pandemic killed an estimated 15,000 Australians when the population was 20% of today's, so the equivalent of 75,000 people dying from covid.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Have you never seen a boomer on the phone in public? It's all speaker, all the time.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

day 9 of coronavirus

i feel pretty much 100% better

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

GolfHole posted:

day 9 of coronavirus

i feel pretty much 100% better

That's unfair where's my virus

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
So, when this all ends, where is Trump going to put the giant statue(s) of himself? Washington DC of course, but besides that, maybe San Fran or LA? NY? Iowa? Swing states? Lots of options to consider.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It should go without saying, but if you're comfortably working from home please don't take advantage of free food being offered by restaurants to people experiencing hardship. Pretty infuriating to see that happen.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Katamari Democracy posted:

Welp, got to get restock of food. Here comes long lines and people coughing.

I survived and people were very respectful and actually practicing social distancing. It's incredible.

This virus is going to change people.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'd recommend trying instacart or other grocery delivery if that's an option for your area.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Rolo posted:

Just got this email from the NBAA.

what does any of this mean? im not familiar with the air traffic control situation around what i assume is New York City

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Boomer aunt and uncle just group chatted my entire family to plan for the Easter gathering. Nobody loving gets it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tim Whatley posted:

Boomer aunt and uncle just group chatted my entire family to plan for the Easter gathering. Nobody loving gets it.

Everyone can video chat as a group. You should still do it! Just remote.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Beachcomber posted:

I'd recommend trying instacart or other grocery delivery if that's an option for your area.

That would be cool but every single service doesn't have an available delivery slot for weeks. Is that not happening everywhere?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah I don't get that poo poo, dying from ards seems so horrific I just don't get how people don't give a gently caress.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Google Butt posted:

Yeah I don't get that poo poo, dying from ards seems so horrific I just don't get how people don't give a gently caress.

It could never happen to me you see.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

China has zero new infections for the third day in a row! Amazing!

China sending millions of masks all over the world. Compassionate!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dixville posted:

One of mine is in Hawaii and posting on facebook. Last week she was saying the plane tickets were $200 and the hotel was $15 a night. She said "if i die i die!" She's really young so if anything she'll be the one to carry it asymptomatically.

Hi please have your coworker PM me so we can meet up with her, the community wants to give her a warm greeting with a flower lei and then we'll perform a fire dance around a roast pig

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Beachcomber posted:

It's on hold for awhile due to the high demand. Right now the only thing that needs to be done is to limit the amount of customers in the store which they are not doing. I waited in line for an hour talking multiuple feet away on how this felt strange for everyone.

At least now the boomers and every else is taking this more serious with being clean and practicing social distancing.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

It could never happen to me you see.

I'm healthy for my age!!!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Human Crouton posted:

Oh cool. Other countries are signing onto China's translucent plan to take over the world.

Yeah, why aren't they all falling in line with the US, a partner proven to be extremely trustworthy??? Really makes you think.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Deformed Church posted:

That would be cool but every single service doesn't have an available delivery slot for weeks. Is that not happening everywhere?

My wife put in an instacart order this afternoon and they said it’ll be delivered tonight v:confused:v

Columbia, South Carolina

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

personally I'm trying to do everything in my power to reduce my chances of dying from my lungs filling with fluid dunno about you tho

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Katamari Democracy posted:

I survived and people were very respectful and actually practicing social distancing. It's incredible.

This virus is going to change people.

If there's one thing I've learned in the midst of this, it's that most apocalyptic takes are pretty wrong. People in NYC have been nothing but kind about stuff around here and there are hundreds if not thousands of younger people volunteering to help others in need. Not really a lot of panicking in the boroughseven though hospital space is dwindling, but hopefully that will get better with the federal engineers/FEMA rolling in to do mobile hospitals and using places like SUNY/CUNY/Javits center for more medical space. NYC could easily have gotten so much more hosed here but the mobilization so far has at least put the city on a better track to test and improve the situation.

Florida on the other hand will probably be hosed because it took way longer to even close those goddamn beaches.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Hawaii Lt Governor says that he wants a mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone flying to the state but I don't think that has happened yet. It really needs to. In fact every state should do this, it would cut down on air travel

We quarantine incoming pets for a week to make sure that they don't have rabies and people who are flying to Hawaii for vacation right now are a lot dumber than a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
God I am so glad I left working at Disney and left Florida years ago. That state is horrible.