Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Transmission is theoretically possible through contact with any mucous membrane. Much like an N95, eye protection is overkill outside of the hospital, but if it gives you peace of mind :shrug:

I'm not sure why eye protection would be overkill, though. It's easy to put on and practically eliminates a known infection vector. The issue isn't just aerosolized droplets from people being intubated in a hospital, it's also just accidentally rubbing your eyes after touching an infected surface or someone sneezing without covering their nose and mouth.

e: Sorry Mithaldu you're just posting way faster than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I can't wear eye protection because like horned lizards I'm one of the few horned up species that can shoot blood from them as a defense mechanism.

No I'm not proud of it. But I will if I feel endangered. Or if you're like, taking too long to check out or whatever.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Mithaldu posted:

Mildly related, here's Scott Adams advocating for war.

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1243170341133758465

Honest question, how actually effective and scalable is this drug. The data I've seen is just a small sample size coming from China and a TON of anecdotal evidence.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

Why is it overkill in e.g. a super market, where people will get up close to you, and where droplets cloud can hang out a good while due to the lack of wind?

A trip to the grocery store is maybe 1/1000th of the exposure as a 12hr shift in a COVID ED or ICU will be. That's why N95s and face shields are essential to healthcare workers but not necessary for civilians.

And the droplet cloud that's being studied is a model for airborne transmission. That doesnt apply to your eyes, or else the simple face shield that everyone in healthcare uses wouldn't be effective. The little droplets that shoot out of one's mouth for a sneeze or cough move in a straight line and they hit the floor fairly quickly.

E: wear the eye protection if you want, sure, but the OP mentioned wearing glasses already and the image of a goon in the supermarket wearing a homemade denim face mask and a pair of scuba google had me :wtc:ing

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 6, 2020

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

A trip to the grocery store is maybe 1/1000th of the exposure as a 12hr shift in a COVID ED or ICU will be. That's why N95s and face shields are essential to healthcare workers but not necessary for civilians.

And the droplet cloud that's being studied is a model for airborne transmission. That doesnt apply to your eyes, or else the simple face shield that everyone in healthcare uses wouldn't be effective. The little droplets that shoot out of one's mouth for a sneeze or cough move in a straight line and they hit the floor fairly quickly.

E: wear the eye protection if you want, sure, but the OP mentioned wearing glasses already and the image of a goon in the supermarket wearing a homemade denim face mask and a pair of scuba google had me :wtc:ing

Good to know my regular glasses or if someone wants to, sunglasses, are good enough

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ultimate Mango posted:

Why are people not picking up torches and pitchforks over this?

Why in the living gently caress are we testing animals when there aren’t enough tests for people?

Getting FDA approval to run medical tests on humans is complicated and time consuming. The test itself could probably be done in a high school chemistry lab, if they had the reagents and training, but those test results would not be allowed to be used medically. The labs that are certified have a huge backlog, so it takes 5 days to get the results back from a test that takes a few hours.

USDA is in charge of animal testing, not the FDA. Where was the tiger tested? The article doesn't say, but it probably wasn't sent to the CDC or other human labs processing covid tests because those take 5 days to get results back. An appropriate animal science guy with the right lab equipment could test those lions and tigers and get the test results back the same day. So they did.

My veterinarian is still open. Presumably the lab the veterinarian uses is still open too. So it might be faster for my cat to get test results back than for me to be tested and get results back because the veterinary system is not overwhelmed. :shrug:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HoAssHo posted:

Does anyone else feel like a bougie piece of poo poo getting groceries delivered? Why am I making this person risk their life so I can have almond milk? Like I'm too good to get my own groceries. ugh. What if I tip really excessively to the point where it's almost a little patronizing? Will that make it okay?

Yes, excessive tipping helps. Those folks wouldn't be working delivery if they had other choices, so they need the money. Poor people love being patronized when it comes in the form of big tips.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

I bet the tiger was murdered and COVID-19 framed. The zoo's buttler did it.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

I'm not sure why eye protection would be overkill, though. It's easy to put on and practically eliminates a known infection vector. The issue isn't just aerosolized droplets from people being intubated in a hospital, it's also just accidentally rubbing your eyes after touching an infected surface or someone sneezing without covering their nose and mouth.

