Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Big Beef City posted:

My experience with people downplaying the virus has been the southern governors failing to implement lock-down rules, and here in WI forcing in-person voting at a time when the risks and damages from doing so are currently harming people.
I don't want to increase people's risks because 'people should have some nice news for once'.

I agree, people are willing and happy to go lax at the slightest provocation. House mate here heard on the tv that "dry surfaces" aren't a danger, completely failed to understand that any imperceptible moisture and skin oils make a surface "not dry", and proceeded to ignore any protective measures that didn't pertain to "it spreads between people".

Welp.

Bleusilences posted:

I only think it's a win if it's down, overall, for 7 days and even so.

That's how FT treats the numbers: https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

hobbez posted:

Slowing cases reporting to hospitals indicate slowing, period. For every X factor that causes mortality to be underrepresented there is a y causing it to be over represented. For example, the huge number of sick that never go to the hospital and recover totally.

What're those Y factors, exactly? This is the first time I've seen anyone anywhere claim the numbers are too high in any way, most epidemiologists seem to agree that the positive diagnoses are low by a lot.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Drunk Nerds posted:

Ever since I woke up a few hours ago, I've been having respiratory issues: Need to breathe deeply or else I feel like I'm not getting enough air. I have coughing fits every few minutes that sometimes ends with me losing consciousness for a few seconds. My fingertips feel a little tingly.

98.5 temperature, though, so I'm going to ride this out a little longer to see if it goes away.

Sorry for the insensitive question, but you mention that you "need to breather deeply" - do you have actual trouble breathing or do you feel like you need more air to get the same effect? Just curious because of the hypothesis by some doctors that a key component of the disease is that red blood cells lose the ability to transport oxygen due to the virus tossing out the iron or some such. That would make you feel light-headed, out-of-breath, weak, etc. even if your lungs are working normally. Eventually the lungs get messed up because that tissue also needs oxygen. I'm not a doctor so I should shut up now. Just wondered because of the wording you used didn't sound like my first-hand experience of lung disease.

Take care goon - get rest, keep activity to a minimum, try to stay hydrated and well-nourished, make sure you call for help before you're unable to do so, etc.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I’ve been in lockdown for three weeks. I long for a world where “the weekend” is still a thing.

You don't like the infinite weekend anymore?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I’ve been in lockdown for three weeks. I long for a world where “the weekend” is still a thing.

I'm still having to come into the office, and today I'm supposed to be training multiple people from outside on how to use a mobile phone app ie they need to stand close enough to me to see what I'm doing on a phone screen.

Weekends cannot come fast enough.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

To be honest if the first week of May is trending down it would be the best scenario. Eastern across the world is really were thing will play if we have this under control or not.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Plastik posted:

What're those Y factors, exactly? This is the first time I've seen anyone anywhere claim the numbers are too high in any way, most epidemiologists seem to agree that the positive diagnoses are low by a lot.

I think he means your personal chance of dying if you get infected is lower than the official confirmed case numbers versus death rate of those confirmed cases can make it seem, since without 100% testing coverage testing doesn't cover mild or asymptomatic cases. If you look at confirmed/dead/recovered proportions you could think this thing had a 10-20% fatality rate which i don't think ANYONE is claiming

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm still having to come into the office, and today I'm supposed to be training multiple people from outside on how to use a mobile phone app ie they need to stand close enough to me to see what I'm doing on a phone screen.

Weekends cannot come fast enough.

Download a screen mirroring app and project your phone onto the chrome browser on a pc. Personally i use Vysor for that.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Download a screen mirroring app and project your phone onto the chrome browser on a pc. Personally i use Vysor for that.

yeah if you're using a PC the latest Windows 10 update added phone mirroring to the desktop

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4531293/your-phone-system-requirements-and-set-up

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I prefer my choice - I'm outright refusing to do it. But appreciate the idea, I might grab that for the future.

e: looks like it's Android only, I can always bring in my Apple TV for doing it on the 'conference room' screen though.

Ranidas
Jun 19, 2007
We live in a mid size city in Wisconsin and so far in our area things have been pretty mild. Not a lot of reported cases, and at this point people seem done with the panic buying and grocery stores are fully stocked on everything.

Most are being good with social distancing, but not everyone. My mother in law refuses to stop visiting her family and neighbors, and is hosting an Easter brunch. She thinks we're being silly for not attending. (Fun side note, she's a healthcare professional who sees patients!) She is convinced she would know if she were sick. It's crazy how people can watch the news and see what has happened in other places, but don't feel the need to do anything differently because things aren't bad where they live yet.

I am worried about the uptick in cases we're going to see after today's elections.

We've felt pretty lucky up until now because we both still have our jobs, and our child care is in the form of an Au Pair so we're not trying to watch the kids while working.

Last night, however, our Au Pair revealed to us she is pregnant.

gently caress.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ranidas posted:

gently caress.

