Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was it Alien or dark age tech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

euphronius posted:

Was it Alien or dark age tech?
These are the types of questions only a heretic thinks about. A true servant would shoot first, throw into the sun second.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

The fate of the thunder warriors makes me assume that a horus heresy type event was planned to replace the astartes but it went down wrong/too early

Wasn't one of Emp's plans was for Magnus to have Golden Throne duty?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Technowolf posted:

Wasn't one of Emp's plans was for Magnus to have Golden Throne duty?

A lot of moving parts to E's plans.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The fate of the thunder warriors makes me assume that a horus heresy type event was planned to replace the astartes but it went down wrong/too early

Yeah, all the Emperor's bad dad moments add up to this. When the Astartes' time was up, they'd wipe each other out and humanity gets the galaxy.

Except eveything went wrong. Magnus, yeah, but mostly imprisonment on the golden throne, which is the only thing he can't come back from.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

moths posted:

Yeah, all the Emperor's bad dad moments add up to this. When the Astartes' time was up, they'd wipe each other out and humanity gets the galaxy.

Except eveything went wrong. Magnus, yeah, but mostly imprisonment on the golden throne, which is the only thing he can't come back from.

Or can he? With the direction GW is taking things, I would genuinely not mind a 40K end times scenario that just continues to escalate. Big E sacrificing the whole of Terra to make a comeback, only to end up fighting the majority of the Imperium alongside loyalist primarchs including Rowboat Smurfman, while Lorgar, Magnus and maybe a few other traitor primarchs join the holy Imperium, as Angron and the Black Legion and others just continue to fight to burn everything down? That sounds good to me.

MariusLecter posted:

A lot of moving parts to E's plans.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'm kinda expecting an imperium/mechanicum civil war type thing to be a plotline at some point

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
When I was reading Dark Imperium I got the impression that Marneus Calgar (Ultra Chaptermaster) was feeling pretty resentful that Guilliman all but kicked him the the curve. I could see some civil war happening between the Primaris and vanilla Space Marines.

We also have a lot of loyal Primarchs that can still wake up or come back from the warp.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'm kinda expecting an imperium/mechanicum civil war type thing to be a plotline at some point

It really felt like they were setting that up as early as late 3rd or 4th edition with some of the Necron lore suggesting there was a C'tan hiding on Mars influencing the Mechanicus there. But then they re-wrote all the Necron stuff with the dynasties and poo poo, and now I've got no idea if the "The Dragon Waits on Mars" is still a thing they're doing or if it's gotten kicked to the curb along with the Star Child and the Squats. :shrug:

Ego-bot posted:

When I was reading Dark Imperium I got the impression that Marneus Calgar (Ultra Chaptermaster) was feeling pretty resentful that Guilliman all but kicked him the the curve. I could see some civil war happening between the Primaris and vanilla Space Marines.

We also have a lot of loyal Primarchs that can still wake up or come back from the warp.

I mean a powerful warlord being dumped back at base and told to "just watch the homeworld" while there's a war on is exactly what caused the schism among the Dark Angels that they still haven't gotten over, ten thousand years later.

But on the other hand, Calgar got converted into a Primaris himself after Abaddon ripped his guts out on Vigilus, and aside from Calgar being a little grumpy about missing the action none of the other Ultramarines, small or big, have expressed anything except worship for Bobby G, so I'd say it's pretty unlikely, even if I believed that GW has the balls to civil war their poster boy chapter....which I don't.

I'd be more inclined to believe the rumors that one loyal Primarch will fall and a Chaos Primarch will be redeemed, of which either Lion el'Johnson or Corax makes the most sense for the former, and either Fulgrim or Magnus for the latter. Or maybe Alpharius if you buy the whole "we've been double agents the WHOLE TIME" (along with "Of COURSE I faked my death") thing.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

The one handed Marine on the death planet is probably hosed

If you look closely his squad mates (or something) seem to zap into existance on the pillars in front of him right at the end. Maybe they can all become moisture farmers and start their own little kibbutz in the middle of the desert!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

jng2058 posted:

It really felt like they were setting that up as early as late 3rd or 4th edition with some of the Necron lore suggesting there was a C'tan hiding on Mars influencing the Mechanicus there. But then they re-wrote all the Necron stuff with the dynasties and poo poo, and now I've got no idea if the "The Dragon Waits on Mars" is still a thing they're doing or if it's gotten kicked to the curb along with the Star Child and the Squats. :shrug:

I mean a powerful warlord being dumped back at base and told to "just watch the homeworld" while there's a war on is exactly what caused the schism among the Dark Angels that they still haven't gotten over, ten thousand years later.

