Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

John Gwynne's Malice is also a Kindle Daily Deal. Any opinions on it? The blurb sounds interesting, though it also seems like it could be kind of bland or cliched in execution.

I tried to read it but lost interest super quick. Bland is definitely how I'd describe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Safety Biscuits posted:

How do you read them? I've opened them with Winzip and now can't even see a file format.

If you liked that you might enjoy the Urth list, which is discussion of Gene Wolfe, and occasionally other writers - it dates back to 1996, so hardly early internet, but hey. All readable online still: http://urth.net/

It looks like all the files are plain text. Lots of them don't have extensions, though.

code:
$ cat sflovers/books/bibs/Burroughs.Edgar.Rice | head
Date:  4 Mar 89 09:50:34 PST (Saturday)
Subject: Author Lists: Edgar Rice Burroughs
To: SF-LOVERS%rutgers:EDU
Edited: 27-Jun-95

Edgar Rice Burroughs is one of the all time classic pulp writers.  As
such, one does not read him for his prose style or characterization.  Many
modern readers find him unreadable.  But, his stories do have unceasing
action, marvelously inventive worlds, brave heroes, beautiful princesses,

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

How do you read them? I've opened them with Winzip and now can't even see a file format.

If you liked that you might enjoy the Urth list, which is discussion of Gene Wolfe, and occasionally other writers - it dates back to 1996, so hardly early internet, but hey. All readable online still: http://urth.net/

Open them with Notepad++ or something similar. The files are mostly raw text with Unix style formatting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

a foolish pianist posted:

It looks like all the files are plain text. Lots of them don't have extensions, though.

code:
$ cat sflovers/books/bibs/Burroughs.Edgar.Rice | head
Date:  4 Mar 89 09:50:34 PST (Saturday)
Subject: Author Lists: Edgar Rice Burroughs
To: SF-LOVERS%rutgers:EDU
Edited: 27-Jun-95

Edgar Rice Burroughs is one of the all time classic pulp writers.  As
such, one does not read him for his prose style or characterization.  Many
modern readers find him unreadable.  But, his stories do have unceasing

Who the gently caress is finding Burroughs unreadable? I read the original Barsoom trilogy just this year and they still stand up.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

quantumfoam posted:

Open them with Notepad++ or something similar. The files are mostly raw text with Unix style formatting.

Notepad++ worked. I'm currently reading about Russians angry about SALT II say Battlestar Galactica is US Propaganda, the horrors of D&D, and whether Asimov's ever came out.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Jedit posted:

Who the gently caress is finding Burroughs unreadable? I read the original Barsoom trilogy just this year and they still stand up.

Agreed - I love the Barsoom books. That little section is part of a blurb from a 1989 bibliography someone name John Wenn wrote:

quote:

Edgar Rice Burroughs is one of the all time classic pulp writers. As
such, one does not read him for his prose style or characterization. Many
modern readers find him unreadable. But, his stories do have unceasing
and unspeakable villains. Personally, I find him kind of fun, if read in
the right mood. I think this list is most complete for his novels, but
I've probably missed a few omnibuses along the way. And the dates
mentioned are publication dates for the books, not copyright dates of the
original magazine articles.

[C] == Story Collection.
[O] == Omnibus. Includes other books.
[= ...] == Also known by this other title.

Burroughs, Edgar Rice (U.S.A., 9/1/1875-3/19/1950) G, F
(pseudonyms: Norman Bean, John Tyler McCullough)

Series
John Carter of Mars
A Princess of Mars (1917)
The Gods of Mars (1918)
The Warlord of Mars (1919)
[O/2N= (1971) [SFBC]]
Thuvia, Maid of Mars (1920)
The Chessmen of Mars (1922)
[O/2N= (1973) [SFBC]]
The Mastermind of Mars (1928)
[O/3N= Three Martian Novels (1962)]
A Fighting Man of Mars (1931)
[O/2N= (1973) [SFBC]]
Swords of Mars (1936)
Synthetic Men of Mars (1940)
[O/2N= (1975) [SFBC]]
Llana of Gathol (1948)
John Carter of Mars (1964) [C]
[O/2N= (1977) [SFBC]]

Carson Napier of Venus
Pirates of Venus (1934)
Lost on Venus (1935)
[O/2N= (1963)]
Carson of Venus (1939)
Escape on Venus (1946)
The Wizard of Venus (1970) [C= The Wizard of Venus + Pirate Blood]