Congrats on ur bastard

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Plastik posted:

The asymptomatic or mildly sick folks that have not been tested and are therefore uncounted

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ranidas posted:

We live in a mid size city in Wisconsin and so far in our area things have been pretty mild. Not a lot of reported cases, and at this point people seem done with the panic buying and grocery stores are fully stocked on everything.

Most are being good with social distancing, but not everyone. My mother in law refuses to stop visiting her family and neighbors, and is hosting an Easter brunch. She thinks we're being silly for not attending. (Fun side note, she's a healthcare professional who sees patients!) She is convinced she would know if she were sick. It's crazy how people can watch the news and see what has happened in other places, but don't feel the need to do anything differently because things aren't bad where they live yet.

I am worried about the uptick in cases we're going to see after today's elections.

We've felt pretty lucky up until now because we both still have our jobs, and our child care is in the form of an Au Pair so we're not trying to watch the kids while working.

gently caress.
drat, that's going to be a big inconvenience for you, have you discussed her options with her? she should understand that she needs to consider your needs too

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I prefer my choice - I'm outright refusing to do it. But appreciate the idea, I might grab that for the future.

e: looks like it's Android only, I can always bring in my Apple TV for doing it on the 'conference room' screen though.
Good choice. And yeah, learning how to do this stuff without a huddle will be useful overall. :)

Ranidas posted:

Most are being good with social distancing, but not everyone. My mother in law refuses to stop visiting her family and neighbors, and is hosting an Easter brunch. She thinks we're being silly for not attending. (Fun side note, she's a healthcare professional who sees patients!) She is convinced she would know if she were sick.
Make her read these:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918863&userid=53835
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916924

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
it's not a bad thing to trumpet positive trends because it means that social distancing is working, which is an important thing to point out (while stressing that battle isn't over)

There are plenty of people who think we've shut down the economy for long enough, giving them ammo like "social distancing doesn't help anyway" isn't a good thing.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

it's not a bad thing to trumpet positive trends because it means that social distancing is working, which is an important thing to point out (while stressing that battle isn't over)

There are plenty of people who think we've shut down the economy for long enough, giving them ammo like "social distancing doesn't help anyway" isn't a good thing.

But it doesn't work, we need a full lockdown, we get an "it's working" article every Monday that's debunked by Tuesday

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Fatkraken posted:

I think he means your personal chance of dying if you get infected is lower than the official confirmed case numbers versus death rate of those confirmed cases can make it seem, since without 100% testing coverage testing doesn't cover mild or asymptomatic cases. If you look at confirmed/dead/recovered proportions you could think this thing had a 10-20% fatality rate which i don't think ANYONE is claiming

We don't have 100% coverage for death testing either, though. People are likely dying outside of hospitals, and even in hospitals if you're dead before you're tested there's bad odds that it will be recorded as a Covid-19 death. That's a big part of why each area's numbers are only useful in comparing to earlier or later numbers from the same place, because inconsistencies make cross-comparison impossible.

And I'm operating under the notion that this has a 10% mortality rate, because worst case scenario that's reality, and best case I'm pleasantly surprised.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 7, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Post itt everytime you're pleasantly not dead.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

shovelbum posted:

But it doesn't work, we need a full lockdown, we get an "it's working" article every Monday that's debunked by Tuesday
Stay-at-home has been statistically effective, time-to-double has slowed considerably in the areas that enacted those policies first
Yes, we should be doing more, but the point is that you have to show that the minor steps do make a difference in order to get people to take bigger ones

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ranidas posted:

My mother in law refuses to stop visiting her family and neighbors, and is hosting an Easter brunch. She thinks we're being silly for not attending.
A friend suggests that if she insists on doing this, a call to the non-emergency police line might be warranted.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

Stay-at-home has been statistically effective
Yes, we should be doing more, but the point is that you have to show that the minor steps do make a difference in order to get people to take bigger ones

There's no evidence at all, we're at 33% daily growth that's poorly reported over weekends?

Edit: any other good news is just from less testing lmao

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think optimism can be good for morale but it can also be dangerous, social distancing is working but it's also not being consistently done, even in areas where the virus is already serious, and it needs to be taken far more seriously than it currently is. too much "we've got this thing beat" can lead to carelessness and give ammunition to employers who want to stay open and force people to come in etc. im not saying that we should ignore good news and be doom and gloom about it but we are still in the early part of the lockdowns, which arent even real lockdowns yet, and there are still massive numbers of people ignoring them. that kind of poo poo will lead directly to second and third waves

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 7, 2020

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

shovelbum posted:

There's no evidence at all, we're at 33% daily growth that's poorly reported over weekends?
Look at infection rates in San Francisco and Seattle (the earliest areas to enact stay-at-home)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

unpacked robinhood posted:

Post itt everytime you're pleasantly not dead.

Good way to kill the thread, if followed.

Ranidas
Jun 19, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

drat, that's going to be a big inconvenience for you, have you discussed her options with her? she should understand that she needs to consider your needs too

It's going to be tough on her and we're supporting her with whatever she wants to do, I'm not sure what in that post makes you think otherwise. It is simply a situation that would be tough even in normal times, but being in the middle of a global pandemic is going to make things even more difficult.

