Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Andrast posted:

I'm fine with the current quarantine for myself but even I would start to loving lose it if I had to spend like a year with no face to face contact

What a weak excuse for a goon. I could spend a year without face to face contact, no, I could spend even 5!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: I guess if they've already booked a large wedding venue they can still go ahead just as long as they stick to the "one person per four square metres" rule and someone is simultaneously getting a haircut in the room?

How is someone gonna cut your hair if they are at least 2 meters away from you? lol...

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

How is someone gonna cut your hair if they are at least 2 meters away from you? lol...

An elaborate rope and pulley system

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Zugzwang posted:

My shut-in lifestyle has never seemed so wonderful.

In other news, an Asian coworker of mine reported an uptick in racism being experienced by his family. So that's going on now too.

My cousin is adopted and he's pretty sure he's the only Asian anyone in his town in Florida has ever seen.

He has...not been having a good time of it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bamabalacha posted:

My cousin is adopted and he's pretty sure he's the only Asian anyone in his town in Florida has ever seen.

He has...not been having a good time of it.

people suck.. My buddy in CA is saying that folks are refusing uber rides from Asians etc.. It's a got damned poo poo show.. This modern world sucks.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

This really needs to keep being reposted every page imho.

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-medical-worker-describes--terrifying-lung-failure-from-covid19-even-in-his-young-patients

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Evidently circuit board manufacturing is essential.

I'm not complaining, if my plant shut down I'd surely be permanently laid off without long-term UI options and be completely hosed financially for years and years to come.

How are audio equipment circuit boards essential, though?

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

MrQwerty posted:

Evidently circuit board manufacturing is essential.

I'm not complaining, if my plant shut down I'd surely be permanently laid off without long-term UI options and be completely hosed financially for years and years to come.

How are audio equipment circuit boards essential, though?

There's gonna be a need for walkies and PA systems for crisis-management situations.

I work in event production so I'm turbofucked right now, but a ton of the companies we rent truss/lights/audio equipment are switching gears to providing their services for temp hospitals which is a good thing.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
It’s great when you can’t tell if your getting sick or freaking yourself out or both

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Jabor posted:

Don't feel too bad, you're only a few days later than Boris Johnson in coming to that realization.

Jesus you killed him. Just murder on the forums.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

people suck.. My buddy in CA is saying that folks are refusing uber rides from Asians etc.. It's a got damned poo poo show.. This modern world sucks.

Before the curfew, my preferred Asian grocery was doing business as usual with a healthy amount of white customers. Munich is luckily better about racism than say the eastern parts of Germany. However, that place is inside a big shopping place that is now closed. So no business for them. I hope they can open up again some day.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tei posted:

You can't quarantine the weak and old. Is a large group of people, and a large group of the workforce, including medic personal. If you send home everyone [from the senate] older than 60, only 14 people will attend it, I believe.
People live with families, caretakers. Do you quarantine these caretakers too?.

Quarantining the old is another way to say "let the old and weak people die". Eugenics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

Young people is still going to die. The whole hospital system will collapse, with doctors and nurses inside. Everyone having a medical problem may die too.
Maybe other social systems will collapse too. ( Have fun if the police forces are reduced to only a few officials)

Facing certain or probable death, maybe most prisons will revolt and escape. If you see somebody your age -5 die, and you see that you will die next. What you have to lose? what they can do? , kill you?

Taking this option would also create a horrible wound on the society, a undeletable Sin, future generations will look at it, think about the horrible things that generation did. Maybe learn the worst from it, than killing the weak is a good thing. Maybe we have to stop that idea here just now.

We will grown older, and weak. Everyone will one day be weak.

Has a society, if we don't protect the old and the weak, we don't deserve to survive.

Theres bones from people living 100.000 years ago, from people that would not have survive withouth a lot of care from others.

Is not a thing we do, let the weak die. Is not how we are defined has human beings.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

tater_salad posted:

He's a fifth grade teacher, parents were either pulling their kids out of his or going full "fake news" ranting.

Everyone in my extended family brought old photo albums to my dad's 70th birthday a few weeks ago and he was like "wow, you had more Asian people in your 10th birthday party picture than I ever met once we moved here :smith: " So it was kinda lovely for him even before the roni.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

The NYT had an op ed about how selective quarantines might be better, since it would focus our resources on those who need them most.

While on paper this might work, and even lead to less of those in the at risk group dying, I can't imagine a logistical method that would allow for an effective separation of those at risks while a vaccine or treatments are developed.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It’s great when you can’t tell if your getting sick or freaking yourself out or both

Same. I was running fever yesterday but now I have a cough and no fever. Don't know if allergies or the roni

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it seems pretty clear it’s going to be up to the state and local governments to handle this thing, which is unfortunate since short of barring interstate travel they’re kind of capped on how well they can mitigate the threat.

of course I live in Alabama, so kay Ivey will have us all back to work the moment Trump says jump

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mandrel posted:

of course I live in Alabama, so kay Ivey will have us all back to work the moment Trump says jump

God I'm glad this poo poo wasn't quite in full swing here for Mardi Gras.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Your blood sacrifices have pleased Number

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Zugzwang posted:

My shut-in lifestyle has never seemed so wonderful.

In other news, an Asian coworker of mine reported an uptick in racism being experienced by his family. So that's going on now too.