Pellucidar
At the Earth's Core (1922)
Pellucidar (1923)
Tanar of Pellucidar (1930)
[O/3N= Three Science Fiction Novels (1963)]
Tarzan at the Earth's Core (1930)
Back to the Stone Age (1937) [= Seven Worlds to Conquer]
Land of Terror (1944)
Savage Pellucidar (1963)

Tarzan
Tarzan of the Apes (1914)
The Return of Tarzan (1915)
The Beasts of Tarzan (1916)
The Son of Tarzan (1917)
Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar (1918)
Jungle Tales of Tarzan (1919) [= Tarzan's Jungle Tales]
Tarzan the Untamed (1920)
Tarzan the Terrible (1921)
Tarzan and the Golden Lion (1923)
Tarzan and the Ant Men (1924) [rev. 1929]
Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle (1928)
Tarzan and the Lost Empire (1929)
Tarzan at the Earth's Core (1930)
Tarzan the Invincible (1931)
Tarzan Triumphant (1932)
Tarzan and the City of Gold (1933)
Tarzan and the Lion Man (1934)
Tarzan and the Leopard Men (1935)
Tarzan's Quest (1936)
Tarzan and the Forbidden City (1938) [Abr./ Tarzan in the Forbidden City]
Tarzan the Magnificent (1939)
Tarzan and the Foreign Legion (1947)
Tarzan and the Madman (1964)
Tarzan and the Castaways (1965) [C]
Tarzan of the Apes: Four Volumes in One (1988) [O/4N= Tarzan of the Apes + The Son of Tarzan + Tarzan at the Earth's Core + Tarzan Triumphant]

Tarzan and the Tarzan Twins [YA]
The Tarzan Twins (1927)
Tarzan and the Tarzan Twins with Jad-Bal-Ja, the Golden Lion (1936)
[O/2N= Tarzan and the Tarzan Twins (1963)]
The Mark of the Red Hyena (1967) [YA]

Beyond the Farthest Star (1964)
Beyond Thirty (1955) [= The Lost Continent]
Beyond Thirty; and, The Man Eater (1957) [O/2N]
The Cave Girl (1925)
The Eternal Lover (1925) [= The Eternal Savage] [assoc./Tarzan]
Jungle Girl (1932) [= The Land of Hidden Men]
The Lad and the Lion (1937)
The Land that Time Forgot (1924)
= The Land that Time Forgot (1963)
+ The People that Time Forgot (1963)
+ Out of Time's Abyss (1963)
The Land that Time Forgot & The Moon Maid (1924) [O/2N]
The Man Eater (1955)
The Monster Men (1929)
The Moon Maid (1926)
= The Moon Maid (1962) [exp. magazine version]
+ The Moon Men (1962) [exp. magazine version]
A Princess of Mars & A Fighting Man of Mars (1964) [O/2N]
Science Fiction Classics (1982) [O/5N= Pellucidar + Thuvia, Maid of Mars + Tanar of Pellucidar + The Chessmen of Mars + The Mastermind of Mars]
Tales of Three Planets (1964) [C/inc. Beyond the Farthest Star + The Wizard of Venus]

with Joe R. Lansdale
Tarzan: The Lost Adventure: Book 1 (1995)

Non-Genre Fiction
__________Series
Apache Devil (1933)
The War Chief (1927)

The Bandit of Hell's Bend (1925)
The Deputy Sheriff of Comanche County (1940)
The Efficiency Expert (1966)
The Girl From Farris's (1959)
The Girl From Hollywood (1923)
I am a Barbarian (1967)
The Mad King (1926)
The Mucker (1921)
= The Mucker (1922)
+ The Man Without a Soul (1922) [= The Return of the Mucker]
The Oakdale Affair & The Rider (1937)
= The Oakdale Affair (1974)
+ The Rider (1974)
The Outlaw of Torn (1927)

as John Tyler McCullough
Pirate Blood (1970)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I read Princess of Mars and thought the plotting and prose were OK at best, and I found it rather ideologically distasteful in the usual early-20th-century pulp ways. Unreadable does seem like an overstatement, though.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XD75HGV/

