Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

El Generico posted:

The wrestlers are all paid on a per appearance basis too, right? Everybody's got to keep the lights on somehow.

In WWE they are, AEW guys are salaried I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Likely there's a downside guarantee but it won't be that much compared to appearance fees.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

njsykora posted:

In WWE they are, AEW guys are salaried I believe.

i don't know that they are, the guys with office roles are salaried but i swear i remember talk back from around when they started that those who aren't are under the same independent contractor classification.

also i finally listened to the wor, skipped over the argument, and dave was absolutely cracking me up with his references.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pinche Rudo posted:

Dropped a fresh Rudocast episode. We're all sheltering in place from California to British Columbia and starting to go a little nuts but we had a fun time talking AEW and gave a quick update on Puro resuming in Japan.

https://twitter.com/RudosPodcast/status/1241083610993528832

Online gambling: legal in Canada. Comeon Steve.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Generico posted:

The wrestlers are all paid on a per appearance basis too, right? Everybody's got to keep the lights on somehow.

WWE wrestlers have a downside guarantee and AEW wrestlers are salaried except for maybe a few who are on non exclusive deals, but I don't even know if those exist anymore.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

WWE wrestlers have a downside guarantee and AEW wrestlers are salaried except for maybe a few who are on non exclusive deals, but I don't even know if those exist anymore.

Pretty sure Colt is on one, I think Janela too?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pretty sure Colt is on one, I think Janela too?
Nobody's exclusive anymore except for TV. I'm not sure what the catalyst was, especially since some of the talent did indie farewells, but everyone can work indies now. Whether they are or aren't is a matter of if they want to. Santana & Ortiz went to AEW so they could be dads most of the week while making good money, so it makes sense that they stuck with the farewell. Statlander went with AEW over WWE so she could continue to work indies. (And she's new enough that the extra reps are a good thing.) Some of the people who weren't working every week were worried about getting rusty, so you're seeing them on indies more, etc etc

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jim Valley on WOL today decided just to have people call and tweet/e-mail to talk about wrestlers they enjoy, and it was quite sweet :3:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

davidbix posted:

Nobody's exclusive anymore except for TV. I'm not sure what the catalyst was...
...the extra reps are a good thing...

I think you kinda nailed it. They have a handful of months under their belt running TV and Dark, and probably figured it’s a good idea to make sure everyone can get reps with the side effect of being a decent hearts and minds things for the existing workers as well as maybe attracting people like Jordynne who chose Impact over them, seemingly for that reason.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Jerusalem posted:

Jim Valley on WOL today decided just to have people call and tweet/e-mail to talk about wrestlers they enjoy, and it was quite sweet :3:

I usually skip WOL because of the radio format with the breaks but man this was an amazing show. Between this and and B&V review of NXT+Dynamite, you really felt the love of pro wrestling.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1241613839449206787

People say Meltzer is out of touch now, just imagine if he hadn't started going to PWG as late as he did

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

fez_machine posted:

People say Meltzer is out of touch now, just imagine if he hadn't started going to PWG as late as he did

Is it bad that I'm reading this as Dave swinging?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dave double spacing sentences on twitter is the most perfect thing ive ever seen, can’t believe ive just noticed it

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Is it bad that I'm reading this as Dave swinging?

I read it as a couple just turning up at Dave's house and kicking him out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I prefer to think it was two strangers who just showed up at his house determined to force him to go to PWG, and they were left baffled at how easy it turned out to be.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'd like to imagine the couple were Mormons who turned up and instead of getting him to come to church he instead got them to ride their bikes down to see this PWG show.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I prefer to think it was two strangers who just showed up at his house determined to force him to go to PWG, and they were left baffled at how easy it turned out to be.

After they spent all that time tinting the windows on their unmarked van and soaking a rag with chloroform, too.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

After they spent all that time tinting the windows on their unmarked van and soaking a rag with chloroform, too.

Never a bad time for a parking lot brawl imo.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

The secret conspiracy against Dave Meltzer is the dumbest non-'rona related thing I've heard all week.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

fez_machine posted:

Considering how out of touch he is about non-New Japan Japanese wrestling (outside of some Miyahara main events and like one NOAH match a year); even if he didn't go to PWG I can't imagine he'd have been more out of touch about the US scene than he is about that

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Talk is Jericho with Matt Hardy is pretty good

The fact that the talent all book the shows together explains how AEW is so good each week.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Whoa-oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh, rasslemaaaannnniiiiaaaa....

