Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

KoD could easily have been called "How Robert Jordan Got His Groove Back." Congrats on getting past the CoT doldrums, you're in for a wild ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m almost done with CoT and once I hit the Rand chapters it hasn’t been too bad. Still might get worse but I’ve definitely read worse in my life.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I see you're not really familiar with the Dutch

I'm really not.

I only realized the connection between "Low Countries" and "Nether Lands" within the last year.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

poo poo, I worked for a Dutch chief who would be spot-on for the Domon role. They are hard bastards.

The part with Domon returning their money, plus extra because of the work they did for him is bang-on too. Hard but fair.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Vavrek posted:

I only realized the connection between "Low Countries" and "Nether Lands" within the last year.

Goddammit!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No actually you see th—

mmmhh ...

Mother fucker

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Listening to Fires of Heaven, can someone check something for me in chapter 44? I want to be sure I heard correctly.

Rand is talking to Asmodean deliriously about Sammael and mentions that he remembers when he was first called "Betrayer of Hope". Wasn't that Ishamael?

e: Looks like it was "Destroyer of Hope", not "Betrayer", which makes more sense

bell jar fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 1, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m almost done with CoT and once I hit the Rand chapters it hasn’t been too bad. Still might get worse but I’ve definitely read worse in my life.

Is there ever a bad Rand chapter?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Gathering Storm has a few

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
"Bad Rand" chapter, or bad "Rand chapter"

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
The Ba'alzamon dreams in The Eye of the World are reminding me of one of my favorite moments from later in the series: Rand and Elan sit and chat for a bit in a dream, relatively peacefully. [Spoilers for A Memory of Light.]

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

"Bad Rand" chapter, or bad "Rand chapter"

:thejoke:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I must be hard. Harder. HARD AS IRON!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm still amazed that there are two Andoran high seats who have near identical first names (Perival/Pelivar). It always irked me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I always confuse Dobraine and Darlin.
Is Darlin the one that ends up King of Tear?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I always confuse Dobraine and Darlin.
Is Darlin the one that ends up King of Tear?

Yes, and dobraine is the Steward of carhien.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I'm still amazed that there are two Andoran high seats who have near identical first names (Perival/Pelivar). It always irked me.

I mean...that's not exactly unreasonable for random lords in the same area though?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Torrannor posted:

...I'm not sure I ever realized that these were different people before your post.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

silvergoose posted:

I mean...that's not exactly unreasonable for random lords in the same area though?

I though about writing something to that effect, too. But we expect fiction to avoid confusing us with too close names.

VikingofRock posted:

...I'm not sure I ever realized that these were different people before your post.

One of them is one of the teenager high seats who supports Elayne relatively early, the other is one of the older high seats who are set on supporting Dyelin. It's usually not that bad, but there is one scene with both of them together, and it can get a little bit confusing if you're not paying attention.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I though about writing something to that effect, too. But we expect fiction to avoid confusing us with too close names.

Yeah, though some people (looking at you, mister martin) that deliberately change it up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm in the early/middle parts of Crown of Swords on my big re-read.

The books have gotten longer, and the chapters have gotten longer. I expected that, but this time, I've noticed something that I did not notice before: much of that extra length is just recaps. A lot--and I do mean a lot--of chapters follow a sort of pattern. Recap what happened before, respond to that, then do something new.

At first--I first noticed this somewhere in Fires of Heaven, which means it was probably going on for a book or two before that--recaps were limited to the early chapters in the series. Any that happened later in the book were typically short, and usually after you got back to a character who had been off-screen for a while. But now, as the number of POVs increase, and how some of them disappear hundreds of pages, we're getting lengthy recaps every time there's a POV change, which seems to be every few chapters. Chapters where the recaps are done quickly or in an interesting fashion are getting fewer and farther between. Moghedian's chapter with the mindtrap is one of those. It recaps how she escaped the a'dam, quickly, then moves into the Pit, which is always fun. But that's still the THIRD time we've seen that event.

I know this is going to get worse before it gets better. I'm trying to force myself to read everything in detail without skimming, but it's getting harder.

Also, twice now, Rand's internal thoughts have referenced losing his hand before he would hurt Min.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wonder if it’s cause even Jordan nobody was gonna remember cause it was at least a year between books and who was going to re read that many before the new one?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I wonder if it’s cause even Jordan nobody was gonna remember cause it was at least a year between books and who was going to re read that many before the new one?

*raises hand*

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure most people didn’t though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I’m sure most people didn’t though.

Oh absolutely, I'm just saying I would reread the entire series every Hanukkah :3:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Probably just a convention of the pre-internet world where the author couldn't assume that your average reader had immediate access to an encyclopedia of information about the work in their pocket.

