Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea TTS is kinda heavy weight but the benefit is everything is in there and automated so past the learning curve you’re not creating a bunch of stuff yourself or working in multiple different systems. Plus it looks pretty like the actual game.

That's what I'm leaning toward as well, it's nice having an all-inclusive system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The biggest benefit to TTS is you can just save the game and walk away. No need to pack/unpack stuff.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

NRVNQSR posted:

A quick google suggests this, but it only has the starting player classes. Doesn't look like there are any others in the workshop.

Thanks!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We (Scoundrel & Music Note) played #77 last night and I did my Music Note solo scenario tonight.

Solo scenario was interesting. Because I've been playing 2P I've had a damage build on my music note and I thought this might be a change. I did focus more on CC than normal but I still relied on the disadvantage song for the entire thing. Didn't even worry about blessing my allies too much since my attack modifier deck was so good. Not sure if I'll be using the reward but maybe cycling the disadvantage song more often would make it worthwhile.

Was also my first time properly using Gloomhaven Helper over Gloomy Companion and if it wasn't for Forgotten Circles I'd probably switch back. Are there any other options worth exploring? I don't care about HP, statues, element or initiative tracking, I just want something to handle the cards.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Music Note solo item is stupid powerful.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Music Note solo item is stupid powerful.

At the moment (spoiler for Prosperity 5) I'm using the Versatile Dagger since I rely a lot on basic top attacks. Also I rarely swap songs because only the Disadvantage song is worth using in 2P. Going to see how it goes though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At the moment (spoiler for Prosperity 5) I'm using the Versatile Dagger since I rely a lot on basic top attacks. Also I rarely swap songs because only the Disadvantage song is worth using in 2P. Going to see how it goes though.

Yes give it a try. I didn't think much of it before I used it but switching songs is a really good thing to do. Our group really loves disadvantage song but wound song and curse song are also excellent and the extra movement you get will really help you keep up with the Scoundrel and you don't have to rely on big bottom moves. You can switch songs and use some of the crazy good bottoms.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Next scenario we're doing (no specific scenario spoilers) has a bunch of NPC allies so there'll be more room for other songs anyway.

Unless my partner does her solo scenario.

EDIT: (Music Note abilities} I don't have the Curse song because while I'm level 8 I took both 5s (move+attack bottom, 6 move bottom), Provoke Terror (aoe stun / attack 4 range 4) and Booming Proclamation (AoE top). One thing about Music Note that I only just realised is that pretty much the only fast cards are the songs, and taking an extra song would probably help my initiative.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 28, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Solo Scenarios. My group is as follows:

Level 4 Sun
Level 4 Brute
Level 5 Craig

We are either going to unlock solo scenarios with the next scenario (I think, I can't remember for sure). We had talked about just spending a night with each of us doing our respective scenario and thought that might be a fun detour. Are we going to get wrecked at our level? Are the solo scenarios designed for max level characters?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Are the solo scenarios designed for max level characters?

They're easier at even levels than at odd ones (a level 5 and a level 6 character both do scenario level 3, so the level 6 will find it easier) but overall I don't think the level matters too much (with a handful of exceptions).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

SalTheBard posted:

Level 4 Sun
Level 4 Brute
Level 5 Craig

We are either going to unlock solo scenarios with the next scenario (I think, I can't remember for sure). We had talked about just spending a night with each of us doing our respective scenario and thought that might be a fun detour. Are we going to get wrecked at our level? Are the solo scenarios designed for max level characters?

I recommend doing them at level 6 because the difficulty level is the same but you have more hp and a better card.

The Cragheart solo is one of the hardest, if not THE hardest. Don't feel bad if you have to kick down the difficulty to beat it.

The Brute and Sun solos are really fun. The Sun solo item is ridiculous. Like "lmfao why does this exist?" ridiculous.

Oh and remember you get to keep xp and money from your solo failures. For more than one of them I had to buy/sell/trade items from the shop to make things easier. Don't be afraid to do that.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

Level 4 Sun
Level 4 Brute
Level 5 Craig

Echoing what people said above. The other thing to know is that some of the scenarios expect you to have picked certain cards on level up, so if you didn’t make those choices you may have a much harder time or find it completely impossible (looking at you, angry face). I don’t think any of those three were like that, but it’s something to keep in mind.

Edit: also your avatar is the best. My corgi approves.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So Cragheart's is a wild ride. Even with perfect strategy, it's overtuned. Cut out the last 1-2 waves or spend time getting frustrated.

Sun's is fun and awesome, and the solo scenario item is top notch - imo essential kit. Your level 3 card is key, but not the way you usually use it. Righteous Strength, top, should be your first action. Hopefully every wave.