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1241940098758971397

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1241928242598154240

Also: New KFR Pod!

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1241586442146648067

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
the retro shows were about to end in literally weeks and now there is no wrestling

guess they have to watch thunder after all

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

quote:

This week on DragonKing Dark, host Karl Stern looks back at a series of popular Six Million Dollar Man TV episodes featuring a Soviet Venus probe that malfunctioned and landed in the United States and went on a terror spree.

Podcasting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I actually had a blast listening to that! Especially when he reveals how they stopped the probe with SCIENCE!

Also echoing that the Jericho/Matt Hardy podcast was a good listen. Matt and Bray came up together with a scenario following Ultimate Deletion where Bray was gonna show up a merry hobo with a bindle at the Hardy Compound explaining that he had nowhere else to go after Randy Orton burned down his compound and Matt exorcised Sister Abigail so could he stay there? And he'd be given odd jobs around the place and bullied by Senor Benjamin and King Maxel as he and Matt built a rapport as a tag-team who could have long and competitive matches against top talent. Vince's counter-offer to this idea was,"You just become tag champs out of nowhere and win 4 minute nothing matches every week that help nobody!"

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

davidbix posted:

Whoa-oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh, rasslemaaaannnniiiiaaaa....

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1241940098758971397
So glad Dave noted that Little Richard was a former derby skater.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

davidbix posted:

The secret conspiracy against Dave Meltzer is the dumbest non-'rona related thing I've heard all week.

We all need to quit taking the bait on this fake Dave/Bruce beef, tbh

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

We're going to get some long mailbag segments over the next few weeks, hopefully this means a spiritual return of SIN LIMITE.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
in my head, they were hunting for some Dave skin time but he wasn't feeling it so he dashed up into his office and quickly googled the nearest wrestling show and they all went. And had a good time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Tomohiro Ishii is one of the best wrestlers of all time and should probably be in the Hall of Fame before Randy Orton."

Everybody who ever said Dave Meltzer was out of touch must be feeling pretty stupid right now!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave declaring Boneyard is less bad than Graveyard because Boneyard is "just some weirdo name" is the content I needed today.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

'let them eat cake. you've heard that story right? let them eat cake?' was the highlight by far

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Haha bryan clearly had no idea what that phrase means

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1242669910804717568

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
Had to cancel my sub, along with my NJPW World one, as the current situation has only compounded my initial status of being without full time regular work since November last year. The AUD has nosedived back to the 'pacific peso' era of the John Howard years (0.58 USD & 0.66 JPY), so a big jump in the monthly billing was inevitable. I'm now relying on this thread and YT clips to keep tabs on news/happenings/drama until something changes.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Being that we realized that most Between The Sheets listeners haven't heard our Patreon deep dives and thus may not realize exactly what's different about them, we decided to put one up for free: Our deep dive into the failed Nigerian scam(!) that was the original attempt at launching the Global Wrestling Federation in late 1990.

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1243011697704656896

And if you want more shows like this, we've got an archive dozens strong at the Patreon link in the show description.

Yukaichiban
Feb 7, 2020

by Athanatos
WTF am I looking at lol. Image attached in case of deletion Fat Joe just replied to a two year old Rovert tweet about Meltzer talking about poo poo totally unrelated.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/565275158529441810/692577919536726056/unknown.jpeg

https://twitter.com/fatjoe/status/1243011482503254016?s=19

Yukaichiban fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 26, 2020

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
this video of zack ryder and marty scurll going through a sketchy action figure seller's tampa storage unit is like a harmony korine film

wrestling figure collecting is loving bizarre. you already know

Yukaichiban
Feb 7, 2020

by Athanatos

Low Desert Punk posted:

this video of zack ryder and marty scurll going through a sketchy action figure seller's tampa storage unit is like a harmony korine film

wrestling figure collecting is loving bizarre. you already know

Dudes got a teardrop tattoo a fake gun and a real knife. Super Gabby is Super Sketchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yukaichiban posted:

WTF am I looking at lol. Image attached in case of deletion Fat Joe just replied to a two year old Rovert tweet about Meltzer talking about poo poo totally unrelated.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/565275158529441810/692577919536726056/unknown.jpeg

https://twitter.com/fatjoe/status/1243011482503254016?s=19

1. don't post rovert
2. I thought that was samoa joe's new twitter handle