Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chilling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I didn't like Fire Punch because 80% of it bored me immensely.

Got to hand it to Chainsawman. If it's anything, it is definitely not boring.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Okay Makima with the arms is really cool, I totally didn't notice that. I remain super interested in what Makima's deal is when she's showing multiple techniques, regeneration, and is someone you need the power of a primal fear on the level of Darkness Devil to deal with.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
She's mysterious, powerful, alluring, never quite sure if she's on your side or not...

She's the Women devil, channeling the fear of nerds everywhere.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Elfface posted:

She's mysterious, powerful, alluring, never quite sure if she's on your side or not...

She's the Women devil, channeling the fear of nerds everywhere.

The She devil, literally.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Interesting that they need the help from a Primal devil, who are devils that are apparently way more powerful than the Gun Devil, to kill Makima. Raises the question of why can't Makima just kill the gun devil by herself and why does she choose to/have to report to those big wigs in Kyoto?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

yum posted:

Interesting that they need the help from a Primal devil, who are devils that are apparently way more powerful than the Gun Devil, to kill Makima. Raises the question of why can't Makima just kill the gun devil by herself and why does she choose to/have to report to those big wigs in Kyoto?
For shits 'n giggles, would be my guess? Makima strikes me as the kind of person who would do that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m questioning the devil power rankings where Darkness is a never been killed primal devil, but Violence isn’t. I’m gonna need to see a chart.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Violence should be a primal devil but maybe nowadays it's just so common and banal it lost it's power on the human mind

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

For shits 'n giggles, would be my guess? Makima strikes me as the kind of person who would do that.

On the other hand, Makima seems to dislike her bosses, with the time she had some beers with the 4th being one of the happiest times she's had recently. (She said it in front of people who'd all be dead shortly, so it's more likely to be sincere than her average).

Makima's crazy bullshit, but Gun Devil's been powering up like crazy on Earth. I can believe that she doesn't think she could take it down herself.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

Violence should be a primal devil but maybe nowadays it's just so common and banal it lost it's power on the human mind

We do know that the violence devil is strong (that what the mask is for), but it seems reasonable to suppose that even without the mask it's weaker than the gun devil. You could argue that there's a certain trade-off between scope and specificity; people fear violence, but they probably generally fear it primarily in more specific terms than an all-encompassing, abstract "violence." The violence devil has to compete for mindspace with the gun devil and the bomb devil and the sword devil, and probably also with the war devil and the crime devil and the knife devil and the punching devil and the strangulation devil.

On the other hand, people (especially children) really do have a deep-seated fear of darkness qua darkness.

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

ZZZorcerer posted:

I was thinking about this recently too. Ultimately I figured violence could be considered like a subset of the more primal fear of death.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

wanna see what kinda hosed up design the God Devil would have

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

ZZZorcerer posted:

I think it's kind of the reverse. If primal fears are things that go back to "caveman" times then violence between people would have been extremely common and a normal part of everyone's lives. Obviously people would have been afraid of losing a fight or of getting hurt, but a fear of violence happening would be more modern; if you are walking down the street and a fight breaks out, it's scary even if no-one's in danger of serious injury because for most people it's very rare.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's also partially how much it's in the public consciousness I think, right?

Ask people what they're scared of and very few would think to say violence, I bet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's possible that makima has no particular interest in killing the gun devil. alternately, just because makima herself is apparently incredibly difficult to kill, that doesn't mean she can kill anything or anyone with ease.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's possible that makima has no particular interest in killing the gun devil. alternately, just because makima herself is apparently incredibly difficult to kill, that doesn't mean she can kill anything or anyone with ease.

Makima's been making a special task force to kill the Gun Devil, has been seeking out pieces of the Gun Devil and using them to track it, and has been manipulating Denji to kill the Gun Devil.

I think, for all the ambiguity around Makima, "Wants to kill the Gun Devil" is something we can be reasonably sure about.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I think it's kind of the reverse. If primal fears are things that go back to "caveman" times then violence between people would have been extremely common and a normal part of everyone's lives. Obviously people would have been afraid of losing a fight or of getting hurt, but a fear of violence happening would be more modern; if you are walking down the street and a fight breaks out, it's scary even if no-one's in danger of serious injury because for most people it's very rare.

Perhaps that fear is shared between between a devil of violence and a devil of people with the potency of the fear split between all the aspects involved , perhaps also add the devils of weapons which are used to commit violence or devils of emotions that may lead to violence. The same could be said of darkness I guess with a fear of night maybe but there are many facets of violence that humanity fears which probably have their own devils, so maybe violence itself is not as strong as its individual parts.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Violence is also a fiend (/devilman) which generally seem to be weaker than a full devil iirc

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Santa is going to be so disappointed when her new powers fail against Makima

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Yeah, violence has been super normalized. Cartoons have violence in them. Kids play-fight from a young age. People encourage controlled violence such as through competitive combat sports.

