Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Guy also teased the first appearance of Aiel in the series being surprising or shocking.

What are our options here

Spoilers for Eye of the World, The Dragon Reborn, and New Spring:
Flashback to Tam fighting in the Aiel War....or maybe even Rand's birth on Dragonmount. Actually, you could do a pretty cool thing with seeing Lews raise Dragonmount and die, then angle up to look at Dragonmount cooling off, then pan back down to see the battle, follow Tam through a skirmish, then see him finding Tigraine giving birth, maybe even cutting in Gitara having her last viewing (with young Moiraine and Siuan watching).

Could be as early as the second scene of the show, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

IIRC, the series is still supposed to start off Moirane-centric. That gives a perfect opportunity for her and Lan to run into a couple of scouts that were never mentioned in the book.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Gnoman posted:

IIRC, the series is still supposed to start off Moirane-centric. That gives a perfect opportunity for her and Lan to run into a couple of scouts that were never mentioned in the book.

That's what I assumed from Rosamund Pike being the one big name from the show. But that's fine, she's important as hell.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

She was incredible in gone girl. Is there any other film she shines in?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also, GATHERING STORM

Nynaeve Delves Rand after the fact and finds that the madness is still there. Which means, unless I miss my mark, that he crazies himself out of being crazy

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Also, GATHERING STORM

Nynaeve Delves Rand after the fact and finds that the madness is still there. Which means, unless I miss my mark, that he crazies himself out of being crazy

She also sees something coating the madness and protecting him from it, which is never explained. My favorite part of that scene (unless there's two where she tries to heal him) is when she apologizes for not being able to cure it. Another POV character is there, and freaks because Nyneave can heal madness in the first place.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gnoman posted:

She also sees something coating the madness and protecting him from it, which is never explained. My favorite part of that scene (unless there's two where she tries to heal him) is when she apologizes for not being able to cure it. Another POV character is there, and freaks because Nyneave can heal madness in the first place.

The Dragon is referred to as the Light's Champion so although it's never stated, I figured it was the good stuff from the Creator

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Gold threads:
I think the gold stuff protecting Rand from his madness was created by him, semi intentionally after he decided against killing himself, while he was on Dragonmount. Destroying the Choedan Kal in the process.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Alright, so I've started on the audiobooks. For some strange reason, I've been feeling depressed about the world and listening to podcasts talking about current events doesn't help.

Current thing I appreciate: Narrator is better at saying Egwene's name than I am. (I always end up saying Eg-wean, not Eg-whain, and putting too much emphasis on 'eg' instead of eh-Gwhain.)

Thing that's very mildly irksome, as someone who's read The Eye of the World multiple times but never listened to it: So Randall Thor's going to Edmond's Field ...

Can't wait for Mat to get good again. Only got what, three straight days worth of listening before that happens, right? (Maybe two and a half?)

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Just finished

The talent. Not the curse. The talent

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Vavrek posted:

Alright, so I've started on the audiobooks. For some strange reason, I've been feeling depressed about the world and listening to podcasts talking about current events doesn't help.

Current thing I appreciate: Narrator is better at saying Egwene's name than I am. (I always end up saying Eg-wean, not Eg-whain, and putting too much emphasis on 'eg' instead of eh-Gwhain.)

Thing that's very mildly irksome, as someone who's read The Eye of the World multiple times but never listened to it: So Randall Thor's going to Edmond's Field ...

Can't wait for Mat to get good again. Only got what, three straight days worth of listening before that happens, right? (Maybe two and a half?)

When I started listening I thought his name was Randall Thor and I was like man, what a dumb rear end name, no wonder they just call him Rand. The most cringing thing about the early books are the Illioner accents and their pronouncements of the names of the Forsaken and cities. They end up getting it down by the third book or so.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The most cringy thing is how they can't decide how to pronounce Moghedien.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Moh-geh-deen is the worst one.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Good ol Moggie Dean

I've never listened, I truly hope that's not one

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the forgotten forsaken, sister to mog'a'deen, only known as paul'a'deen

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

bell jar posted:

When I started listening I thought his name was Randall Thor and I was like man, what a dumb rear end name, no wonder they just call him Rand. The most cringing thing about the early books are the Illioner accents and their pronouncements of the names of the Forsaken and cities. They end up getting it down by the third book or so.

I like that between Flagg and Paul, the ophthalmologist from Kentucky is the one with the less lame name.

What's getting me is, with all the news of this latest false dragon, how people keep saying Ghiladan, emphasis on the gila monster.

It's Ghealdan. GELL-DAN.

edit: Good performance on "HOW MANY DIED FOR LAMAN'S SIN?!" I appreciate a good job saying Cairhien. (This is one of my favorite scenes.)

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 26, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know all my name pronunciations in my head are wrong but I like them better.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Vavrek posted:

I like that between Flagg and Paul, the ophthalmologist from Kentucky is the one with the less lame name.

What's getting me is, with all the news of this latest false dragon, how people keep saying Ghiladan, emphasis on the gila monster.

It's Ghealdan. GELL-DAN.

edit: Good performance on "HOW MANY DIED FOR LAMAN'S SIN?!" I appreciate a good job saying Cairhien. (This is one of my favorite scenes.)

Yeah the fever is really well read. Yes, Kari, Rand is a good name...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

silvergoose posted:

Yeah the fever is really well read. Yes, Kari, Rand is a good name...

One of my favorite scenes in The Eye of the World. First we learn that Tam isn't Rand's biological father, setting up the reveal of his birth on Dragonmount. But it also gives a really early introduction to the Aiel, and it makes much more sense (and is more awesome) on a reread.

