Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Did anyone catch the entire whispered conversation the orb had with the inquisitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Finishing Rites of Passage right before that episode of Astartes came out...I'm riding a really intense 40k high right now.

Z the IVth posted:

Did anyone catch the entire whispered conversation the orb had with the inquisitor?

Ditto

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

It revealed the secret of the wu tang clan so his skull had to be caved in

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SardonicTyrant posted:

Could have sworn each stud was 50 years.
I remember them being 10 and 25 at different points too. Depends on Chapter/author/day of the week.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

X

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I loved the Hollow Mountain but at one point an imperial fist compliments a human and uh

That would not happen in real life

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arquinsiel posted:

I remember them being 10 and 25 at different points too. Depends on Chapter/author/day of the week.

So it's a century each. :colbert:

Someone managed to transcribe all the dialogue, but I can't find it in the absolute torrent of comments on YouTube.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

gently caress that was really good

Donating to this guy’s pattern now

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

So it's a century each. :colbert:

Someone managed to transcribe all the dialogue, but I can't find it in the absolute torrent of comments on YouTube.

A couple of Youtube commenters did the following transcription.

Spiked sphere: Who's here?
Captured sphere: I have failed brother
Spiked sphere: We have all failed, brother, we have all failed. The astartes deny our touch. You must return, break your seals.
Captured sphere: We will never survive
Spiked sphere: You must take them.
Alpha psycher inquisitor: RETURN THEM IMMIDIATELY! RETURN THEM IMMIDIATELY!

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

euphronius posted:

I loved the Hollow Mountain but at one point an imperial fist compliments a human and uh

What? I mean, certain chapters are high on the smell of their own poo poo (metaphorically) but others are pretty kind to the people they are protecting. I mean, a Salamander would definitely do it, and I could see an Imperial Fist doing it as well, since I'd imagine their longstanding, being the best at making and protecting fortresses mindset would allow for positive feelings about the people they are supposed to die to protect.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
An Imperial Fist would only compliment a well built and well maintained fortification.

A human being is not a well built and well maintained fortification.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Spinoza carries an Imperial Fist crozius arcanum as a weapon, with grav thingies so she can wield it. And not just any crozius arcanum but an IF chapter relic gifted to her by the head chaplain of the fists. It's why she is able to summon them at one point. This itself is the ultimate compliment. Wraight wrote a companion short story about what she did to earn it. Iirc the story is called Argent.

The guy that gets complimented (if we are thinking of the same thing) has pushed himself beyond all human endurance. The fists are hyper focused on duty with little compassion, but when they see the same in a human they recognize it. There is more than one compliment given to a baseline human by a Fist in the SoT series. It's a huge deal, and rare, but it happens.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

VanSandman posted:

I LOVE their interpretation of the nearly mechanical, barely restrained ultra-violence of the Astartes. Efficient movements and zero hesitation.

Not their, but _his_. It's all made by one person, which is absolutely incredible

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/RoachCoach67/status/1245858350849331201

gently caress Erebus. :colbert:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Erebus is the worst

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's actually kind of amazing how awful Erebus is. In a civilization of trillions, he wins the gold ribbon for being the worst. That takes dedication to being a complete piece of poo poo.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Is he alive in regular 40k? I know KP and Typhon, who are similarly awful, are still around.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Yeah, he's mentioned a lot in Apocalypse by Josh Reynolds. A Word Bearers warband has their loyalties split between him and KP.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

yeah the word bearers omnibus has him still around. He seems smarter than KP overall

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
It will never stop being funny to me that the Emperor was like "yeah we'll turn your lovely old dad into a post-human warmachine" for Lorgar, but couldn't be assed to spend 2 minutes killing Angron's slave masters. Angron is as justified as he is unstable.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 3, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of Word Bearers and KP/Erebus being shits, I've been reading through The First Heretic as I wait for the end of the worldpandemic.

Man, the WB kinda go 0-60 on the whole corrupt heretic thing. And it's not even just some spur-of-the-moment thing like with Horus or the Death Guard, or some long term manipulation like with Magnus and the TSons, just straight from "Let's look at these other people's faiths" to "THE SCREAMING IN MY HEAD WILL NEVER STOP!!!!!"

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Marin Karin posted:

It will never stop being funny to me that the Emperor was like "yeah we'll turn your lovely old dad into a post-human warmachine" for Lorgar, but couldn't be assed to spend 2 minutes killing Angron's slave masters. Angron is as justified as he is unstable.

It’s bizarre-there have been two books and two novellas about Angron, all of which were quite good, as well as a scene in Master of Mankind in which the Emperor is literally talking to someone about his plans for Angron, and there’s never been an explanation. I wonder if they’re saving it for something?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Technowolf posted:

Speaking of Word Bearers and KP/Erebus being shits, I've been reading through The First Heretic as I wait for the end of the worldpandemic.

