Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Of course there's nothing typical or predictable or rational about the Trump presidency or the true believers' faith in him so who knows how people will react????? :shrug:
Prepare yourselves for the biggest "Ah well, nevertheless...." ever!!

The thought process is always going to be that Trump is perfection incarnate, and that there was nothing he could have done differently to change how this situation unfolded.

It doesn't matter if you point out the thousands of different things he could have done better, or even how he's flip flopping about how he's handling the situation, or even that he (figuratively) said "Many of you will die, but that's a sacrifice i'm willing to make." re: sending people back to work in the middle of a pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Don't get sick with this virus, everyone. Even if you survive, this is what your lungs are likely going to look like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rgJOBHwTkM

Accompanying article that puts some context into the patients lungs shown https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/health/covid-19-lung-damage-video/index.html the patient is probably dead by now though.

While some people will unfortunately get lung damage from this, remember there’s a wide range of outcomes. Something like half of the people who get the virus won’t even notice that they’ve been infected.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Louisgod posted:

exactly, people getting caught up on flipping states blue as if that somehow solves issues is some liberal succ thought process that needs to be aborted ASAP. Entertaining the hypothetical, let's say Texas and Florida go blue in November.. then what? What does that solve aside from letting a bunch of middle class white liberals high-fiving each other? People still died, the wealth gap is still insurmountable, millionaires and billionaires still control everything, and our underlying healthcare system is still a loving mess. Also doesn't help that this loving idiotic $2m "stimulus" bill has successfully repurposed wealth to the top 1% for years to come, with not enough done to help the actual people that are suffering.

So yeah, gently caress the "oooh, maybe some states will go BLUE!" mindset.

I mean, it's a great trick to keep your populace focused on anything but the reality. It's been done throughout human history. Tribalism. In our modern world it's Your Team. Blues and the Greens in Rome. Tried and true.

The best way to talk politics to people, as I quickly found out even getting a bit worked up at work the other day about it, is to not talk politics. Drop all the -isms and even specific people. If you talk to people and say, I want people to not have to worry about having a roof over their head. I want people not to worry about not eating or not being able to feed their kids. I want people to not worry about healthcare. I don't care who's doing it, I will vote for them. I want that for everyone, even people that hate me because of -isms. Whatever. Who can disagree on wanting that for their own selves, family, other people they care about? It's so easy to get people to agree to those things as a baseline.

If the smart people figure that out and change the entire message they put forward and drop the team game entirely, things can be pulled off. What other hope is there to get out of this without a mountain of dead?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mnoba posted:

trumps oppositon lmao

https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/status/1242958794843398154

2800 concurent viewers, and this was before the rape allegations. lets face it, trump could get corona and cough directly in the face of a baby and still win this one.

Trump is absolutely going to win. It sucks massively, we are in for another 4 years of this poo poo that will probably include another deadly pandemic, due to his incompetence. Next time it happens though, I bet it really only affects the United States because of Trump.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

DuckConference posted:

While some people will unfortunately get lung damage from this, remember there’s a wide range of outcomes. Something like half of the people who get the virus won’t even notice that they’ve been infected.
Yeah, and of course it's the extreme cases like this that get reported on, because non-extreme things don't get noticed.

Note that I still definitely do not want to get this virus as a 35-year-old, even if I know the stuff in the news is all worst-case scenario. Once hospitals are swamped, things will be skewing a lot more towards worst-case.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

trash bags jfc

https://twitter.com/AndyBiotech/status/1243149132883165192

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

VikingSkull posted:

I'm in NY and I don't even know someone who has it lol

You're from some podunk nowhere in upstate lol.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
Clinical lab goon here. This is the testing criteria for our organization. Even if you have been exposed, unless you are seriously ill, you are NOT being tested.
This is probably the norm for everyone due to shortage of supplies/labs running at full capacity. Our large lab can only do 400 tests per day at this point.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

I said come in! posted:

Trump is absolutely going to win. It sucks massively, we are in for another 4 years of this poo poo that will probably include another deadly pandemic, due to his incompetence. Next time it happens though, I bet it really only affects the United States because of Trump.
I dunno man, if you're that certain about anything these days, I don't know what to tell you. Things are going to look very different in a few months, let alone 7 months. Most of the fundamentals actually look bad or hazy-at-best for Trump now, including the margin by which he's trailing Biden in most general polls. Nate Silver doesn't think even the electoral college could save Trump if things don't change on that front.

I mean, he might totally win, but I really hate it when things devolve into a unipolar wankfest of catastrophizing. We have a lot of uncertainty now, so take what reassurance you can from it.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1243134029928554496?s=19

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You know, there was a video going around about two weeks ago that people were making fun of because it had a woman shuffling through the street in improvised trashbag PPE.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Why would you do that :psyduck:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

unpacked robinhood posted:

Money?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Panic buying, but from the source.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
China just trolling the world now

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Zugzwang posted:

I dunno man, if you're that certain about anything these days, I don't know what to tell you. Things are going to look very different in a few months, let alone 7 months. Most of the fundamentals actually look bad or hazy-at-best for Trump now, including the margin by which he's trailing Biden in most general polls. Nate Silver doesn't think even the electoral college could save Trump if things don't change on that front.