But on the other hand, Calgar got converted into a Primaris himself after Abaddon ripped his guts out on Vigilus, and aside from Calgar being a little grumpy about missing the action none of the other Ultramarines, small or big, have expressed anything except worship for Bobby G, so I'd say it's pretty unlikely, even if I believed that GW has the balls to civil war their poster boy chapter....which I don't.

I'd be more inclined to believe the rumors that one loyal Primarch will fall and a Chaos Primarch will be redeemed, of which either Lion el'Johnson or Corax makes the most sense for the former, and either Fulgrim or Magnus for the latter. Or maybe Alpharius if you buy the whole "we've been double agents the WHOLE TIME" (along with "Of COURSE I faked my death") thing.

I doubt we see a full on Mechanicus versus Imperium thing, there's been minor heresies in the lore which set up tripping such things off and they always, without fail, seem to get squished. I think the upper level of the Mechanicus in particular are less hidebound than they seem, even if they're not on Cawl's level of fuckery, and are aware of the Imperium's value as a source of manpower as well as the risks in setting off another civil war given the galaxy's current state.

As for the loyal versus chaos Primarch, I doubt either the Lion or Corax go over unless they're really willing to set the Lion up as loyal more to the Emperor's original vision rather than being willing to work with what the Imperium currently has on hand, or Corax being corrupted by his time in the Eye. I think the former would require him to blow off what is now a more reasonable Guilliman plus possibly the Emperor should he meet with him, and the latter is kinda weakened by Corax's motivations in the short story Shadow of the Past.

It's even trickier for the Chaos Primarchs because there's a question floating around of just what exactly becoming a Daemon Prince constitutes, with some folks thinking the original person is fully destroyed (or at least their soul) and the resulting entity is basically a warp puppet with their memories and motivations. The Daemon Primarchs might have some vestiges of their original essence floating around because they were already essentially Greater Daemons, but the aligned Daemon Primarchs would probably have a hell of a time "breaking" away from their respective Gods unless Black Library pulled some fuckery with the Emperor himself or something of a similar level.

I think the top candidates would be Alpharius/Omegon, followed by a resurrected Konrad, followed by the Fulgrim clone (who seems to have something that Bile's other Primarch clones didn't), followed by Lorgar/Perturabo (who as unaligned Daemon Primarchs might have a route to getting out, and doubly so for Perturabo if they decide to retcon his Daemon Primarch status).

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I keep seeing people referencing a "psychic awakening" where is that lore from? Also I've literally never read anything with Corax, is he in any good books?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
The primaris thing is so dumb. If you want to make actually true-to-scale marine figures, then just scale them up. The only thing the primaris narrative accomplishes is undercut a bunch of lore. Regular marines were already inhuman, larger-than-life killing machines—except now they don't seem that way, because we understand things like that relatively. Now they're just the "not Primaris ones." Hell, the idea that original 30k heresy marines were both more human and yet even slightly more lethal than modern 40k ones was also kind of a cool concept as well, but the primaris thing undercuts that, too.

The concept even undercuts what seems like the original intention, which is scaling up the models to actually be true to size. But if the primaris models are supposed to be even a tad bigger than regular marines, then technically they're not really true to scale either. They should have released primaris models but then said, "Oh yeah, marines were always this big; now the models just match the lore."

This is made explicit in a Malcador tie-in short story somewhere.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sextro posted:

I keep seeing people referencing a "psychic awakening" where is that lore from?
https://www.warhammer-community.com/psychic-awakening/

Right now it's all game and model fluff. Books come later.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That sounds good to me.

That would work, given how much of 30k has been establishing the Emperor as a heel. The reborn emperor would never be accepted by the Imperium of 40k, and it would be a huge shakeup to the setting.

But the idea of another End Times leaves a really bad taste.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

jng2058 posted:

I thiiiiink the dragon is still referenced but I figure if they do an imperial civil war it'd be less mechanicus vs imperium and more Cawl and his allies vs mars traditionalists vs the imperial zealots vs Roboute's imperium vs the imperium noctis type clusterfuck

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

I thiiiiink the dragon is still referenced but I figure if they do an imperial civil war it'd be less mechanicus vs imperium and more Cawl and his allies vs mars traditionalists vs the imperial zealots vs Roboute's imperium vs the imperium noctis type clusterfuck

There is a thread of traditionalist vs reformers in the new Watchers of the Throne book.

A conflict as old as religion lol

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

I doubt we see a full on Mechanicus versus Imperium thing, there's been minor heresies in the lore which set up tripping such things off and they always, without fail, seem to get squished. I think the upper level of the Mechanicus in particular are less hidebound than they seem, even if they're not on Cawl's level of fuckery, and are aware of the Imperium's value as a source of manpower as well as the risks in setting off another civil war given the galaxy's current state.

As for the loyal versus chaos Primarch, I doubt either the Lion or Corax go over unless they're really willing to set the Lion up as loyal more to the Emperor's original vision rather than being willing to work with what the Imperium currently has on hand, or Corax being corrupted by his time in the Eye. I think the former would require him to blow off what is now a more reasonable Guilliman plus possibly the Emperor should he meet with him, and the latter is kinda weakened by Corax's motivations in the short story Shadow of the Past.

It's even trickier for the Chaos Primarchs because there's a question floating around of just what exactly becoming a Daemon Prince constitutes, with some folks thinking the original person is fully destroyed (or at least their soul) and the resulting entity is basically a warp puppet with their memories and motivations. The Daemon Primarchs might have some vestiges of their original essence floating around because they were already essentially Greater Daemons, but the aligned Daemon Primarchs would probably have a hell of a time "breaking" away from their respective Gods unless Black Library pulled some fuckery with the Emperor himself or something of a similar level.

I think the top candidates would be Alpharius/Omegon, followed by a resurrected Konrad, followed by the Fulgrim clone (who seems to have something that Bile's other Primarch clones didn't), followed by Lorgar/Perturabo (who as unaligned Daemon Primarchs might have a route to getting out, and doubly so for Perturabo if they decide to retcon his Daemon Primarch status).

I'm still convinced Lorgar will return

He can still believe the emperor is a God. That doesn't conflict with his worship of Chaos. To him the emperor is just choosing one over the whole pantheon.

Also after ordering his people to go screw the 500 worlds he basically locked himself away for 10000 years and hasn't done much evil stuff.

Although Gulliman loathes him gulliman is the ultimate pragmatist and Lorgar sliding himself into the head of the exclisiarchy would leave him no choice but to play along

Plus it seems Gulliman may be coming around to emperor as a God on his own

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijg-4YBK_qs

New trailer for Angels of Death.

I hope they let Richard Boylan post it on his own channel as well. It's fun reading comments but Warhammer TV always had theirs disabled.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I'm still convinced Lorgar will return

He can still believe the emperor is a God. That doesn't conflict with his worship of Chaos. To him the emperor is just choosing one over the whole pantheon.

Also after ordering his people to go screw the 500 worlds he basically locked himself away for 10000 years and hasn't done much evil stuff.

Although Gulliman loathes him gulliman is the ultimate pragmatist and Lorgar sliding himself into the head of the exclisiarchy would leave him no choice but to play along

Plus it seems Gulliman may be coming around to emperor as a God on his own

I don't know, Lorgar is a willing pawn in the Great Game, I doubt he would ditch the gods, they are what he has always wanted, a bigger power to serve and worship. I don't see him switching sides at all.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
A cool angle for lorgar I always thought would be neat was deciding the pantheon needs a 5th and working towards ascending the emperor.

This of course would be a bad thing and an interesting conflict for the imperium as the ignorance and faith drove them closer to sacrifice ala the eldar. But also would give them living saints and miracles to hang on a little longer.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

I don't know, Lorgar is a willing pawn in the Great Game, I doubt he would ditch the gods, they are what he has always wanted, a bigger power to serve and worship. I don't see him switching sides at all.

He wouldn’t ditch the other gods. He’s just choosing which one he follows.

If he chose nurgle he’d likely battle with tzeench. If he chose Khorne he’d fight with slaneesh

He chooses emperor and fights all 4

Gulliman would let him be provided: he began believing in the emperors divinity and : lorgar convinced him enough that the emperor is the god for him and he will work for the continuation of the empire

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Noblesse Obliged posted:

He wouldn’t ditch the other gods. He’s just choosing which one he follows.

If he chose nurgle he’d likely battle with tzeench. If he chose Khorne he’d fight with slaneesh

He chooses emperor and fights all 4

Gulliman would let him be provided: he began believing in the emperors divinity and : lorgar convinced him enough that the emperor is the god for him and he will work for the continuation of the empire

So a reinvention/repackaging of the Malal stuff?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm pretty sure that the warp-being that started as the Emperor is already the chaos god of hubris.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Guilliman is probably still super pissed about Calth.

I don't see him accepting Lorgar under any circumstances.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

What would the Emperor be the chaos go of?

Stagnation?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Guyver posted:

Even if it meant schism of the empire when Ecclisarch Lorgar commands the faithful to fight Guilliman?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Zudgemud posted:

If you look closely his squad mates (or something) seem to zap into existance on the pillars in front of him right at the end. Maybe they can all become moisture farmers and start their own little kibbutz in the middle of the desert!

It's been beaten to death but the Astartes creator really nails the inhumanity of the Space Marines. Completely unflappable and single-minded. Hand blasted off, pulled through the warp and stranded Emperor knows where and they stand right up and keep on trucking. It's a conceit in his style of storytelling which means he can get away without needing character development, but not many authors can capture the same feeling even in the books. Abnett does it pretty well in Brotherhood of the Snake, but some authors end up portraying them like squaddies in power armor which is quite jarring for immersion. Space marines aren't really human any more. All their conditioning would mean at the very best they sociopaths. They should view baseline humanity in the same way you would view a pet dog.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Billy Crystal in full Princess Bride costume for Aemos.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Guyver posted:

Lorgar's probably still got a bit of a grudge over the whole Monarchia situation too.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Even if it meant schism of the empire when Ecclisarch Lorgar commands the faithful to fight Guilliman?

You are doubting the belligerence of someone who against all council went off to fight his warp monster demigod brother in single combat.

Twice.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Guyver posted:

You are doubting the belligerence of someone who against all council went off to fight his warp monster demigod brother in single combat.

Twice.

Right.....forgot about the rage thing he's always choking back.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

DirtyRobot posted:

The primaris thing is so dumb. If you want to make actually true-to-scale marine figures, then just scale them up. The only thing the primaris narrative accomplishes is undercut a bunch of lore. Regular marines were already inhuman, larger-than-life killing machines—except now they don't seem that way, because we understand things like that relatively. Now they're just the "not Primaris ones." Hell, the idea that original 30k heresy marines were both more human and yet even slightly more lethal than modern 40k ones was also kind of a cool concept as well, but the primaris thing undercuts that, too.

The concept even undercuts what seems like the original intention, which is scaling up the models to actually be true to size. But if the primaris models are supposed to be even a tad bigger than regular marines, then technically they're not really true to scale either. They should have released primaris models but then said, "Oh yeah, marines were always this big; now the models just match the lore."

This is made explicit in a Malcador tie-in short story somewhere.

Primaris marines make waaaay more sense after reading Saturine spoilers. Thats all I say and everythings pretty available on the wikis

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I had forgotten just how cozy the scenes on the Grimdark Orient Express in Hereticus were (before the shooting starts, obvs.), it's real :unsmith:.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Just finished Rites of Passage. I hope we get to see more of Chetty again, and this time it's just pure politics.

Guyver posted:

The Mark of Calth is still going, all these millenia later.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lorgar and Gila-monster-man have a HUGE score to settle.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Primaris marines make waaaay more sense after reading Saturine spoilers. Thats all I say and everythings pretty available on the wikis

Do you mean Sons of the Selenar? I've read both and Saturnine doesn't have any potential connections like Selenar does.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

MariusLecter posted:

Lorgar and Gila-monster-man have a HUGE score to settle.

The way you put this makes me think of a pro wrestling match between Lorgar and Guilliman.

D-Pad posted:

Do you mean Sons of the Selenar? I've read both and Saturnine doesn't have any potential connections like Selenar does.

Why must Black Library pull this fuckery with mass market retail coming so long after they release on their own storefront :smith:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Schadenboner posted:

I had forgotten just how cozy the scenes on the Grimdark Orient Express in Hereticus were (before the shooting starts, obvs.), it's real :unsmith:.

Honestly, those moments between the major action scenes are some of my favorite parts of the Eisenhorn books. You get a really nice feel for civilian life in those books than you do anywhere else. That there's rather less of those moments in the quicker paced Ravenor books is why, along with preferring to stay in first person to watch Gregor's deterioration from inside his head, is why I prefer Eisenhorn's books to Ravenor's.

Of course the quicker pace and the fact that you get more characters' perspectives is why my brother prefers Ravenor. To each their own, I guess. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijg-4YBK_qs

New trailer for Angels of Death.

I hope they let Richard Boylan post it on his own channel as well. It's fun reading comments but Warhammer TV always had theirs disabled.

Neat