A bunch of non-Lord of the Rings books by JRR Tolkein - $2.99 each
Beren and Lúthien
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MG2HOWD/
The Children of Húrin
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007978NKG/
The Silmarillion
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007978PGI/
The Fall of Gondolin
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CFKN31Z
Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-earth
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00796E7CA/

Mr Shivers by Robert Jackson Bennett - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZDK0NC/
This is the book everyone was making fun of. His first novel I believe.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

"Everyone"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

pradmer posted:

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XD75HGV/

A bunch of non-Lord of the Rings books by JRR Tolkein - $2.99 each
Beren and Lúthien
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MG2HOWD/
The Children of Húrin
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007978NKG/
The Silmarillion
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007978PGI/
The Fall of Gondolin
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CFKN31Z
Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-earth
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00796E7CA/

Mr Shivers by Robert Jackson Bennett - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZDK0NC/
This is the book everyone was making fun of. His first novel I believe.

I'd say get the Silmarillion out of that lot, it's the best introduction to the expanded universe of LotR, and one hell of a fascinating read. Most of the other titles are expanded versions of the tales told in the Sil.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is Rendezvous supposed to be the good Rama or are all of them kind of meh? I seem to remember discussion earlier in the thread, and all I can recall is that I tried reading the series when I was twelve or something.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Black Griffon posted:

Is Rendezvous supposed to be the good Rama or are all of them kind of meh? I seem to remember discussion earlier in the thread, and all I can recall is that I tried reading the series when I was twelve or something.

Rendezvous is the best one of the series because it's just dry as hell instead of being actively bad like the sequels.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

8one6 posted:

Rendezvous is the best one of the series because it's just dry as hell instead of being actively bad like the sequels.

Does it work as a standalone novel?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Black Griffon posted:

It is a standalone novel. And something of a classic of its type. The sequels were written many years later by someone who should never have been let near a word processor. (They're one of those "co-written" deals by a famous old author and some guy, where the famous old author at most contributed a few ideas and then collected his royalties and went back to whatever it was he actually cared about doing at the time.)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Groke posted:

It is a standalone novel. And something of a classic of its type. The sequels were written many years later by someone who should never have been let near a word processor. (They're one of those "co-written" deals by a famous old author and some guy, where the famous old author at most contributed a few ideas and then collected his royalties and went back to whatever it was he actually cared about doing at the time.)

Oh gently caress everything makes way more sense now. Thanks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The best Rama is the 1996 Sierra puzzle game because it's based on the good parts of Rama II, fight me.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

No, and yes, respectively.

I'm still reading the digests; it's 1980, The Empire Strikes Back has just come out, and people are speculating about the prequel trilogy. Imagine waiting 16 years for Jar Jar... And apparently Samuel R. Delany reviewed Star Wars. He liked it: https://sockrotation.com/2015/12/18/samuel-r-delanys-1977-review-of-the-original-star-wars/

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

8one6 posted:

Rendezvous with Rama posted:

CHAPTER ELEVEN - Men, Women and Monkeys
Some women, Commander Norton had decided long ago, should not be allowed aboard ship; weightlessness did things to their breasts that were too drat distracting. It was bad enough when they were motionless; but when they started to move, and sympathetic vibrations set in, it was more than any warm-blooded male should be asked to take. He was quite sure that at least one serious space accident had been caused by acute crew distraction, after the transit of a well-upholstered lady officer through the control cabin.

He had once mentioned this theory to Surgeon-Commander Laura Ernst, without revealing who had inspired his particular train of thought. There was no need; they knew each other much too well. On Earth, years ago, in a moment of mutual loneliness and depression, they had once made love. Probably they would never repeat the experience (but could one ever be quite sure of that?) because so much had changed for both of them. Yet whenever the well-built Surgeon oscillated into the Commander's cabin, he felt a fleeting echo, of an old passion, she knew that he felt it, and everyone was happy.

I am not sure if "dry" is quite the word I would use... To be fair, the rest of the book isn't like this.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

SimonChris posted:

I am not sure if "dry" is quite the word I would use... To be fair, the rest of the book isn't like this.

