Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ras Het posted:

one has älykäs, "intelligent", which sucks poo poo, another has neuvokas, "clever" lit who has means or advice, which I like, and there's at least two more translations that I couldn't find on phone Google now

ty :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Not sure where to post this, but it seems like fairly important booknerd news

https://twitter.com/CoNZealand/status/1242705422546419713

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Buying some books online and I'm seeing some versions of books noted as "Mass Market" vs Paperback, Hardcover etc. What does that term mean?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Buying some books online and I'm seeing some versions of books noted as "Mass Market" vs Paperback, Hardcover etc. What does that term mean?

Mass market paperbacks tend to be smaller, use cheaper paper, and have smaller print in order to cut down on paper costs. This is to differentiate them from "trade" paperbacks, which are larger and have better-quality covers and bindings.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Selachian posted:

Mass market paperbacks tend to be smaller, use cheaper paper, and have smaller print in order to cut down on paper costs. This is to differentiate them from "trade" paperbacks, which are larger and have better-quality covers and bindings.

Thanks, guess I'll spring for the nicer versions then.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/AliWatkins/status/1245754925524619265

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Countdown to amazon buyout starts now

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

What's gonna happen for most people in that "followed a link from a website" scenario they talked about is they're gonna click the link and go to a new website where they need to make a new login with a new password and enter their credit card information all over again, and then they're gonna say "meh" and they'll go to Amazon, especially when they realize that a lot of books cost about twice as much when you buy them through Bookshop.

That aside, I've got no real interest in them until they sell ebooks, preferably with an option for a Kindle-compatible format that doesn't require me to convert via Calibre.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Khizan posted:

What's gonna happen for most people in that "followed a link from a website" scenario they talked about is they're gonna click the link and go to a new website where they need to make a new login with a new password and enter their credit card information all over again, and then they're gonna say "meh" and they'll go to Amazon, especially when they realize that a lot of books cost about twice as much when you buy them through Bookshop.

That aside, I've got no real interest in them until they sell ebooks, preferably with an option for a Kindle-compatible format that doesn't require me to convert via Calibre.

We get it, you loving love Amazon

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I was going to stop supporting this awful company but i just really want to pay for ebooks for some reason, even though it's incredibly easy to get them without doing that.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

How bad is it to read Infinite Jest while skipping the footnotes? I'm asking because the audio version just tells you the number of the footnote, and then you can (in theory) hit pause and read it yourself. Kinda meh. Otoh I understand coming up with an audio-friendly solution is probably impossible.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I don't know, and to clarify I don't have anything against audiobooks, but it's simply linguistically insane to say you're "reading" a book you're listening to. I'm not "reading" Chopin's Nocturnes right now

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm pretty sure you can read Infinite Jest, the book, as in written, and skip the footnotes.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

mike12345 posted:

How bad is it to read Infinite Jest

It’s bad

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Skipping the footnotes is the only way to read that book imho

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

really interested to know how they play 'wardin be cry' in the audiobook

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Khizan posted:

Buying a piece of walled in hardware that nobody else is allowed to deliver to and then complaining when other stores don’t support it really is next level bootlicking.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I'm surprised by the negative feedback to Infinite Jest, I tought the book and Wallace were well regarded in US culture. Anyway I'm two hours in and it's ok background noise while playing video games. One (ignored) footnote so far.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm staring to doubt your word choice re "reading"

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol you people

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mike12345 posted:

I'm surprised by the negative feedback to Infinite Jest, I tought the book and Wallace were well regarded in US culture

That's usually a good hint that a book is actually bad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i know im a little elitist but im also very open to new experiences. however. i have to draw a line: having an audiobook in the background while you video games is definitely not reading

anyway, its "cultured" if you retain at least some of it so who cares

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

If you’re listening to the book from speakers, you will never in a trillion years experience the novel. You’ll think you have experienced it, but you’ll be cheated. It’s such a sadness, that you think you’ve read a book, on your loving audio system

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I refuse to read the epics and instead pay an aoidos to recite them to me, AS THE GODS INTENDED

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Y'know, instead of listening to podcasts when I'm playing video games audiobooks might be a better idea.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Real hardcore readers listen to audiobooks while reading physical books to increase their page count

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
When you listen to an audiobook you cheat not only the book but yourself. You don't grow, you don't improve. You take a shortcut and gain nothing.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if i lick a book, is that reading

what if i'm a supertaster

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

mike12345 posted:

How bad is it to read Infinite Jest while skipping the footnotes? I'm asking because the audio version just tells you the number of the footnote, and then you can (in theory) hit pause and read it yourself. Kinda meh. Otoh I understand coming up with an audio-friendly solution is probably impossible.