Man, the WB kinda go 0-60 on the whole corrupt heretic thing. And it's not even just some spur-of-the-moment thing like with Horus or the Death Guard, or some long term manipulation like with Magnus and the TSons, just straight from "Let's look at these other people's faiths" to "THE SCREAMING IN MY HEAD WILL NEVER STOP!!!!!"

https://i.imgur.com/u4ptvHp.mp4

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I felt it's kind of long-term manipulation since it's established early on that (nothing here from past the first half) KP and Erebus secretly kept the "old faith" alive, which was really just chaos worship. Then they waited for Lorgar to have the slightest crisis of faith to take advantage of. The moment he gets yelled at by daddy, they knock on his door together and ask him if he's heard the good word. Lorgar hears voices pre-corruption, but that's just the raw deal behind being psychic and never being told "Hey boys, careful because there's malevolent entities out there that are gonna seep into your mind." The seeds were there, and Lorgar was too charismatic for his own good so every WB would follow him down whatever path he took.

The book made me like Lorgar because he didn't fit into the toxic masculinity of the astartes lifestyle, knew that and never pretended to so he could focus on what he did enjoy, and was hated by his family for it. I saw him as an artsy son with a lovely football dad who dismisses his son's achievements and WHY CAN'T YOU BE LIKE DORN *throws beer bottle against the wall*

I began to like the Word Bearers a lot... outside of the dynamic duo leading them now. I hope to see a Lorgar 40k model now that he's done painting his Menoth army in the warp.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 3, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I gotta say, it's been very interesting choice to have the audience not privy to any dialogue in these Astartes shorts. Not from the marines or their victims. Just the ominous orb speech and the muffled yelling of the Inquisitor through his helmet.

Since it's the work of one guy I can understand the limitations of not being able to get a full cast of voice actors but they've been able to really make it into a strength.

e;
Would you all consider the psychic orb speech as diegetic? I would.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
One thing i like about roboute guilliman coming back is him going "why the gently caress didn't dad tell us about daemons"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

One thing i like about roboute guilliman coming back is him going "why the gently caress didn't dad tell us about daemons"

Even better. He knows deep down he is at least part demon too.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So the word "part" can also mean "entirely" ?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Speaking of Angron and why Big E decided to yank him out of there rather than defeating the slavemasters, there's a theory bopping around the various 40k lore discussion areas that Big E drove a wedge between himself and Angron intentionally.

The two main points brought up are that he may have been aware that something like the Heresy was coming (see the short story The Board Is Set) and may have planned to yield some of the Primarchs to the Chaos Gods in exchange for something (see the mystery around what the hell he was doing on Molech with its portal to the warp, decades before the Heresy). Angron pre-Nails was a champ, but clearly broken post-Nails, and when Istvaan rolled around, his own (loyalist) sons were like "Yeah we've known for a while our dad is ruined, we're going to take him down or die trying". Every loyalist on Istvaan except for the World Eaters beat a retreat from Angron's arrival, the World Eaters charged.

Big E may have then basically offered up Angron as a sacrifice, maneuvering things so the traitors were stuck with a broken Primarch during the Heresy. Or rather, an additional broken Primarch, given that Perturabo seems to be the only one worth a poo poo during the Siege :v:

MariusLecter posted:

So the word "part" can also mean "mostly" or "almost entirely" ?

Honestly, even the most non-Warp inclined (as far as actively using Warp juju) Primarch is basically a fleshy shell for a warp entity.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pyrolocutus posted:

Honestly, even the most non-Warp inclined (as far as actively using Warp juju) Primarch is basically a fleshy shell for a warp entity.

Yeah, edited my post to reflect that.

Especially after remembering the Psychic Awakening stuff about Corax.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

I gotta say, it's been very interesting choice to have the audience not privy to any dialogue in these Astartes shorts. Not from the marines or their victims. Just the ominous orb speech and the muffled yelling of the Inquisitor through his helmet.

Since it's the work of one guy I can understand the limitations of not being able to get a full cast of voice actors but they've been able to really make it into a strength.

e;
Would you all consider the psychic orb speech as diegetic? I would.

I think it was the twin alien??? Psykers talking ??

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

That's why I'm convinced Lorgar is going to pack the demon horns back into his skull and come back to the imperium as the new eccelciarch to troll Gulliman

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The fate of the thunder warriors makes me assume that a horus heresy type event was planned to replace the astartes but it went down wrong/too early

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Noblesse Obliged posted:

That's why I'm convinced Lorgar is going to pack the demon horns back into his skull and come back to the imperium as the new eccelciarch to troll Gulliman

Assuming he manages to make it back to Terra without Corax finishing what he started on Istvaan/continued on Monarchia.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The one handed Marine on the death planet is probably hosed

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Did the plasma blast he shot into the thing destroy that energy tentacle nexus thing flinging his brothers all over?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Did the plasma blast he shot into the thing destroy that energy tentacle nexus thing flinging his brothers all over?

looks he failed his "Gets Hot!" roll and blew his arm off rather than beat the sphere.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I think it may have been the Inquisitor (or his disembodied soul?) getting one last shot in - you can see that when he uses his psychic powers earlier in the video it manifests as a black smoke, which is what hits the tentacle thingy.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I think it may have been the Inquisitor (or his disembodied soul?) getting one last shot in - you can see that when he uses his psychic powers earlier in the video it manifests as a black smoke, which is what hits the tentacle thingy.

In a youtube reaction video chat some were saying it was a Never Born that chomped on the psychic alien orb thing? while in the warp but lol the Inquisitor getting their revenge sounds cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

euphronius posted:

The one handed Marine on the death planet is probably hosed

So are a lot of things on that death planet.