Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I found it funny that they sort of admitted they’d hosed up with that line in season 2 about Klingons deciding to grow their hair again after the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can understand wanting to put your own stamp on something and update what you see as a dated look, but man they completely loving whiffed when it came to that Klingon redesign. Nothing about it works in the slightest.

I mean L’Rell is practically loving blue and it looks so goddamn weird when every other Klingon we’ve seen prior has had a normal human-ish skin tone.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean the Klingons were always kind of Mongolians weren't they? I thought the orientalism was always there.

That doesn't mean you should turn it up to 11...

And yes, they're speaking the Klingon language created by Okrand. Supposedly, they're actually speaking it with greater accuracy than most TNG or DS9 Klingons - a lot of the earlier shows didn't pay much attention to Klingon grammar when translating lines and phrases. I'd argue that, while it's praisworthy that they put the extra effort into it, it may have just put extra pressure on the actors to get the pronunciation perfect leading to the awkward unnatural delivery.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I don’t think it’s a matter of the actors not trying as it is that everyone’s got a bad case of the Vito Corleones going on due to the loving hilariously over the top facial appliances. Lt. boyfriend certainly did a lot better speaking it when he wasn’t talking through eight pounds of latex.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can understand wanting to put your own stamp on something and update what you see as a dated look, but man they completely loving whiffed when it came to that Klingon redesign. Nothing about it works in the slightest.

I mean L’Rell is practically loving blue and it looks so goddamn weird when every other Klingon we’ve seen prior has had a normal human-ish skin tone.

I kinda figured the Grey Klingons were the only way you could have white actors play Klingons anymore without it being blackface. There is no way you could get away with Christopher Lloyd or J G Hertzler putting on brown skin tone nowadays.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Astroman posted:

I kinda figured the Grey Klingons were the only way you could have white actors play Klingons anymore without it being blackface. There is no way you could get away with Christopher Lloyd or J G Hertzler putting on brown skin tone nowadays.

That’s fair, I hadn’t thought of that. I still think some of them, like L’Rell or Kol, are too bluish-purple and it looks off compared to previous Klingons. Just make them all grey if that’s the intent.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Didn't they have some straight up caucasian Klingons occassionally? Christopher Plummer and the rest from TUC?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cynic Jester posted:

Brain damage is a hell of a drug. Please tell me you mean the first season and not the entire thing.

Everything except for "Exposé," which I've never seen and never will. Even the one about Jack's loving tattoos. :suicide:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Didn't they have some straight up caucasian Klingons occassionally? Christopher Plummer and the rest from TUC?

Martok, Chang, and Christopher Lloyd were probably the lightest skin Klingons we’d seen, but they still had beige-tan skin-tone makeup on.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So like what's the conversion factor for pantone to racism.

Calling this blackface involves some heuristics spitting out weird conclusions. Is this makeup darker than Herzler's natural skin tone? Yes. Is this white actor portraying a non-white character? I don't think so. There's pretty clearly a wide range of Klingon skin tones.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 6, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, white Klingons tend to have a ruddy complexion but very much don't have a skin tone that would look out of place on white people.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The Klingon Language in Discovery isn't garbled by prosthetics. (You can see this by how L'rell was able to speak perfect English in his scene with Lorca in Choose Your Pain, and later on that season.)
That's how it's sound according to the actual developed language, with some extra digital effects added.

It feels like they speak slowly because tlhIngan Hol is pretty dense in terms of meanings/syllable. In order to keep pace with the subtitles, they generally keep a slower pace.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You can invent any fictional reason or production reason for it but it still sounds halting and awkward.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
That's literally the language. It's supposed to sound halting and awkward.

https://www.kli.org/about-klingon/sounds-of-klingon/

quote:

The sounds of Klingon individually occur in existing Terran languages, but no single language uses the entire collection. Paramount wanted the language to be gutteral and harsh, and Okrand wanted it to be unusual, so he selected sounds that combined in ways not typically found in other languages (e.g. a retroflex D and a dental t, but no retroflex T or dental d)

If you want to read more about it in Discovery.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/72g6dt/is_the_klingon_language_in_stdiscovery_the_same/

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Astroman posted:

If it were the case that Klingons just never have what we'd think of as white skin, the obvious way to deal with that seems to be to not cast white actors to play them. Problem solved?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

xerxus posted:

That's literally the language. It's supposed to sound halting and awkward.

https://www.kli.org/about-klingon/sounds-of-klingon/

If you want to read more about it in Discovery.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/72g6dt/is_the_klingon_language_in_stdiscovery_the_same/

Well that's stupid. If somehow that was Okrand's Intention that it was a bad idea. Previous productions never felt bound by this idea that Klingon should sound halting and awkward. I'm skeptical of this idea especially since the quote you dug up to defend it doesn't contain it at all. Maybe you could find a quote from the red it thread?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Well that's stupid. If somehow that was Okrand's Intention that it was a bad idea. Previous productions never felt bound by this idea that Klingon should sound halting and awkward. I'm skeptical of this idea especially since the quote you dug up to defend it doesn't contain it at all. Maybe you could find a quote from the red it thread?