Mithaldu posted:

Good choice. And yeah, learning how to do this stuff without a huddle will be useful overall. :)

Make her read these:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918863&userid=53835
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916924

She is not interested in what we have to say, because she is the professional and therefore knows best.

Mithaldu posted:

A friend suggests that if she insists on doing this, a call to the non-emergency police line might be warranted.

Is it actually illegal to gather? I thought in most states it was more of a strong suggestion that you don't.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Earwicker posted:

i think optimism can be good for morale but it can also be dangerous, social distancing is working but it's also not being consistently done, even in areas where the virus is already serious, and it needs to be taken far more seriously than it currently is. too much "we've got this thing beat" can lead to carelessness and give ammunition to employers who want to stay open and force people to come in etc. im not saying that we should ignore good news and be doom and gloom about it but we are still in the early part of the lockdowns, which arent even real lockdowns yet, and there are still massive numbers of people ignoring them. that kind of poo poo will lead directly to second and third waves

The optimism needs to be messaged with "its working, keeping it up", not "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ranidas posted:

Is it actually illegal to gather? I thought in most states it was more of a strong suggestion that you don't.

in my state (california) it's definitely illegal. although it's only enforced in public, and even then only sometimes. people still have house parties and large family dinners etc

in other states at least two religious leaders have been arrested for holding services in spite of the ban on gatherings

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fishing with the fam posted:

The optimism needs to be messaged with "its working, keeping it up", not "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED".

There's no evidence that it's working, testing is declining and nothing gets reported on Sundays

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

shovelbum posted:

There's no evidence that it's working, testing is declining and nothing gets reported on Sundays
fuckit bill mitchell was right let's just reopen everything

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

shovelbum posted:

When it actually starts trending down, not necessarily right now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Earwicker posted:

in my state (california) it's definitely illegal. although it's only enforced in public, and even then only sometimes. people still have house parties and large family dinners etc

in other states at least two religious leaders have been arrested for holding services in spite of the ban on gatherings

"In one of the most iron-fisted containment methods of any state, Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered all California residents to “shelter in place” on Thursday, to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

What that means:

Only employees for “essential” sectors like healthcare, government, and pharmacies are allowed to go to work. Restaurants are open for takeout and delivery only.
Other residents may leave their homes only for exercise or essential items like groceries and prescription medications, keeping six feet between them at all times.
Violations are punishable as a misdemeanor, though Newsom said social pressure will keep people indoors rather than law enforcement."

everyone is still violating this order, gathering in parks and having cocktail hours 'where we stay six feet apart' in their neighborhoods

i got in a fight with someone i've know for almost 20 years when i called them a dipshit for going to starbucks 4 times a day in their pajamas and they just couldn't understand why i couldn't take a joke

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

LimburgLimbo posted:

For real though how are you not embarrassed to be alive

There are studies showing it improves oral health, which is well known to be tied to overall health:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19336860

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27084861

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27891311

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25838632

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21911944

CarlosTheDwarf fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 7, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

We need to close the genuinely non essential industries that are still open everywhere before we will start to see any change

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

wyoak posted:

Other than a merely-half-as-aggravating commute I'm not seeing any real evidence that anybody is following those guidelines.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Other than a merely-half-as-aggravating commute I'm not seeing any real evidence that anybody is following those guidelines.
where do you live? I'm in Denver and it seems like people have been doing a decent job since that run on liquor stores a few weeks back.

Anecdotes don't mean anything on the larger scale obviously but certain areas definitely seem to have populations that are more "in" than others

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

PederP posted:

Sorry for the insensitive question, but you mention that you "need to breather deeply" - do you have actual trouble breathing or do you feel like you need more air to get the same effect? Just curious because of the hypothesis by some doctors that a key component of the disease is that red blood cells lose the ability to transport oxygen due to the virus tossing out the iron or some such. That would make you feel light-headed, out-of-breath, weak, etc. even if your lungs are working normally. Eventually the lungs get messed up because that tissue also needs oxygen. I'm not a doctor so I should shut up now. Just wondered because of the wording you used didn't sound like my first-hand experience of lung disease.

Take care goon - get rest, keep activity to a minimum, try to stay hydrated and well-nourished, make sure you call for help before you're unable to do so, etc.

More air.

Turns out it was a combination of exhaustion (my wife has been quite ill and still working from home so I've been doing childcare & teaching them & working my normal jobs) and hyperventilation from coughing jags.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

where do you live? I'm in Denver and it seems like people have been doing a decent job since that run on liquor stores a few weeks back.

Anecdotes don't mean anything on the larger scale obviously but certain areas are definitely more "in" than others

The clock only starts when the last state is at Wuhan level lockdown and some states are doing nothing and nowhere is doing enough

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

shovelbum posted:

The clock only starts when the last state is at Wuhan level lockdown and some states are doing nothing and nowhere is doing enough
I agree with part 2 of your statement, but no, you don't have to be at Wuhan level lockdown to help alleviate the strain on your local hospitals