Id recommend not walking through Harlem. People were freaking the gently caress out at asians

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the aztecs were right

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
The daily aftershocks from our 5.7 quake in Salt Lake City really add a flavorful spice to my anxiety.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
https://twitter.com/DamnShawtyOkay/status/1241940444541595650

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Your blood sacrifices have pleased Number

lol at all the stupid day traders. now that its reached a decent peak it will crash even harder as people sell off to try and get out quick before it starts falling again

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Number plays by its own internal structure thsg you all dony understand

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My high school is about to be converted to a temporary hospital. National Guard is starting on it today. Crazy man

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

I don't think I've ever heard a man sound so angry while yelling something that sounds so scientifically precice

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

My high school is about to be converted to a temporary hospital. National Guard is starting on it today. Crazy man

Don't worry disthread friend! There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, clearly they'll re-open April 1st! See ya real soon!

(The disney group people are getting to me, they are not okay upstairs)

E: SA thread is good stuff, but FB groups. woo.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
imagine if we colonized mars already, some of us could just laugh at earth's misfortune

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I don't think I've ever heard a man sound so angry while yelling something that sounds so scientifically precice

Never been to an academic conference, I see :shobon:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Lol thus Pelosi bill:

https://twitter.com/rachelbovard/status/1242116258834845710

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

glad to see triage and priorities during this critical time to act. Pelosi making the hard decisions

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Trump yesterday was definitely on brand, but he's on a new level.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/world/coronavirus-updates-usa-world.html

quote:

President Trump hints at a short shutdown: “I’m not looking at months.”
President Trump, in a nearly two-hour coronavirus briefing, hinted on Monday that the economic shutdown meant to halt the spread of the virus across the country would not be extended.

“Our country wasn’t built to be shut down,” he said. “America will again and soon be open for business,” the president added, without providing a timeline for when he believes normal economic activity could resume.

“If it were up to the doctors, they’d say let’s shut down the entire world,” Mr. Trump said. “This could create a much bigger problem than the problem that you started out with.”

He later added, “I’m not looking at months, I can tell you right now.”

Mr. Trump sent mixed signals from the White House lectern, agreeing at one point with his surgeon general and saying, “It’s going to be bad,” then suggesting that the response to the virus may have been overblown.

“This is going away. We’re going to win the battle,” Mr. Trump said, citing jobs, “anxiety and depression” and suicide as arguments for restoring the U.S. economy.

He compared deaths from the novel coronavirus to deaths from other causes — influenza and car crashes — suggesting that the scale of those preventable deaths means economic restrictions may not be appropriate to prevent the spread of the virus.

“We have a very active flu season, more active than most,” he said “It’s looking like it’s heading to 50,000 or more deaths — not cases, 50,000 deaths. Which is — that’s a lot. And you look at automobile accidents, which are far greater than any numbers we’re talking about. That doesn’t mean we’re going to tell everybody, ‘No more driving of cars.’ So we have to do things to get our country open.”

While it is true that those causes of death outnumber deaths from the virus to date, projections from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated that deaths from Covid-19 could range from 200,000 to 1.7 million people. Estimates from other scientists place the potential deaths in a range from several hundred thousand to several million deaths, substantially more than annual deaths from car accidents and flu combined.

Mr. Trump also suggested the economic contraction caused by restrictions on commerce and travel to prevent spread of the coronavirus could lead to large-scale fatalities from suicide — “probably more death from that than anything we’re talking about with respect to the virus,” he said. The number of suicides in the country would need to quadruple to approach the low end of the estimates for possible coronavirus deaths.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
My speech-language pathologist friend who works in a skilled nursing facility (which is out of surgical masks) was ordered to carry around a form stating she is an essential employee; in Michigan my ICU pharmacist cousin has apparently now run out of medication in addition to vents. It feels like we're already on our way to quarantining the weak and old in our hospitals and long-term care facilities.

QuarkJets posted:

Notice how old conservative liches were eager to shut down the entire country when everyone thought they were the only ones who got effected but now that it's becoming understood that young people get hospitalized in mass numbers too the same liches think we should end the quarantines lol

No, no, no, my fine upstanding Lt. Gov of Texas Dan Patrick just doesn't want us to "sacrifice the country" by sheltering in place because "these businesses can't wait that long" :911:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
In my locsl hospital all the n95 masks were stolen by nurses and facilitirs staff so doctors don't have any but the nurses do ha

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If 20% of cases require hospitalization to survive, and we can hospitalize ~0% of the population, and the Trump plan is for all 330M Americans to get this at once, then aren't we looking at more like 66M deaths?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Does he realize that him saying "Go back to work" doesn't mean all the companies and their employees have to obey? I thought Republicans were really into not having the fed tell states and private companies what to do.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Allowing China to supply all our drugs was a very bad idea, it turns out

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

gently caress Man posted:

Trump yesterday was definitely on brand, but he's on a new level.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/world/coronavirus-updates-usa-world.html

what measures are federal vs at the state and local level right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

E-flat posted:

My speech-language pathologist friend who works in a skilled nursing facility (which is out of surgical masks) was ordered to carry around a form stating she is an essential employee; in Michigan my ICU pharmacist cousin has apparently now run out of medication in addition to vents. It feels like we're already on our way to quarantining the weak and old in our hospitals and long-term care facilities.

No, no, no, my fine upstanding Lt. Gov of Texas Dan Patrick just doesn't want us to "sacrifice the country" by sheltering in place because "these businesses can't wait that long" :911:

i hope the state governments have more sense and keep poo poo closed down regardless of what that loving idiot says