I got the wrong thread. I'm not a Klingon Language expert, so I'll defer to people who have spent thousands of hours learning it. And they all pretty much say it's the most accurate portrayal of the language in the franchise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/72ed54/speakers_of_klingon_how_correct_is_the_language/dni5nmt?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

quote:

gloubenterder
resident Klingon language expert
1 point ·
2 years ago

I'll agree that a few of the Klingons were a bit on the slow side, but Klingon was always meant to be choppy, with very clear divisions between syllables. Consider the earliest examples of the language:

Klingon battle scene from Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Used as the basis for the Klingon language

Kruge in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - Marc Okrand's first pupil, in the film that introduced Klingon as an actual language.

In this mini-documentary, Marc Okrand recalls a time during the filming of The Search for Spock where Leonard Nimoy complained that an actor had spoken a Klingon line as though it were French (which is to say, too fluid).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Did-eVQDc&t=896s

xerxus fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 6, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It is kind of weird to think about a fictional TV language being spoken inauthentically for forty years.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I will say, I do like the unintentional implication that regular Klingons speak like regular people, but T'Kuvma and his cult speak in this obsessively formal dialect that's technically more 'correct' but sounds awkward as hell.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Picard season 2 should be an unrelated to the normal universe story about Mirror Picard.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'd rather Klingon be random gibberish than sound terrible, taking the viewer out of the story.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean the Klingons were always kind of Mongolians weren't they? I thought the orientalism was always there.

But they'd moved away from it generally. From a more unique alien look in the movies/TNG, to a more Viking/Native/monomyth-warrior style culture in TNG/DS9. If you're going to then re-imagine the Klingons again and the thing you think you need to hold on to is their evil otherness, I don't think that says anything good.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

But they'd moved away from it generally. From a more unique alien look in the movies/TNG, to a more Viking/Native/monomyth-warrior style culture in TNG/DS9. If you're going to then re-imagine the Klingons again and the thing you think you need to hold on to is their evil otherness, I don't think that says anything good.

They weren't evil.

They were intensely distrustful of the federation and politically fractured. Paranoid and vulnerable one of them decided it was time to preempt the 'invaders'.

You constantly interpret disco in the worst light. This is all subjective but understand that not everyone shares your views or agenda. It's not a 'fact' that discovery reduced klingons to an 'evil otherness'.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

They weren't evil.

They were intensely distrustful of the federation and politically fractured. Paranoid and vulnerable one of them decided it was time to preempt the 'invaders'.

You constantly interpret disco in the worst light. This is all subjective but understand that not everyone shares your views or agenda. It's not a 'fact' that discovery reduced klingons to an 'evil otherness'.

Right. They're not evil, they're just...Al-Queda. Thanks for setting me straight.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Oh does everyone need to pre-empt every post with a big flashing "in my opinion" alert or is it maybe fair to assume that's blindingly obvious from context?

Also lol, the Klingons weren't "vulnerable".

They'd had basically no contact in the last hundred years, one zealot idiot deliberately lured and provoked a confrontation with Starfleet with the express intention of manufacturing a war the rest of the Empire wasn't interested in.

The vague justification of "losing their Klingon-ness" to the Federation wasn't developed at all and we saw little to no evidence of any real contrasts, division or general decay of their influence and power. But the Federation had nothing to do with it at all, again due to the lack of contact in a century. And T'kuvma unites the Empire under his leadership because...? He pre-emptively attacked a weaker opponent that anyone else could have also attacked but didn't bother with. We get speeches from Sarek about how only a great leader with a "profound cause" could unite the houses, but apparently skyping everyone and saying "hey follow me now" is all it takes. What even made T'kuvma substantially different from the rest of the houses? Who knows, we don't get to see that.

Burnham's actions were also inconsequential to the start of the war and the entire season is built from a rotten premise. The whole notion of making a matryr of T'kuvma also falls over since it was the insidious message of "we come in peace" they were supposedly reacting to as destructive to Klingon ideals.

Then T'kuvma, the only Klingon with any actual motivation (assumed motivation, it's not actually developed) is killed off straight away and the sole remaining Klingon with any connection (Voq) also disappears for the rest of the season only to be revealed as Ash the whole time in a ridiculous twist that accomplished nothing.

So if someone wants to describe the Klingons of Disco season 1 as a vague, evil "other" well I can't really fault them there. They were generic villains.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Burnham's actions were also inconsequential to the start of the war and the entire season is built from a rotten premise.