I'll back down from this argument, I'm being kinda snarky for no reason. I guess I kinda take the "better is the enemy of good" position here. But then I have no idea what kinda health issues you or your loved ones might have that you have to account for so yah do whatever you think is necessary for your well-being. :cheers:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

HoAssHo posted:

Does anyone else feel like a bougie piece of poo poo getting groceries delivered? Why am I making this person risk their life so I can have almond milk? Like I'm too good to get my own groceries. ugh. What if I tip really excessively to the point where it's almost a little patronizing? Will that make it okay?

You're not a bougie piece of poo poo for getting groceries deliveted; it's in the public interest for you to stay home.

Ordering almond milk, however, puts you first in line for the guillotine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shaocaholica posted:

How exactly are the nutters framing how 5G is supposed to spread the virus? The microwaves can program your cells to make the virus with nothing more than the microwaves? Is this just a case for Poe’s law or people believe this over other nutter conspiracies about bio weapons labs in Virginia?

One explanation I've seen is that viruses just . . . aren't a thing. The electricity poisons the cells, which then die and expel genetic material. This free floating genetic material is what the tests detect, and obviously there is a lot more of it whenever electrification increases and lots of cells get poisoned. Sort of like if you detected stabbing wounds by noticing how much blood is pooling around the body, and then deduced blood causes stabbing.

In this paradigm vaccines not only don't work, they actively make things worse because the metal in the vaccine makes your cells more vulnerable to electricity.

Vakal posted:

And in 9 months there will be another baby boom outnumbering the deaths by probably like 10 fold.

One generation of boomers passes away, another generation of boomers is born. Time is a flat circle.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 6, 2020

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:

Facebook Aunt posted:

One explanation I've seen is that viruses just . . . aren't a thing. The electricity poisons the cells, which then die and expel genetic material. This free floating genetic material is what the tests detect, and obviously there is a lot more of it whenever electrification increases and lots of cells get poisoned. Sort of like if you detected stabbing wounds by noticing how much blood is pooling around the body, and then deduced blood causes stabbing.

To think we pay people to write science fiction and uncles on facebook are killing the game for free.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

A trip to the grocery store is maybe 1/1000th of the exposure as a 12hr shift in a COVID ED or ICU will be.
The whole "docs need it more" point is true, but seems not relevant to answering "is it overkill?" Seems like you guesstimate the risk to be very low?

And the droplet cloud that's being studied is a model for airborne transmission.
Virus transmission via aerosol from exhaled breath works.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

Aerosol hangs out in the air for a little while, so it seems to be a valid risk factor to me even for the eyes.

And the face shields for doctors are optimized for being useful, but also easily mass-produced. There's a tradeoff made here.

I'll back down from this argument, I'm being kinda snarky for no reason. I guess I kinda take the "better is the enemy of good" position here. But then I have no idea what kinda health issues you or your loved ones might have that you have to account for so yah do whatever you think is necessary for your well-being. :cheers:
Ah, that explains the position better. Yeah, i agree. All the "YOU MUST DO THIS MUCH AT LEAST OR IT'S WORTHLESS" things are counter-productive. Every little bit helps and there's a middle point where you're at 90% safety with little effort.

QuarkJets posted:

Getting double-checked is good. :)

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 6, 2020

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You're not a bougie piece of poo poo for getting groceries deliveted; it's in the public interest for you to stay home.

It got Chidi sent to the Bad Place too.

Remember this handy ditty:

Keep almonds unsqueezed
Your karma's a breeze!
But if almonds you bleed
On your soul demons will feed!

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I took the wife and kid to Honey Run Falls in Ohio yesterday, it was a clusterfuck. People were stopping to let others pass and whatnot, but it was still too close for comfort. Probably 200% visitors than on a day where people haven't been cooped up. This is a park, cross street, see falls kind of place, so it was hard to keep distance. However, there's a few, couple mile trails off the parking lot, and virtually no one but us was on it, so we hiked for a few hours with peace of mind and had a great time. I had to practically drive the wife, she's handling this ok, but still I can tell it's taking its toll on her.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I recommend not watching the CNN special on the ERs. gently caress gently caress gently caress. 10 minutes in and I had to shut it off.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
How do you even test a tiger? I feel like they would not be very receptive to having something stuck up their nose

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

How do you even test a tiger? I feel like they would not be very receptive to having something stuck up their nose

You do this, but with a tiger.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That's fair.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

no no no no no

no

no

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Recently learned that Big Herc619 from Prison Talk is an antivaxxer and coronavirus conspiracy theorist. Smdh.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I wonder if that's deep enough to trigger the puke reflex.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

If they're anything like house cats just give them a chicky nug and do it quick while they're distracted.