I'm general, while you technically count all xp and coins, I recommend only counting the last (successful) run. It took me seven tries for Cragheart and just leveling up alone in my basement and getting higher level than my party just felt lame. Different situations vary tho.

Also some scenarios give zero coins and some give plenty. So there's that too.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
My wife and I just started the new community campaign with a Deathwalker and a Geminite. Holy poo poo that was fun.

The Geminite damage output is ridiculous. I kept asking "wait I can seriously do this at level 1?"

My wife loves the Deathwalker. She figured it out really quick and did some very cool and smart things.

I'm going to play it with the 4 JotL classes for fun. I haven't seen any of the cards for them yet.

If anyone has TTS and wants to hang out tonight goofing around with this hit me up on Steam. My name and avatar are the same.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 28, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I skip money, XP and battle goals when doing solo scenarios to save time / admin and to remove any desire to grind them.

Are we spoiler tagging the Subtitle and Frosthaven classes?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

dwarf74 posted:

Sun's is fun and awesome, and the solo scenario item is top notch - imo essential kit. Your level 3 card is key, but not the way you usually use it. Righteous Strength, top, should be your first action. Hopefully every wave.

I think you mean level 4, but yeah, it's ridiculous

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
If you do the Sun solo, keep in mind there's an error in the special rules, and an extra Inox Guard should spawn when instructed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Are we spoiler tagging the Subtitle and Frosthaven classes?

Isaac published everything about them online, including the ability cards, so that's open information at this point. Treat them like the Gloomhaven starter classes

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Right - neither frosthaven or JotL starters should be spoilers.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

How has the balance been feeling on the Deathwalker? Just looking at the cards it seems like it would be really hard to generate all the shadows you need, especially at level 1.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

NRVNQSR posted:

How has the balance been feeling on the Deathwalker? Just looking at the cards it seems like it would be really hard to generate all the shadows you need, especially at level 1.

My wife recommends just burning the loss card that makes 2 shadows right off the bat on turn 1 and working from there. You have 11 cards so it seems totally worth it to burn that ASAP so you can accelerate towards having 5 on the table and doing crazy poo poo with them. It's a lot more effective of a class than I originally thought. I haven't played it yet but probably will try it after dinner.

She says it feels like a combo of the Diviner and Two Minis because you don't have to move much. The shadows do most of the work for you and you have teleports when you need them.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Elephant Ambush posted:

My wife and I just started the new community campaign with a Deathwalker and a Geminite. Holy poo poo that was fun.

The Geminite damage output is ridiculous. I kept asking "wait I can seriously do this at level 1?"

Geminite is the class I'm picking when Frosthaven comes out. I'm also considering Blinkblade as well, but man both look so cool.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm feeling the Bannerspear myself. It looks relatively less complex in cards but more complex in movement and positioning, which has always been my preferred angle for complexity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm astonished that there's not more love for the Blink Blade, it looks sweet and who doesn't love a nice time manipulation gimmick?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

I'm astonished that there's not more love for the Blink Blade, it looks sweet and who doesn't love a nice time manipulation gimmick?

It’s cool that nearly every class really strongly resonates with some type of play style, but yeah Blink Blade is my favorite of the bunch. The basic gimmick is already cool but then the cards that let you play an extra card or double your fast bonus seem like it will make it insanely fun to set up crazy turns with.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Wow the Voidwarden seems REALLY bad.

Is there something I'm missing?

Red Guard, Hatchet, and Demolitionist are solid though. Gonna just use a Deathwalker as my 4th.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Forcing monsters to move and attack each other are both really strong mechanics, and they have some decent control options on top of that - including a repeatable top disarm and a repeatable bottom stun at level 1 - so I'm not worried about the Voidwarden. I could believe their numbers are tuned low because they'd be too good otherwise.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That sort of gimmick can definitely feel underpowered when the monsters are weak, but it naturally scales up as the monsters get stronger so it's likely fine at higher party levels.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It also has a "strong actions with a downside" gimmick, but usually the downside is not that terrible and often pretty manageable. Also like a lot of controllers/healers/buffers better with more allies to target, so probably not the best as a 2 person JotL party.

Jabor posted:

That sort of gimmick can definitely feel underpowered when the monsters are weak, but it naturally scales up as the monsters get stronger so it's likely fine at higher party levels.

Most of the attacks are of the "grant attack 2" style so it's a set number anyway, but some enemies do get status effects which make it more worthwhile.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 29, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Trip report:

Deathwalker is really fun. I love the way it plays. More shadows = more better.