Also it basically spells out that the Aiel have Avendesora:

quote:

Avendesora. It's said to make no seed, but they brought a cutting to Caerhien, a sapling. A royal gift of wonder for the king.

Rand to Loial when they meet in Caemlyn:

quote:

Rand: "The Great Trees. Are they like Avendesora?"
Loial: "You know better than that. You, of all people."
Rand: "Me? How would I know?"
Loial: "Are you playing a joke on me? Sometimes you Aielmen think the oddest things are funny."

Rand and the Green Man:

quote:

Suddenly, the Green Man spoke to Rand. "Strange clothes you wear, Child of the Dragon."

[...]

"I'd really like to see the Tree of Life," Mat said, not taking his eyes off the halved circle above them. "We can wait that long, can't we?"
The Green Man gave Rand an odd look, then shook his head. "Avendesora is not here. I have not rested beneath it's ungentle branches in two thousand years."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Yeah it's wild how early some of that stuff gets planted.

in EotW Elyas Machera tells Perrin that some Aiel boys go north into the Blight alone to try to kill the Dark One, a thread that won't be touched on again for three more books and won't get paid off until Book 13.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah it's wild how early some of that stuff gets planted.

:haw:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

You really get a sense for how the conversations must've gone in doing the editing for the first book.

"Well, you could cut this, and this, they're just fluff that's not connected."
"... no. Trust me, they're not fluff, they'll have payoff later."
"When?"
"Book four?"

Five to fourteen books later, payoff comes and it's amazing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Vavrek posted:

You really get a sense for how the conversations must've gone in doing the editing for the first book.

"Well, you could cut this, and this, they're just fluff that's not connected."
"... no. Trust me, they're not fluff, they'll have payoff later."
"When?"
"Book four?"

Five to fourteen books later, payoff comes and it's amazing.

I've been listening to The Good Place podcast and apparently Mike Schur did the same thing, a bunch of his editors and episode directors (not to mention most of the main cast) didn't know certain key details.

So there were conversations like "we have to cut two more minutes, how about this conversation" "no that's... that's really important. Can't, uh, tell you why."

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

There's a Good Place podcast?!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Vavrek posted:

There's a Good Place podcast?!

"This is the Good Place podcast. I'm the host, Marc Evan Jackson. I play Shawn."

Yes. Yes there is. I'm listening to the whole archives, and it basically feels like an entire extra season of the show, highly recommend. Guests include directors, creator, main cast, but also visual fx, composer, set, etc.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

silvergoose posted:

"This is the Good Place podcast. I'm the host, Marc Evan Jackson. I play Shawn."

Yes. Yes there is. I'm listening to the whole archives, and it basically feels like an entire extra season of the show, highly recommend. Guests include directors, creator, main cast, but also visual fx, composer, set, etc.

Neednoggle (I know I spelled it wrong) is the best though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

seaborgium posted:

Neednoggle (I know I spelled it wrong) is the best though.

Yes that's the vfx I mentioned. :)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

bell jar posted:

The most cringing thing about the early books are the Illioner accents

Bayle Domon is always described as talking so fast that Rand has trouble understanding him.

The narrator reads his lines slower than the pace he normally keeps for narration. (Also, earlier, it seemed like he was rushing through lines, as though he was thinking "god this book is so long, I need to get this done on time.") Also, he just sounds like a pirate.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Vavrek posted:

Bayle Domon is always described as talking so fast that Rand has trouble understanding him.

The narrator reads his lines slower than the pace he normally keeps for narration. (Also, earlier, it seemed like he was rushing through lines, as though he was thinking "god this book is so long, I need to get this done on time.") Also, he just sounds like a pirate.

Making Illian all pirate-y is probably not the worst idea, mateys

https://imgur.com/OvpcLnC

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean he’s a smuggler, pirate adjacent is pretty alright.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

One of my favorite scenes in The Eye of the World. First we learn that Tam isn't Rand's biological father, setting up the reveal of his birth on Dragonmount. But it also gives a really early introduction to the Aiel, and it makes much more sense (and is more awesome) on a reread.

Also it basically spells out that the Aiel have Avendesora:

Rand to Loial when they meet in Caemlyn:

Rand and the Green Man:

Just started a reread and all this stuff is so satisfying

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DarkHorse posted:

Just started a reread and all this stuff is so satisfying

For all the poo poo WoT gets there are some things it does amazingly right

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Honestly if the actor they pick for Bayle just does his level best to channel Geoffrey Rush in PotC it'll be pretty good.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Honestly if the actor they pick for Bayle just does his level best to channel is Geoffrey Rush in PotC it'll be pretty good.

FTFY

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or David Strathairn doing his Belter accent from The Expanse

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Or David Strathairn doing his Belter accent from The Expanse

How could you not pick Jared Harris you monster

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How could you not pick Jared Harris you monster

Because Strathairn's is more piratey :colbert:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

I mean he’s a smuggler, pirate adjacent is pretty alright.

Honestly, for Domon that's pretty true, though I always want him to come across as a thoroughly Legitimate Businessman.

According to Theoryland, RJ thought the Illianers sounded Dutch, which fits the seafaring trader nation idea pretty well.

So a Dutch pirate who talks without pausing for breath.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I see you're not really familiar with the Dutch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Vavrek posted:

Honestly, for Domon that's pretty true, though I always want him to come across as a thoroughly Legitimate Businessman.

According to Theoryland, RJ thought the Illianers sounded Dutch, which fits the seafaring trader nation idea pretty well.

So a Dutch pirate who talks without pausing for breath.

I know exactly one Dutch person and the description seems perfect to me.

Reporting in from KoD to say that more happened in the prologue compared to the entirety of CoT. Currently 60% through it and there has been a pretty good mix of moving most storylines along.