Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

D-Pad posted:

You should definitely read the Watchers of the Throne series to get a great look at where the imperium and Custodes ended up 10k years later. Same author.

Read the poo poo outta those bad boys. I bloody love the boys in Gold and their warp loving besties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

notaspy posted:

Read the poo poo outta those bad boys. I bloody love the boys in Gold and their warp loving besties.

Then I would suggest Vaults of Terra series and Lords of Silence for some other recent greats by Wraight.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Thanks for the recs, scooped up Fang and World Bearers.

head58 posted:

Betrayer by ADB has a dread as one of the main characters.

I haven’t tried any of the Heresy books yet. Can they be picked and chosen like the rest? Granted I don’t play the game I’ve just been reading the books with a loose understanding of that part of the history.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

^burtle posted:

Thanks for the recs, scooped up Fang and World Bearers.

I haven’t tried any of the Heresy books yet. Can they be picked and chosen like the rest? Granted I don’t play the game I’ve just been reading the books with a loose understanding of that part of the history.

I think you could read Betrayer standalone, since it's the first (I think) book about the World Eaters. Only things from the other HH books you need to know would be:

Lorgar was the first one to really get into Chaos, before it was cool, and he, Erebrus (his second in command) and Kor Pharon (His religious space daddy) have been the ones slowly leading the other legions towards the Warp.

Argel Tal is a Word Bearer who was possessed by a demon, and he leads a bunch of other marines in the same boat, the Gal Vorbak. He is mostly a chill bro though.

Lorgar hates the Ultramarines because they were mean to him and blew up one of his planets on the Emperor's orders, so now he and Angron are loving up Ultramar. Also, Ultramar is currently cut off by warp storms and is forming a mini-empire in case everyone else dies before they can get out.

Really, any backstory you missed would be in the book First Heretic, which is an A+ book anyways, but you should be fine with Betrayer on its own if that's what you want.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

von Metternich posted:

I think you could read Betrayer standalone, since it's the first (I think) book about the World Eaters.

You should really read Know No Fear before Betrayer, because the entire plot of Betrayer comes out of the Calth Atrocity.

However, Know No Fear is awesome so that really isn't a problem, imo. Here's what you need to know beforehand: The Word Bearers are evil and they hate the Ultramarines. The Ultramarines don't know this and think that the Word Bearers are still friends who are coming to help them kill a bunch of orks to help prove their brotherhood. Murder ensues. No orks appear in this book.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Just when I think I’m starting to coast, you guys pull me back in.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I think First Heretic, Know No Fear, and Betrayer make an excellent trilogy.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I'm halfway through Betrayer and didn't realize until too late that Know No Fear covered the stuff I wasn't understanding. :negative: I'll read it next and work backwards on the details I missed.

At least I read First Heretic beforehand so I know the deal behind Lorgar and Argel Tal. I read it weeks ago and I still think about the ending. Ending your oath of silence to say "I always hated you, Xaphen" is an amazing way to go out before getting ripped to shreds by possessed space marines. And "I'm your brother now" is the perfect encapsulation of the bitter regret instilled in the more coherent heretics. ADB writes chaos exactly the way I want them to be. I need to re-read Night Lords sometime.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 30, 2020

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Khizan posted:

You should really read Know No Fear before Betrayer, because the entire plot of Betrayer comes out of the Calth Atrocity.

However, Know No Fear is awesome so that really isn't a problem, imo. Here's what you need to know beforehand: The Word Bearers are evil and they hate the Ultramarines. The Ultramarines don't know this and think that the Word Bearers are still friends who are coming to help them kill a bunch of orks to help prove their brotherhood. Murder ensues. No orks appear in this book.

It is utterly impossible for a book that has a chapter opening with the line "it was raining main battle tanks" to be bad.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Half way though Valdor and it has me wanting Warhammer 40,000: Unity after Horus Heresy is over.

Come on games workshop give me some techno barbarians.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 30, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I love Betrayer but the title always gets this stuck in my head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHO_DhLeQr8

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Guyver posted:

Half way though Valdor and it has me wanting Warhammer 40,000: Unity after Horus Heresy is over.

Come on games workshop give me some techno barbarians.

If Corona gets worse, maybe we will live the techno barbarian life ourselves and toilet paper would become lost-tech for sure.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Idris Elba should play Eisenhorn.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Nah, they should get someone who can't emote to play their strengths.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why have we never got a Inquisitor Mass effect style game.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It would be morally confusing to say the least. Does the renegade option involve not executing every second person you talk to for heresy?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

euphronius posted:

Why have we never got a Inquisitor Mass effect style game.

There's something in the works along that line, but it won't be AAA level, or with the depth you sound like you're looking for. Focus Interactive has 3 titles under development, 1 being a ARPG/FPS combo, another being pure FPS, and I think the 3rd was BFG 3?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The weapons, retinue, psyker abilities, chaos demons ..

It would just he perfect !!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

if it was a game that offered any choice every PC would fall to Chaos every time

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

It would be morally confusing to say the least. Does the renegade option involve not executing every second person you talk to for heresy?

Puritan: BLAM!
Radical: Maybe peaceful co-existence is possible.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Azubah posted:

So Keanu Reeves for Eisenhorn then.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Azubah posted:

Deptfordx posted:

So Keanu Reeves for Eisenhorn then.

Too expensive, probably. How about the lead from season one of Altered Carbon, Joel Kinnaman?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I still say D'Onofrio for Eisenhorn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_D%27Onofrio

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

D'Onofrio got L A R G E recently, Eisenhorn is grumpy and old, but every description has him at frightening physical condition in terms of relative strength and speeds even after he's crippled. This is the guy who is able to duel (with only minimal augmentation) a chaos space marine in his 200s. I'm thinking maybe more of a Statham type, even a Bruce Willis. You need a roided out grandpa.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The dude who played Tywin on GoT is how i picture eisenhorn

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Looks like I was beaten to Mark Strong in the time it took me to hit Reply.

God speed, Inspector_666. May blue shells guide you to your rest.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yes. Titus Welliver from Bosch would be good too.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought Strong was already playing him in the cell phone game.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

*bangs table*

Jeffery. Donovan.
Jeffery. Donovan.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

The dude who played Tywin on GoT is how i picture eisenhorn

Charles Dance for Hereticus Eisenhorn.

Mark Strong for young Eisenhorn.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In terms of goon casting , which is usually terrible and face blind , not bad

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Idris Elba as Eisenhorn.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

Idris Elba as Eisenhorn.

That would work very well

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Idris as Fishig

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SardonicTyrant posted:

*bangs table*

Jeffery. Donovan.
Jeffery. Donovan.

Only if he has his Sicario moustache. And glasses.

TIER. ONE.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It’s gotta be Karl Urban, my dudes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Karl Urban is already typecast as an Arbites officer.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I just finished Rites of Passage, and it was excellent just as others have said.

"So here we are. The unprepared, arraying ourselves against the unfathomable, on behalf of the unaware."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So long as we get Mark Rylance to play my boy Uber Aemos I’ll be happy.