Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

But like...Freeza sells the planets, right? For money?

Who in the gently caress would make Freeza pay for ANYTHING? 99.99% of the universe can't lay a finger on him. And before Goku went super saiyan, literally no one alive could, short of Beerus and Whis, who don't give a gently caress.

I feel like Freeza just fell into the family business without actually giving it any thought.

Maybe he really wants to be an actuary or something.

Without money he won't be able to buy spaceships and he'll be damned if he's FLYING between planets like a peasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
But...if you’re a ship builder, and loving Freeza shows up at your door demanding a ship, who are you to say no? He’ll blow you and your whole planet up!

I guess too many people with “morals” refused to do his bidding so he needed a money stream.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's not about the money. It's about the power, the control, the veneer of civility over genocidal psychopathy. It's about the thrill of loving the weak over, controlling and inconveniencing their lives. Where's the fun if you just nuke everyone? Hurt them with a battle of REAL Power Levels - their bank account number.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

As someone who doesn’t read the manga and from everything I’ve heard, never will; any word on when/if Super gets a new... season?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Black August posted:

It's not about the money. It's about the power, the control, the veneer of civility over genocidal psychopathy. It's about the thrill of loving the weak over, controlling and inconveniencing their lives. Where's the fun if you just nuke everyone? Hurt them with a battle of REAL Power Levels - their bank account number.

So..capitalism?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

So..capitalism?

Yes, except Freiza is also the nuclear weapons.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nanigans posted:

But...if you’re a ship builder, and loving Freeza shows up at your door demanding a ship, who are you to say no? He’ll blow you and your whole planet up!

I guess too many people with “morals” refused to do his bidding so he needed a money stream.

Frieza is kinda like The Penguin from Batman in that he pretends to be refined while he's actually a crass psychopath. He's engaging in business to put on airs, not because he actually needs the money.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rhjamiz posted:

As someone who doesn’t read the manga and from everything I’ve heard, never will; any word on when/if Super gets a new... season?

None whatsoever. A movie is apparently in development but we haven't heard anything about it beyond "it exists" and that was a long while ago.

Also do read this arc of the manga! Everything before sucked rear end but it was because Toyotaro is a fanfic writer. Toriyama took over writing in this arc and it shows, quality has gone way up and it's been very enjoyable.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rhjamiz posted:

probably at least a year

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kild posted:

probably at least a year

Probably at least a year starting this fall, since Gegege no Kitaro is ending, being replaced with reruns, and then those reruns being replaced with the Dragon Quest Adventures of Dai anime sometime in fall.

And then that schedule depends on how long it takes for them to actually adapt the series.

And then that schedule depends on how hard Tokyo is about to get hosed by covid.

e: correction: I think it's actually getting replaced with the Digimon Adventure reboot, so we roughly know how long that's going to be now.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 3, 2020

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Again, Frieza apparently respected and loved his weaker father enough to wait until he inherited the family business, and if you’re polite enough with him he doesn’t mind you. He’s a psychopathic mutant monster, but above all, a businessman (but I repeat myself)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Was his father ever actually seen as weaker

I don’t think it ever really came up

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Was his father ever actually seen as weaker

I don’t think it ever really came up

So it's weird. All the outside material states that Freeza is a one of a kind mutant of enormous power even compared to his father, who himself is a mutant. But the only material in the series keeps talking about how Cold hsa a massive power level like Freeza.

The only thing I can imagine is that he's about as strong as Final Form Freeza, maybe, but not stronger than Freeza going all out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah that makes sense.

It's never stated that Cold's ki signature feels bigger or smaller than Freeza's, just that it's similar. So who knows.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I always assumed he was 2nd place to Frieza, but not by a huge margin - kind of the Vegeta to his Goku.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I always assumed he was stronger because he came later and it’s a shonen plus that line about only his dad had ever hurt him or something like that

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I mean, Goku also managed to hurt him before he became a Super Saiyan and he wasn't necessarily stronger.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

I always assumed he was stronger because he came later and it’s a shonen plus that line about only his dad had ever hurt him or something like that

No one ever treated him as stronger is the main thing, and outside sources actively say that he's weaker.

Visually he also looks weaker, since he's 'just' in Freeza's second form. Which might be his true form who knows

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Burkion posted:

No one ever treated him as stronger is the main thing, and outside sources actively say that he's weaker.