Eww. I didn't remember that particular passage, but I read it with a bunch of other 60s and 70s scifi, so I may have just remembered it as not as bad on that front as some of the other stuff. Sorry.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

xcheopis posted:

"Everyone"

Mr. Shivers was an ok first novel, and Jackson has improved since then with his City of X trilogy. There was just a strange, Goony lynch mob that hated anything he wrote and forced him out of this forum.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ninurta posted:

Mr. Shivers was an ok first novel, and Jackson has improved since then with his City of X trilogy. There was just a strange, Goony lynch mob that hated anything he wrote and forced him out of this forum.

they wrote p funny parodies and laughed at those and pretended he wrote them for some reason. his actual stuff seemed fine imo, if a little self-consciously gritty

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Ninurta posted:

Hence my use of "everyone"; because it wasn't "everyone" then and it's just some weirdo going on about it now.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

SimonChris posted:

Mind you, Clarke was gay af in real life so whenever he tried to write something from a hetero pov it's reasonable that the results ended up a little strange.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

So what you’re saying is to mentally rewrite that passage to be about dongs flopping around in zero gravity?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

that's what you're supposed to do with all fiction in general

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

that's what you're supposed to do with all fiction in general

We've had that for centuries.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
CHAPTER ELEVEN

Some men, Commander Norton had decided long ago, should not be allowed aboard ship; weightlessness did things to their shafts that were too drat distracting. It was bad enough when they were motionless, loose under the uniform jumpsuit and idly half-erect; blood flowed easily in zero gravity. But when they started to move, and the inertia of their pipe drifted behind each turn like a lazy python dangling from a car window, it was more than any warm-blooded male should be asked to take. He was quite sure that at least one serious space accident had been caused by acute crew distraction after some young stallion thrust himself feet-first through the hatch into the control habin, loudly slapping his drifting hang against his spacer-perfect abs.

He had once mentioned this theory to Surgeon-Commander Laurence Ernst, without revealing who had inspired this particular vein of thought. There was no need; they knew each other much too well. On Earth, years ago, in a moment of mutual loneliness and depression, they had once made love. Probably they would never repeat the experience (but could one ever be quite sure of that?) because so much had changed for both of them. Yet whenever the well-endowed Surgeon slithered into the Commander's cabin, twitching with the routine Kegels required to preserve muscle in zero gravity, Norton felt a fleeting echo of an old passion, Laurence saw that he felt it, and everyone was happy.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

now we're talkin'

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In space, no one can hear you cream...

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

It might be time to change the thread title text to "Science Fiction Fantasy MegaThread 3: SF-LOVERS in every way"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

General Battuta posted:

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Some men, Commander Norton had decided long ago, should not be allowed aboard ship; weightlessness did things to their shafts that were too drat distracting. It was bad enough when they were motionless, loose under the uniform jumpsuit and idly half-erect; blood flowed easily in zero gravity. But when they started to move, and the inertia of their pipe drifted behind each turn like a lazy python dangling from a car window, it was more than any warm-blooded male should be asked to take. He was quite sure that at least one serious space accident had been caused by acute crew distraction after some young stallion thrust himself feet-first through the hatch into the control habin, loudly slapping his drifting hang against his spacer-perfect abs.

He had once mentioned this theory to Surgeon-Commander Laurence Ernst, without revealing who had inspired this particular vein of thought. There was no need; they knew each other much too well. On Earth, years ago, in a moment of mutual loneliness and depression, they had once made love. Probably they would never repeat the experience (but could one ever be quite sure of that?) because so much had changed for both of them. Yet whenever the well-endowed Surgeon slithered into the Commander's cabin, twitching with the routine Kegels required to preserve muscle in zero gravity, Norton felt a fleeting echo of an old passion, Laurence saw that he felt it, and everyone was happy.

:golfclap:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

General Battuta posted:

like a lazy python dangling from a car window

That simile really gets you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Thank you for this early excerpt from Baru Cormorant 4.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The Dangler Baru Cormorant

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thanks to whichever mod/admin updated the thread title.
Updating the thread OP with the SF-LOVERS archival link.

/sflovers/tv + sflovers/books/misc/ is where I've spent most of my time.

alternate-histories, jewish, machine-intelligence, moon-man, nanotechnology-in-sf, novels-made-into-movies/books-into-films are the standouts so far.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I've put The Dawnhounds up for free for a week, if anybody wanted a quarantine read and/or a plague book with a hopeful ending

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YSBKKGG

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

read dawnhounds you cowards

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Black Griffon posted:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

Can't understand why they won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i started reading dawnhounds last week then i got too sick to read, im feeling a little better today though so maybe i can start back up soon