Hatchet is hilarious and fun. Can do a ton of damage with style. Literally has a card named Fancy Hat.

Drifter is really versatile. Forces you to make very interesting decisions. Can be manipulated into an xp engine.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My group finally came across one of the basic city events that explained a bit of Gloomhaven's lore (I think it was 26, the one that describes the Void section on the map). Spoiler for that.

The where it's mentioned that the Void is just a district in Gloomhaven full of black sand, that everyone avoids because it's like mad evil. You rescue a girl who tripped and fell onto the sand, and she's screaming in agony and you can only help her if you have Eclipse or Circles in your party, but she presumably survives if you try to save her. We've already established a headcanon that this girl grew up to be the Voidwarden.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Just made me realise that there are a bunch of city events that really should be expanded given the Subtitle / Frosthaven classes.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

I recommend doing them at level 6 because the difficulty level is the same but you have more hp and a better card.

The Cragheart solo is one of the hardest, if not THE hardest. Don't feel bad if you have to kick down the difficulty to beat it.

The Brute and Sun solos are really fun. The Sun solo item is ridiculous. Like "lmfao why does this exist?" ridiculous.

Oh and remember you get to keep xp and money from your solo failures. For more than one of them I had to buy/sell/trade items from the shop to make things easier. Don't be afraid to do that.

Just nice I was planning to do the solo scenarios for Sun, Eclipse, Angry Face. Are the rewards for the Eclipse and Angry Face worth using?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

alkanphel posted:

Just nice I was planning to do the solo scenarios for Sun, Eclipse, Angry Face. Are the rewards for the Eclipse and Angry Face worth using?

Eclipse's is as broken as the class is.

Angry Face's item isn't great but it's usable.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eclipse's is very, very good.

Angry Face's is 25 gold.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I kept Angry Face's because while there were other items that were better they were more expensive (or unavailable) and I had other uses for the money.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Kalli posted:

Eclipse's is very, very good.

Angry Face's is 25 gold.

Yeah this. And it sucks because Angry Face is my favorite class.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

wizzardstaff posted:

I'm not a thread regular but I popped in here to see if anyone had similar questions/suggestions. I'm aware of the Tabletop Simulator mod but it seems like overkill to me (who needs 3D physics to model a board game?) and it doesn't run well on some laptops in my group.

What I've been working on this week (haven't had a chance to put it into action yet) is a system for playing over Google Drive. The "scenario creator" files that Isaac released for custom content can also be used to assemble canon scenarios too, so I am recreating dungeon maps from the book as Google drawing files. It takes about 20 minutes to set up a map which is perfect timing for a video conference call at work. Everyone can open the drawing file and manipulate the tokens while maintaining their own perspective/zoom.

We're already using Gloomhaven Helper to replace most of the physical monster components, and there are abundant online campaign managers if you take a quick look. (I'm looking at this for the world map, this for scenario setup, and this for event decks.)

The trickiest part will be letting people manage their ability cards and attack decks. I found a good iOS app for attack decks, but nothing for Android and not much for ability cards. This is a good webapp for selecting a character's starting deck, but it doesn't really help during gameplay. I've considered throwing up a simple drawing file to represent a player's hand and letting players drag cards to different positions to represent loss, discard, etc. And if nothing else I can just get the physical decks to the players and let everyone manage them on their own.

I'm still going to be marking up the physical board with stickers and stuff because I hope we'll be able to resume playing in person someday.

We're having our first post-quarantine session on Saturday so I can report back on the experience then.

Thanks for sharing this. I’ve been trying to figure out how in going to run a game as well. Would you be willing to share copies of the Google Draw files?

I also found this https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2379085/gloomhaven-vassal-module it sounds like a viable option. I’m going to try and spend some time with it this week.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Did scenario #91 tonight. The NPC v NPC battles worked so much better here than the loving atrocious Town Square scenarios. With 3 sides (animals, bandits and living spirits) you had some interesting choices to make about who to attack and the scenario layout and goal meant you actually needed to fight things. We had a shocking road event that disarmed us on turn 1 and the Elite Bear nearly died on turn 2 thanks to an archer crit but we somehow pulled it together.

Music Note solo scenario item was okay, although I had to chuck a card on turn 1 and so lost a song. Certainly fun to play around with though.

Looks like we've got another 3 scenarios with Scoundrel and Music Note before we both retire and can start Forgotten Circles with a fresh team.

Who are the best 2P partners for Diviner? We'll have everyone but Lightning Bolt unlocked by then (Saw and Three Spears are unlocked by our current characters).

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Probably Sun.