I'm not a tiger doctor though so :shrug:

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

Mithaldu posted:

I couldn't stop my eyes from squeezing shut after seeing this. Fuckin ouch.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

Also I hope everyone here is doing as well as they can. I am mostly a lurker but have been here reading along since the first post. Just remember we are mostly in this together. (As far as our economic system allows.)

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I've had a swab taken before, about a decade ago. They must have told me what they were going to do, but I don't think you can understand what is about to happen just from words. I was so sick, I barely wanted to move. I still just about strangled the nurse when she did it.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

Mithaldu posted:

I wonder if that's deep enough to trigger the puke reflex.

No, but the irritation to the back of your throat will make you cough. I had to have a test at the ER and it was not pleasant.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

pop punk posted:

I couldn't stop my eyes from squeezing shut after seeing this. Fuckin ouch.

Basically they push it in until it naturally stops... then they jam it another couple inches to really get to the back of the sinuses.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Facebook Aunt posted:

In this paradigm vaccines not only don't work, they actively make things worse because the metal in the vaccine makes your cells more vulnerable to electricity.

One generation of boomers passes away, another generation of boomers is born. Time is a flat circle.

Lol there’s no way the people who believe this made this up. I’m pretty sure all these conspiracy theories are just trolls.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

As someone who puts in their own nose stents for sleeping: Press your eyes closed. It helps.

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE

pop punk posted:

Also I hope everyone here is doing as well as they can. I am mostly a lurker but have been here reading along since the first post. Just remember we are mostly in this together. (As far as our economic system allows.)

Around 7 this evening here in Queens I suddenly heard what sounded like a stadium full of people cheering outside, which was weird considering the circumstances. I went out to my fire escape and there were people all up and down my block cheering, like a lot of people. I looked it up and apparently someone has been organizing city-wide cheers for "essential workers" and I'm a pretty cynical guy but it was pretty moving.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mozi posted:

Lol go gently caress yourself

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Science Rocket posted:

No, but the irritation to the back of your throat will make you cough. I had to have a test at the ER and it was not pleasant.

That's good. Not as bad as a stent that's too long then.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
https://mobile.twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1246623932767141890

It's been a while since I've loving despised someone as much as I hate this awful miserable human.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I really hope I already got the virus and just didn't get sick, for so many reasons, that included. If nationwide antibody testing becomes a thing, I'd sign right up just so I can hope I'd never have to have that done. Also to donate blood to help others if we get to that point. I really hope we do. I can't watch any news because I just end up crying.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

OpenSourceBurger posted:

It's been a while since I've loving despised someone as much as I hate this awful miserable human.

He also went "we didn't stop the economy for 6 mio dead from the Holocaust".

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

OpenSourceBurger posted:

I'm sure if he gets really sick he's just gonna stay home and let nature take its course, right? Oh wait just accepting death is only for other people, I forgot.

What a loving scumbag.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Picnic Princess posted:

I really hope I already got the virus and just didn't get sick, for so many reasons, that included. If nationwide antibody testing becomes a thing, I'd sign right up just so I can hope I'd never have to have that done. Also to donate blood to help others if we get to that point. I really hope we do. I can't watch any news because I just end up crying.

Yeah I'm just calming myself and texting with my gf and making plans for after this for disney. Being safe and smart is good but letting this shut wear you down is not how to live life.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I just want to bitch about my work situation. I’m in a northeastern state, and we are under a shelter at home order, but essential workers can go to work. I work for a company that makes medical products, but my entire facility is devoted to a product used in fertility medicine. I make stuff that has a 80 day expiration date, and the world won’t get back to normal enough for normal fertility doctors to be running again in that time.

The corporation that owns us is insisting that we may even need to increase production numbers. I’m hoping they will realize sometime this week that they should stop asking me to risk my goddamn life to make a product nobody will ever use before it goes bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DYING FOR TRUMP’S FISH MEDS