I mean, he might totally win, but I really hate it when things devolve into a unipolar wankfest of catastrophizing. We have a lot of uncertainty now, so take what reassurance you can from it.

Agreed. If acting smug while actually being violently depressed while wailing and pulling out your hair is anyone's thing, go hang out in the cool place called D&D.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

There is a group in my town doing a sewing bee to make hand-made cloth masks. They look like surgical masks if surgical masks were made of Winnie the Pooh fabric with batting inside.

There is no way in hell those things actually help, right?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
From what I hear they kinda help but aren't nearly as good as the real thing.

Better something than nothing right? A lot of those depression and WWII home front tasks were more about morale than the actual contribution.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Wait does that mean their test never worked?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

There is a group in my town doing a sewing bee to make hand-made cloth masks. They look like surgical masks if surgical masks were made of Winnie the Pooh fabric with batting inside.

it's better than nothing at all but only just.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I hope the sewing bee folks are working from home.

Cloth masks probably help some, especially if someone is sick and can spread the virus. If they're blocking some droplets with virus from spraying everywhere, they're helping. Efficacy will matter based on a lot of factors, but they're better than nothing. They should absolutely not be treated as a perfect way of avoiding the infection.

Bleusilences posted:

Tests can fail for a lot of reasons, the same as the initial CDC ones in the USA. Depending on what's in the kits, components may require cold or frozen storage. If that got loving up during shipping, bye-bye enzymes or whatever other bitchmade components are in there.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

who made coronavirus king poo poo anyway

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I've seen a lot of hospitals requesting these so docs can wear them over their N95 masks and then toss the cloth masks at the end of the day.

I have also read if you are making the ones with vacuum bags as the filter they are ~70% as effective as the N95 masks. Tbqh I don't know how accurate that figure is.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
500000 people we are aware of positive, 22000 deaths

America is 200 people away from passing Italy

Man USA, you know you don't have to be #1 at everything

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

stab posted:

Keep in mind proportional numbers. In that sense Italy is still ahead of us for the time being (for the time being).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

stab posted:

We already beat them

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zugzwang posted:

Getting close to too much politix itt

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Grape posted:

Keep in mind proportional numbers. In that sense Italy is still ahead of us for the time being (for the time being).

per capita

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Those health workers that survive will end up with wild PTSD and loving suberb immune systems.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stab posted:

We pride ourselves at being number 1 at only the bad stuff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

stab posted:

If the rate of increase in new confirmed cases in the US holds steady from yesterday they'll pass China sometime today :ssh:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

TipsyMc posted:

Clinical lab goon here. This is the testing criteria for our organization. Even if you have been exposed, unless you are seriously ill, you are NOT being tested.
This is probably the norm for everyone due to shortage of supplies/labs running at full capacity. Our large lab can only do 400 tests per day at this point.

Why is this chart broken down by travel/exposure if that doesn't impact the decision? Seems needlessly confusing.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
so... uh... is that to keep people in or out?

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1243210861294039042

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Zugzwang posted:

Tests can fail for a lot of reasons, the same as the initial CDC ones in the USA. Depending on what's in the kits, components may require cold or frozen storage. If that got loving up during shipping, bye-bye enzymes or whatever other bitchmade components are in there.

I can see that happening, I worked at a company where the ink started to clog because it reacted to the high and low temperature during transport.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If the rate of increase in new confirmed cases in the US holds steady from yesterday they'll pass China sometime today :ssh:

Can't believe China found a way to beat the natural curve irt data. The latest trends:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bleusilences posted:

quote:

The rapid tests, manufactured by the Chinese company Bioeasy, based in Shenzhen, one of the technological poles of the Asian country , have a sensitivity of 30%, when it should be higher than 80%, these sources indicate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The United States military would not withstand a Canadian attack on their moose cavalry.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Burt Sexual posted:

Getting close to too much politix itt
Sorry :( I'll stick to 'Rona.

Speaking of which, doctors at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NY are asking people who've recovered from COVID-19 to donate their plasma because they have antibodies to the virus. This is the closest thing we have to a vaccine right now. Too bad it won't provide lasting immunity.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why is this chart broken down by travel/exposure if that doesn't impact the decision? Seems needlessly confusing.

At one point it did matter, the creator probably should have made a new graphic instead of just changing the parameters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This is a few days old, but still full of a lot of very useful info. It's a March 19th conference from UCSF with expert analysis on COVID-19. Mostly meant for a medical audience, but still worthwhile. (With some updated info from the March 10th notes posted ITT from UCSF earlier.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-BzEve46Y