oh man i loved infinite jest. one of the funniest books i've read. half the comedy was jumping back and forth every couple of pages.

to be fair... i loathed the book for the first 200-300 pages. but i was bored and in uni so i just kept reading. eventually something in me clicked and i couldn't get enough of it! or maybe something in me broke? i guess what i'm trying to say is reading Infinite Jest is like experiencing Stockholm Syndrome... but for a book.

i'm not trying to be ironic or sarcastic. i love the book--10/10, would read again. but i have to remind myself but i hated it at first. it just sorta, you know, grew on me. like a rash.

but the footnotes are part of the experience. there was one that stuck for me where one of the side characters at the academy mentions an essay they wrote and the footnote for it was the essay replicated in full. i had to have been through 500-pages at that point and it was just so loving absurd. it was mad. like being forced to push a boulder up a hill again and again every day.

the audiobook is doing you a favour by getting you to participate in the mechanical absurdity of flipping back and forth through that monstrous tome. (again, big fan of Infinite Jest here)

Sally fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 4, 2020

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
DFW is in the same sort of box as a writer that Jack Kerouac is for me where he is genuinely a very talented and unique writer whose talents are ultimately overshadowed by the obnoxious impact on culture he up having

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
thats some weak poo poo my dude

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Dash Rendar posted:

oh man i loved infinite jest. one of the funniest books i've read. half the comedy was jumping back and forth every couple of pages.

to be fair... i loathed the book for the first 200-300 pages. but i was bored and in uni so i just kept reading. eventually something in me clicked and i couldn't get enough of it! or maybe something in me broke? i guess what i'm trying to say is reading Infinite Jest is like experiencing Stockholm Syndrome... but for a book.

i'm not trying to be ironic or sarcastic. i love the book--10/10, would read again. but i have to remind myself but i hated it at first. it just sorta, you know, grew on me. like a rash.

but the footnotes are part of the experience. there was one that stuck for me where one of the side characters at the academy mentions an essay they wrote and the footnote for it was the essay replicated in full. i had to have been through 500-pages at that point and it was just so loving absurd. it was mad. like being forced to push a boulder up a hill again and again every day.

the audiobook is doing you a favour by getting you to participate in the mechanical absurdity of flipping back and forth through that monstrous tome. (again, big fan of Infinite Jest here)

I'm four hours in and not hating it so far. It's like a loosely tied together collection of essays and observations, sometimes a bit too self-indulgent and rambling. But every now and then there's something I like, like that bit where the failed suicide talks to her doctor. That feels intensely personal and also lacks the pretention some of the other bits in the book have. The fact it's audio facilitates dipping in and out, not a bad option to have for this kind of writing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

No other way to reach him but I just want to say sorry to Eugene V Dubstep that you ate a probe from objectively the worst mod for being objectively right about criticism and critical theory

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I am shocked that a subforum dedicated to podcasts and youtubers (the dregs of society) are full of idiots. completely surprising

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

There's a convention I've seen in a lot of 19th / early 20th century adventures where it's claimed this is a real account the author has verified and is relaying the true story to the reader (Tarzan, Frankenstein, countless others that I can't recall at the moment).

Was this taken at face value by the public or was it a lampshaded trope?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:chloe:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

regulargonzalez posted:

There's a convention I've seen in a lot of 19th / early 20th century adventures where it's claimed this is a real account the author has verified and is relaying the true story to the reader (Tarzan, Frankenstein, countless others that I can't recall at the moment).

Was this taken at face value by the public or was it a lampshaded trope?

this is old as gently caress isn't it? I wanna say it's a hundred years+ older even, did gulliver's travels use this frame? Don Quixote?

It feels like something that would have originally come out of classical era histories or something like that but I don't even know where to look to figure it out. Like in the first part authors finally realized "holy poo poo people could be putting fuckin lies into books!? Who would just write a book and lie in it?? Better let everyone know this is legit." Maybe literature had a certain naiveite like I sort of remember the early internet having.

e: Quixote using it obviously would be for ironical satire reasons, similar to how A True Story starts off explicitly saying it's a lie

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It was a convention mostly owning to the relative youth of the novel as a genre but, no, no one believed it to be true

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It was a convention mostly owning to the relative youth of the novel as a genre but, no, no one believed it to be true
i did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Did Lovecraft incorporate any real history into his early works? In particular, The Tomb references the Hyde family. I'm interested in this because I'm descended from the actual Hyde family among the early New England settlers and wonder if he referenced real historical families in his writing.