Darkness on the other hand still makes you feel uneasy even in modern society.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

chiasaur11 posted:

Makima's been making a special task force to kill the Gun Devil, has been seeking out pieces of the Gun Devil and using them to track it, and has been manipulating Denji to kill the Gun Devil.

I think, for all the ambiguity around Makima, "Wants to kill the Gun Devil" is something we can be reasonably sure about.

Well... interested in finding the Gun Devil, yes. But maybe she actually wants to contract it? Marry it? Some other twist?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i get the feeling that there was a complex web of long standing plots and grudges which was then thoroughly disrupted by denji showing up. no one predicted denji's existence. no one's entirely sure of what to do with him, even though denji is completely content to be a piece rather than a player. makima seems content to use him as bait, and everyone else wants his heart because it is somehow valuable. i guess santa just demonstrated one way his heart could be used, but it's possible there are others.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

i get the feeling that there was a complex web of long standing plots and grudges which was then thoroughly disrupted by denji showing up. no one predicted denji's existence. no one's entirely sure of what to do with him, even though denji is completely content to be a piece rather than a player. makima seems content to use him as bait, and everyone else wants his heart because it is somehow valuable. i guess santa just demonstrated one way his heart could be used, but it's possible there are others.

Makima seems to be the one who's been doing the most Denji related planning. She even has a scene with her bosses where they criticize her for getting too attached to him.

Denji's bait, but he's also been shown to be a big part of whatever her long game is. She knows about the chainsaw sound, after all.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I lost the ability to take the Darkness Devil seriously when I saw a comment that its stance reminded them of Carl from ATHF
e:

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

The big question then is why is Denji so important? Is there something special about a devil willingly merging with the heart of a human? As far as fear goes a chainsaw devil seems pretty minor relative to other fears, but then Angel mentioned the last thing devils hear is the revving sound. Also we got that brief weird flashback of Denji and the doors some time ago. Who the heck knows.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's probably the chainsaw devil itself that is important, not the chainsaw devilman. that would explain why everyone wants his heart. it's certainly not the specific human who became the chainsaw devilman. no one gives a poo poo about denji.

as for why it is such a big deal in hell, it might be that the chainsaw devil is just really good at loving up other devils and does so constantly. not everything has to be about power levels.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Maybe the fact that other devils fear the Chainsaw devil plays into his power. :shrug:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

it's probably the chainsaw devil itself that is important, not the chainsaw devilman. that would explain why everyone wants his heart. it's certainly not the specific human who became the chainsaw devilman. no one gives a poo poo about denji.

as for why it is such a big deal in hell, it might be that the chainsaw devil is just really good at loving up other devils and does so constantly. not everything has to be about power levels.

Reze liked Denji.

And Poochita really likes Denji!

Even power is interested in Denji('s blood).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

it might be that the chainsaw devil is just really good at loving up other devils and does so constantly.
I've played Doom and this checks out

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Chainsaw Devil power comes from the collective fear of every tree that has ever been cut on this planet

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Most outlandish thing I can think of: What if the chainsaw devil was originally a gear in the reincarnation machine?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Archenteron posted:

I lost the ability to take the Darkness Devil seriously when I saw a comment that its stance reminded them of Carl from ATHF
e:
"eyyy chainsaw man, it's frickin dark over hea"

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope it’s something stupid like “Chainsaw” is just an approximation and it’s really a crazy fear like the fear of the inevitable march of time that wears down everything which manifests physically as a chainsaw.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
It's going to be something related to movies like the release of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre in 1970s made the entire world collectively fear chainsaws or something since Fujimoto has such a hard-on for films especially Western ones

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Maybe Pochita is actually the devil of death but took a less directly frightening form to try to learn something about humans or something. Death is obviously going to come into play somewhere in the series and probably be the strongest devil. My assumption right now is that Makima has some sort of connection to it.

Edit: Now I want to see the other primal fears. Death, the unknown, isolation, disease, and loss should all be interesting.

HerraS posted:

wanna see what kinda hosed up design the God Devil would have

I actually kinda think Makima may be that now that you mention it likely exists. She says she loves humans and is working to protect them, but she has no problem killing them when it advances her goals (which she says are to protect humanity) and nobody particularly trusts her but they don't feel they have much choice.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 2, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Can’t wait for the Existential Dread devil.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Public Speaking Devil

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The Mondays devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum