Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
thinking about election season would make my head hurt seeing as how trump was the joke candidate for most of the 2016 election cycle and republican debates and that didnt even matter in the end. thinking about the election right now is like looking at a basilisk image (breaks your brain)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

"there's too many of you and the pandemic killing a ton of people is a net positive for the world" is fascist bullshit sentiment that should be banned and banworthy imo

must not visit cspam much

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, Pelosi's husband is a real scummy investor dude who's done stuff too.

Maybe those that got caught just weren't smart enough to have their spouse, or a anonymous lawyer/family member, handle their sales.

The thing is moving around you assets in response to rally obvious market movements is not a dumb thing. If you were paying attention at all to the news you knew there was huge huge potential for this to blow up as soon as January; China wasn’t going to shut down entire cities for nothing and the chances of the US coming away unscathed were virtually zero especially since obviously Trump wasn’t going to effectively contain things.

Given the legal structure there’s honestly nothing inherently wrong with moving around assets, in isolation. The real problem is if you take actions that show you know there’s going to be a massive health issue *and* publicly downplay it. If there’s record of Pelosi or Feinstein also downplaying the severity they should be treated same as Burr.

Really no politician should have assets in anything but a blind trust and if not being able to be hands on with their investment assets is a deal killer for being a politician to some people, all the better. But that’s unfortunately not the reality now and a smart investor should have and would have moved their assets around a bit depending on how they were situated.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

gary oldmans diary posted:

thinking about the election right now is like looking at a basilisk image (breaks your brain)

'Reckless': Chaos Expected in Tuesday's Elections After Wisconsin Republicans Refuse to Cancel In-Person Voting

quote:

"The whole country should tune in to what Republicans are doing now in Wisconsin. It's a preview of how they'll politically weaponize coronavirus on a national scale."

Like that? Or...?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

UnknownTarget posted:

Um...the Defense Production Act, if properly implemented, would actually allow the US to direct factories to retool to make certain items.

that's what I was referring to

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
its like when you look at that picture of donald trump staring at the eclipse and its pretty funny. but then you remember hes the president :psyduck:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

InediblePenguin posted:

"there's too many of you and the pandemic killing a ton of people is a net positive for the world" is fascist bullshit sentiment that should be banned and banworthy imo

I agree.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I have my absentee ballot coming tomorrow. I requested it weeks ago but apparently some of them have just not been sent out according to my city clerks office. Evers is trying to get everyone an absentee ballot. That'd be excellent. Voter fraud is bullshit and I voted absentee in Washington for every election.

The republicans are fighting tooth and nail to not postpone the election. And they're closing down polling places too. Milwaukee had 190ish or so and now I heard they have 5.

Everyone will be piling in those locations and spreading covid-19 everywhere. They're trying to discourage voting as much as possible. Trump recently said the quiet part out loud again a few days ago and said that if people vote then republicans can't win.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

thatguy posted:

I distinctly remember george w's september 11 job approval rating being like 92% or something ludicrous, and this they have to waffle and massage the question to even give him a bump at all
Which is all in all good news for all of us, except the Cult45ers.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I think I speak for all Americans when I say, “yoink!”
Can someone explain what this means? :)
Yeah i've been pondering what you even do with election season in a situation where people basically won't be able to go out for 1.5 years.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

InediblePenguin posted:

I gotta go do some work rn, but this is the first rule I put in the op? Bloodlust is probably worth more than a sixer but a ban seems excessive maybe a few days idk. Did I miss someone, thread moves fast, pm me if so.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have my absentee ballot coming tomorrow. I requested it weeks ago but apparently some of them have just not been sent out according to my city clerks office. Evers is trying to get everyone an absentee ballot. That'd be excellent. Voter fraud is bullshit and I voted absentee in Washington for every election.

The republicans are fighting tooth and nail to not postpone the election. And they're closing down polling places too. Milwaukee had 190ish or so and now I heard they have 5.

Everyone will be piling in those locations and spreading covid-19 everywhere. They're trying to discourage voting as much as possible. Trump recently said the quiet part out loud again a few days ago and said that if people vote then republicans can't win.

The Republicans are evil for not pushing back the election but Evers is a rules loving moron for just letting them do it. It's a moment of true crisis and a lot of lives are at risk. Instead of using his executive authority to mobilize the national guard to help this charade of an election go forward he should just declare an emergency and delay the election on his own authority. The governor of Ohio already did the same thing and somehow their state hasn't descended into tyranny and abolished the rule of law.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

Can someone explain what this means? :)

it means donald trump is going to try and steal it

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

I gotta go do some work rn, but this is the first rule I put in the op? Bloodlust is probably worth more than a sixer but a ban seems excessive maybe a few days idk. Did I miss someone, thread moves fast, pm me if so.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Yes, the USA directs how the entire loving world handles this.
Yes.
This isnt planet earth, its planet murcica.

You deserve this, theres way too many of you anyways.

*puts apple on burt's desk*

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

lol someone called for assassinating the president and you only gave them six hours, and thats actually illegal. why bother punishing anyone else with something higher than a 6er

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Subvisual Haze posted:

The Republicans are evil for not pushing back the election but Evers is a rules loving moron for just letting them do it. It's a moment of true crisis and a lot of lives are at risk. Instead of using his executive authority to mobilize the national guard to help this charade of an election go forward he should just declare an emergency and delay the election on his own authority. The governor of Ohio already did the same thing and somehow their state hasn't descended into tyranny and abolished the rule of law.

Wisconsin has a lot of restricting laws and Walker and the republicans stripped away some of the power from all future governors after he lost the election. I didn't read into it but Evers said "my hands are tied" when referring to what's going on with voting. He's 100% relying on the republicans to do something.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I suggest anyone asking for a big purge jump in the fire first... lead by example, we'll evaluate the results after your passing and see if it's right for us too.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Rutibex posted:

it means donald trump is going to try and steal it

Ha, if there even is a usa to steal it in 1.5 years.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/

Anybody see this? Cool comparison of a province by province or state by state basis.

Lots of charts to see what states are going to kill you because they are dumbfucks!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

stab posted:

https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/

Anybody see this? Cool comparison of a province by province or state by state basis.

Lots of charts to see what states are going to kill you because they are dumbfucks!

That's pretty neat. Retail is down 61% and work is down 34% in my city. Yikes.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Burt Sexual posted:

people that post stuff like that should be banned

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
good thing I stockpiled my drugs before quarantine finally hit.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

LimburgLimbo posted:

If there’s record of Pelosi or Feinstein also downplaying the severity they should be treated same as Burr.

Pelosi was telling people to go out and celebrate the Chinese new year by going to see family and going to parades at the end of January/beginning of February.

Yep, here she is:

quote:

Every Lunar New Year, San Francisco is transformed by the vibrancy and joyful spirit that accompanies this time of celebration. All San Franciscans look forward to joining with our AAPI friends and neighbors to enjoy longtime traditions, like the Chinese New Year Parade and countless other Lunar New Year celebrations.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 5, 2020

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

spacetoaster posted:

Pelosi was telling people to go out and celebrate the Chinese new year by going to see family and going to parades at the end of January/beginning of February.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/nancy-pelosi-visits-san-franciscos-chinatown/2240247/

quote:

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi toured San Francisco's Chinatown Monday to send a message. She said there's no reason tourists or locals should be staying away from the area because of coronavirus concerns.

"That’s what we’re trying to do today is to say everything is fine here," Pelosi said. "Come because precautions have been taken. The city is on top of the situation."

quote:

As Pelosi walked from the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory to lunch at a dim sum restaurant, she hugged friends and waved to onlookers. She downplayed the racism issue, saying she understands people are concerned about China – the epicenter of the novel coronavirus.

"But that shouldn’t be carried over to Chinatown in San Francisco," she said. "I hope that it’s not that. But all I can say is, 'I’m here.' We feel safe and sound, so many of us coming here."

February 24th

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
IDGI, what’s the difference between herd immunity and doing nothing. Just sounds like a whitewashed way to say do nothing.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

IDGI, what’s the difference between herd immunity and doing nothing. Just sounds like a whitewashed way to say do nothing.
herd immunity is enough people becoming immune (the concept as an intention rather than coincidence applies to vaccination) that enough of the incidences where a pathogen would have been transmitted fail that the pathogen ultimately becomes extremely limited in its ability to traverse through a population

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shaocaholica posted:

I think you can gain herd immunity over time. So you don't have to get people killed RIGHT NOW

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's pretty neat. Retail is down 61% and work is down 34% in my city. Yikes.

Movement trends, not sales, using googles big data you know where they dont give a gently caress about your privacy.

And its compared to the baseline traffic before this poo poo started.

Provinces that have doubled the use of parks...wtf are you doing assholes stay inside

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Doing nothing means a tsunami of patients overwhelms the hospital immediately, resulting in a like, 20% mortality rate, estimated. You can however aim for herd immunity by slowly infecting more and more people and only have the 5% mortality rate that appears to be the norm if people get proper treatment.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVIGhz3uwuQ&t=200s
visually (also the rest of the video is very good considering how short it is)

its really too bad vox was content to advise not bothering with masks and later quietly took that down and pretended it never happened (and pointed out that they bought masks during that time like any responsible person shouldve)

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 5, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mithaldu posted:

Doing nothing means a tsunami of patients overwhelms the hospital immediately, resulting in a like, 20% mortality rate, estimated. You can however aim for herd immunity by slowly infecting more and more people and only have the 5% mortality rate that appears to be the norm if people get proper treatment.

How is this any different from what the US/UK is doing already? People are still getting infected and recovered. The hospitals aren’t overrun completely and everyone is told to ‘flatten the curve’ but this is not(?) practicing herd immunity?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

Maybe.

This is all based on models that are based on lots of assumptions and tiny scraps of contradictory data. It could be significantly worse or better than any particular model predicts.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1246816324363276295

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Hey Burt. I know this is going to end up with me probated/possibly banned but I still think it should be said. The people with the bloodlust aren't great, but are understandable. There's a reason for that bloodlust people are loving frustrated at politicians/"boomers"/whatever who just seem to want them to die so that they can make more money.

You know what's worse though? It's the lovely assholes who pretend to be concerned by it and bait out those posts. Yet you do nothing about those. Why is that? Do you need examples? Is it because they don't make it crystal clear what they're doing and you can pretend it's a "joke" or a real desire for discussion? If you want there to be less bloodlust posts don't just probate for bloodlust posting, also probate the assholes who are instigating them. Yeah yeah I know backseat modding at least this time that's clearly what I'm doing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Edit: Wow Burt is a loving idiot. "The people with the bloodlust aren't great, but are understandable." Does not in anyway mean I'm advocating bloodlust you dumb gently caress.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 6, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

How is this any different from what the US/UK is doing already? People are still getting infected and recovered. The hospitals aren’t overrun completely and everyone is told to ‘flatten the curve’ but this is not(?) practicing herd immunity?
You said "doing nothing", so i assumed you meant "not doing social distancing, lockdowns, etc.".

Realistically the other option to herd immunity is "extreme lockdowns and restrictions until cure+vaccine available", which is the opposite of doing nothing. :)

gary oldmans diary posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVIGhz3uwuQ&t=200s
visually (also the rest of the video is very good considering how short it is)

its really too bad vox was content to advise not bothering with masks and later quietly took that down and pretended it never happened (and pointed out that they bought masks during that time like any responsible person shouldve)
That video is amazing.

Also the woman who wrote the "lol no masks" article even wrote a followup two days ago stating that "maybe masks, we don't know yet!"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

herd immunity specifically requires immunity. instead of reducing the number of successful transmissions by an immune would-be host making the transmission fail, self-quarantining reduces the number of successful transmissions by reducing the number of possible transmissions in the first place

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

DuckConference posted:

Maybe.

This is all based on models that are based on lots of assumptions and tiny scraps of contradictory data. It could be significantly worse or better than any particular model predicts.

i'm not really going by modelling, but simply by basic recorded global numbers that tend to have a certain amount of stability, such as these:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

quote:

I'M COVERED IN JESUS' BLOOD
:psyduck:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Shaocaholica posted:

Countries like UK, the Netherlands and Sweden were originally going for herd immunity.
But after they started to realize their country was gonna get very 'Italy', they changed their mind. Except Sweden I think, which is still kinda on a 'løl, lets see how many old people this is gonna kill'-path.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

all those europeans who died in the plague should have just been christian so simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mrfart posted:

Countries like UK, the Netherlands and Sweden were originally going for herd immunity.
But after they started to realize their country was gonna get very 'Italy', they changed their mind. Except Sweden I think, which is still kinda on a 'løl, lets see how many old people this is gonna kill'-path.

Sweden has decided to go back on that literally today

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/sweden-prepares-to-tighten-coronavirus-measures-as-death-toll-climbs