It does make for a slog though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I always did a full series reread in the runup to purchasing a new WoT book.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The recap-react-move forward method is a pretty common thing, across multiple types of media. The purest form of it is the Newspaper Spider-Man comic strips. Every day except Sunday, there's a 3-panel comic that is a recap panel, a reaction panel, and a panel that moves the plot forward. The pace is glacial.

On Sundays you get a bit more movement, because there's six panels. Recap, react, and four panels for something to happen.

It's a tried-and-true method to make sure people know what's happening and can jump in at any time.

The ever-expanding cast of Wheel of Time drives an ever-expanding set of side plots. Every time you switch between them, Jordan has to recap and react. More and more of each book is taken up with recaps and reactions. The series becomes more like weekday Spider-Man comics, which move at a glacial pace.

Same thing happened with Game of Thrones with books four and five. Too many people, spread out too far, doing too many different things.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

The Eye of the World listen report:

I keep having to remind myself Perrin doesn't have a beard yet.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just finished Great Hunt, and I think much like Moiraine tracking people she'd healed, Jordan ended up dropping Rand's taveren senses. I forgot at Falme he could actually feel people and feel he needed them (and they needed him)

I know it reappears but generally it's in a lesser format, if I remember right, and more of the other boys feeling him tug them

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I dunno, the seeing a rainbow flash of colors and a brief insight into what the others are doing continues to be a thing for a long, long time. Rand even wises up and uses that to gather some intel later on, IIRC.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea I’m on knife of dreams now and they’ve been doing the weird ta’veren flashes for a long time and I kinda wonder if that goes anywhere. You’d think it would be rather obvious it only happens when they think of the others.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It becomes useful a couple of times, and has some great awkward moments where a character says without a second's hesitation information that they couldn't possibly know.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It becomes useful a couple of times, and has some great awkward moments where a character says without a second's hesitation information that they couldn't possibly know.

Those are my favorite bits, along with Perrin casually mentioning things that only his wolf-enhanced senses let him notice, without realizing how much that stands out.

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 7, 2020

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I finished Knife of Dreams over the weekend. Very satisfying to finally tie up things that seem to carry over for like 3 books without poo poo happening except for Egwene?

Even though I had Rand's severed hand spoiled by the thread it still came as a complete surprise when it happened. Now I'm looking forward to Thom and Mat rescuing Moiraine and Elaida hopefully reaping all the dumb poo poo she has done. At least I hope that is what happens.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Gnoman posted:

Those are my favorite bits, along with Perrin casually mentioning things that only his wolf-enhanced senses let him notice, without realizing how much that stands out.

Continuing Perrin thoughts: goons had mentioned how obviously Perrin's a leader, when you focus on his actions and not how he feels about himself.

During his whole time with the Tinkers, he's worried constantly about his effect on other people, is thinking all the time of their welfare even when they aren't, and advocates a theory of use of violence that minimizes violence at a society-wide level.

I hadn't seen it all through the leadership lens before.

(He's also worried about Egwene and Aram and vaguely lovely about it, and incredibly turned on by the Tinker women's slow dancing, and embarrassed about being so turned on in public. It's more than just constant Leader Thoughts.)

Something just occurred to me, as I considered Perrin's reactions being those of a young/immature man: people in Randland don't celebrate birthdays, do they?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rereading Eye of the World for the tv show, and I just now noticed after thirty loving years that Paitr the squirrelly darkfriend who talks to Rand and Mat is the same Paitr who shows up much, much later in Amador.

Other than the lady with the burning knife, who I remember from past readings, are there any other minor characters who show up that many books later.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Vavrek posted:

Something just occurred to me, as I considered Perrin's reactions being those of a young/immature man: people in Randland don't celebrate birthdays, do they?

There's reference to Tuon's sixteenth birthday being important, but that's the only reference I can remember. There's a mention somewhere that almost nobody -even the Brown Ajah- use the names of the months very often except in official documents such as treaties (although they clearly act by the calendar rather than the season, as indicated by certain festivals such as Bel Tine being celebrated even when the seasons are screwed up). If you don't even care what month it is, pinpointing and remembering an exact day probably isn't on your priority list.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Tuon's nameday gets mentioned at one point, I remember, I think because Mat starts to freak out wondering exactly how old she is because she's small. I'd expect her birthday might come up as well. When I tried to think of an example, Tuon was the only one who came to mind.

On the months: the one that caught me once was weekdays. Someone makes reference to Sunday and I realized that no one had mentioned a day of the week in thousands of pages, and that it was clearly the Summer solstice festival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Randland uses 10 day weeks as well FYI.