Visually he also looks weaker, since he's 'just' in Freeza's second form. Which might be his true form who knows

Kai and the old JP anime said he seemed a little stronger, but Freeza wasn't flexing any power then.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
King Cold is one of those things that answers a question nobody asked, and in doing so raises a dozen other questions nobody wanted to ask.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rudoku posted:

Kai and the old JP anime said he seemed a little stronger, but Freeza wasn't flexing any power then.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Freeza was weaker after being turned into a lovely cyborg. I don't care what the magazines say

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I still want to know if Freeza also had a mother or not.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I bet she was a total ice queen.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Boo!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blaze Dragon posted:

I still want to know if Freeza also had a mother or not.

No King Cold produced Freeza on his own.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

None whatsoever. A movie is apparently in development but we haven't heard anything about it beyond "it exists" and that was a long while ago.

Also do read this arc of the manga! Everything before sucked rear end but it was because Toyotaro is a fanfic writer. Toriyama took over writing in this arc and it shows, quality has gone way up and it's been very enjoyable.

That's good at least, Toyotaro's stuff sounded insufferable and I'm glad Toriyama took over. Means that if it gets adapted at least it will have been written by him.

Is the Toriyama stuff immediately post ToP or is there a bunch of stuff after ToP I'll have to skip?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhjamiz posted:

That's good at least, Toyotaro's stuff sounded insufferable and I'm glad Toriyama took over. Means that if it gets adapted at least it will have been written by him.

Is the Toriyama stuff immediately post ToP or is there a bunch of stuff after ToP I'll have to skip?

Immediately after the ToP, the current arc starts on Chapter 42 of the manga.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

King Cold is one of those things that answers a question nobody asked, and in doing so raises a dozen other questions nobody wanted to ask.

I like to think they reproduce by cuttings, like cacti. That's why they're monogender, why relatives tend to look like clones of one another, and why in Dragon Ball Online Frieza's Race could mutate by eating parts of their relatives.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

I like to think they reproduce by cuttings, like cacti. That's why they're monogender, why relatives tend to look like clones of one another, and why in Dragon Ball Online Frieza's Race could mutate by eating parts of their relatives.

Maybe Frieza's tail is sprouting on Namek from when Krillin cut it off!

e: nvm, probably got destroyed with the planet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Maybe Frieza's tail is sprouting on Namek from when Krillin cut it off!

e: nvm, probably got destroyed with the planet

I mean considering that Freeza survives the explosion of the planet with not any more significant damage than he had before it exploded it's entirely possible it's still floating out there.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The heart virus is actually a very tiny Freeza that grew from some Freeza pulp.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rhjamiz posted:

If it sounds insufferable based just off of this thread I'd give it a shot, the manga has some good stuff and I think a lot of people here aren't really willing to give Toyotaro credit for much. We're not talking about a super-long investment of time anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be honest I wouldn’t waste your time with the manga at least up to the current arc

It mostly feels like a cliff notes version of the anime so if you have seen that it’s mostly a waste of time

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Justin_Brett posted:

If it sounds insufferable based just off of this thread I'd give it a shot, the manga has some good stuff and I think a lot of people here aren't really willing to give Toyotaro credit for much. We're not talking about a super-long investment of time anyway.

Some of his ideas are cool. The false ultra instinct from Roshi, the swapping between God and Blue for speed/power. He also wrote in Dragon Ball Mario Kart as a funny gag. It's just that by and large, when compared the anime, his version was worse more often than not.

Trunks got to at least have one cool moment in Super the anime. He got to be Shin's bitch assistant in the manga with healing powers.

Though, I do forget. Did Trunks get to kill Babidi and Dabura in the anime too? If not, that was another cool moment in the manga.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It happened in both, but the manga went into how that all went down more.

And this is admittedly a personal thing but I don't really mind Trunks not getting to do the spirit sword in the manga now that we know how the arc was always going to end. I think that's more a criticism to make on Toriyama that he put both teams in a very weird position there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think it's pretty lovely that the Future Trunks Arc had nothing for Future Trunks to do and was barely about him beyond taking place in his setting.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Point of the Trunks arc was for the juxtaposition of him against post Buu characters. Like much of the anime, the slice of life stuff is what made it. Him meeting 18 and Krillen being all iffy about that meeting happy, him with his younger self, the whole hanging out with an older Gohan and being super happy about how he turned out were all fantastic. And I dont remember the manga having any of that.

Trunks getting to actually see the better future he created was everything, even if his turned to even worse poo poo

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheHan posted:

The heart virus is actually a very tiny Freeza that grew from some Freeza pulp.

hes from when he bit his tail

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The manga seemed to me like basically a draft of the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

It happened in both, but the manga went into how that all went down more.

And this is admittedly a personal thing but I don't really mind Trunks not getting to do the spirit sword in the manga now that we know how the arc was always going to end. I think that's more a criticism to make on Toriyama that he put both teams in a very weird position there.

But like it wasn’t replaced with anything. He got healing powers and healing powers suck in shonen