This also gets missed a lot, I think. Whether we're supposed to see her as doing the right thing or the wrong thing in the premier, the reality is we're shown what she's doing is inconsequential. Nor is it particularly unique from the actions of other Starfleet officers, like her Captain who decides strapping bombs to the bodies of the dead is a clever plan.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
You'd think a hothead idiot attacking the Federation unprovoked and (despite thoroughly outgunning them) getting merked in a daring raid would have endeared the Federation more to the Klingons. What if Voq and the rest of the followers were then engaged in an unsanctioned war for the rest of the season, trying to reclaim their lost honour? Causing division in the Empire (that we'd actually get to see) as their success draws support from lesser households, maybe?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cojawfee posted:

I rewatched with that torrent that recuts the show to put everything in chronological order.

This sounds like a mess. The flashbacks are always designed to be connected to the episode they're presented in.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Lizard Combatant posted:

You'd think a hothead idiot attacking the Federation unprovoked and (despite thoroughly outgunning them) getting merked in a daring raid would have endeared the Federation more to the Klingons. What if Voq and the rest of the followers were then engaged in an unsanctioned war for the rest of the season, trying to reclaim their lost honour? Causing division in the Empire (that we'd actually get to see) as their success draws support from lesser households, maybe?

In the pre-Discovery TNG-era Star Trek, I completely agree. Klingons know what Starfleet is about, and they know how Starfleet would react to things. T'Kumva acted the way Romulans would act, and I think you're exactly right that the mainline Klingons would laugh about it, invite Burnham to have a drink with them, scream over her captain's body, and fly off.

TOS Klingons weren't all "today is a good day to die," but more "I might not like you, but let's work together to escape and worry about the rest later" like Kang, or being sneaky like Kor or Koloth, getting people to pretend to be human to poison grain, or take advantage of weaker civilizations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MichiganCubbie posted:

In the pre-Discovery TNG-era Star Trek, I completely agree. Klingons know what Starfleet is about, and they know how Starfleet would react to things. T'Kumva acted the way Romulans would act, and I think you're exactly right that the mainline Klingons would laugh about it, invite Burnham to have a drink with them, scream over her captain's body, and fly off.

TOS Klingons weren't all "today is a good day to die," but more "I might not like you, but let's work together to escape and worry about the rest later" like Kang, or being sneaky like Kor or Koloth, getting people to pretend to be human to poison grain, or take advantage of weaker civilizations.

TOS Klingons are Russians, and Discovery Klingons are Muslims and T'Kuvma is ISIS/Al-Baghdadi.

Aside from breaking people when they try to rationalises why the themes in their stories are so different, this is part of why Discovery's resolution of 'they solution to the Klingon problem is to keep them permanently threatened with nuclear annihilation' is so problematic.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
If speaking Klingon in makeup in Discover was so hard, why didn't they just have them also record it in a studio without the makeup and dub over? It'd be extra steps but maybe it would've sounded better.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

Burnham's actions were also inconsequential to the start of the war and the entire season is built from a rotten premise. The whole notion of making a matryr of T'kuvma also falls over since it was the insidious message of "we come in peace" they were supposedly reacting to as destructive to Klingon ideals.

Then T'kuvma, the only Klingon with any actual motivation (assumed motivation, it's not actually developed) is killed off straight away and the sole remaining Klingon with any connection (Voq) also disappears for the rest of the season only to be revealed as Ash the whole time in a ridiculous twist that accomplished nothing.

Yeah, that was all really strange. T'Kuvma starts a war, but not much else. Voq's plan is batshit too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

thrawn527 posted:

This sounds like a mess. The flashbacks are always designed to be connected to the episode they're presented in.

It was quite a ride.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
It seems to me that Starfleet was totally ineffective during the war. The Klingons having a cloaking device isn't enough.

Obviously post-war Starfleet must have improved their fleet and training. Lessons that were lost by the time of TNG.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

I will say, I do like the unintentional implication that regular Klingons speak like regular people, but T'Kuvma and his cult speak in this obsessively formal dialect that's technically more 'correct' but sounds awkward as hell.

I mean, that's just straight up the difference between "Received Pronunciation" aka "The Queens English" aka "BBC English" and how pretty much anyone not an aristocrat actually speaks English in the UK.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Did they though? Worf's facial hair for example is still reminiscent of Mongolian roots. I mean I agree with you in the sense that Klingons sort of become their own thing, but I don't know if the influence ever left.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 6, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, that was all really strange. T'Kuvma starts a war, but not much else. Voq's plan is batshit too.
It was more of L'Rell's plan, not Voq's. Voq doesn't come off as very smart before he gets turned into a human.

Although it was never at all clear what the plan was with Voq besides to put him on Discovery and then activate his programming so he would I guess try and take over the ship? But he was still only one guy on a ship of hundreds.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Voq wasn't even smart as a human. Ash was pretty much just Human Ash imprinted over Voq. Whenever Voq took over, he did stupid poo poo like immediately expose himself as a klingon spy. He was dumb as gently caress.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cojawfee posted:

Voq wasn't even smart as a human. Ash was pretty much just Human Ash imprinted over Voq. Whenever Voq took over, he did stupid poo poo like immediately expose himself as a klingon spy. He was dumb as gently caress.
So of course he gets put in charge of S31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

So of course he gets put in charge of S31

When did this happen?